April 21, 2014 | 891 users online

Sunscreen - Aveeno - Active Naturals Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion SPF 55

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 11:33:00 AM More reviews by googleit1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Surprised at the bad reviews. This has been my go-to sunscreen for almost a year, and I'm pretty picky. I was using an all-physical that broke me out and my skin was looking rough and dry. I switched to this even though I am pro-physical ss on principle. This is just so easy to use and looks great with makeup. It's a little shiny and white at first but dries down quickly and then looks beautiful on my slightly dry skin. Doesn't sting or feel heavy/sticky, but then again I'm used to heavier ss (IE, it's not super light or fluid like a moisturizer, like some people might be expecting). I don't have a problem with that as I am used to having a heavier formulation for more protection. (It is definitely more of a cream texture. Don't expect it to sink it like a moisturizer, as it does have a slight silicone feel)
What I really like is that when I use this I can tell a noticeable difference in how my skin looks -- more even toned, less pigmentation, smooth. Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) is the first ingredient of the inactive ingredient list -- adding to it's antioxidant and protective properties. Pretty good for a d/s product! Also contains soybean protein to even out tone. I'm very fair, with freckles, and clog prone. This doesn't break me out, my skin has actually been looking better using this. So happy to have found something I don't have to order online and that is not expensive!

Really like this ss and hope they don't discontinue it! I sometimes have trouble finding it, I can only find a smaller Aveeno Active naturals which has completely different ingredients & doesn't contain the Vitamin C : /

rated 3 of 5 on 2/14/2013 1:06:00 AM More reviews by Sinfidel

Pros: broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection, oil-free/non greasy
Cons: very strong scent typical of most sunscreens, esp. high spf ones, and while the product isn't greasy, it leaves behind this residue that feels like silicone? plastic? Extra sunscreen around the rim of the tube opening dries like Elmer's glue.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/20/2012 4:22:00 PM More reviews by pekemeso

I like Aveeno product. This sunblock lotion is not bad.It says lotion but more like cream.It will not running.It dry well, but still you can feel something on your skin. Smells same as other sunblock lotion.So far it works well.Easy to take off too.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2011 7:45:00 PM More reviews by Crista

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Horrible. Hard to blend in. Leaves splotchy white patches on your skin. Everything you don't want in a sunscreen. Thinking of just throwing this bottle away and NEVER re-purchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2011 9:43:00 PM More reviews by happylynngilmer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

There are such mixed reviews for this, and I'm really surprised! I have acne-scarred, sensitive Irish-Scandinavian skin.

I have gone though 2 bottles of this in a little over a year, and am on a new bottle of the spf70, but only because I can't find the 55 ANYWHERE! Even Ulta let me down.

I live in the CA valley, where summers are easily 100+, and winters still 60+. This has never, not once, broken me out, or left a white cast. It acts just like any other moisturizer, and it helps set my mineral powder. It has no smell that I can detect, even brand new bottles of it. It's non-greasy, sinks right in. My skin is fussy and picky, but loves this.

UPDATE: I use Own now, since I have gone paraben free. I was still using this when I gave up parabens though, so I was sad to see it go. Such a great product if not for the icky parabens. :/

rated 1 of 5 on 12/12/2010 4:08:00 AM More reviews by stanuella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

my skin was burning like crazy straight after i put it on, then the next day I was itchy all over...yuk. using words like "hypoallergenic" & "natural" - you must be kidding, just look at those ingredients :(

rated 3 of 5 on 12/2/2010 6:09:00 PM More reviews by wonderhj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like that the SPF is so high on this one. I don't know exactly how much this is because I got this as part of some beauty magazine's summer beauty set (I forget which magazine but the set got sold out immediately).

This does not feel heavy under makeup and it does not sting like some sunblocks do. The only thing is that one day I put this on under makeup, get in my boyfriend's car, he leans over to kiss me and he asks "do you have sunblock on?". I was surprised since he never asked me this when I had other sunblock products on. It didn't really bother me (the smell or the fact that the BF noticed) but if you have a boyfriend whose nose is sensitive to sunblock and you dont' want your boyfriend to notice then I guess I recommend that you don't get this product LOL.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2010 5:13:00 AM More reviews by cherryxcutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm fair skinned and burn very easily, very quickly so sunblock is an essential part of my daily routine. This is by far, one of the best! It's super light, non-greasy, blends in easy and provides great protection against the sun. I think the scent is really quite subtle (nice, even) compared to a lot of other sunblocks I've used, it smells just like a regular moisturizer really. I only use this on my body, not my face so I'm not sure if it would cause break outs, but it's so light I doubt it.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2010 3:13:00 AM More reviews by choshinsei

First time I tried this sunscreen, I think I used most of it on my neck and sparingly on the rest of my body. This was when I was on a vacation and in a hot area, so I figured maybe it was the climate that made me react that way. I also had a different face lotion, so I figured the face lotion was the culprit for the burning sensation that happened when I got back to the hotel. I ended up with hives on my neck from possibly the face lotion, sunscreen and a food allergy.

I tried this sunscreen again after the initial set of hives went down, and once again... small itchy bumps all over my skin at random times. And on my neck I have red patches of itchy marks at random places on my neck. Then I came and read the reviews here to find that a few other people had the same itchy red bumps reaction, and the review about it being the most chemical/unsafe sunscreen... Aish. In the trash this thing goes! Don't get it. The quest for a sunscreen that doesn't break me out continues on...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2010 8:30:00 PM More reviews by jejkim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

This sunblock is great! Got it as a sample from a dermatologist friend and have been using it daily for about a week.

There's no noticeable smell, or even white cast as others have reviewed. I'm not quite sure if it's used for the face or the body or both, but I've been using it solely on my face (skipping my regular moisturizer) and I love the texture. It sinks immediately into the skin and leaves it soft with a slight film. I've used liquid and powder foundation over it and haven't had any problems. Didn't break me out either. For those with problems, you may need to add makeup base for different results.

I've never been let down with any of Aveeno's products, this one included. This product is oil free and I don't notice any greasiness - that may be due to your own additional products that you use. It gives an spf of 55 and both uva/uvb protection. My facial skin stays moisturized and hydrated way beyond 12 hours. I'd definitely purchase this product if spending a lot of time outdoors and during the summer.