December 22, 2014 | 905 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Brown Black

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2014 5:09:00 AM More reviews by skim6926

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

If you want the Goth look and your hair to look so black it's almost purple or blue, then this dye and color is the product for you. However I wanted a really deep, dark brown but this color looked jet black immediately after coloring.

The pros:
-it seems like a good hair dye; with the exception of the color the formula is as good as any of the other more expensive brands
-no ammonia; the scent is quite pleasant
-incredible price
-hair looks lustrous and shiny immediately after coloring
-completely and easily covers grays

The cons:
-the colors are mislabeled; I'll try the lighter brown colors and see if they can produce a dark brown

I read some other reviews about washing the dye out of your hair with clarifying shampoo for a few days for dark dyes and will try that but I've been successful with other dyes that produce the color I want immediately after the first color. For the price however, it's worth one more try with another color

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2014 2:39:00 AM More reviews by LydiaGee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used the newer product, Revlon Colorsilk 3D Color Technology #20 Brown Black, to cover my previous hair color - auburn after 3 months of waiting.

It is a level 2 black hair dye in neutral tone.

It was inexpensive so I bought 3 because I have very full long wavy hair. It was easy to mix and did not have a chemical smell. The product was very watery and difficult to apply with out splashing everywhere. It turned my hair hard while waiting the 20 minutes. It took a long time to wash out but that is expected with any "black" hair dye. Unfortunately, my hair was tangled, dry, and felt waxy. The color looked more like jet black level 1.

As with any darkest brown or black brown hair dye, you have to continue to wash the hair dye out to remove the dye residue. I used a clarifying shampoo for the past couple of days as well as a good conditioner and hair mask. The rest of the dye washed out and my hair felt soft and healthy again. The color lightened to the color on the box which is absolutely fabulous! The color is a natural darkest brown without being black. It's a nice color to have when black looks to harsh on you - as it does on me. I am very pleased with the color and will even try Revlon Luxurious Buttercream in Brown Black in the future.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2014 9:09:00 PM More reviews by AngieGCarp

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a gorgeous ALMOST black but not so harsh. I am hooked on it. I use it to cover gray and to enhance my hair color. My hair is always VERY shiny from using this and the odor to me is mild. Best of all, this costs 2.97 at Target and Walmart...uh...no one knows or cares where you got your hair done as long as you look good. It have used this hair color for more than 10 years and I get compliments on my hair all the time..I laugh internally knowing how much this costs to maintain. I love it!

Happy Makeuping!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2014 12:52:00 PM More reviews by suzanneb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I dyed my hair yesterday with this color, Colorsilk in Dark Brown matches my roots perfectly but when it starts to fade they become lighter than the rest of my hair (darkest ash brown) so I decided to go with #20 this time, color came out very even and shiny, appears to match seamlessly with the rest of my hair, it covered the med/dark brown roots, I like that the mix is brown/green, hair color looks super dark brown/darkest brown with a touch of warm brown. I really hope this color stays the same on roots.
EDIT: washed my hair and the water was running brown, also my towel was stained brown, I am sad that a lot of the brown color washed out, next coloring I will probably go back to Ebony Mocha.
Two weeks later and all the brown washed out, my hair looks beautiful and shiny but this color is a "natural soft black", there's not a drop of dark brown in my hair, I am glad I am in a black hair kick otherwise I would be very disappointed.
March 21, used this color again, washed my hair today and water was running brown, same as before, however the color pay-off is pretty good, my hair looks super dark and shiny

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by GreenFruit

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love Colorsilk so much, It just works. It doesn't smell, it doesn't damage my hair, it doesn't sting or itch, it's dirt cheap, it doesn't drip everywhere, and the color lasts forever. If I ever stray and use another box brand, there is always something off. Hot roots, uneven color, and other brands are so expensive. The only downside is that the gloves in the kit are really crappy, but I have a box of gloves for dying my hair anyway, and I know it keeps the overall cost low. I have fine, pixie short, naturally dark blonde hair that I dye very dark brown. I use either this or dark brown, and I feel like they both come out about the same color. I've never compared it side-by-side, though. I recommend this to everyone wanting very dark, permanent color.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2013 11:31:00 AM More reviews by shortii53

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Very nice dark brown shade with neutral tones. I have naturally light-medium brown hair. I wanted to go darker. Normally I use wash out dyes to darken but I didn't love any of the shades. I wanted to try black but was afraid it would look too harsh against my fair skin and light eyes. I decided to give this dark brown/black a try based on reviews. Love the color. My hairs looks soooo shiny and rich in photos. The color really isn't too harsh or dark for fair ladies. I usually dye my hair light so sometimes I can't handle the drastic change to dark. Really was a vdry pretty shade. The color looked natural too. It's so cheap. Definitely worth a try. I don't normally buy Revlon hair color but really liked this particular shade.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2013 2:17:00 AM More reviews by voguebelle

I applied this above a faded dark auburn red, and the color came out just as it looks on the box, just with reddish tones in certain sunlight. I would say it darkened about 3 tones from what i originally had so its going to take some time to get used to. The color is absolutely beautiful, it even made my ends appear healthier. This will be my go to hair color until i dare to go darker. Recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 11:10:00 AM More reviews by ashmoe22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have been using this color on my hair for the last 2 years. My natural hair color is very light brown, but I wanted something darker and more dramatic without being jet black. This color is exactly that. It's not so black that it doesn't look natural. (People think it's my real hair color.) It's easy to use and root touch ups are simple. Like any hair dye, it can be messy to use, but that is normal. I use it every month or two, and I haven't noticed any damage to my hair in the last 2 years. The price is great too. I'm going to continue to use this color until I get sick of it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2013 4:55:00 AM More reviews by sprite26

This stuff right here? Absolutely positively destroyed my hair. I started using it because I wanted a box color to cover my greys and I wanted a permanent color that wouldn't wash out despite its claims of being permanent- I'm looking at you, Feria! But anyway, this color did the trick and I continued to use it for well over a year. And then one day I looked up and simply could not believe what a mess my hair had become. Dry, scraggly, straw-like. That's the thing about this dye, it gave good results initially but was extremely damaging over time. Using this product on a regular basis, the damage will sneak up on you.
I started a routine of protein treatments combined with deep conditioning and regular trims to try to fix my hair. In the end I basically had to wait for the mess to simply grow out altogether.
I have since switched to Clairol Nice n Easy and have been very pleased. My hair improved a million percent after I stopped using ColorSilk.
One more thing and I don't know if this is specific to this particular shade, but after a couple of weeks of shampoos the dark brown fades quite a bit and leaves a burgundy tint to the hair. If you don't mind people asking you if you've dyed your hair burgundy then this might not be a problem.
It's cheap and there's a reason why! Will never ever purchase this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2012 6:50:00 PM More reviews by waterlilly26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Wow! I was in walmart the other night and I happened to wonder into the hair dye area, browsing through, I thought "I haven't used a box dye in over 10 yrs!" I had no idea witch one to use. I usually go to sally's for my hair dying needs. I knew I wanted something to pep up my color and was about to walk away thinking, "I'll just go to sally's", when I saw this brand for $2.99! I decided to try it, it couldn't hurt, it was so cheap I wouldn't mind having to go get my regular dye if needed. Well whataya know! I don't need to! Lol I LOVE this color, gave me the pep I was looking for and made my hair really shiny. I'm going to go buy a couple of boxes to keep for when it starts to fade. Very happy I tried it.