October 24, 2014 | 1306 users online

Mascara - Pop Beauty - Smokey Lash Kapow!!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2014 5:22:00 PM More reviews by sekhmet

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been wanting to write a review on this for a while, because it has certainly made an impression on me! First of all, I got this in the "Pop Green Eyes" kit that I bought for the palette. Of course, since I got the mascara as well, I'm using it, and it's very peculiar. As others have stated, the packaging is a basic tube with pretty silver flowers scrolled on it, and the applicator is also average--so far, so good. When I apply this, however, I can immediately tell the difference between this formula and most of the other mascaras I have used in my life (and there have been many!). The actual mascara seems thin, and it's kind of hard to get it to come off onto my sparse lashes. It doesn't build up volume, but it sticks your lashes together if you're not careful, and then it seems to take longer than usual to dry. The result looks kind of spiky--no smoky lashes, no kapow. As for wear, I haven't had a really bad experience with this as some other reviewers have reported. I work in an office and don't usually sweat while working, although I do have oily eyelids, and I haven't experienced flaking or raccoon eyes. But when I wash my face in the evening...that's when things get really interesting. I wash my eyes along with the rest of my face, and this mascara comes off in little wormlike strings that I sometimes have to pick or wipe off my face! I have thankfully never experienced this with any other mascara I have ever used. It's annoying, but I continue to use the mascara because I'm thrifty and don't want to throw it out. This is not a good product, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2013 4:02:00 PM More reviews by KatieBurry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

Not sure why everyone hates this mascara so much... I got a trial size in my Ipsy bag earlier this year. I already have fairly long lashes, so I don't usually look for lengthening mascaras, I go crazy for a mascara that makes my lashes look extra thick and lush, and this mascara did just that. Made my lashes look nice and thick without clumping. I work retail and where I work I'm constantly going up and down stairs and I never noticed and terrible smudging or running.

Overall I was very happy with it and was going to purchase it again before I saw the reviews for Pop Beauty's Peak Performance mascara - which I'm now considering trying instead. Still super happy with Smokey Lash Kapow, though.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2013 1:29:00 AM More reviews by Carrie525

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received this from Ipsy. I have not heard of this brand so I was eager to give it a go. The packaging is cute and this type of wand works for me. I don't mind he larger barrel of the wand at all. The color is a nice sooty black.

I can't speak to the curl holding ability because I do not curl my lashes. Otherwise I didn't have any problems with application of this mascara. It didn't clump for me. After one coat I was happy with the way my lashes looked but gave a second coat to the tips to add some length and pop them a little. I was pleased with the way this mascara worked at first.

I went to work. I work in an office with an air conditioner set on Glacier. I talk on the phone most of my shift. Nothing strenuous, nothing that makes me sweat or cry. I don't rub my eyes or touch my face. So when I took a little trip by a mirror about 2 hours in and saw raccoon eyes like I haven't seen around my eyes in decades, I was shocked. It was clearly a mascara issue. Not the eyeliner, not my concealer creating problems.

Once upon a time mascaras ran like this all the time. It was kind of a given back in the day you had to check your mascara often to make sure it wasn't running everywhere but this hadn't been an issue in decades. There are too many great mascaras out there now for me to put up with this anymore. I wiped away the mess and kept on top of it for the rest of the day -- felt like I wa back in high school... but I'm tossing this cute lil tube. Bummer.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/25/2013 12:43:00 AM More reviews by darkopacity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this with a coupon at Ulta, but I wouldn't even use this mascara for free. On the plus side, it holds the curl in my lashes, which every waterproof mascara should do. The downside is that the formula is really thin, and doesn't do much to lengthen or volumize.

An even WORSE thing it does, is that it bends the tips of my lashes in horrible fly legged directions. It looks disgusting and sloppy. I run into this problem with mascaras that aren't friendly to thin lashes, and this is one of them.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2013 8:43:00 AM More reviews by daisyeyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh wow, this is some bad mascara. I received it in an ipsy glambag. It is a dryer formula with a traditional brush that tapers down at the end. Application was ok. Wore it once for work. I work in an office and don't work up a sweat during the day. By mid-afternoon, I had racoon eyes. I cleaned it up and went to work out. I looked like something out of a horror movie after my workout. Would not buy this. If you decide otherwise, this is a daywear mascara, at most. It won't give you fabulous long, lush lashes to bat for a night out. And it may scare your co-workers during the day.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2013 7:03:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pop Beauty is a UK beauty brand that made it's way to the States a couple years ago. I received a sample of their new Smokey Lash Kapow mascara in my March Ipsy Bag. Pop Beauty says their Smokey Lash Kapow "fattens each lash to give a maximum volumizing end result. It delivers an ultra black, extra glossy finish that is tear (from crying, of course!), swim (go on, just jump in!), rub (well, you never know), and sweat proof (dancing is such good exercise!). This mascara is fragrance and fiber free, ophthalmologist tested, and safe for contact lens wearers and sensitive eyes. I was super excited when I saw this mascara in my Ipsy bag, as yinz know I'm a total mascara addict. The full size of Pop Beauty's Smokey Lash Kapow mascara retails for $18.50 (£10.50 in the UK). Pop Beauty is sold at Ulta in the United States. This mascara was made in China. I'm unsure if Pop Beauty tests on animals or not.
Packaging for Pop Beauty's Smokey Lash Kapow is cute. A black tube with silver flowers and the brand logo printed on it. The product name can be found on the bottom label. I believe the full size tube is different. The brush for this mascara is pretty basic. A classic bristle brush, the bristles are short and even in length, spiraling around the wand. Smokey Lash Kapow's brush tapers into a very slight point. Overall this brush is easy to work with, but nothing innovative.
I'm just gonna be straight forward and say it -its been a long time since I've used a mascara as bad as Pop Beauty's Smokey Lash Kapow Mascara. This is a truly awful mascara. As promised, it "fattens" the lashes, by clumping them together. While Smokey Lash Kapow does a decent job at lengthening the lashes, the length is canceled out when the heavy, wet formula weighs my lashes down and uncurls them. If that isn't enough of a negative, the wear for Pop Beauty's mascara is atrocious. Just sitting here writing posts it was flaking and smearing on my face and glasses. This mascara can barely stay on for an hour. I don't know how Pop Beauty can bill their Smokey Lash Kapow as waterproof when it only only flakes and smudges for no reason, but also wipes right away with water or a makeup wipe.
Pop Beauty Smokey Lash Kapow is a pathetic excuse for a mascara. It clumps, can't hold a curl, and it'll turn you into a raccoon (and not a cute one). The brush is so plain, which isn't exactly a bad thing, I just think for $18.50 it could be a little more interesting. I'm sorely disappointed by Pop Beauty's Smokey Lash Kapow mascara and now I'm kinda put off of the brand. I've previous browsed Pop Beauty's display at Ulta with a moderate amount of interest, the brand seems fun, but now I seriously doubt their quality. I'd go as far as to say this is one of the worst product I've received from Ipsy. I'm going to toss this mascara right out. I certainly do not recommend Pop Beauty's Smokey Lash Kapow.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/30/2013 7:08:00 PM More reviews by bfish14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this product in a travel size to try it out. The packaging was really cute - black with little flowers on it - but that was as far as the wow factor went. I tried using this alone, with eyelash primer, and pairing it with another mascara but no matter what - it still clumped. The wand is very standard which may be part of the issue because it makes it difficult to surround the lash and pull it forward. I do not recommend this partly because it doesn't do a great job and it also not at all worth the price tag.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/26/2013 12:06:00 AM More reviews by littleann818

Got this in my IPSY bag. Tried it and this just didn't work for me. It tends to apply really thick, a little clumpy, and I find myself applying several coats before I really see it making a difference (I do have dark brown/black lashes naturally). The staying power is average but by the end of the night when removing this mascara is it quite flaky and hard to take off without getting small bits and pieces all over my eye and face (even with a makeup remover)---which is my pet peeve with removing eye makeup! I would not purchase this again and unfortunately this product will probably be sitting in the back of my makeup drawer. :(

rated 4 of 5 on 4/22/2013 11:01:00 AM More reviews by Bunmum2013

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I do love this product. My lashes are naturally long and curly but blonde. This thickens them and makes them look great! I use Anastasia Lash Genius over it to waterproof it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2013 6:43:00 PM More reviews by timothybcat

Bad mascara. Bad, bad, bad. I've never had a problem with mascara smudging this terribly. I'm very good about not touching my eyes when I'm wearing mascara, so I was surprised to see smudges above my crease where my lashes touch my brow bone the first couple of times I wore this. I thought it was from me rubbing my eyes, or because I'd had a long day at work, but no. I wore it today and all I've done is make a short trip to grocery store and taken the dog out. The air is cold and dry. And THIS time it smudged UNDER my eyes. I repeat, I have never had a mascara smudging problem. And it doesn't even do much! It's the crappiest little old-fashioned spoolie-type brush and barely lengthens. Volumization? Forget about it. The worst mascara I've ever tried.