September 23, 2014 | 1929 users online

Concealers - Almay - smart shade

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 9/7/2014 12:51:00 AM More reviews by AnnaCatEyes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am involved in activities that put me in outside for 9-12 hours a week. Do to this (and my skin that tans very easily) my skin tone is constantly evolving. I've always had trouble finding concealer that can adapt to this. And I thought that I had found a good fix with Smart Shade. The first few weeks it worked extremely well, but only after a moth the concealer has began to separate in the tube and a brown liquid puddle accompanies every dollop of product. Not only that, but the liquid has begun seeping out the tip and into the lid. Just to apply it I have to blend it on my hand before I blend it on my face. It doesn't help when I'm short on time.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/13/2014 2:24:00 PM More reviews by cmccabe1952

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Awful. Separates no matter what you do.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/21/2014 6:06:00 PM More reviews by alissas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

WORST. CONCEALER. EVER. First, no matter how much you shake the tube, the product separates badly. When you squeeze it onto your finger or a sponge, it comes out as a dark brown oily liquid (which can't be good for my acne-prone skin) and a blob of whitish paste. After blending the two, you get an uber-light oily concealer. Although my skin tone is very pale and I always need the lightest shade of foundations and concealers, this was still way too light for me. Even worse, the coverage was poor...it was far too sheer to conceal either red marks from acne or dark eye circles. Layering did not help the coverage, it only made it obvious that I was wearing concealer. Yet after washing my hands with soap, I could still see some of the concealer on my fingers! I guess you need makeup remover to get it off properly. I'm also not crazy about the tube packaging...I prefer sticks or pencils that are easier to apply and less prone to spillage in my purse.

Would not recommend or repurchase. In fact, I'm taking this back to Target to see if they will refund my money.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/7/2014 12:54:00 PM More reviews by Couchesarefun333

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

I had heard about this concealer and i thought the "Smart Shade" aspect would work well for me as I have discoloured spots. I asked for it for Christmas as I realized I wanted to try it around Christmas Time. I tried it and was extremely dissapointed. The Titile is a lie. It did not match my skin tone at all, and maybe I just bought the wrong one but even had I got a lighter shade, it was quite orange. I hate orange-ish makeup, therefore the only time that I use this is when i use my other poorly constructed concealer by Almay that is too light for my skin. When mixed they have nice coverage , but alone; never work for me.

I very much do not reccmend trying this product. If you are looking for a nice concealer go for the Covergirl FreshComplexion which I absolutely adore.

In conclusion, I can safely say that my holy grail concealer is definetely not from Almay.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/29/2013 2:25:00 AM More reviews by Notaglamourpuss1

Yes it matches skin tone but that's where it ends. Doesn't do an even so-so job of concealing imperfections,which judging from the name of the product is not the focus here.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/11/2013 10:50:00 PM More reviews by Mguthrie0206

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

As a concealer, I'd give this product average rating. The hue looked a tad yellow on my skin, it didn't really blend that well. The texture was good but the look just wasn't natural enough for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2013 1:23:00 AM More reviews by veelui

it doesnt really work as a concealer imo, so i kept it and just use it as a foundation, just like the full size bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2013 9:47:00 PM More reviews by KellyLee1988

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this concealer. I honestly bought it on a whim, lured by a sign stating that if I didn't like the product, I could return it. I'd been considering a new concealer (my other one was a powder formula and had a few issues...crepey under my eyes and orange everywhere else.) but finding a match for both under my eyes AND on the rest of my face is a challenge and I'm too lazy to want to have to use multiple products.

In all honesty, I bought this thinking it couldn't possibly work and I would probably be returning it (for a full refund). Curiosity got the best of me.

It turned out to be a pretty awesome product. Somehow, it does what it promises- at least on my skin (I have a hard time believing this works for everyone, but I seem to have the perfect skin for it). It stays on very well (hardly any creases at all by the end of the day, and the coverage lasts and lasts.)

My one gripe, is that I wish it covered better. It is buildable, but it's harder to get good coverage on blemishes (since the act of blending it in, rubs it OFF of the pesky little demons, but this is a problem that I've had with EVERY concealer that I've tried thus far. So far, this one has performed better than all the others.)

I'd definitely buy this again.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/14/2013 11:10:00 AM More reviews by pk23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This concealer is just OK. Overall the 'smart shade' idea does work, the concealer will blend quite naturally into the skintone/foundation colour very nicely. However I find the coverage is quite limited. It can cover a small pimple well but when it comes to the under eye darkness it is almost like nothing has been applied. Just a slight difference but I still look like I've barely slept.
In saying that I think it is good for photographs as sometimes the mismatch of concealer colour can show up in flash photos especially under the eyes but generally I just use my foundation as a concealer to keep a consistent colour if I know a photo is being taken.
Overall I highly doubt I will ever repurchase this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2013 2:29:00 AM More reviews by rolltide17

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Honestly it seems to me more like a full coverage foundation than concealer because it didn't help much for my under eye darkness, but it was really good at evening out my skintone/slight discoloration around my nose and cheeks. I'm happy that it stayed put throughout my 6 hour school day with no touchups needed.

Note: A lot of people say it turns their skin orange but I didn't get that at all! I think it's because I got the 010 Light/pale, and I would definitely classify my skin as medium and olive colored, not pale at all. (But the color still ended up matching my skin.) Also nice that it has SPF.

Overall I wouldn't repurchase as a concealer, but I would purchase if I found it on sale just as a backup "foundation."