November 24, 2014 | 1763 users online

Cleansers - BeneFit Cosmetics - You clean up nice!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/8/2011 10:49:00 PM More reviews by chanceofrain

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I started using this about 3 years ago on the rec of the girl working at the Benefit counter. She told me that it was great for sensitive skin. My first thoughts on using it was that it smells an awful lot like dish soap, but it's not a bad odor, just different. It did a great job of cleaning my super sensitive skin... until about a year ago. I noticed with every use, my skin was literally painful to the touch after using it, plus red, and it seemed like it was not really cleaning my face as well as it used to. I'm not sure if they changed the formula because they were coming out with the new line, but it was disappointing because I'm a huge Benefit fan, just not of a lot of their newer stuff. I moved onto Philosophy and haven't looked back since. I gave it two lippies because it did work for me for 2 years, just not sure what happened.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2010 3:53:00 PM More reviews by kategower3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was never a fan of facial wash cleansers until I found this one. Some people may find it to be expensive but I rated it a 3 as you only need a tiny bit to foam up quite a lot. 200ml is a fair amount and I've only just finished my bottle after buying it 2 months ago. The best thing about this product is that it does what it says!! I wear mascara everyday, and a strong black waterproof eye liner on nights out.....this little baby will shift that easily! When I'm in the shower I wet my face then squeeze a tiny bit into my hands and lather it up... I rub my eyes and lashes with it as well as my face and neck. When I've rinsed my MU is all gone, every last bit. The best facial wash by far and it smells nice and lemony. I don't get any breakouts from it which I've got from other facial washes but that's probably because this is oil and soap free. I've used other mid brand facial cleansers before that are a little pricier and don't last anywhere near as long.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/5/2010 10:13:00 PM More reviews by Theharts4

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Let me start by saying that I LOVE Benefit, but this product is just awful for my skin. After just 2 weeks of using this I had the worst case of cystic acne on my chin that I have ever had in my life (I'm in my 30's and just don't get cystic acne). I think iit literally stripped my skin of any natural oils, so my oil production most likely increased dramatically to try to make up for the loss. It went straight into the garbage. Steer clear for sure! I am still dealing with the mess it left behind 2 weeks later.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2010 9:07:00 AM More reviews by antheasarah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product as it removes all my makeup effortlessly and completely, which my Origins cleanser just wasn't doing. However, I do feel it is quite harsh (feels quite stingy on the skin) and wonder if I should be using it given how dry and sensitive my skin can be.

At the moment I'm not working so not wearing make up every day. Perhaps if I was using it every day I'd notice an adverse reaction to my skin.

I apply my favourite Origins cleanser after I use this so hopefully this soothes and calms my skin after using it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2010 11:52:00 AM More reviews by redmakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

does a nice job of cleaning and really takes everything off. The smell isn't the best and the container could be more sleek. Also it does overly dry out my skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/24/2008 12:40:00 PM More reviews by walk6860

Okay...this may very well be FINE for normal skin. I have combination/sensitive problem skin and for me this cleanser was a DISASTER!!!! My forehead was shiny after using this (that SQUEEEEEKY clean look that i HATE.) It removed all the essential oils from my skin and really dehydrated me...i broke out almost immediately! I wanted to think the best of BeneFIT as I love the brand, but after several infuriating attempts I have decided to use this as a body wash.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2008 9:33:00 AM More reviews by missgiggly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

My review for this is not going into ingredients... I know nothing about it! I looove the citrusy sweet smell (but not tart) and it leaves my face feeling SOOO smooth, and soft, to follow up with a cleanser, or moisturiser afterwards makes me feel *complete* and that I'm taking care of my skin. Lately I haven't even been using my makeup remover wipes, I feel as if this does the job, and even when I do a light scrub over my whole face, it doesn't sting the eyes or anything. It is *very* pricey... it made me nearly regret it, but when I use LESS than the size of a 5 cent piece.. its going to last a LONG time. I love this stuff.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2008 5:24:00 PM More reviews by Carys

EDIT 8/1/08: Being cheap, I actually used up my bottle of this cleanser, despite what I said about it below. I used it exclusively (trying to use it up faster) morning and night for a week and it brought out my dry spots--flakey, red, and irritated. I actually have combo skin and the dry spots that flank my mouth only show when I'm overstripping my skin. Needless to say, I had to stop. I think it's just been too long since I've used a detergent-based cleanser (I usually use Origin's cleansing oil or Fresh's soy cleanser). So my advice to dry and/or sensitive types (which I'm actually neither) is to get a sample first.
------
(Disclaimer: I am not a health-care specialist or a scientist. What I say should not be taken as an expert's opinion, and I encourage readers to do their own research on the topics I discuss in this review.)
---
Benefit markets this as a soap-free cleanser, but I would argue otherwise. I think what they mean to say is that this product is glycerin free, but please do not be fooled. Instead of soap (i.e., glycerin), You clean up nice! uses a detergent: sodium laureth sulfate (SLES). While I'm not a dermatologist or chemist (I'm just a skincare enthusiast), I thought that glycerin (soap) is actually preferable to detergents (like the SLES used in this product). Detergents are basically foaming agents that are cheaper to manufacture than glycerin/soap, so companies go with detergents even though they're not necessarily safer for use. Indeed, a quick search online shows that the detergent SLES has been shown to be both carcinogenic and a skin irritant, and its toxicity has been a point of concern for many researchers. So when Benefit says that this is a soap-free cleanser, they mean this in the worst way. Here, soap/glycerin would actually be superior than the detergent they use. Sodium laureth sulfate is cheaper and worse for your health and your skin. (Sorry I went on for so long about this--I just feel that since they market this as a "soap-free" cleanser, we need to analyze and be honest about what "soap-free" means and if it's really a good thing or not.)
-------
Now, on to the actual product review! I'll start with the pros:
- The orange blossom smell is very refreshing and light. It's a nice fragrance to wake up to in the morning.
- It lathers easily, spreads easily, and rinses easily. Nice for when you're in a rush in the morning. It's a clear gel that foams up into a dense lather.
- If you like squeaky-clean, it does leave your skin with that feeling. (I, however, don't and don't feel that it's necessarily good for your skin to be squeaky clean.)
- The press-top lid is easy-to-use.
----
The cons:
- I hail from the camp of "squeaky doesn't mean clean," so I don't like the feeling. I think the squeaky feeling just tricks people into thinking their skin is clean, and, worse, it achieves this by removing your skin of its natural oils.
- The active ingredients are detergents. It's the detergents that are responsible for making the skin squeaky. Plus, research has shown sodium laureth sulfate to be irritating to the skin with prolonged use.
- I didn't find that it takes makeup off well. Foams well, yes, but actually cleaning grime off? Not great--much like any other detergent-based cleanser. Use makeup remover or cleansing wipes prior to using this if you have a full face of makeup to take off.
----
The conclusion:
There's nothing new or exciting here. You clean up nice! uses the same detergents that cleansers from the last few decades leading up to now have used. That was actually my initial thought when I used it for the first time: "This is just like what I used to use before I could afford the good stuff." There is no new or innovative technology here. I'm disappointed that, in an age where companies are trying to move forward with better, safer, healthier ways of taking care of skin, Benefit has decided to run backwards in time. SLES is cheap and harmful to the skin and the body, and, quite frankly, using it in cleansers is part of an old-fashioned approach to skin care. The best way to put it is that this cleanser, to me, felt like the cleansers that I was trying to move away from. It doesn't condition the skin, it doesn't pamper it, and, as far as cleansing goes, I have cleansers that were cheaper to acquire that work better *and* are healthier/safer for me to use. So, ladies and gentlemen, hold on to your oil cleansers, your cream cleansers, and, heck, even your Purity. $23 for decades' old technology (that's now been proven to be bad for you) is ridiculous. It's ridiculous just like its "soap-free" claim, since it would have actually been healthier and better for buyers if it *did* have real soap in it instead of detergent. I love Benefit, but this is a big let-down. It smells nice, but for $23 in the year 2008, I expect a lot more innovation. It's seriously like they didn't even try to come up with something better, and, instead, made the "soap-free" claim to pretend like it's something new. This is an overpriced, pedestrian product. Needless to say, I will not repurchase.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No