April 18, 2014 | 1748 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dolce Vita

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2014 10:23:00 AM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is one of those products that I keep trying to make work because it was a ridiculously over priced mistake to buy. The color is a+ very pretty universally flattering shade but that's about the only positive thing I've got. Matte lip colors need to have a great formula that keep lips hydrated so that it wears well. This dries my lips out so badly that even if I exfoliate before applying, within an hour this looks patchy and my lips look gross and dehydrated. Formula wise I've used $3 lip crayons from Sally's that wear better than this. You can apply over a matte lip balm which helps but lessens the staying power and for $25 you shouldn't need a second lip product to make this work. Perhaps I got a dud because this gets great reviews but I'd never consider rebuying.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/26/2014 12:56:00 AM More reviews by MERdusa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

On the one hand, the colour is insane. It looks so good, it's a like second skin for your lips that has the ability to subtlety improve any pout. It's matte (my finish of choice), and I cannot get over the colour!

Here's the bad news.
It's so overpriced it should be criminal. It's lasted me a fraction the time a regular lipstick would, and the packaging is the general laziness surrounding pencil lipsticks.

AND- it tends to wear off reeeeally fast. The colour's great, until you catch a glimpse of yourself a little later on. Application after application makes it go fast too.
I'm currently in the market for a replacement via MAC, there's where you'll get bang for your buck.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2013 1:18:00 PM More reviews by YoHarajuku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This a fantastic lipstick. The colour is classy but understated shade. The texture is just as describe velvety and smooth. I love how it feels on the lips, it sits comfortably and I don't feel it the way I might with a regular lipstick. The unfortunate thing is I can't stand the smell! Its overly sweet like gummy bears or something. Most girls won't mind this but its just not my cup of tea. I hate strong smelling cosmetics. But I highly recommend to anyone else. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2013 10:20:00 PM More reviews by plumblush

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is one of those products that isn't fantastically impressive in any particular way, but is just so darn useful! It's appropriate for just about anything you're doing. For that reason, I'll buy it over and over again even though I'm not deep in love with it.

Despite the fact that it doesn't wow me with color or texture (maybe I'm too much of a product whore?) whenever I wear it, someone says, "You look so nice today!" So, it must do something for my face that's pretty nice. The color of Dolce Vita is difficult to describe, and seems to look a bit different on everyone. On me, it's an understated brick red. I'm very pale with dark lips, and it doesn't overwhelm my complexion or look too bold. This lip pencil can be kind of dry, so I wear a balm underneath it or a gloss on top of it. It is the kind of pencil that you sharpen rather than the ones that twist up, which is a bit sad. I hate that I'm wasting so much product when I sharpen it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2013 9:06:00 PM More reviews by Peaches1027

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm very pleased with this pencil. I do not care for the NARS gloss pencil, so I was a little nervous about buying this. My fears were unfounded. This is a neutral rosy red matte color that is very flattering for someone my age. It adds just enough color without making me look like I'm try too hard, which is the look I prefer. I apply this in the my car before I pull out of the driveway, and when I get to my work parking lot I apply one more coat. This lasts all day, even through eating and drinking. It wears off evenly, without settling into my lip lines, and it leaves a nice stain. This is a homerun from NARS, and I will not only repurchase this, I will check out other colors as well. This is very expensive in my opinion, $25.00 USD, but well worth it.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/22/2013 6:24:00 PM More reviews by sabrinarose1990

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

At first I loved the concept of this, a lipliner and lipstick in one! I loved the colour of this, a very natural mlbb colour that worked on me (NC10-15) and my sister (NC40). Its like the perfect pinkish peach that really is mlbb. The picture on here really is how it looks on your lips. However, after a while the product would not meld into my lips, just sit there on top of lips, the texture uneven on my lips. Also, this cost me about $55 NZD yet the product you get is very small for the price pay off, hence I think I will try and purchase the lipstick instead to see if it yields better results, because the colour is a gorgeous pinkish peachy mauve that was perfect on my very pigmented pink lips.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2013 3:25:00 AM More reviews by screamstyle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

rosy color!! everyday use!! very nice! even though pricey like other nars stuffs!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2013 2:39:00 PM More reviews by LovesPromos

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I absolutely love this lipstick. It gives the perfect "your lips but better and more sophisticated look." You can just have one layer which would be appropriate for work or 2-3 layers for a night or even day look, depending on your mood ;) it's gives an amazing rosy, brick red color. Not too "out there." I recommend for those who want a hit of color but without the brightness.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2013 7:36:00 PM More reviews by yanchenqi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the best lip cover for me ever. It brighten up my face, but can still be weared to work. I keep reaching it although have a full bag of lip products.

The only downside is packaging. I hope it is a twist up rather than the one I have to sharpen it. But, nevertheless, I will repurchase. The color is just so pretty

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2013 10:34:00 AM More reviews by Ivytje

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is one of the best lip colors, ever! It brightens up my face, staying power is very good and on me it's not drying. I'm a nc20/25 with auburn hair and green eyes.