NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dolce Vita

4.2

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely adore this colour but as a matte lipstick this just doesn't cut it. It's too sheer, it crumbles and doesn't last. A good dupe for this, which actually works as a good matte lipstick, is Erotique from L'Oreal.

Perfect MLBB shade for me (NARS Sante Fe skin, fairly pigmented lips) It's matte and almost opaque unlike the lipstick of the same name (which is basically a barely tinted balm, not worth the price). Wear time is reasonably long, in my experience 5-6 hours before I need to reapply, and it fades nicely, as do the other Velvet Matte pencils I own. Formula is perhaps slightly drying but not a problem for me as I always allow lipbalm to sink in before applying any lipstick.

One lippie off for price (particularly retail price in Aus - $39! I bought this in the US though, as I do with most of my makeup) and the packaging (product wastage with sharpening... and the stupid cap)

Hint: poke a hole with a needle into the cap, it stops it from doing that ridiculous popping-off-in-your-handbag thing.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

It really hurts me but i can't give it more than three lipsticks.

While i love the colour, which is a warm dusty rose with orange undertones, i HATE how sheer it is and how little it lasts.

It is probably the first matte lipstick i own that is not opaque and needs MANY coats to actually show. And once you swipe it multiple times on your lips, it only last like an hour.

It is definitely OVERPRICED for such a poor performance which is why i will never repurchase. Big shame for me because i love the colour but not worth 25 euros.

I got this as a gift. It makes for a nice neutral pink (there's some colour, but it's not too bold either). A good matte lip pencil that stays on for a decent amount of time. Have worn this several times.

Since I feel this product is overpriced, I would not purchase. If you're looking for a matte lip pencil with a neutral pink shade, and don't mind spending around $30, then I would recommend this product.

This matte lip pencil is so good. The color is one shade darker than my natural lip color. It is the perfect "sophisticated nude work lip color". Obviously its a matte so its a tad drying, but it feels comfortable on my lips. Its very pigmented and color last a long time. The pencil is sleek looking (like typical NARS product packaging)

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

Of all the NARS Dolce Vita products, my favorite is the lipstick, followed by the Velvet Matte lip pencil, and lastly, the lip gloss. I found the VM lip pencil to be the warm MLBB with nearly brick tones. Formula is pigmented but dry, and has a bit of a waxy taste/smell as time goes on. Not my favorite Velvet Matte lip pencil or Dolce Vita lip product. I would consider the lipstick to be neutral and the lip gloss to be substantially cooler in tone.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Love it! Matte not drying. Gives my natural lip colour some umph! Great as everyday wear, brings life to the lips for people who prefer the nude look esp with brown/olive skin tones

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

received free samples of both this and 'cruella' in the sephora birthday gift this year. not impressed. the pencils require sharpening, yet the gift package didn't include one, so it seems like a cheap ploy to get people to buy a chubby sharpener in order to use these. that small annoyance aside, the colors themselves aren't all that spectacular. of the two, i prefer the dolce vita -- a muted pink similar to my natural lip color-- but the staying power isn't there, and the consistency's a little too stiff/waxy. i'm not really a fan of mattes in general though. this was my first try with NARS products, and based on this experience i don't see myself venturing further into this brand. i'm a MAC, bobbi brown, occasionally chanel person, so it's hard for others to follow those brands in my opinion. no offense, NARS --thanks, but no thanks.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this lip pencil. It is very natural and gives very nice natural color to my lips. The lip pencil is surprisingly not drying and stays on for long periods. When I compare this Nars lip pencil with Bobbi Brown art sticks, Nars seems more natural in color, but BB has more staying power for me. I use BB Dusty Rose/Pink and Nars Dolce Vita. Dolce Vita is a very natural color and needs more color to give a pigmented look, it also needs sharpening each time and runs out fast. BB is very pigmented and a little goes a long way. BB also has more staying power - while it transfers to other items, the high pigmentation also allows color to remain on the lips. However, I like both and use Dolce Vita more primarily due to the more natural color; BB seems too pigmented sometimes. The main downside of Dolce Vita is that it is very hard to find - due to it's popularity it sells out very fast.

I love this stuff! Tried it on at the make up counter today and loved it straight away. A beautiful colour which even my husband noticed when he saw me that evening. Unfortunately it's only sold at a couple of places in the UK and is sold out everywhere. I plan to keep looking!

Recommended for Medium Skin