April 20, 2014 | 1311 users online

Skincare - Face - AcneFree - All Products

rated 1 of 5 on 4/18/2014 12:48:00 AM More reviews by Allyp456

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product for about three days and found it very unhelpful. The first time I tried the three step overnight routine, when I woke up my skin was very dry, irritated, and covered in itching bumps. I tried it a few times afterwards and found it had the same effect every time. I would not recommend this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/8/2014 5:58:00 PM More reviews by charmaineloves

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the worst product or system I have ever tried in my whole entire life. I have acne prone skin, I've tried expensive treatments and different systems, including the one from Clinique but NOTHING IS WORSE THAN THIS!!! I ordered this from amazon and expected a life changing experience (I'm exaggerating haha) but after one use, on the second day I got breakouts and irritated, itchy skin. I have never had an allergic reaction like this. The new breakouts are painful and they have no heads. I let my skin rest for a month and tried it for the second time. I got the same reaction and my skin was red and inflamed. I mean, you get what you pay for, this is so cheap but it's not worth it. Terrible product!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/28/2014 3:05:00 PM More reviews by Gucciandglitter

I used this for about a year and I used the severe line. They have systems for mild, moderate and severe acne. I bought severe because my acne was pretty bad. First of all, these products are harsh. I've even tried the mild line, and it was still irritating my face. I would say if you have severe acne, go for it, especially if you don't have sensitive skin. But this does dry out your skin and I wouldn't use it unless nothing else is working. The Benzoyl peroxide content in these products are high, so I would recommend using a separate non comedogenic moisturizer that works for your skin. if you have dry skin, please don't use this. And if you have oily skin, I would still try to avoid this unless you really needed it. This made my skin flakey and I would have to go to school looking like a tomato (not fun).

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2014 11:54:00 PM More reviews by AnastasiaBeaverhausenXo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oh man, I bought this stuff a few years ago when I had a few pimples pop up. I had tried Proactiv a long time ago and like the results, but not enough to keep purchasing. Anyways, this is supposedly very similar to the Proactiv products. This stuff broke me out more than I ever have been before. I'm talking "I can't leave the house today"-level acne. Once I stopped using it, my face immediately began clearing up. Be careful with this, it turned my skin into a nightmare.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2013 1:09:00 AM More reviews by makeupjunkie11786

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

when i broke out this system saved my face. from my experience if you follow the regimen as directed you really do start to see a difference within 3 days of using it. The acne and black head terminator spot treatment by them is really good to. I would highly recommend this for anyone struggling with a breakout or if you are acne prone and cannot afford a dermatologist and dont want to spend alot

rated 1 of 5 on 7/11/2013 6:37:00 PM More reviews by iijenii

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

First off, I used to have moderate acne, and i still do get break outs here and there, but rarely. I've started using this product in the middle of 2011 because my mom's friend said her daughter used this and noticed a big change in her skin. I followed her recommendation and started using this product too. After the third day of using this, i was actually satisfied because this product had worked. I continued using it for the next week or so, but i started breaking out more and more. I discontinued using the product and to this day, i will never use this product again even if my acne starts getting worse.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2013 9:44:00 PM More reviews by FusiaFever

In college, I saw my roomate using this system. At the time, I was experiencing horrible break outs and didn't know what to do. I ended up buying the 3 step system from CVS for around $20. Note that this was before they came out with the severe acne line with 4 steps- orange bottles.

At first, this was my HG product. It immediately cleared my acne. It was as if I had changed my skin. After I finished the first set, I continued to repurchase. With each set, I noticed that the products were not as effective on my acne-prone skin. I tried switching it up for a month to appease the situation. Even several years later, I went back to this system in both the severe and regular system to realize it no longer worked on me. In fact, I had to trash the last bottle of cleanser.

Since then, I have migrated onto other brands. Not sure if it is this system or my skin. Hormonal acne tends to fluctuate through the years. And your skin gets used to the chemical composition of the formula.

Overall, I would recommend this product to those that haven't tried step programs before. I don't think this is an HG product. The only HG product is your diet and exercise. Personally, I am not repurchasing.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2013 4:53:00 PM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used this product for about a year without much incident. At the time, I was suffering from moderate to severe hormonal cystic acne. I had tried Proactiv but that was a waste, so I figured I'd give this a shot since it costs less over all and I didn't have to wait for it to ship.
For the first few months, it actually did an okay job. I still had some blemishes, but it wasn't nearly as extreme as it had been. However, once I stopped using it, my acne came back even worse. I'd heard of this happening with Proactiv as well, so I figured this was common among acne treatments. That's how they get ya, I suppose.
About a month after I stopped using it, I went back to it again. And again, it seemed to do its job for the most part for a while, but after a short time, it stopped working. But I was hopeful that it would work again, so I kept using it.
And then one day, it all went swirly. I did my typical routine - cleanse, toner, treatment, moisturizer. And within two hours, my skin turned beet red and began to burn. I don't mean tingle. I mean it felt like I had burned my entire face with about a thousand lit match heads. It was unbelievable. The skin on my face - even around my eyes, where the redness was practically purple - swelled, making it look like I had just gotten into a fistfight and lost.
I immediately stopped using this product and have never experienced that kind of irritation since. I don't know if my body chemistry randomly changed overnight, or maybe my skin finally got pissed off that I kept loading it up with harsh chemicals and decided to light itself on fire or something. Whatever it was, it certainly wasn't pretty or comfortable.
I think the real trick to treating acne is figuring out what is going on INSIDE your body to cause your skin to react. For me, it was hormonal, and having gotten a fairly decent handle on keeping that balanced has granted me much better skin. I still get breakouts, but they aren't nearly as severe, and for about two weeks out of each month, I have mostly clear skin.
Treating your skin with harsh chemicals won't do anything but strip it of its natural oils and cause it to hyperproduce more oil, which leads to MORE acne. Hence why acne returns ten-fold upon ceasing use of products like this. Be gentle to your skin, use gentle cleansers and things like jojoba oil with lavender to moisturize, and fix or balance whatever might be wrong or off-kilter inside your body. Your skin will thank you for it.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2013 3:43:00 PM More reviews by Mommofone

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Wow, where to begin! First of all, this review is for the AcneFree original formula. I started using the sensitive formula but it did nothing for my skin so I switched to the original.

At first, it worked great! My acne isn't terrible but I get those annoying little bumps on my chin and cheeks. This system cleared my ENTIRE face literally within days! I was so relieved to have finally found something that cleared my skin. Like the sensitive formula, I wasn't crazy about the cleanser. It had a slimy texture with a bit of grittiness to it. The toner smelled very strongly of alcohol and the lotion was, ironically, very drying. Everything was going fine until about 2 weeks in. My face became TERRIBLY dry! I didn't experience any redness, just a weird tight feeling and lots and lots of skin peeling, especially on my cheeks. I reduced it to just one application a day, per the product directions. Unfortunately, with just one use a day, my skin began to break out again.

I ended up caving and using some old bottles of toner and lotion that I had from another 3 step system, while still using the AcneFree cleanser. I've finally been able to get the peeling and irritation under control but I'm still trying to control my acne.

All in all, this product is great at treating acne but doesn't really prevent it (if that makes any sense). It's far too harsh to be used as an everyday preventive measure. Sadly, I will not be renewing my AcneFree kit.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2013 5:20:00 AM More reviews by GoddessRevealed

I'm a huge advocate of the Proactiv Original System. The skincare has always left my skin blemish free for as long as I've used it. Given my experience with skincare, benzoyl peroxide in a low dosage is the only product which seems to work for me long-term.
The Proactiv "gentle", salicylic acid based system proved ineffective for my skin. I should note that with the Original system, I have found it necessary to apply a hydrating cream such as Cetaphil moisturizing cream after cleansing and prior to application of toner in order to offset the potentially dehydrating effects of the toner. I'd found that when I had applied the toner to dry skin right after cleansing, my skin would wind up dehydrated. This is the case even if I only use the system once per day in the evening. If I apply the system 2x day I have found that my skin gets especially dehydrated and flaky where makeup application would become a problem.
As the years passed, I started to get interested in trying out skincare with anti-aging benefits. I'd always have the concern in the back of my mind that the products could contribute to breakouts or not keep my skin clear, but I've tried nevertheless.
Derm Exclusive seemed to be neutral. I didn't notice any unusual or timely breakouts from use of the product line, but Kardashian's Perfect Skin cleanser always seemed to cause pimples on my skin anytime I've used it. I'm contributing it to their cleanser, although I suppose it could be the toner as well as this product was used some of the time when the cleanser had been used, but breakouts occurred even when their toner was not used.
I ran out of Proactiv and had run out of the Derm Exclusive cleanser so I had decided to try the Perfect Skin cleanser again, but much to my dismay, instant pimples the follwoing morning!! Ugh. I therefore decided to purchase both University Medical Original Acne-Free System and the Sensitive Skin as an immediate measure since these are available at local pharmacies. I am considering applying the Original in the evening and the Sensitive formula during the AM, but I'm very much concerned about the amount of ALCOHOL that's in the Renewing Toner of the Original System. Alcohol is listed twice and is known to strip the skin of it's natural lipids and pH balance. When you strip the skin you can cause the skin to fall out of balance where it overproduces oil to compensate for stripping it's natural lipids. This can lead to more breakouts once you moisturize in order to offset the dryness and dehydration. Alcohol also dries the skin and emphasizes fine lines. I'm also concerned that stripping the skin with alcohol would not only lead to dehydration, flaking and possible emphasis of fine lines since hydration and propr balance is especially key to mature skin. My skin is not oily by any means, it tends to be combination or sensitive/acne-prone in that the wrong ingredients (mineral oil, lanolin, excess oils, inferior ingredients) will make me break out, cause redness, chapping, dehydration and flaking.
I've noticed that Proactiv uses glycolic acid in it's toner. Their toner was excellent for my skin. It would make it appear more clear, bright and even-toned. Some even consider glycolic acid an anti-aging ingredient, because it brightens dull skin and aids in gentle exfoliation while keeping the pores free of debris. The choice of alcohol as a replacement for the glycolic acid would explain the price differential as alcohol is a cheap ingredient, but it's also an inferior ingredient. I'm going into these details hoping that one of the representatives of University Medical will read this review and consider forwarding the comment to their Research & Development (R&D) Dept. and consider an alcohol-free reformulation of the toner in the Original 3 pc. System
If you are experiencing dehydration, dryness, tightness, or flakiness of the skin, please consider sending University Medical Customer Service an email via their website explaining your side effects and expressing a desire in an alcohol-free based toner which has an well-received and regarded acid as an ingredient to replace it. Acids such as salicylic, glycolic, AHA, fruit acids, etc.. have all been shown to help to clear pores, increase cell turnover and exfoliation, and have anti-aging benefits. Alcohol is a cheap ingredient known to strip and dehyudrate the skin.
I will keep you posted on whether the University Medical products are effective as they've just been purchased. I will provide benefit of the doubt for now and provide a 3-4 star rating pending followup. I will keep you posted on whether the University Medical products are effective as they've just been purchased. I will provide benefit of the doubt for now and provide a 3-4 star rating pending followup.
I'd appreciate any feedback you may have regarding using the kits on adult skin that doesn't have bad breakouts, because the skin is managed in a way to keep it clear. The morning following application of Perfect Skin cleanser, my skin had tiny pimples on the cheeks and a hive type of blemish on my chin. Use of Proactiv original system (low dosages of benzoyl peroxide) seems to keep my skin clear. I'm hoping that University Medical will do the same, but I'll have to consider how to properly offset the alcohol in the Renewing Toner. I'm awaiting a reply from the UM CS dept. as I'd emailed them via their website.