December 17, 2014 | 1740 users online

Conditioner - The Egg Bomb

• Price: $

Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey. In a separate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. (double recipe for longer hair) Leave in for 30min, shampoo and condition as usual

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2014 7:55:00 PM More reviews by eyre

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The egg bomb works really well with my thick, straight hair; it keeps split ends at bay. Used the recipe exactly as listed above (1 egg yolk, 2tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp honey). You might want to warm the honey (and/or oil) just a little to make it mix more easily. I saw another reviewer complain that it made her hair dry and stiff--but she used the whole egg! Egg whites are commonly used to dry up acne on your face--not something you want to use for moisturizing, so use the yolk only and you'll be fine.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/19/2014 1:16:00 PM More reviews by tito_barf

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Alas, did nothing for my frizzy, wavy, henna-dyed hair. Clarified my hair, split it into two sections, let dry. Applied recipe as described above (egg yolk, olive oil, honey), left in for an hour.
Rinsed well, then shampooed my entire head and conditioned as usual. Let air dry.
Appearance: same both sides.
Feel/texture: same both sides.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/17/2014 1:02:00 PM More reviews by applemoon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I put 2 eggs in my hair it's color treated with a few face framing highlights but it's in great shape. When I go to the salon I always buy what my stylist suggest because who better than him so I buy high end shampoo and conditioner. I'm always reading the DIY for hair care and what would make hair soft smooth or just shiny. The egg was horrible I put 2 eggs on dry unwashed hair and it took me 5 washes and finally my hair felt normal. My hair is naturally soft and very shiny so I don't know why I continue to do these DIY that I read are wonderful. What works for one may not work for another and I'm proof. My hair looks best when I apply little product if not any basically I wash every 2-or more days and air dry. Here I go rambling sorry ladies I just wanted to say it didn't work for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2014 7:22:00 AM More reviews by karenapril

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Black

I have really dry, brittle and crappy hair. I mean really crappy. So I stumbled upon some article on egg bomb protein mask, try it one afternoon when I'm sure the boyfriend won't be home. So, I use 1 eggs, 2 table spoon of coconut oil and 1 table spoon of honey on dry unwashed hair. Apply it really well by section, and cover with a shower cap and a towel on my shoulder because i knew its going to dripped like nobody's business. I didn't wait for the eggs to dry totally, just waited out for roughly 15-20 minutes because I don't want the shower cap to stuck to my hair while i remove it. Afterwards I rinse with COLD water and shampoo it out with my normal shampoo. Did not apply any conditioner but a light spritz of coconut oil+distilled water at my ends.
Resuts: Hair look thicker and honestly shinier.
Cons: Messy, hair can feel a bit straw like when air drying.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2014 3:24:00 AM More reviews by kate147

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This was the worst mistake I have ever made!
My hair has been bleached three times in the past two weeks and it is dry, split, breaking, etc etc. So when I saw a recipe for an egg hair mask in a youtube video, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it!
Boy, was I wrong!!!
The recipe I used was as follows:
-2 whole eggs
-1/4 cup olive oil
I whisked the ingredients together and applied the mixture all over my hair. I was noticing as I was applying it that it was making my hair a bit stiff, but I figured that it was probably just because I wasn't saturating it enough. So I was careful to saturate my hair completely with the stuff (I used all of it). I let it sit for 20-30 minutes and my hair started to feel ridiculously stiff and straw-like so I decided it was time to wash it out.
I tried to just rinse it with water, but it wouldn't come out. My hair was still really stiff, and I was afraid it was going to break off! So I shampooed it, and there was no difference. I shampooed it again; still no difference. I had to shampoo it five times before it started to feel anything like hair again, and then had to condition it twice, shampoo it again, and condition it one more time before I was satisfied.
My hair most certainly is not silky soft and fabulous like I imagined it to be! I have put olive oil alone in my hair before with great results, but I would not recommend eggs (or at least this particular recipe) to anyone for their hair.
Hope this is helpful!
xx

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2014 4:28:00 AM More reviews by Lozzie100

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As I regularly fork out loads for salon treatments in an attempt to salvage my bleached, double processed, flat iron battered hair I was excited to try this out. Having said that I was quite sceptical as I haven't really got much experience in DIY beauty. The mixture I used is as follows:
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

I shampooed and thoroughly towel dried my hair first (didn't use conditioner). Slathered the mixture on, didn't find the smell too offensive and it coated my hair nicely. I wrapped it in cling film and put a shower cap over it. The heat from my head made it drip like crazy, I was forever wiping my neck and face! I think next time I will apply on dry hair to see if that helps with this. I let it sit for 1 hour and then shampooed and conditioned as normal with lukewarm water.

I was initially a bit concerned as it did feel quite straw like as I was rinsing it out. However, once it was shampooed and blow dried....I was AMAZED at the results!! My hair had a gorgeous shine to it (no small feat for bleached hair) and was so soft and lovely to the touch. It was much easier to blow dry and the straighteners just glided through it. There was virtually no frizz.

I have to say this is as good, if not better than the expensive salon treatments I buy. I am so impressed, I will definitely be doing this treatment once a week!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2014 11:49:00 PM More reviews by dakeeks

WOW

I got a perm about 3 weeks ago and my hair was like straw. It was breaking, felt stiff and dry and brittle and the waves looked kinky (not like natural waves). I get a perm every 5-6 months but this one was more drying on my hair than most for some reason - maybe due to the crazy winter and the radiator/heaters in my apartment and office. In any case, I came across this mask online and tried it. I used

- 2 organic egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil

I waited til the egg yolks were about room temperature since the coconut oil would have solidified if the egg yolks were cold. I whisked it all together and rubbed it in with my fingers all over my hair. I didn't use a hair cap. I didn't need one. There were no drips. The mask felt like it was caked onto my head and felt solid almost on my hair immediately. I left the mask on for an hour and then rinsed under warm water (nothing happened) and shampooed and conditioned as usual. After drying, my hair was

SUPER SHINY, SILKY AND THE CURLS WERE BEAUTIFUL CASCADING WAVES INSTEAD OF KINKY CURLS!

WOW WOW WOW

I will do this at least once a week!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2014 10:18:00 AM More reviews by tricyclesinskirts

There's a lot of hullabaloo that goes round about the egg bomb pre-shampoo mask, so here's how to use it properly (thank you to the original reviewer for the directions...i do know that on mobile that "most helpful" does not show up, however--so here's the quick rundown):

Mix:
3-4 tbsp EVOO
1-2 tsp honey

in a separate bowl:
1-2 egg yolks, beaten

(Adjust the measurements accordingly. I have bra-strap length, coarse, wurly hair. You may need more or less of a certain ing based on your hair...don't stress too much about it. The important part is following the instructions below.)

Add bowls together, stir until fully mixed.

Section DRY hair (as if blow drying) into at least 4 sections (due to stickiness of mixture. again, use your own judgement here.)
Add mixture to DRY, UNWASHED HAIR. Most importantly:
DRY HAIR. I recommend that you get into shower or bath for this step. The sort of "paint brush" a hair dresser uses for applying color is helpful here, but fingers are fine too! Honestly, i have used a fork before, little mermaid style...i have no shame. just slather that ish on however you can.
Put on shower cap if desired. DO NOT USE HEAT. IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO RINSE OUT.
Let mix sit for at least 30 min.
Rinse using COLD WATER.
COLD WATER. (if you have a detachable shower head...that will be awesome for this. and if not, i hope you have a friend who does, cos you will be very cold.)
NOT HOT WATER. This is important!
Shampoo and condition as per usual. or use the best ones you have...either way, you're finished with the egg bomb!

Admire your lovely locks.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2013 8:35:00 AM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

A nice concoction of some of nature's perfect products!
Egg, honey and olive oil are wonderful for hair and skincare. Using organic eggs is important as they have more benefits.

For hair, I mix egg yolks (no whites) and raw honey and whip it up. I also add some apricot kernel, olive or coconut oil to this mix and apply it to the hair and scalp. It is a very sticky mix and can be exasperating to work with, but patience is the key. For maximum benefits, leave the mix on the hair for 60 minutes or longer. I know of some people who leave this mask overnight too, but I am hesitant to try that!

Wash off with cold water, as cold as one can tolerate. Using warm water may cook the egg - especially if some egg white has crept in and cause bits and pieces of egg to cling to the hair (yuck!). Rinse or wash off with a rosemary-lavender diffusion or shikakai. The hair is left clean, soft and very shiny. It also adds tons of volume to the hair. As is, I have voluminous hair and don't need the extra volume.

Honey is essential to give moisture to the hair. An egg-only mask will be somewhat drying to the hair. Note that egg whites can also be applied to the hair and they are probably as beneficial, but they smell and scramble too! Egg yolk is high in fat and therefore does not scramble as easily as the whites. One more thing to note is to remove the thick, lumpy, white thread that connects the yolk and egg white, inside the egg (chalaza?). That is super-smelly and it cooks in even lukewarm water and sticks to the hair.

For skin, use the egg-white and apply on the forehead and nose areas. It tightens the skin and cleanses out any blackheads.

The humble egg is a perfect nature food for health and beauty!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2013 10:08:00 AM More reviews by katiesiepierski

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

For any of you that did not like this because it made your hair feel dry/like straw or break off, it is simply because you did not beed so much protein in your hair, if any at all. Putting too nuch protein in the hair can make it dry, brittle and can even make it snap right off.

Typically, the only need for an intense protein treatment like this (or any other treatment that calls for pure raw eggs) is if you have bleached your hair or use permanent dyes, especially ones that call for higher volume developers like 30 or 40(eek!). When you mix the bleaching agent (typically a powder) with peroxide (the developer) it creates a chemical iron and copper reaction within the strand and breaks the protein that is in the hair. Coconut oil is extremely beneficial to use prior to bleaching (or using a permanent dye) as it acts as a chelating agent to stop the protein damage caused by the iron + copper chemical reaction, as well as helps replace the protein in the process. Putting it on after is great too. The bleach eats through it so it doesnt effect the lightening process whatsoever.

Anyway, not everyone needs a protein treatment. Even if you do need it, it can still make the hair feel a bit straw like at first, but thats perfectly normal and okay. Just use a hydrating/moisturizing conditioner or treatment aftetwards and that stiffness feeling will be gone.

If you put too much protein in the hair though, use a clarifying shampoo then a hydrating/moisturizing treatment after. Avoid anything else with egg on the hair, like mayonnaise, or any keratin products,or anything that says "reconstructing".

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No