December 18, 2014 | 1826 users online

Cleansers - Authentic African Black Soap-Product of West Africa

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2014 10:33:00 PM More reviews by SophiaSopapilla

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

So far, I'm really loving this stuff. I bought the authentic soap from ghana in 1 pound. I break off small parts and use those rather than the whole bar. At first my skin kind of tingled, nothing too terrible. I had read about a dreaded purging period and yikes-it was down right ugly for about a week. The first monstrosity of a break out I had happened about 3-4 days after I started using it and it was not pretty. It was down right god-awful. But I persevered, kept on using it, and I am so glad I did.
My skin is softer, the tone more even. The oil production is SO MUCH BETTER. When I say my skin is oily, I mean my face is an oil slick by noon usually. With this soap the pores on my nose are smaller, the oil production across my nose/cheeks/forehead isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.
I have been using this for about a month total. My skin feels clean, but not tight/stripped after I wash. I follow washing with grape seed oil & vitamin E. Store this in a slotted soap dish if you can, the soap gets softer and gooey the longer it is wet. I don't think that affects the function of it, but that is also why it is a good idea to break off the smaller parts of the bar if that is the kind you are using.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2014 12:12:00 PM More reviews by esornart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The other day I met up with my friend and her skin looked flawless and I was curious as to what makeup she was using. She told me she wasn't wearing any foundation just concealers on certain spots. She told me about this African Black Fog Soap and how well it worked for her and I was intrigued and decided to buy one for myself to give it a try.

My friend told me she bought the black soap bar from enchantedwaters on ebay and I purchased mines there (it's the black bar not the raw afraican soap).

When I received it, I gave it a try and I was advised by my friend to use it once daily and use a very good non fragrance moisturizer with it. I took her advice and used it as my nightly routine. I would use a cotton pad to removed my makeup with bioderma micelle water and then use this soap bar. I then put coconut oil or argan oil on top as my moisturizer (my friend has oily skin and she says coconut oil doesn't make her greasy or oily).

The next morning, I looked at my skin and the two pimples that was near my chin area diminished and my skin looked balanced, not oily or dry...as well, my skin looked healthy and soft like baby skin. Normally my skin gets red and irritated (i've very sensitive skin) but this soap bar diminished my redness that I have. I feel like i don't need to put a full coverage foundation anymore and can finally use a light coverage foundation or even leave the house without makeup and just a bit of concealer! I have tried high end to drugstore skincare and it's all a gimmick. I am impressed! I also did more research and saw Dr.Oz featured African Black Soap on his show.

The information can be found here at http://multiculturalbeauty.about.com/od/Skincare/fl/8-Top-Skin-Care-Benefits-of-African-Black-Soap.htm.

This is what it says on the website:

1. Protects Against Photo Aging

Antioxidants in black soap protect the skin from free radical damage, which is a cause of premature skin aging, wrinkles and facial lines.

2. Improves Skin Tone

Black soap firms and tones skin and improves skin texture, for more supple and glowing skin.

3. Fades Skin Discolorations

Black soap helps even out and fade brown spots and discolorations.

4. Reduces Inflammation and Skin Irritations

Black soap helps reduce inflammation and skin irritations. It is soothing on dry and irritated skin, relieving dry patches, rashes and red areas.

5. Helps to Heal Problem Skin

It eases the symptoms of skin conditions like acne. Users have said that black soap helps lessen, treat and clear acne, gets rid of blackheads, psoriasis and eczema.

6. Has Deep Cleansing Action

Black soap has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties and is great for deep pore cleansing. It also is effective at removing makeup because of the oils and butters.

7. It Alleviates Razor Bumps

It is often used by men during shaving because of the high shea butter content, which protects the skin.

8. It's an Effective Exfoliant

The ashes in black soap provide exfoliating properties to remove dead skin cells and thereby improve fine lines, soften and rejuvenate rough skin.

How to Buy African Black Soap

More about the common ingredients in black soap:

Plantain skins and leaves have a high concentration of iron and vitamins A and E. Vitamin E helps with tissue structure, is healing and helps moisturize the skin improving texture and tone. Vitamin A benefits collagen production. Allantoin in the leaves of plantain stimulates the growth of new skin cells.

Cocoa powder softens and firms the skin and has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties to fight against free radicals, repair damaged skin and renew skin cells.

Cocoa butter is a natural fat extracted from the cacao bean. It’s been used for years as a moisturizer. It has vitamins A and E to fight against environmental damage and therefore the signs of aging. It helps the skin retain moisture and improves elasticity. Cocoa butter is also said to improve the appearance of stretch marks. It has also been used to ease skin conditions like rashes, eczema and psoriasis.

Shea butter (karite butter) made from the nuts of the karite tree, also has vitamins A and E to strengthen skin and repairs damage. It has been used to heal burns, sores and scars, and to treat psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis. It helps promote cell renewal and diminish appearance of wrinkles. It is also a good for treatment of acne scars because it is non-comedogenic and has anti-microbial properties.

Shea Butter: What It Is, Why It Works

Palm oil is rich in antioxidants and two forms of vitamin E tocopherol and tocotrienol, which is useful in the treatment of acne and eczema and reduces cell damaged caused by environmental toxins and free radicals.

Palm kernel oil is extracted from the fruit seeds of the African palm tree. It is high in lauric acid giving it anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.

Coconut oil The fatty acids in coconut oil work to reinforce the skin’s lipid barrier and lock in moisture. Coconut oil is also helpful for repairing skin damage, dry skin and eczema, and to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. It has cleansing and antibacterial properties, which makes it useful for removing grime and makeup, and when combined with other ingredients works as a natural deodorant.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2013 5:28:00 PM More reviews by GenniferLynne

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

http://www.agbangakarite.com is where I buy mine. It is by far the best soap I have ever used on my body. Totally economical and practical. I'm all about it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2013 10:56:00 PM More reviews by illaillanow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is the bomb diggity! Normalized my crazy oily skin within a month of use, minimized break outs, took off ALLLLL my make up. My skin was going BANANAS after about 6 months of using Purity Made Simple (skin loved it in the beginning.. can't say it did anymore after purchasing a second bottle) and after trying literally everything (cerave, ceraphil, you name it), turned to this after a friends recommendation. $2 at my local BSO in Toronto. I was skeptical. Like what the heck am I really putting on my face? But I figured what can I really lose, I'd tried so much that I was willing to do whatever to get my velvet skin back. First time using, my eyes BURNED. fast forward a month, skin is A1. ALMOST back to my original texture, I am ecstatic and want to buy stock in this haha. This with the aid of which hazel and Fresh seaberry oil have done wonders for repairing my skin. When I need an exfoliant, I just sud this up in my palm and add a little bit of brown sugar. Awesome. Absolutely grateful that I came across this.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2012 1:17:00 PM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

I tried this before from a different BBS seller where i live a few years ago and it made my naturally skin extremely dry, burnt and basically was so strong for my skin I had to get rid of it. 2 years laster I tried again. I started getting a break out from something 3 days ago and ventured into a Muslim store to see if they had anytihng natural ot use and spotted it again. This time instea dof being wrapped in cellophane it was wrapped in newspaper so I bought the smallest block for $2.50 and washed ym face with it for 2 days. My clean felt clean, no burning, no overpowering burnth smell like the last batch and miraculously after 2 days washing with it and using pure shea butter to grease with all my facial blemishes are fading amazingly quickly........... I found that even without using the shea butter my face doesn;t need a moisturizer at all and as I said I have the dryest skin. I've also been showering with it and it's beter than any soap I've tried. My skin feels smooth and soft afterwards. The piece I bought is soft and has dark and lighter brown mixed of what definitely looks like banana. The first day before i sued it it was soft and crumbly kind of like dry dough. After showering with it for 2 days and leaving the lid off it seems ot have got softer. It's excellent for me anyway.One persons review seems ot show that what I bought was black soap from Ghana.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2012 8:05:00 AM More reviews by nikkimorrissey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm really iffy about this soap. I've used it several times on my face and I haven't felt that great about it. My skin is super oily and when I use this soap, it becomes very parched and tight feeling. I just cut a small chunk off and put it in my shower, away from the water. It seems to work up a nice lather but I don't like how it makes my face feel. Maybe it would be better if used on the body.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2012 8:21:00 AM More reviews by hanmu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

To say that this didn't work for me would be a huge understatement. I bought two types (one with the normal shea butter and palm oil, and one with added papaya) and both severely dried out my skin, causing cystic acne. I'm currently using it in place of shaving gel for my legs and haven't encountered any problems, but I wouldn't repurchase for that use. I may try using this again in the summer when my skin is oilier.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2012 5:45:00 PM More reviews by katesloan

I bought some African black soap from a seller on Etsy (AstridaNaturals). I intended to use it as a facial soap, but I found it was far too drying for my skin.

I also tried out using it as shampoo, but it doesn't seem to get my hair very clean at all, even when I use a lot of it.

Now I'm just using it as hand and body soap. It smells lovely, it's just too drying for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2011 4:34:00 PM More reviews by lpetty22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After doing a little research online for something to help cure my blotchy, bumpy skin, I came across african black soap. I was excited to find it in the local beauty supply store, but since there was no price tag on it, I assumed that it must be expensive since it was imported. I nervously took a bar to the checkout counter and it rang up $2.34! I was shocked! As soon as I got it home I was excited to try it so I 'googled' how to use black soap. I cut off a corner,which was more than enough, an anxiously jumped into the shower. I lathered the soap in my hands and began washing my body. It has a very rich, creamy lather that you cannot get from ANY regular bar soap, and I absolutely love the natural earthy scent. I washed my face with it as well and it easily rinsed away, leaving my skin feeling squeaky clean. After I dried off, my skin felt baby soft. It works great as shampoo too! It's been only 3 days of using the black soap day and night....with african shea butter as a moisturizer....and my stretch marks are disappearing along with the facial bumps and dark spots! I also find that I don't have to use deodorant when I use this soap. I love it and will never use another soap again!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/19/2011 3:46:00 PM More reviews by predhead33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was really excited to try out my black soap, having read some good reviews about it. I couldn't believe how cheap it was and how it was supposedly some miracle product! I should have known that if it sounded too good to be true, it probably was. At first I thought it was really going to work well. It made my skin feel very soft even before applying moisturizer, and it lathered very nicely. However, after about a week my face looked and felt like an oil slick, which is very out of character for me, I only have a few slightly oily spots on my face. The oil was quickly followed by several stubborn pimples that took me another week and a half to get rid of. It might work well for some people, and they should consider themselves lucky, but it is not the product for me! I guess my skin needs something with a little more oomph in it!