Mario Badescu Drying Cream

3.5

Ingredients: Deionized Water, Zinc Oxide,Aloe, Beeswax,Cetyl Alcohol,Lemon Extract, Colloidal Sulfur,Ervol,Octyl Palmitate,Ichthammol,Polysorbate 80, Titanium Dioxide,Polyglycerylmethacrylate (and) Propylene Glycol 5/20/09

on 5/6/2015 12:14:00 PM

I can't believe I have never reviewed this. I have actually read all 200+ reviews for this product as I recently pulled a several years old tub out of my stash to use in desperation from a recent break out and couldn't remember why I stopped using it. I'm going to address what I feel are the main complaints about it and my opinions.

Smell: it smells like sulfur which if you have never used it, can smell like rotten eggs or a book of matches. If you are used to sulfur, it shouldn't be a huge deal. I personally have a sensitive nose, my friends call me the hound, I can tell you what you ate for breakfast. I also suffer from headaches caused by scents. That being said, the smell doesn't bother me, and no one has ever complained about it to me, but it does last a while. Some people smell the ichthammol in this, which smells like car tires or something similar. That is the runny brown stuff that may separate and sit at the top which a few people have had issues with. (Mario says just stir it up). I've never seen it separating though personally.

The container: it's in a tub. Most people don't enjoy this aspect. I imagine it was chosen because the consistency of the product is so thick that it would be impossible to get all of it out of a tube. This definitely would not work with a pump. Tubs can be unsanitary, if you are not a good hand washer, or if you have long nails or fake nails, then you should use a toothpick, qtip or spatula to remove the product.

Consistency: dry. Super dry. I've had many samples of this (I picked one free sample up every time I bought the drying lotion which is hg for me) and eventually I bought an actual full size of it which has lasted me years. But even new, they were all extremely thick and dry. I don't have anything to compare them with except maybe clay. It's very hard to spread. But the product is called drying cream, so I'm not going to complain that it's dry. Some people have said this product is creamy, so ymmv but I've never seen it creamy. I've never had a problem with it wiping off while I'm sleeping. Eventually it gets drier and drier in the tub but it still works. If it's solidified, you can try to add a little water to bring it back to life (in your hand not in the jar because, germs). I've had my full size jar for years without it becoming solid but the samples seem to dry up after a few months, especially if you leave them open by accident like I did a few times lol.

Causes a rash?: not for me. some people maybe be sensitive to any one of the ingredients. A lot of people have sulfur allergies. Lemon can be very irritating and it usually is for me but not in this product. The other ingredients may cause a problem for you. Here are the ingredients:
Deionized Water (Aqua), Zinc Oxide, Aloe (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice) Gel, Cetyl Alcohol, Lemon (Citrus Medica Limonum) Extract, Colloidal Sulfur, Ervol, Octyl Palmitate, Ichthammol, Polysorbate 80, Titanium Dioxide, Polyglycerylmethacrylate (and) Propylene Glycol.

Does it clog pores? Does it cause more acne?: I don't know. I can only tell you everyone's skin is different. I have oily skin and large pores all over my face. This product has never made anything worse for me. It has never clogged my pores or caused more acne.

Concealer really?: this can only be used as a concealer if you are extremely pale, which I can get away with if I don't have a tan. I am fair to light skinned. Medium in the summer.

Does it work: yes, for me it works. It works best on those bumps I tend to get on my forehead or temples which are usually from hair products or face wash or something that is clogging my pores or irritating me. Those bumps respond to nothing except time, or this. It also works for me when a product or food causes me to get what I call a whitehead rash. This is when you get a lot of teeny whiteheads that are in clusters usually between my eyebrows, and in the area where people get smile lines (don't know what the area is called). These whiteheads can sometimes be itchy, they are very easy to pop but they come back what seems like immediately and more pop up each day until my skins irritation/allergy reaction naturally stops which for me is about a week or more. I feel like popping them just makes them spread so if they are tiny enough I leave them alone. I get these usually from chemical sunscreens, products with irritating essential oils (ironically just like this product has haha), or when I eat food I'm allergic to.

How I use it: overnight as a spot treatment, it works best if you rub/work it in well, it needs to really have contact with the pimple from all angles. I have used it over larger areas with a thinner layer sometimes if I have a bunch of tiny pimples or bumps. This usually shows improvement overnight but may take a few nights. This product is best used consistently. I have personally seen it dissolve small whiteheads (pus filled pimples) completely with one or two applications, which is amazing to me. It can be drying, if you keep applying in the same spot day after day.

Would I buy again or recommend?: I have and will continue to do so.

on 1/12/2015 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is a great product to address whiteheads. This cream works in a matter of days to resolve my whiteheads. It is sulfur base, so there is a faint smell..but not horrendous. I apply after my moisturizer. It is tinted, on my fair skin it has a mild concealer effect. Then I top it off with primer and makeup and I'm good to go.

Pro:
works well on clearing whiteheads
not too pricey, jar will last a long time
concealer for fair gals
NO salicyclic acid or benzoyl peroxide so safe to use to treat acne in pregnancy.

Cons
sulfur odor
jar is not the most hygienic packaging, tube would be better.

on 1/11/2015 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This does smell quite horrible with the sulfur but it does really help with my nodular acne. I used it one night and woke up with less of a bump in multiple spots. It does cause redness. This was used in conjunction with MB's buffering lotion. I will probably repurchase, just because I don't like having cystic acne and this lessens it on my skin.

on 1/2/2015 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Beware of this product. It clogged my pores and I had to go through a long process to undo it's effects. I used this for about 3 months before I realized it was causing me to have more acne. I bought this as a recommendation that the company gave me after I filled out a survey about my skin on their website. It does help control oil, so I put it on the areas of my skin that were oily. However, in the process of controlling oil, it also clogged my pores and gave me cystic acne. At first, I kept using it with high hopes. When my skin kept getting worse, I stopped using it and only used it around my nose and mouth area, where I was the most oily. At this time, I was getting very bad acne on my cheeks, where I had previously applied the product. I didn't make the connection that this had caused my acne. I went through a long process to unclog my pores on my cheeks, but I was still getting acne around my nose and mouth area. I finally stopped using it completely. Finally, after my skin purged, I no longer got pimples. I believe it was this product that was clogging my pores. Yes, it absorbed oil, but I would rather be oily than to have painful, cystic, under the skin acne.

on 12/12/2014 1:27:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I was really hoping this would be my miracle cure so I tried it countless times on small little pimples and on big cystic ones, with varying amounts and over/under different moisturizers. Since it also has a strong surface smell, I find the recommendation from Mario Badescu to use it as a concealer under makeup to be somewhat unreasonable as I wouldn't want anyone to think I stink and only used this at night.

Unfortunately, it never did anything to improve the condition of my dehydrated-normal acne-prone skin and would actually make it worse, making my skin redder where it was applied. This made my blemishes more prominent, the exact opposite of what it was supposed to do.

This product didn't work for me at all, but as with all skincare products your mileage may vary, especially if you have a good track record with sulfur.

on 11/5/2014 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I think this product is a bit of a joke because I started using this supposedly as it's meant to banish spots by drying them out and reduce the acne breakouts, especially my pimples which can get quite bad at times. A couple of days into using it I just felt it wasn't really doing much at all, my skin as a result felt dryer, except by spots were just getting slightly more flat but in actual fact the spots were pretty much still there and still looked bad! Over time the acne never really appeared to be clearing, just more flatter but visible. It wasn't getting to my route of my acne, instead I decided to give it up because the more times I used it the results looked very minor. I'm starting to think these types of things don't worked on the skin. When I found something called biocurrex, I actually don't have to apply anything to my face, it just seems to work on the inside when I take this powder in a drink, and that seems to do the trick more than products like these ever seem to do! I've definitely noticed more changes which for someone like me with acne skin, it really boosts my confidence!

on 11/5/2014 11:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with this stuff, all in all I think it will always be something that I have on my bathroom shelf.

I bought it for my under the skin tiny skin-colored bumps on my forehead. At first I smeared this stuff all over and for a week or so I felt like almost crying with happiness, for once something seemed to be working on these closed comedones! Sadly this was pretty short-lived as the 'drying' aspect of tho cream caught up with me. My forehead was dry and scaly, I realised every single one of the bumps were still there, they were just flatter and slightly less visible.

I stopped using the cream and started moisturizing as much as possible to get it back to normal.

Once it was ok again I used the drying cream a lot more sparingly but it kinda lost its touch and stopped working.

Having said the I do like this for if I have a painful red breakout turning up around that time of month as I feel like it does help reduce the redness and the size. I also like it for the times when you can't help but to squeeze a pimple and you want a treatment to put on it after. I pop a bit of the cream on it with a q tip and then dab it in and go to sleep.

It's not an overnight miracle but I do believe it helps.

on 10/23/2014 1:50:00 AM

I love this product because: A. It dries up pimples and B. It's a great spot concealer for when you don't want to wear makeup because it's tinted. I would def buy again!

on 8/21/2014 8:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I ran out of my old sulfur acne treatment and wanted something I could use as a spot treatment during the daytime and nighttime, so I got this at Ulta (USD$14 for .05oz). It comes in a little plastic pot. It doesn't seem like a lot of product, but considering I only dab a very little amount on blemishes, I'm thinking that most of this cream will go bad before I get a chance to use it all. If you wanna be cost-effective, split a pot with a friend.

This stuff is supposed to be used on small pimples that have not yet come to a head (whereas the Drying Lotion is meant for whiteheads and the Buffering Lotion is meant for cystic breakouts). This does a pretty good job of bringing small/standard-sized pimples to a head rather quickly. It would usually take my zits a few days to finally come to a head, but this works in a day or two (sometimes even within a few hours or overnight).

It's a vaguely flesh-colored thick cream. MB claims it can double as a concealer, but it's way too grayish/pale for my NC20-25 skin. If you have very fair skin, you may be able to pull it off. However, since it is so pale, I can actually get away with wearing a little bit of it underneath my real makeup. A lot of people complain about the smell, but I'm one of the weird ones that actually isn't bothered by it (dare I say I actually kind of like it?). It's not quite the rotten egg sulfur smell... I guess the aloe covers that up. This also contains lemon extract, which might explain why a lot of people notice spots getting noticeably lighter. I don't notice any drastic improvements in my zit redness, personally.

This is my last step in my evening (and sometimes morning) skin care routine. I dab a small amount on the offending spot (be sure to blend it well -- it doesn't absorb as easily since it's quite thick) and then add another dot of it over the zit (only at night). It's no miracle worker by any means, but it's pretty good at bringing the crap to the surface in a short amount of time. Doesn't do anything for my blackheads though.

If you don't like BP or SA, this treatment could be worth a try. I'd repurchase.

on 7/10/2014 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I received this in a sample at Ulta and I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it works! Normally, I use Retin-A a couple nights a week for my acne-prone skin but I found the drying cream to be more effective at drying out pimples. Last Sunday, I developed a very painful cystic bump that would normally take at least two weeks to form a head and heal and I decided to test out the drying cream on the bump. Today is Thursday and it has gotten significantly better. Now it's just a small bump which I can easily cover with makeup and most importantly, the pain is all gone! I've been applying it twice a day, morning and night. A big bonus is that I can wear it under my makeup (right after I moisturize). I'm seriously convinced this stuff is amazing. It will definitely speed up the healing time of large pimples and diminish the pain within days! Will definitely purchase the full sized version in the near future.

Popular Treatments (Face)