August 29, 2014 | 1254 users online

Eye Shadow - E.L.F. - Duo Eyeshadow Cream- Olive

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 3/25/2013 11:43:00 PM More reviews by kmciolli

I really wanted to like this product, but sadly it was very disappointing like many other cream shadows I have tried.

I bought this product in two colors, Olive and Sugar Cookies. Olive is a duo of a shimmery metallic brown and an olive green. Sugar Cookies is a duo of a shimmery gold and a shimmery frosty pink. Both colors look very pretty in the package but as soon as I applied them, even over primer, it felt greasy and like it would melt away - kind of felt like applying lipgloss to my eyelids (not a good feeling). Even with primer these shadows did not last. They literally just disappeared, not even creased, they just never really stayed on.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2013 10:54:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

I'm a cream e/s junkie and this was one of my first purchases from ELF. I'm a huge ELF fan in general, but this product totally missed the mark. If you swatch this on your hand, you'll get great pigmentation and consistency; however, don't be fooled! I applied this to my eyes, dug around in my e/s drawer deciding what to put over it, and when I looked back in the mirror it was GONE. Totally disappeared within a matter of minutes. And it was applied over a primer.

Went into the trash the same day.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/22/2012 10:49:00 AM More reviews by kittythepoohbear

I found this in my local Dollar Tree and loved the colors. I wear a lot of green and browns and found these colors to be rather unique. However, I was disappointed by the texture and staying power. I tried the green shadow over a base of powder foundation and concealer. It was very, very sheer and had a greasy texture. I found it difficult to build color since it never dries and additional coats tend to cause smearing. I was planning on using the brown color in the crease but abandoned that idea when I saw how greasy the product was. Instead I layered a green powder shadow over the cream hoping that would set it. It looked good for a couple of hours, but by lunchtime the entire look had shifted and creased, resulting in a strip of green by my lashes, bare lids, and a strip of green in my crease. When I got home and touched my eyes, it was still a wet, oily mess. At least it came off easily!

I really want to like this product and, after reading comments here, will give it another shot over UD primer and dusted with setting powder. I can't complain for $1, but there are much better cream shadows out there.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2012 7:41:00 AM More reviews by emeraldlove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

I love the colors but on my eyelids they just look so shiny and sheer it's like putting lip gloss (as what another reviewer has pointed out). I thought it would sort of look dry after a few minutes but it didn't. I have tried using this as a base for other powdered eyeshadow colors and it works ok. Just ok, nothing special for me. Since I use an eyelid primer and this looks oily I don't really want it on my eyelids, I will be rarely using this as a base and never as my eyeshadow. But this is cheap so for the price you pay, it's not really that bad. :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2011 9:18:00 AM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

BEAUTIFUL! its absolutely gorgeous duo! I love OLIVE since it has two great colors! i love it more than some of the other duos i have but honestly im obsessed w/ them all.
=PRICE/AVAILABILITY=
The Elf Duo Eyeshadow Creams are available from the Elf Essential line which makeup cost $1 yes $1 for 2 shadows. Olive can be bought online at eyeslipsface or at various Target stores. Availability will vary depending on your location.
=SHADE/FORMULA/PERFORMANCE=
Elf Cream Duos are two creamy shadows that can be used alone or as a cream base for other shadows to grab onto. I def suggest using a primer first since that will help prevent oils from breaking down the cream shadows & my other suggestion is use very thin layers. You can always build it up b/c taking it away means starting new. I use my fingers or a synthetic brush to apply creams. Its your preference. I like using my ring finger since it helps the cream warm up & blend easier on the eye area. These go on smoothly w/ no tugging. They are creamy not waxy but not so creamy they slid off. They apply nice. I love using the lighter color on inner half of lid & using the darker color to define outer v area of lid- this will help the shadows you put on top pop even more. If you would like to keep the true color of the shadows w/out putting another color shadow on top- top w/ a light dusting of your face powder. or use these as a cream base. i love using like colors or even diff shadows on top for these bring out diff undertones of shadows, helps pigmentation of shadows, it makes them look amazing. i had shadows i couldnt get to show up & u put the cream shadow down first & bam! the shadows show up so much better. The creams will also leave a slightly cream layer for your shadows to grab onto. These are super performers. Olive is a great duo- you get a gorgeous lighter olive minty green shade & a darker olive brown shadow. they are both unique. i dont own nothing like these colors. I love them both. they both have dimension & the colors change slightly in different lighting or depending on what shadow you top with. both colors are phenomenal! they will stay on for hours as long as you prime & top w/ powder so the oils dont break em down/crease up. Ive never had creasing problems w/ these using them that way. Theyre my fav cream bases ever!
=PACKAGING=
The duos come in a hard plastic circular compact w/ a twist close/open lid. The lid is rimmed in black the top has a see thru lid to see which colors are inside & product name & elf logo. it makes it nice since i have all of the available shades. Make sure to twist lid on track/properly to ensure your shadows dont dry up. it twists on track & should meet up w/ bottom. The bottom is where the cream shadows are. The backing is shiny black w/ small sticker w/ shade name. The cream shadows are half moon shaped & take up the whole circular. no excess packaging. The pan of shadows run deep & you get TONS of shadow. Both are easy to get to & use. 0.9 oz of shadow means alot & just enough since i dont want a huge amount of cream product that eventually will go bad. Its a great amount esp for the price. I love the simple & convenient packaging. They fit into the palm of your hands & small enough to fit into any makeup bag. Its simple & sturdy enough ive had no problem w/ them breaking & ive taken them everywhere w/ me.
Overall, the Elf Duo cream shadows are absolutely amazing! i use the duos everyday and OLive is so unique & complex & will add some great dimension to any look. The duo is great for those smoky green eyes or any fall look. this one will get its use esp right now since i love using metallic earthy tones & this duo makes the best base for those colors. I will continue to repurchase these duos & never want to see the day i dont have em! i have Mac Painterly & still end up reaching for these more than that :)

rated 2 of 5 on 9/19/2011 4:17:00 PM More reviews by Wario

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this a while ago, and even though the colours are lovely and look nice when they first go on they crease extremely quickly. My skin is very oily so that probably doesnt help but even dusting powder over the top doesn't improve it at all. They also feel quite heavy and almost sticky when they're on. They blend nicely and I found that they go on more easily if you warm the container between your hands first. Sometimes the twisting container can be a pain to open and close.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2011 8:30:00 PM More reviews by freyaluna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got my E.LF. Duo Eyeshadow Cream in Olive just yesterday, and so far it's working for me beautifully. I understand that it doesn't work for all skin types, and I experienced some creasing the first time I tried it on, but after a few misses, I found out that it helps to dust on a bit of powder foundation on the eyelids before AND after applying the product. Using the product sparingly also helps. My lids are on the dry side, so it feels like they just 'drink' in the eyeshadow. Weird, huh? It does feel soothing to me.

The color brings out my eyes and skintone well. I'm definitely going back for more.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2010 3:24:00 AM More reviews by egoh

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I won't recommend any of the E.L.F eyeshadow cream as eyeshadow, because they do crease after a few minutes, even though my lids are 'dry'. However, they work really well as a shadow base and you really need to use a little ! For me, I use them to bring out the colors of my shadows, which means I mostly use the Olive duo as a base for my "green/brown" powder shadows. It really gives any green/brown shadows more pop than on it's own.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/21/2010 1:27:00 PM More reviews by SourberryLily

Their worst product. This has the texture of vaseline and stays that way on your lid. The color as any elf product is darker then the website, but thats sometimes ok.

Whats not ok is the color it goes on as. It is barely tinted! Think of those cheap tinted chapstick you buy at the drugstore. Thats the color output they have. I got this olive as a freebie i think. It's not worth its packaging!

Wearing them as a base for other shadows make my eyes look cakey, wrinkly and old.

E.L.F. have some good products but don't buy their cream shadows.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/30/2010 3:45:00 AM More reviews by MMnoob

This doesn't not work as a color base or anything else for that matter. Its too greasy and when you apply your eyeshadow, it doesn't even stick! Ridiculous...to make matters worst, the eyeshadow just slips off. >=( Bad move to buy all of them.