July 31, 2014 | 2008 users online

Top/Base Coats - Orly - Matte Top

rated 3 of 5 on 5/30/2014 1:56:00 AM More reviews by mellowmarmar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is only a semi-matte type, but it dries in like 3 seconds. It would be a good first user type of matte top coat, but if you're looking for a more straight up just dull matte, I would look for a different one.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/1/2014 12:49:00 PM More reviews by d1d1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I just purchased Orly Matte Top Coat for about $10 (Canadian) at the local drugstore. The only reason I bought it was because I wanted to try something different than Essie "matte about you".

Overall:
If you like a semi matte finish go with Orly Matte Top Coat, it dries slowly.
If you like a dull/lusterless effect go with Essie Matte, it dries faster . It is also my favorite as I like the complete dull effect as a top coat for some bright nail polish colors.

I will continue using this matte by Orly for a while, but probably wouldn't buy it again mostly because it isn't as dull as I'd like it to be for myself. If you're new at "mattifying" your nails, this might be a good first top coat for you.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/28/2013 6:54:00 PM More reviews by soniask

I honestly don't like it. It isn't awful but it isn't a true matte finish. I had the essie matte finish and it was much better than this one. I tried to do my nails so the whole nail was matte but the tips and it didn't work out. The matte looked the same as the regular nail polish did by itself. If you are interested in buying this one I would say don't waste your money and buy a different brand. But the high gloss from Orly is good. If you are looking for other brands on Amazon you can get essie for 6 bucks.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/11/2013 9:52:00 PM More reviews by boringlauren

The only good thing about this product was the packaging. It cost $10 at Ulta and I only bought it because it was the only matte top coat they had in stock. Gives you a medium matte shine, not completely matte. It also took about 4 hours to dry, and even now about 10 hours later it doesn't have a hard set. I pretty much absolutely hate this top coat.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/30/2013 11:00:00 AM More reviews by okienat33

Didn't give me that matte look that I wanted plus it took FOREVER to dry!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/21/2012 2:27:00 PM More reviews by LeendaLy

I have used the China Glaze Matte Magic before and that was what I loved. I couldn't find it at my local Ulta so i opted for the Orly one. After using it, the finish is different than the China Glaze one. At first I thought it might be because the top coat didn't dry yet, but that wasn't it. I agree with the other reviews on here saying the finish is like a satin matte finish. It isn't entirely matte like the China Glaze one. Not saying that the finish is bad, I like it because it gives me a different finish and an alternative to regular nail polish finishes. However, with that being said, after applying this matte finish I did experience bubbling on my nails which was never an issue for me. I thought that was odd. Not entirely sure why it bubbled. Also, the China Glaze Matte Magic dries my nails in like 10 seconds whereas this one takes a bit longer. I know this because typically I use a fast drying top coat or the matte magic and the next day there are no indentions on my nails. With this matte coat, on 1 of my nails there was a indention because it didn't dry quickly enough. I will use this, but I'm not entirely satisfied with the results; therefore, I bought the Essie matte version since I can no longer find the China Glaze Matte Magic. :( I wanted matte nails for the fall and winter time!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/21/2012 2:16:00 AM More reviews by 4misstish

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was so hoping for a good matte finish. Wow, I am so disappointed! This topcoat did NOT give a true matte finish. It leaves a shine on the nail that never turns truly matte. For the price I would have expected a true matte finish. HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED!!!! I would never buy this again or recommend it to anyone.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2010 5:25:00 PM More reviews by forcedorgasm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

i only bought this b.c it was $3 at trade secrets. i tested it on the AIW collection from OPI on some tape. it didnt give a true matte finish, but rather a satin matte. i ended up buying this to replace my china glaze matte magic, which i adore. i only want to use my matte magic on special occasions and the orly for an everyday type of "matte" look.

This has dried completely over my opi polish an I notice that orly has degraded the staying power of my polish. Its now easily knicking off, even though its completely dried. Therefore, I wouldn't buy this again. The durability has dropped since applying this. it also tweaked the color of the nail polish after it dried..

**yet another update..- i tried using this again.. applied over opi, this ruined my paint job.. took longer than any other polish to dry.. when even it seemed dry, it still dented and smudged after 15mins of doing nothing.. complete waste

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2009 3:32:00 PM More reviews by shopping_sushi_style

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I actually love this!

Other reviewers are right in that it does not give your nails a completely matte matte looks it is definitely more of a matte satin. But, for me, it is the perfect matte: 1 layer over a creme finish polish (Rimmel Lycrawear) gave me a lovely matte finish, enough to look different to anyone glancing at my nails, but not as flat as a full-on matte often looks. I guess the best way to describe the finish is that it looks like someone stretched and pulled a thin colored rubber balloon on my nails. It looks really different without being severe.

And, of course, the Orly bottle with rubber grip is so easy to manage!

My only slight gripe is that this is not easy to put on (I am still learning to apply polish properly, though) and it can glop and go on unevenly. However, if you are experienced enough to apply this evenly, it would look even more amazing. And I didn't even do a good job with my polish layer underneath (I found Rimmel Lycrawear to be REALLY gloppy and difficult to use), to be honest!

I think this is a great way to easy myself into mattifying my polishes; I was wary that the matte look wouldn't work for me. This is the perfect middle ground. Can't wait to try it over some other types of colors!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/29/2009 9:13:00 PM More reviews by Pifflove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Black

I had no problems with this other than the fact that it should be called "Satin Top" rather than "Matte Top". It gives my polishes a lovely satin finish (w/ no application problems) but no where near matte.