August 1, 2014 | 1678 users online

Fragrances - L'Occitane - Eau des Baux

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by stls

Side by side comparison with Tobacco Vanille (two sprays on each wrist)

About the bottles: the Tom Ford looks classier but I actually prefer the L'Occitane sprayer which provides an even wide mist instead of a stream.

Inital impresion
EdB: loads of pepper and a bit of cardamom
TV: cloves accompanied by dry fruits

2' later
The tobacco in TV starts to emerge while EdB is still all about the pepper

10' after application
The fir in EdB strats peeking through the spices and dominates over time, TV is all tobacco

45' after application
The first traces of incense can be detected in EdB, TV becomes sweeter

1hr after application
EdB consists of equal parts of cypress and incense while TV is dominated by the vanilla

2hr after application
No significant change about the scent but the sillage of EdB has dropped quite a bit when TV is still strong

Drydown
EdB has evolved to a creamy, ambery vanilla surrounded by tonka bean, TV has become a woody vanilla/ tonka with hints of cocoa

Both are almost equally long lasting, 8+ hours at least

EdB should be marketed as unisex, as far as woody orientals go Le Baisier du Dragon for example smells more masculine to me, I can even say that it shares a few similarities with Sensuous Noir (the foresty notes - cypress instead of pine - and the sweet ambery drydown and spices)

Overall I think EdB is the best L'Occitane offering and doesn't lack craftsmanship, performance or quality ingredients. It's better made than most department store fragrances and I can't see it not working even as a blind buy if you like sweet, woody and spicy scents.

If TV is ''Winter'' then EdB is ''Autumn''. If I had to keep one for myself - without considering the price - I'd prefer TV because it's thicker, smoother and sweeter but if I had to choose a gift - again, without considering the price - I'd go for EdB since it's greener, fresher, easier to wear and more versatile.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2013 1:17:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

I very rarely wear any type of fragrance. I bought this for my hubby when the L'Occitane SA suggested it and now I wear it more than he does. I went back for the shower gel and matching deodorant. I spray this on my pillows, clothes, and my husband when he's not looking :)

I tend to go for these types of warm but not sickly sweet scents because my father always wore a pipe tobacco/vanilla/cypress/leather warm scent and now I love anything that reminds me of when he was alive.

I've been wearing it for years now and it is the only scent I have ever bought multiple bottles of. Usually I get bored with whatever I am wearing or it gives me migraines and I have a graveyard of too many fragrances to count that I've used once or twice and then never again, so am happy to have found this one.

I won't describe the scent as it's been repeated a few times - but I will say I find this scent irresistible on a man, and beautiful on a woman. It's warm yet masculine. I would not describe this as anything like those unisex fragrances thankfully. I just wear the lightest spritz and get lots of compliments, and no headaches from this.

I hope they never discontinue this. Definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2013 10:18:00 PM More reviews by Rocki

I bought this for my 28 year old son. He wasn't thrilled at first, but now likes it. It's different, not the typical men's cologne you often smell. It's not strong, kind of subtle. I like it, but not as strong as the tester was in the store, but it's nice.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2013 4:25:00 PM More reviews by SUPAtime

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

A very rich and sweet vanilla base with amber, incense, tobacco, and resinous woods. It starts out with some spice (cardamom with a touch of pepper) but quickly develops into a sweet vanillic composition. There are facets of resin soaked wood (cypress), dry wood (like bleached driftwood), and sweet, smoky pipe tobacco. The incense notes have an almost floral tone at the start but then become less so as the fragrance develops. A luxurious vanilla base makes up the center of Eau des Baux. Accented with cola, amber, and dried fruit (maybe raisin?) the effect is warm and rich. While it sounds super heavy, there is an expansive quality to it that keeps it from becoming leaden and overly dense. As you might expect from such a base based composition, the staying power is very good.

From L'Occitane's description, I was expecting something more woody/cypress and traditionally masculine. To my delight this isn't the case at all. First and foremost Eau des Baux gives the impression of vanilla, and there are no typical "men's cologne" notes in it. I feel very comfortable wearing this even though I am a woman.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2013 9:02:00 PM More reviews by alina08

I bought this for my boyfriend for Christmas because I tried a sample in the store and I could not stop thinking about it. This is a wonderful scent, more masculine than feminine, but it would not be impossible for a woman to pull off. The scent has good staying power and over time mellows out to a softer, more vanilla-y scent. As far as price goes, this cologne/perfume is very reasonable in price. The best part is that there are other products from L'Occitane with the same scent, so this is a great way to layer the scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2012 9:34:00 AM More reviews by greydovefeatherwing

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Another Templar scent. Brilliant!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2010 4:57:00 PM More reviews by tessture

Gentle spice vanilla-wood-musk of fancy soap or French perfume. Almost plum notes in there. Warm/cool, smooth, gorgeous incense spices. Dry down is Rhukus incense. Love it. Lasts well, medium sillage. Want

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2009 5:31:00 PM More reviews by LittleBear23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I marked that I would buy this again because I DO like it, but I probably won't actually buy it again because I don't LOVE it and I like to try lots of fragrances.

So, I bought this for myself. I'm a woman. I've never worn a man's scent before but I like them. I woke up one day feeling like a needed a woody scent to wear. Something truly woody, not like the "woody" scents for women which are actually florals with a itty bit of sandalwood or something on the dry-down. I knew L'Occitane had a Cedre fragrance so I went over there.

I couldn't decide between this and the Cedre, which is a woman's scent. I went for this just because I was feeling like a stronger, more masculine scent might be cool. It is. I like the scent. It's nice and woody. I occasionally notice it during the day, but not as often as I'd like. I think it does have staying power but it only lets off scent when I get warm or perspire. Perhaps that's to prevent men from stinking since they tend to wear too much! LOL!

Anyway, I like it. It's nice. If I only use one spray it is very subtle. Definitely worth a try for women wanting to try a man's scent and for a guy if he knows how to wear cologne properly.

I think I'll try the Cedre next.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2009 12:34:00 PM More reviews by NancyDrew27

I bought this for my guy around Christmastime and I'm so happy I did! I had a tough time deciding between this and L'Occitane's Vetiver for men, but in the end, I couldn't resist the cypress and sweet smoke billowing out of the atomizer of Eau des Baux.

Upon initial whiff, the notes I discern are cypress (so natural and obvious, it will bring to mind the smell of freshly cut wood), sweet resins (I detect a hint of amber and something that I can't quite place), a subtle hint of vanilla which ties everything together and adds just enough warmth, anise (which is prominent in the top notes but fades a bit with time) as well as a bit of pepper and wood smoke (which must be the incense note listed, I suppose).

As another reviewer noted, this fragrance is linear, it doesn't change or develop into something different on the skin and I adore that about it. It is sexy, warm, exotic and yet still clean, from first spray until dry-down. Though I should mention that wood notes often smell clean to me and there are no aquatic or green notes of any sort that I can detect in this scent. Something about this scent reminds me of summer, though it most definitely is a woody oriental, and I think it must be the woods and smoke that take me back to the summer camping trips of my youth. Wearing it in the summer wouldn't be a faux pax though, it's woody notes stand out the most and I think woods can (and should) be worn year-round.

It could easily be worn by a woman and if the label on the bottle didn't specify "for men," I would probably consider it myself, but alas, I follow directions and am easily led so that is why my guy is currently wearing Eau des Baux instead of me. Oh, and also, it smells amazing on him and it's usually more fun when he smells sexy, anyway ;)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2008 3:42:00 PM More reviews by Nixe

Eau des Baux is part of the men's fragrance lineup from l'Occitain, and their ad copy from the official website reads as such:

"In Provence, the knights from the village of Les Baux chose the cypress tree as a symbol of their strength and honor, and a bright star in the sky as their guiding force. In honor of their courage, L'OCCITANE has created a sensual and mysterious blend of cypress and incense named Eau de Baux.

"Top Note: Pink pepper, Cardamom
Middle Note: Cyprus, Incense
Base Note: Vanilla, Tonka Bean"

This fragrance is an exquisite, cool, dry woods fragrance. I get nothing but cool, mildly camphorous incense and cypress over a beautiful wood accord with perhaps a touch of myrrh. I find Eau des Baux neither masculine nor feminine, and I get no artificiality at all from it.

Eau des Baux is a very linear scent, and lacks complexity and depth, but it makes up for it that in what else it lacks: there is nothing chemical or obvious about it, nothing sweet or heavy. It would be at home in the dessert or on a Mediterranean beach - it's reminiscent of cool ocean winds, burning hot sand, driftwood and bonfires.

It's a casual fragrance, and perfect for lovers of the woody, spicy, and oriental to wear when the weather doesn't permit the usual dark fragrances. It's unlike anything else on the market, but it's simple and doesn't try. Perfect to wear to the gym, to dance class, for a romp in the woods or to the beach to smell clean and woody but totally inoffensive and non-chemical. It lasts and lasts, too. continued >>

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No