April 20, 2014 | 1924 users online

Treatments - Organic Neem Oil

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2014 11:09:00 PM More reviews by bluestar21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got this from Whole Foods. It's a brand called Alaffia and they had it available in a pot for $6 or in a dropper bottle. The dropper bottle might be more hygenic, but this oil is a solid so it might be a hassle to melt it.

First, the scent. I honestly don't find it to be bad at all. If it wasn't for everyone describing it in such colorful ways, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. It smells mildly like peanut butter if you use a little. If you use a lot it smells like peanut and garlic/onions. You can smell the sample at Whole Foods if you are that concerned about it.

I have heard it makes a good spot treatment. I put it on and.... nothing happens. Next I plan to use it as an all over moisturizer, so I will update this review later.

UPDATE: I have been using this as an all-over moisturizer and it works well. Keeps my skin hydrated. The anti-bacterial properties may be helping as well.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/21/2014 1:16:00 PM More reviews by m33m4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I'm not usually one that cares about smells. If something works but is stinky I can deal. This is honestly the only product I've ever tried that has managed to offend my nose, it literally, LITERALLY, smells like smelly feet mixed with the garbage bag at a Chinese restaurant. I couldn't use it for long enough to see any results, but I am an avid fan of neem powder (which works really well in taming my acne) and wanted an easier substitute to a crackly face mask. I don't doubt that the oil would work as a skin treatment, though some might get purging and some might require more time, as neem is an incredible acne fighter and all around skin saver, but it smells festy. If you're as grossed out by the odour as me, I recommend trying a neem powder and yoghurt face mask every second/third day. It works wonders and, while it can be messy, it doesn't smell like grot. It's worked better for me than 10000 other branded acne treatments.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2013 5:55:00 PM More reviews by 1m083n

i didn't know whether to write this under unlisted brand, because the bottle i have is by 'Pukka'. Also, because it's not GOW i don't know if anyone will ever read this review either...
However, my experience with Neem oil.
I could not and would not use this as a facial moisturiser, it smells quite offensively, but it really does WONDERS for older skin. My mother is almost 60, people think she is 30 and she mixes a drop of this with her Argan oil and it just plumps out her wrinkles dramatically, better than creme de la mer, elizabeth arden and any other type of oil we've got our hands on.
On me, apart from really not wanting to smell like the inside of a belly button at uni and the fact i find it actually does cause acne on random places of my face where i don't usually break out (did a spot test of it to see if Neem was the cause, alas, it was). The REAL MIRACLE of this diamond deep in the rough is its ability to grow eyelashes. A lot of them, very very quickly. Genuinely hurts like a mofo if it gets in your eyes, so use it sparingly along the lash line before going to bed.
I have trichotillomania really terribly so just tear out my lashes and eyebrows from the root, however, using neem oil grows them back better, fuller, stronger and in a vast quantity more! I cannot believe it, truly gods gift to the world. Will use it if i happen to stray north to my eyebrows ever, although it will give me spots around the brow...price i will pay for hair.

So, in conclusion, great for older skin, bad for acne prone skin, FANTASTIC FOR EYELASH GROWTH.
Never ever, will i be without this.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/8/2013 8:27:00 AM More reviews by heiress33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

The worst thing about this product is that it smells like shit! I am one of those people who is pretty sensitive to most smells. I feel nautious and dizzy when I smell something different or bad. But this oil was the worst. I have been suffering from hair fall for quite some time now and I read reviews that this product is effective in treating hair loss so I went out to my local health food store and bought myself a tiny bottle. I put it all over my scalp before going to sleep and let me tell you something...I COULDN'T SLEEP!! the stench was so bad I had to start smelling a bottle of nail polish to make me feel better! I was tossing and turning all night and felt extremely nautious but I couldn't vomit :( anyway I don't think I will ever repurchase this product ever again. Also put some on my face that night and what do you know I had 7..let me repeat 7 new pimples and they were badass pimples as well. Not happy!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/29/2013 2:57:00 AM More reviews by hellotammy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't normally write reviews but I have only seen rave reviews for neem oil and I couldn't disagree more. I bought Alaffia unrefined neem oil and it came in a little glass tub. The smell of this stuff didn't bother me at all, I come from a Thai background so the garlicky smell was sometimes strangely appetising. Okay, let's get down to the nitty gritty. I was just recovering from a few months of really bad acne and I thought I'd give neem oil a go on some of the spots that were still popping up. I dabbed this on my forehead and nose and went to sleep, the next morning I had 4 new angry red headless pimples on my forehead and whiteheads all around my nose. I was in denial at first, surely the much raved about miracle neem oil couldn't have caused these monstrous zits on my face. But I continued to apply it to my pimples for the next two nights and sure enough, my face was a mess of cystic acne and whiteheads. I had just recovered from my last acne outbreak and this terrible oil had undone all my hard work and broke me out even worse than before! I will NEVER purchase this again. I have the whole tub of neem oil left but I only purchased it for around $5 so I won't feel bad at all for throwing it out.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2013 10:16:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

UPDATE: This stuff is amazing if you have deep, stubborn blackheads. I had a few on my chest and I put a tiny bit of neem on at night time. In the morning, the blackheads are completely gone.

I consider neem oil a 'cure-all' for so many ailments. You really need to get used to the scent though...I've heard it described as garlicky-peanut butter which is really true. Don't plan on using this if you're going to be out and about....unless you don't mind smelling that way!

I initially bought it for my husband who has severe eczema. It worked well to relieve the itchy, red patches he would get all over his body, but the smell was very overpowering so he discontinued use.

I currently use neem on my acne break outs. I had two newly 'erupted' spots that were red and painful. I put a small dab of neem on them at night and when I woke up they were both significantly smaller, basically gone except for the redness.

I've also used neem on my dog because she gets dry patches during the Winter/Spring months. After a few days the patches are gone and no more itchy dog!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2013 2:27:00 AM More reviews by Sunnydelite62901

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

this is a nice oil, especially if your skin is irritated congested or injured. I use this after I micro needling and I also use this after I burned my face once over doing it with the gyloic acid. people complain about the smell I mix mine with lavender oil and a little bit of almond oil and it's fine. I don't understand about these people who compalin them so much if you don't like it just mix it with some Gernaium oil or lavender oil, duh!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2013 2:49:00 AM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

If you live in India, the properties of neem are legendary. I have been growing a neem plant and tried boiling the leaves in water as a face rinse a couple of times with good results, but it's a bit difficult to work with just leaves and they run out quickly unless you have a whole tree!

It took a horrible attack of eczema all over my arms to force me to try it more seriously. I got some neem oil from my pharmacy. In India it's less than a dollar for a bottle, no fancy packaging. I mixed just 2-3 drops with Egyptian Magic and applied it all over my arms every morning (at night it gets too messy and smelly on my sheets). I also started taking the capsules twice a day. They are made by the Himalaya herbal brand - I forget the cost but not very expensive either.

At first, my skin stung like crazy and the pus and blood continued to come out. I had a couple of very uncomfortable and messy nights. That was on Monday. It's Thursday today and all the pus and bleeding has stopped. The skin is still sore and very very dry but the dry skin is peeling off. It's still a bit itchy but not unbearable and overall it feels much better and looks like it will be completely fine. I was also starting to get it around my collarbone and neck so I'm trying this treatment before it gets to the full blown stage.

All in all, I couldn't be happier. It's cheap, effective and natural. I wish I'd done it ten years ago when I had a similar attack instead of using steroid creams. Yes it smells but it's not such a bad smell. It smells like food, like curry. In India, people are much more accepting and also there is much more air circulation so it's not that noticeable. I feel like the capsules are also making my facial skin much clearer, which is why I haven't had the chance to try this out as an anti-acne treatment. I am going to try it on my hair for dandruff next and will update here!

Look towards nature people!

UPDATE: I stopped using this when my homeopath suggested another ointment but I wish I had used it all the way through. Nevertheless, while it cut the weeping and bleeding short, it didn't cure me completely. I have heard that it helps but doesn't not completely solve the problem and that you have to use steroid cream. However I hate the idea of steroids and am trying a non-steroid cream called Atopiclair which seems promising. Will report on that later. In the future I will use neem oil as a preventive measure.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2012 1:02:00 AM More reviews by ofelia1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Amazing product! I can confirm everything that has been said about it clearing huge cysts and bumps, keeping pores clean and clear and preventing pimples from forming! I have been using it for a month and before that I have never been without a pimple or two on my face at any given time, All I do is, I put it all over my face once or twice a day and I never break out since I started this routine. Really HOLLY GRAIL for acne skin, plus keeps skin moisturized and supple without clogged pores or worries about them.
I regained my confidence thanks to it. I use Neem Aura cold pressed neem oil (nothing added). It little solidifies at room temperature but melts on your skin immediately. People complain about the smell but strangely I like it - maybe because I enjoy gourmet exotic foods with weird smells - I just think of it that way.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2012 11:27:00 PM More reviews by muse1342

I have been suffering from acne for 12 years and tried absolutely everything that was ever invented for this problem - saw countless dermatologists, tried lasers and other devices... I am a Retin-a user as well, but that doesn't help at all with deep hormonal cysts. At one point I tried many oils in the hope that they would reduce my own oil production (when I gave up on conventional medicine and decided to try holistic) and it made my skin AWFUL!!! Those oils include coconut oil, olive oil, tea tree oil, Dr. Hauschka and Decleor oils for balancing oily skin... and after looking horrendous I swore never to get any oil close to my face!
Now I am into all natural products and one product at my health store just sparked my curiosity - cold pressed neem oil. I bought it not really knowing what I would do with it.... I was too afraid to put it on my skin - that was out of question. So one day I had an awful acne outbreak on my back - all the pores were so clogged and inflamed. I decided (since there was nothing to loose) to put neem oil overnight. And I was so amazed when I got up in the morning with 100% clear back - yes, no single zit or clogged pore!!!! I couldn't believe it and thought I lost my mind! So next day I put it on one deep painful cyst on my face (I was still a little scared) and it had the exact same effect!!!! 100% clearing and no single clogged pore!!! I swear! I thought all oils are evil for acne skin, but apparently not this one! It literally saved me - I am not canceling a party because of looking awful for the first time in years! - actually I look amazing now and want to open my face to the world! Don't be afraid - try it. It may change your life forever!

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No