December 22, 2014 | 1129 users online

Mascara - Cargo - Better-Than-Waterproof Black

rated 2 of 5 on 11/13/2014 8:14:00 PM More reviews by rfoss16

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I had really high hopes for this mascara, but unfortunately they weren't all fulfilled. I liked that it was a tubing mascara and had a pretty good list of ingredients (free of parabens and phenoxyethanol). It does not smudge but It is also very difficult to remove--this does not remove like most tubing mascaras, and even using jojoba oil I had a hard time getting everything off at night. So I will contend that this kind of *is* a waterproof mascara.

This mascara also flakes. While wearing this mascara, I developed some of the worst eye irritation that I have ever had. I am definitely not solely blaming this mascara for the non-infectious case of GPC (Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis) I developed, but I do think it exacerbated irritation/inflammation/allergic reactions in my eyes.

As for appearance, I wasn't too thrilled with this mascara's performance in that arena either. I have very long, fine lashes and they would easily clump and look spidery. It didn't deliver great volume, either. I also think this mascara made me lose a lot of lashes, probably from the clumping and struggle to fully wash it off every night.

I am currently using MAC Extended Play Gigablack Lash and am having much better luck with it. The MAC Gigablack will work better for you if you have long, fine lashes and are looking for a deeply pigmented, non-flaking, volumizing, and easily removed tubing mascara. I'll update this review once I use up this mascara, as I am on the hunt for the best mascara in terms of ingredients, longwear, easy removal, and agreeability with sensitive eyes suffering from GPC.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2014 12:56:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

It definitely is better than waterproof: apply it and nothing short of jumping into a pool will take it off. Even after submersion, it is still notoriously difficult to remove: I have to hold a soaked washcloth to my eyes for a minute and then rub (I know) before it starts coming off. Unfortunately it doesn't come off in neat little tubes like Blinc or even L'Oreal: it crumbles off and is actually kind of a mess.

The formula doesn't do anything drastic in terms of volume and length. It's a heavy, gluey formula but nowhere as bad as Too Faced's Lash Injection. But still, it requires combing between coats if you want to have any lash separation.

One annoying feature it has is the brush. It's not an exceptionally large brush, but for some reason it is very prone to landing on eye surfaces other than the lash. If this happens, clean it up fast with a wet Q-tip because once it sets it's not going anywhere.

It's not a horrible product, but honestly, it's not great enough for me to want to repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2013 2:49:00 PM More reviews by spacebabe4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this mascara. I wear it every day. All mascaras runs on me, but this stuff is like glue. Yet when I wash my face at night it just disappears. Lancome Definicils is another I have tried, but it doesn't give the same volume and drama as Cargo. You can layer this over any other mascara and make it better than waterproof too! It does get flaky once it is a few months old. Totally worth the 20 bucks. I actually found it through a Citi credit card deal for 11 dollars. Sweet!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2013 3:32:00 PM More reviews by erincollard

I bought this mascara at Ulta and found it was the only mascara I'd purchased that didn't smudge or give me raccoon eyes. I returned it, however, because I hadn't used tubing mascara before and thought I was pulling out my eyelashes when I removed it.

I'm using the Clinique smudgeproof now and it's pretty good but I think I'll repurchase now that I've read the reviews and I understand how it works. It might just be worth the mess when you remove it. I wish Cargo had given better instructions on the packaging.

Update: my second tube was all dried out. Ulta didn't have any on the shelf and found one somewhere (which may have been a demo tube because it was dried out, gave me no volume, and had to be reapplied throughout the day). I don't buy anything at Ulta anymore, so maybe I'll try a third tube that I buy from somewhere else?

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2012 3:07:00 PM More reviews by perfectionism

Finally - no smudges! It definitely doesn't remove quite the same as other tubing mascaras and tends to break off in pieces instead, but there's minimal tugging involved and my lashes are quite happy. I switched to this from MUFE aqua smoky lash (not tubing) which was a huge pain to take off! I get nice length and volume from this drier formula but could use a little more drama for a special event. I'm very pleased with it as an everyday mascara, but I do find that I need 2-3 coats to make my lashes look lush :) I love the tapered wand, too! I do find flakes very rarely with this mascara and wear this to the gym often.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2012 5:51:00 PM More reviews by SwampThing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

This is pretty much the only mascara I use now. I LOVE it. I already have very long eyelashes, and this mascara just makes them insane. People actually ask me if I'm wearing fake lashes. I also live where it is very humid, and not once has this rubbed off, flaked, or smudged AT ALL. It is not too hard to get off with a good makeup remover or good soap.....and it is always weird seeing fibers running down your face- but otherwise, no complaints! My holy grail of mascaras.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2012 5:40:00 PM More reviews by lilly116

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am a fan of tubing mascaras because every mascara, even waterproof, WILL smudge on me (unless I use a combination of a primer such as Origins or Clinique under or Clarins Mascara Fix --great product which I have also reviewed-- over, which adds a lot of extra cost and an extra step). If you don't have that problem, I'm sure you could find a mascara that delivers similar results that is cheaper.

That being said, I think this is my favorite tubing mascara out of Clinique High impact Curling (my last favorite -- which flaked a little and was more volumizing than lengthening IMO), Two Faced Lash Injection pinpoint (not enough impact) Lash Injection (flaked a LOT) and Blinc Kiss Me (also not enough impact, but the easiest to remove).

As has been noted, this does not come off in tubes, but if you thoroughly WET with warm water and splash (I kind of hold my lashes gently so the water soaks them) it does comes off without a separate remover, although it is more in pieces.

I got a small sample tube at Ulta which was not at all dry, so if it dries out quickly that would affect my decision to repurchase.

The reasons I liked this one the best was because you could build it some -- do one eye, do the other, and come back and add another coat to the first eye -- which you CANNOT do with most tubing mascaras. Also, as someone else noted -- this works better if you just comb it through without wiggling the brush (wiggling made it clump on me). This allows for IMO a nicely lengthened, slightly thickened, nicely defined lash with no clumping.

I generally prefer a lengthening mascara to a volumizing one, as my lashes are short. It is definitely enough for me for everyday, and even for evening with a heavier liner. It also does not flake and most importantly for me does not smudge, even on bottom lashes. I can't testify that it is waterproof since I haven't tried that yet.

I am not thrilled that for $20 it is more than the Clinique, but I like the lengthened and defined look it gives me better. It also holds my curl (although the Clinique does that too) and it leaves my lashes soft. What more could you ask? : )

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2012 6:49:00 PM More reviews by mehays

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Best mascara I've found for not smearing on hot summer days by the pool. It does clump alot though. I got it in a mini and usually wipe some off before I apply it to prevent clumping on lashes, This probably wastes a lot, so I wouldn't use it as everyday mascara. No problem removing with DHC cleansing oil

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2012 11:43:00 AM More reviews by vaigai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is awesome! I got a sample-size in a luxebox and at first, I wasn't too enthused about the 'tubes' concept. I have fairly long and thick eyelashes and I hate wearing non-clear mascara because it looks clumpy and gross on me and doesn't do much.

This stuff though.. amazing. It subtly thickens and lengthens my lashes - they look dramatic and beautiful like falsies - but NO CLUMPS. This formula is super smooth and the brush doesn't look like anything special, but it works.

My only complaint with this mascara is that I don't actually notice the "tube" effect - it comes off in little.. speckles.. which can be irritating to my eyes. And it takes a TON of effort to get this off (which is good..ish..). It is definitely "better" than waterproof. I'm not sure how much it costs full size or in store, but when this runs out.. I will definitely repurchase unless it is crazy expensive.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2012 6:04:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this mascara!

I fell in love with "tubing" mascara after trying MAC Optimum Black, because I found this kind of formula to wear wonderfully on contact-lens-wearing, oily-skinned me. Earlier this year, though, I quit buying MAC, and all other Estee Lauder brands, when EL started contracting for animal testing.

The hunt was on for a tubing mascara from a cruelty-free company. I tried a mascara by Trish McEvoy, and it was way too clumpy. Then it was Too Faced Lash Injection, which gave me "raccoon eyes" in short order. Enter Cargo Better-Than-Waterproof.

It's true that Better-Than-Waterproof does not add a lot of volume, but I'm more interested in length than volume, anyhow, and this mascara lengthens nicely, is a good deep black, is not at all clumpy, and it STAYS ON. I do notice a few flakes by the end of the day, after a nap, but nothing that can't be easily swept off with a tissue. At $20, Better-Than-Waterproof is on the pricey side, but I don't mind paying more for cruelty-free.

I haven't been using Better-Than-Waterproof for very long, and if my opinion changes, I'll update this review, but so far, it's looking good.