April 17, 2014 | 931 users online

Sunscreen - Jane Iredale - Powder-Me SPF Dry Sunscreen

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2013 4:15:00 PM More reviews by dxwl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I bought this product after having tried countless sunscreens. I like to use sun protection because i work outdoors and also use a strong retinoid nightly. My skin is quite sensitive and I found that chemical sunscreens, after a few weeks use, broke me out. I have also tried endless physical/mineral sunscreens in liquid formulas and they always felt heavy. In addition, being a guy, nearly all of the physical sunscreens looked very obvious; they left a noticeable white sheen on my skin (I have medium/tan skin); looked like I was wearing some sort of foundation; or balled up in my stubble.
This product is lightweight, absorbs oil and so far, hasn't broken me out. Although the product is transparent (they make a golden one) the whiteness is only noticeable when first applied and quickly blends into your face in a couple of minutes.
The negative aspects of this product are that the applicator is fiddly to use and I am not entirely sure how long the sponge will last. Perhaps, it would be easier just to use a powder brush to apply this. Also, the main sunscreen ingredient is titanium dioxide. I am of the opinion that the benefits of zinc oxide are much better and can never understand why it is not used more that titanium dioxide. Perhaps someone else could shed some light on this for me?? Nonetheless, this product is well formulated, isn't irritating and will have to do until I find an alternative.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/29/2013 4:29:00 AM More reviews by faffner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wish I could give this product four and a half lippies. I am generally happy with it and am relieved to have found a sunscreen I can use, but it does have a few issues.

First the good: It doesn't make me angry. This statement may seem odd to a lot of you, but I think some of you out there may understand. Most sunscreens I have tried are thick and occlusive. They keep my skin from breathing properly, leading me to overheat, and the minute I put them on I feel disgusting and greasy, like I need to take a second shower. I have to admit that, although I know these things are trivial in the day to day course of life, I can't help it -- they make me grumpy. Powder-Me SPF allows me to use whatever moisturizer works for me underneath it, a distinct advantage considering my highly sensitive, pimple- and rash-prone skin. When I use it with NOW Foods brand grapeseed oil, my skin can breathe, I feel normal, and I don't get extra rashes or any pimples, which has never happened with a sunscreen before.

Now the disadvantages: Applying my moisturizer first and then patting and blending this all over my body adds a significant amount of time to my morning routine. Also, as other reviewers have noted, the applicator is kind of a pain. The topmost powder puff fell off onto the floor when I was using it, and when I contacted Jane Iredale to inquire about the best way to clean it, the customer service rep said that she didn't think the applicator would stand up to washing. She was extremely nice about it and sent me extra applicator pads, but I feel that the inability to clean the applicator, especially when you're supposed to reapply sunscreen throughout the day over accumulated grime, is not the best design choice.

Overall, I am very happy with this sunscreen and will keep using it. My sensitive skin cannot tolerate anything else (I've tried many, including other powders like Susan Posnick), and I love the fact that I can change the underlying moisturizer as I please. But those of you for whom ease of use is a priority might find application of this product annoying.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by polarpooch

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

i deleted my old review and am replacing it with a new one. first, i think this is a very effective sunscreen IF you can get it applied properly. application is tricky. but it definitely works. HOWEVER, i want to offer this review for women WITH VERY VERY OILY SKIN only, who have struggled to get their makeup to stay on for any length of time. i'm writing this for the ones who have spent hours on the internet searching the terms "best foundation for very oily skin" or "solutons for oily skin" and found nothing that worked for them.

i used every primer known to man and nothing worked to keep even the strongest makeup (EL DOUBLE WEAR!) from sliding off my face in under 6 hours (6 hours is the MAX, even with ELDW). i needed something that stayed on longer than that, because i work 14 hour days. so one day, i was going through my mountain of cosmetics, and found my old JI Powder Me. I thought "hmmm...maybe a POWDER would work better as a sunscreen on my FACE, too". so i put aside my sunscreen (which did nothing but make my oily skin worse), and used this instead.

i applied a very thin layer of hourglass mineral veil primer on my t-zone. i applied a medium application JI Powder Me (with a powder brush)--waited about 2 minutes to let everything "melt". then applied my Double Wear over it.

first, it LOOKED GOOD. so, it didn't look chalky or weird. the powder actually helped my foundation go on smoother. applied a very light dusting of clinique almost powder over my whole face to set it all, and headed off to my 14 hour day.

this did not really control oil that well....BUT...BUT...somehow it kept my makeup on ALL DAY. i did use fewer blotting papers, but really, the big win was that my foundation stayed on. for 14 hours--even on my face, which is so horribly oily, you'd all feel really sorry for me if you saw it!

yes, you'll still have to blot. no, it won't make you stop getting oily. but jeez...isn't just having your foundation last worth it? it is to me.

so there. get some of this and try it as a primer. it's a sunscreen, so you can toss out your other liquid SPFs. it helps makeup go on smoother. and somehow, at least with EL double wear, it made my makeup last all day.

can't even believe i finally found something that worked. smack me if you hate my idea, but i'm sticking to this plan!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2013 6:36:00 PM More reviews by Pinky911

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I use this in conjunction with my Meow Cosmetics mineral makeup, for added sun protection (I think my mineral makeup provides a barrier as well). I haven't had any noticeable breakouts yet and this seems to provide a nice finish over makeup.

The packaging it comes in is awful, end of story. However, the first time I used it, I just dumped about 1/4 of the original container in to an empty Meow Cosmetics case (plastic, with lid and holes/filters). This works just fine. I tap some out on to the lid and apply with a kabuki brush just like I would my makeup. Hoping my skin continues to like this as I gave up on finding a liquid sunscreen that wouldn't break me out or make me greasy.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2013 1:54:00 AM More reviews by brooke1984

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Great product for my blemish prone skin. Does not make my face look oily like most liquid sunscreens do. However, the applicator could be improved to make it more user friendly. JI could also consider introducing more shades into the range.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2012 6:52:00 PM More reviews by DaisyKenyon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My dermatologist recommend this product and after sampling it, I purchased. I wish there was a "maybe" option on whether or not I'd buy the product again, because I'm not 100% on it.

I use it over moisturizer and it protects my skin without looking cakey and gives me a natural, subtle coloring. I agree with other reviewers that the sponge applicator is not especially easy to use. If it gets on your clothing - either spillage or from contact to your skin, it easily washes out. For me, it doesn't release enough of the product without my having to beat myself silly with the darn thing. Also, the top is a pull-off, not a twist-off. And the reason why this is good to note, is that if the top has been loosened from a natural instinct to twist it open, you might just end up with the sponge-top on the vanity and a face full of expensive powder (ask me how I know this...).

So overall, the product is good and I like it. The better a sunscreen is and the more attractive it can be on the skin, the more it will be used. The packaging could be reworked to make it more efficient to use, and that's the main reason I don't embrace it 100%.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2012 6:29:00 AM More reviews by mollyduprat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this spf powder, very protective for my light skin. I use it on a very oily cream, as a primer, and I add a very light layer of mineral make up (sheer miracles or meow cosmetics);
However I have critics : the lighter color is too light, the darker is too orange, so I used to mix both before the new medium shade went on.
And I do not like the packaging : the sponge may be nice for body, but for the face it is too big. So I open the jar, put a small quantity in a bowl and apply the power either with Jane Iredale's flocked sponge or with a synthetic kabuki (Eminence powder brush is nice too) - I could wear it alone, it is nice, but when I want to be more sophisticated I add some mineral make up. I have already bought several jars of this powder, and will do it again. very reliable for the sun protection.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/9/2011 2:39:00 PM More reviews by wiresinhisheart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

i had been looking for a sunscreen that wouldnt cause irritation or acne for ages, and read many reviews on various websites saying this stuff was good.
the jar this product comes in has a little application sponge attached to it, that seems really gross and unhygienic to me, so i used a make up brush to apply instead.

this sunscreen is GREAT at protecting my skin against the sun, my skin tone has really evened out since i started using it, but thats the only real positive. i bought the tinted version which works very well with my yellow-based skin tone, although it would probably make a lot of pale people look orange. it works like a light foundation and my skin looks improved when im wearing it. however, it causes terrible irritation on my cheeks. i dont pick my cheeks, but every time i use this stuff i end up with little scabs/grazes on my face that dont heal. once i give my face a break from the sunscreen for a week or so everything heals okay (i do have some scarring on my cheeks that have always been clear up until now :( ) and as soon as i start with the sunscreen again, more grazes/scabs develop.
i am waiting to try ellaroseminerals foundations from etsy as they contain sunscreen ingredients and claim their products are non comedogenic, so im hoping their products work for me, because this doesnt sadly.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2010 6:31:00 PM More reviews by DanaCerise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product changed my life! I was very skeptical of the idea of a powder sunscreen. This provides great SPF protection (its SPF 30 protection is TESTED, and it's recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation). And it contains a physical sunscreen (no chemical ones), which was my primary reason for trying it. I've put this over my bare moisturized face and over makeup. It's great to be able to reapply a sunscreen over makeup throughout the day as you need it. I use this on my neck and chest as well. I've applied it over mineral makeup and liquid, and it looks great. I'm fair, so I have it in Translucent. It also comes in Tanned, which might be good for medium to darker skins. Don't give up on this because of the container. It's very hard to tell if the powder is on your face without putting on a ton. (Because the powder is so fine. Here's what I did: I applied it over a dark piece of paper, and sure enough I could see the powder coming out. It can create a tiny cloud of vapor when you open the container, but that's not a big deal to me. It's not like I'm inhaling this stuff. It's definitely worth trying.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/6/2010 9:03:00 PM More reviews by purblu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Returned it. I love the powder mineral SPF concept, was excited to try Jane Iredales version, but it's the packaging/applicator. It was impossible to get the powder through the sponge, had to remove it to see if it was clogged - it wasn't. I prefer the brush application like some of the other brands have. Sad, especially since this is one of the few powder SPFs approved by the Skin Cancer Foundation (which is why I gave it an extra star).