September 22, 2014 | 1816 users online

Moisturizers - A'kin - Unscented 24 Hour Pure Moisture

rated 3 of 5 on 9/15/2012 11:28:00 PM More reviews by Alicetangerine

My friend recommended Rose & Geranium Pure Creamy Cleanser & Toner in One to me and this moituriser came in as a freebie.

I have combination skin which tends to be oily especially at the T-Zone. I have no prob by using this moisturiser at night time together with the rosehip oil, and when i wake up the next day, my skin looks well-hydrated. But when i apply it in the morning without the rosehip oil, my face (esp T-zone) gets really oily in the afternoon. I have to wipe my t-zone with alot of blot papers.

I'm not sure is it because of the shea butter? I'll try to avoid around my t-zone next time.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/23/2011 10:36:00 AM More reviews by juli086

i have used this product a couple of times and it caused me to have a flare up of ezcema and my skin was red and dry and stinging. my face was even stinging when i only used water on my face. it also has a strange texture. my skin was not even very senstive. i have also had a reaction to a few other a'kin products. i would be careful if you have sensitive or ezcema prone skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/16/2011 6:43:00 PM More reviews by fergusnoodle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have reasonably sensitive skin but I have never had a problem with any other moisturiser like I have had with this one! I used it for about two months and gradually I developed all these red blotches on my face as well as dry patches. My skin became extremely painful. Eventually I had to rush out and buy Avene Tolerance Extreme Cream to fix the problem. I mentioned my problem on Twitter and a friend had a similar experience with an A'kin product. I won't be buying any A'kin products in the future.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2011 8:31:00 PM More reviews by misschristie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm the fence about this one. I have extremely sensitive skin: I've had perioral dermatitis on-and-off for the past four years, my skin is deathly dry all over, but I'm prone to break outs and clogging when I use the wrong product. Right now my HG moisturizer is from the Lavera neutral line--it helps calm my POD, it moisturizes, and it does not clog. But I wanted something to give my dry skin a little boost: a plumped, healthy, hydrated look. So I got a sample of this A'kin moisturizer. I was initially wowed! It did what Lavera's neutral facial fluid did, but it made my skin look more hydrated, plumper and dewier. Love love loved it! So I bought the tub. Using it at least once a day (either night or day) however I've run into problems. I got periorbital dermatitis around my eyes, I was getting plugs/blackheads on my checks, and I got some millia around my eyes which wouldn't dissipate so had to get them extracted. Also when I worked out, though my skin look soooo amazing with this on, I could feel that the sweat couldn't get through the occlusive barrier. Very weird feeling after using lighter, breathable moisturizers all my life.

There's jojoba oil in this. It acts as an occlusive, and for people with pore clogging problems (or even overproduction of skin cell problem like seborrheic dermatitis, or a perioral dermatitis like mine which behaves like an overproduction of skin cells and sebum), this will not work.

Sadly I think the very thing that my skin reacts negatively to--the jojoba oil--is the ingredient responsible for the extra hydrated look. If you don't have these types of skin problems, this organic extra-hydrating moisturizer will give you dreamy, youthful skin.

Will keep trying it out to see if my skin will ever make peace with this.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2009 3:11:00 PM More reviews by mjaashley

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't know why this has such a bad rating, I actually really like the product. It really helped to calm down my sensitive, redness prone skin and it seems to help prevent breakouts (hormonal) too. The 2nd ingredient after aqua is panthenol (pro-vitamin B5) and there are lots of reviews out there that this helps with acne. Mostly it is recommended to take tablets, which I tried for a while during quite a bad outbreak phase, and while it seemed to help, I don't really like to take it in the required high doses over a longer period. In one of the main studies re B5, it was also applied topically, which is the reason why I searched for a topical B5 cream. This is the only one I could find, apart from Bepanthen (which is very good, but also very fatty and not appropriate as a face cream for combo skin - it's a diaper and wound cream). I did not buy the a'kin 24 hour cream for a year due to the bad reviews here (which are usually quite reliable), but I really regret not having bought it earlier now.
That being said, it might be too light for dry/very dry skin. Personally, it suits me perfectly in summer, and while it is, mixed with a serum, still fine in winter , I prefer a more protective cream in winter (Neal's Yard Frankincense Hydrating Cream, which doesn't break me out, and frankincense is actually quite antibacterial and good for acne conditions).

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2009 10:28:00 PM More reviews by SkekTek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have sensitive, problem skin and I LOVE this product. My only gripe, as with other reviewers, is the packaging! I took off a lippie for it. My skin is so sensitive I'm very mindful of bacteria and I just don't like dipping my fingers into a tub full of moist cream. If they provided this in a pump bottle I'd buy it again and again. That said, it is a really nice product and saves my skin in winter when it gets too dry for lotions.

BTW A'kin now have a lotion in a pump container, it's got green tea and caffeine in it I think...? I may give that a try :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2009 4:49:00 PM More reviews by Sophaholic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I actually really liked this product. I had very dry skin after pregnancy and this combined with the A'kin facial scrub has completely solved it. My bumpy, flaky, ultra-sensitive skin is now baby-soft and smooth.
Totally agree with the other reviews about the packaging, I would much prefer a pump or tube, especially as it's a natural product so isn't laden with preservatives and it certainly isn't cheap, but bar any future problems, this is now my HG moisturiser.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2008 1:07:00 AM More reviews by Nina_82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this when I was having problems with my skin reacting to other products. It certainly hasn't caused any adverse reactions, so I would recommend trying it if you have very sensitive skin.

Other than that, it doesn't really seem to do much for my skin, I don't feel like it is really absorbed well. I really have to rub it in or it leaves a white cast on my face. Also, as the previous reviewer has mentioned, it would be much more hygenic in a tube. It's not particularly thick, so there's no reason that it has to be in a tub.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2008 8:55:00 PM More reviews by kimorris

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I like the A'kin range as it's natural, doesn't have harmful chemicals in it, and it's relatively affordable. Unfortunately, as I didn't like any of their other moisturisers as they were so heavily, cloyingly scented, I had to go with this one. The lack of scent was good but the cream - which has a gel-like look and consistency - just wasn't moisturising enough for my dry skin. Most of the A'kin moisturisers are in tubs which is quite unhygienic and off-putting. If A'kin could remove the scents from all their facial products and change the packaging to tubes/pump dispensers, then I would definitely go back to using them.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2008 11:50:00 PM More reviews by bobsy

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Pros: natural ingredients, allegedly made for sensitive, allergy prone and fragile skin
Cons: not actually unscented hence irritating for skin-types that don't tolerate fragrance, expensive, jar packaging.

I'm always on the lookout for nice unscented moisturisers. Given this has the word 'unscented' as part of the title I was excited to try it. But as for unscented - what nonsense. See the West Australian sandalwood oil in the ingredients? I was worried about that so I specifically asked if that gave the product a scent at all before purchasing (I couldn't access a tester). Oh no, I was told, the ingredients in there are only chosen for their moisturising properties. Anyone with a working nose can smell that this is not an unscented product. It smells like something from Jurlique. I have to say I was terribly disappointed about this. I can't comment on its performance because I had to remove it immediately due to the scent, but I've heard good things about it.

Ingredients:
Aqua (purified Australian water*), panthenol (pro Vit B5), hydrogenated lecithin (and) C12-16 alcohols (and) palmitic acid, glycerin (botanical source), sorbitol (from GMO free maize), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil (cold pressed Australian grown), sucrose stearate (from sugar beet & palm), mannitol (and) ammonium glycyrrhizate (and) caffeine (and) zinc gluconate (and) aesculus hippocastanum (horse chestnut) extract, persia gratissima (avocado) oil unsaponifiables, tocopheryl acetate (Vit E) (botanical source), squalane (from olives), bisabolol (botanical source), echium plantagineum (vipers bugloss) seed oil, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, phenoxyethanol (and) ethylhexylglycerin, xanthan gum, glyceryl laurate (botanical source), sodium gluconate (from GMO free corn), butyrospermum parkii (certified organic shea butter), alpha lipoic acid, citric acid (botanical source), lecithin (and) tocopherol (and) ascorbyl palmitate (and) hydrogenated palm glycerides citrate, persia gratissima (avocado) oil (certified organic cold pressed Australian grown), ***fusanus spicatus wood (West Australian sandalwood) oil***, caprylic/capric triglyceride (from coconut & palm) (and) carotenoids (from marine algae), chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract. *BP 2000 standard.