November 28, 2014 | 1678 users online

Treatments - Nailtek - Step One

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2011 3:28:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

This is a nail prep product. Its purpose is to remove oils on nails so that the base coat adheres well. The brush has short bristles and gets the job done very quickly. A less expensive nail prep is isopropyl alcohol applied lighty to each nail with a Q-Tip.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2008 4:38:00 AM More reviews by jawbreaker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This did not feel well on my nails. I gave it a few days but could not continue. I don't know why but something about it doesn't work for me...and the same is with OPI Nail Envy. (Nailtiques Formula #2 is great for me though).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2008 2:36:00 PM More reviews by ceeRennycee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I found this on clearance and because I've had such great luck with other Nailtek products I decided to give this one a whirl. The box description says it's supposed to "clean, prime and reinforce" your nails for a manicure. It also says that "the multi-fruit alpha-hydroxy acid complex cleanses and primes the nail plate while reinforcing nail strength. Prevents polish chipping and peeling..."

The bottle looks like the standard round Nailtek bottles but the formula is almost like water and the brush is very small and stiff. I brush it over my nails, being careful to avoid my skin and cuticles. It soaks in almost immediately. I do a second coat on one nail that is very thin and peely then apply Nailtek Ridgefiller, color, etc.

I've been using this for about 2 or 3 weeks now and I think I actually do see a difference. I had one nail that was pretty thin and week and if I'd have bent it at all I could have easily peeled it in several places and broken it right off. Since using this treatment the layers of that nail seem to be more bonded and not nearly as flimsy as they were. When I have my nails painted with ridgefiller and color they always seem pretty strong, but even with no polish they seem to be pretty sturdy, so maybe this is actually helping. It does makes me wonder if it is "fortifying" my nails at all because the formula smells like rubbing alcohol and disappears almost as soon as I put it on, which makes me think it's actually drying out my nails. But it's working so who knows? (By the way, the first two ingredients listed are indeed alcohol.)

I don't know...I'm not sure I'm completely sold on this but it does seem to be helping so I guess for now I'll continue to use it and decide whether to rebuy when this bottle is gone. I'll come back and update if my feelings change one way or the other. It does do a great job of getting rid of any extra oil that might be on my nails. I always scrub my hands really well after removing my old polish and if I use an antibacterial soap, there's sometimes a residue left behind. This seems to get rid of that and therefore helps the polish really adhere to my nail.