September 21, 2014 | 2023 users online

Eye Shadow - NARS - Portobello Duo

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2014 12:54:00 PM More reviews by PreciousCharmer17

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

If you like cool toned eyeshadows then you might really like these colors because they are not warm at all. The pictures shown are very inadequate. The colors are cool toned browns. When applied to my skin tone (MAC NC25-30) they appear gray and that is never a good color. It looks very dirty and makes my eyes look even more tired. This was a return for me. I looked online and tried to see the most accurate pictures out there but hence I was dooped and bought them thinking they were very nice warm neutral browns. They arrived in the mail and to my distaste they were ugly cool browns that look gray. Yuck.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2014 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Taylorm3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have to admit being a little disappointed when I opened this palette. Could two colors being more boring? They kind of look like putty. However, I was trying to be open minded so I put it on anyway and voile, I liked it. The shadows really did enhance my eyes in a subtle natural way. I have a long standing love affair with black eyeliner and this appears to be the perfect marriage. Add a serious lip color like MAC's Twig and you have a very nice work look. Strong but beautiful.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2013 11:24:00 AM More reviews by shamelessme

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love love love this duo!
It is literally perfect for work and for a daytime neutral look. I alternate between the portobello duo and the bellissima duo during the day because they're both so stunning. Both the colours in the portobello duo have a matte finish, so the result is very flattering on people of all ages and it is suitable for all occasions. For me it's a holy grail product, because I require a shade of eyeshadow dark enough to be noticeable but neutral enough to be worn daily. This eyeshadow incorporates all of my wants. I apply the lighter shade all over my lid and up to my browbone, and then apply the darker shade in the outer corner of my eye and in my crease area. It compliments all eye colours and looks fantastic on everybody I've seen wearing it. It lasts all day when an eye primer is used and does not fade in colour. Another pro of this duo is that I have never once experienced any fallout, making it the perfect eyeshadow to apply when you're in a rush. I will repurchase portobello and recommend it to anybody thinking about buying it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2013 11:05:00 AM More reviews by misspeke

Love this duo, I use it everyday for the office. Simple and effective. I use the light shade on the lid and darker in the crease or out v, if I wanted a more defined look I use a dark navy in the outer v. Will definitely repurchase again

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2012 2:16:00 AM More reviews by michkal

I was given this duo for free for some reason with another purchase at the nars counter. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time, thinking that the shades were too light and too warm. I recently dug this duo out, and I am loving it. The colors are darker on than they look in the pan, but they are still natural. They are very pigmented, apply smoothly, and blend easily. The colors are similar to each other, but still look good together. I usually wear the lighter shade on the lid and the darker in the crease. The shades are great for shaping the eyes without an obvious made up look. They crease on me a bit, but most shadows do. I haven't tried them over a primer yet. This duo is a great choice for a natural, not too warm and not too cool, matte look. Although they look plain, they stand out against other beiges/browns/tapes that I own. I am an nc20-25 for reference.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2012 10:17:00 AM More reviews by bootmunchie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If you love a clean matte look that you can pair with a black eyeliner = winner winner chicken dinner on this one. This is also what JennaMarbles wears in a lot of her videos and for a daytime look.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/14/2012 3:49:00 PM More reviews by Zandra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Well, I love/not love this eyeshadow duo. NARS makes a great product. The Potobello duo is quite matte and highly pigminted at the same time. It's a great daytime shadow but for the price, I could have gone a little less expensive for the result. I probably won't repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2012 2:13:00 PM More reviews by fuudandbits

I'm a sucker for any eyeshadow thats neutral, brown, grey toned. I picked this up on a whim and can't be happier than ever. I've been using it almost everyday for the last 6 months. It looks sad and boring in the pan but works amazingly well for an everyday neutral look and to define the eyes. Very pigmented and buttery.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2012 3:08:00 AM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a great duo if you love neutrals (or have blue eyes). As is true of some NARS duos, it looks pretty lackluster in the pan--boring beige and boring brown. But on the eyes, the shades are magic, alone or together. Neither shade is too pink or yellow. They are matte, well pigmented, creamy in texture, and easy to apply. Portobello also plays well with other NARS duos, particularly All About Eve--the shimmer adds dimension if you're not in a totally matte mood. And Madrague is another winner--the cream shade works wonderfull well with either shadow in this duo. I understand that Portobello is not to everyone's taste, but if you're looking for neutral matte shadows that will produce a subtle, sophisticated eye, look no further.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2011 4:43:00 AM More reviews by cecilija

I was always looking for something that would go well with red matte lips that I love...and after years of searching- I can say that, ladies, my quest is over!

This is absolutely perfect color combination to go with red lipstick - I adore that they are matte, obviously neutral, but yet giving just enough warmth and interest to the eye area so that you don't get the dreaded "screaming mouth, invisible eye" effect.

Before I got Portobello, when I was going for red lip I was trying tons of other "neutral" eye shadows, but it never was just right. Some neutrals would turn out to have odd undertones that would actually introduce some other color to the face, which looked wrong with "Fire" by Chanel on lips. Others would always have some sheen to them - and that does not look very sophisticated either. At the end, I would most frequently settle for not using any eyeshadow at all, just powder, but that was not an ideal solution, because the rest of the face would get overpowered by the lips.

This is just right. Perfect. I am so happy I gave it a chance!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No