October 20, 2014 | 993 users online

Deodorants - Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 6/12/2013 2:48:00 AM More reviews by hellok1tty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have been using the Arm & Hammer Ultra Max with great success, but I wanted something more natural so I bought this for $1 at Kroger. I hate this stuff! It's slimy, it takes forever to dry, and I stink like I never put anything on about an hour after applying it. I hate to waste it, but I really can't use it so I think I might just toss it and keep using the Ultra Max for now.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/26/2013 4:04:00 AM More reviews by anmllvr234

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

contains triclosan..... not natural.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2012 3:20:00 PM More reviews by snoopy68

I have been using A&H Essentials Natural Deodorant for years, as it is the only deodorant on the market that I've been able to find that does not allow me to smell of BO after a couple of hours. Even in hot, humid, sweltering weather. It's dirt cheap and easy to locate...I wish I could, however, find a natural deodorant that is effective from a company that doesn't perform animal testing. I also don't like the fact that this has triclosan and propylene glycol in it, but until I can actually find something that works and does not leaving me smelling like BO, I'm stuck with it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2012 10:18:00 AM More reviews by heathermrm

If I have a skin irritation under my arms (which happens occasionally), my HG (Crystal roll-on) seems to further irritate, so I grab this and use for a few days. It works relatively well for me (as in I can get 8 hours w/ no smell/stink vs my Crystal which gives me 24 hours of no smell/stink), so I'm not as confident as when I wear the Crystal, but when I need a break from Crystal, this is the only other natural non-aluminium containing deo that does work for me.

I have gotten to a point in my life that I crave confidence so I won't re-purchase, but I will use up my 1 backup (I keep it in my gym bag) and the other is up for swap.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/18/2012 9:35:00 PM More reviews by lashandbrow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

RUN!

(but put ANOTHER brand of deodorant on before you do or you will smell your mother in law)

But really. I've been experimenting with natural deodorants for 8 months now.

Here is THE ONLY THING I FOUND THAT WORKS.

1) Wash with soap
2) Put apple cider vinegar on a cotton pad and swipe both armpits. Let dry.
Rationale: ACV is antibacterial -- and bacteria is the reason why your pits are stinky
3) Spritz on magnesium oil. (I use cardiovascular health brand - can be found at any vitamin shoppe)
Rationale: Body odor can be linked to magnesium deficiency.
4) Dot on essential oil of your choice.
Rationale: So you can smell pretty AND non-synthetic.

This WORKS wonders. I live in a place where it is 95 degrees outside 11 months of the year and let me tell you. ---what I did above got rid of any odor. The key is magnesium - if you are interested here is an article where I got the information to try from: http://www.cheeseslave.com/how-i-quit-using-deodorant-with-magnesium/

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2011 11:04:00 PM More reviews by sienna2125

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my 1st try at a more natural deodorant. I love this. The unscented actually has a nice citrus sent. It keeps b.o in check w/ 1 application a day. If this kept me drier this would be a HG.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2011 2:32:00 PM More reviews by sopranowriter

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

For years, I have used one of those crystal stone natural deodorants, which works fairly well most of the time. However, during the summer I really need something a little stronger when it gets really hot, and so I tried Tom's of Maine and Kiss My Face stick deodorants, as I was hoping to stay with an aluminum-free formula. The results were not encouraging (in other words, STINKY), and I was prepared to have to sacrifice an aluminum-free formula for greater strength. But, it looks as though I won't have to! I got the unscented stick variety of this product-it DOES have a slight, sort of citrusy scent that I don't find irritating-it isn't heavy at all and won't be noticeable a minute or two after you have applied the product. The best part of it is-neither will your stenchies!! I have worn this for a couple of very hot and humid days, during which I was mowing the lawn, doing heavy housework, etc. and not once have I noticed any B.O. (yes, I checked). It isn't an antiperspirant, so it doesn't keep you from sweating, but it will keep you from reeking to the moon when you do. I have applied it right after showering and shaving, and have not found it to be at all irritating to my underarms either. Aluminum and paraben free, though it does contain propylene glycol and triclosan so it isn't really what I would call a completely "natural" product, but still a great alternative to the crystal stone for those of us who need a little more help, but still prefer to keep it as chemical free as possible. I don't remember exactly how expensive this was, but I don't recall it being overly pricey-you can find it at supermarkets, drugstores, etc. I will definetly buy this product again, especially in hot weather. It's a keeper!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/11/2011 11:33:00 PM More reviews by annang

this product works better than toms for a natural deodorant but it only really works for a few hours a day, without any physical activity. this needs to be reapplied otherwise i do start to notice low odor in the middle of the day. its not something anyone else would notice but i definitely can tell at the end of the day when changing out of my clothes. i have not been able to find a natural deodorant that performs remotely close to ones that contain aluminum. i am trying the crystal roll on now and hope for better results.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2011 4:55:00 AM More reviews by SockRocker

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have sensitive skin and the main reason I switched to natural deodorant, aside from the fact that regular deodorant is truly terrible for your body, was because my underarms were getting red chemical burns from all the crap in regular deodorants. Not good. I tried quite a few; Tom's roller, the crystal rock one, a few others as well. None worked as well as this one. And after a few months of using this, the red burn marks that were left from the normal deodorants were gone.
In the mornings I put this on after getting out of the shower. Around the beginning of the evening, 4 or 5, my underarms start to smell a little off. So I usually have to apply this twice a day. Not the most convenient thing ever, but it is a natural deodorant that works very well. It also lasts forever. I have been using the same stick for at least five or six months.
The only downfall for natural deodorants for me, is the fact that I do sweat a lot under my arms. In the summers especially, my underarms feel disgustingly sweaty and I'm afraid to lift my arms. I am stuck wearing black a lot while using this deodorant because while it does stop the smell, it doesn't stop the sweat (no duh it's natural and doesn't contain antiperspirant.) I've been considering using Secrets clinical strength for sensitive skin, but I'm a bit frightened.
I'll be sticking with this for awhile.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2011 10:23:00 PM More reviews by ashleydutta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Meh. it's ok. actually it's the best non-aluminum natural deodorant I have found, but that's not saying much. I still get stinky with this relatively quickly if I am doing any excercise or wearing a sweater or something. That said, it keeps me from stinking more than any natural deodorant so far...but that's just not good enough for me. I do NOT want to smell, or have to be paranoid about others around me smelling me. Until I find a natural deodorant that makes me confident I am not smelling and won't smell for the whole work-day, I will have to use those bad old aluminum antiperspirants.
That said, if you are bound and determined to use only aluminum free - this may work for you - try it. You will probably have to keep a stick in your purse and definitely in your gym bag, in case you need to reapply. The reason this works better than others, I think, is the combination of baking soda and triclosan. A good combination...but overusing triclosan is bad too, as bacteria become immune to it so it won't work forever...(that's my theory anyway).