April 17, 2014 | 1693 users online

Eye Shadow - TheBalm - Just This Once Jamie

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 7/21/2012 5:14:00 AM More reviews by erdeva

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The quality of this is really amazing. It turns very powdery when swiping a brush over the top. The colour is a beautiful taupe-ish colour and really suits my skin tone. It is amazing for neutral eyes

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 3:10:00 PM More reviews by Yrie

This is an absolutely lovely eyeshadow, worth the higher price.
The texture is so buttery and it blends like a dream. It is nicely pigmented and there is no fall-out. Very easy to work with.
I love using this on top of different bases, it brings out the different nuances of the colour nicely. I found this to be quite a close dupe for MAC Shale, an intesrting taupey purple.
The packaging is cute and compact. It has a metallic closure, which is very secure, on the one side, but on the other it can make it hard to open sometimes.
I highly recommend the TheBalm eyeshadows and this one in particular, would definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2012 8:39:00 AM More reviews by Anda

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Color and Formula:
This is quite a nice and unique shade (a soft, smoky, medium mauve-taupe) but I don't find myself reaching for it much, mostly because of the formula.
It is so soft that it feels and goes on like a loose powder shadow, and fades and blends out the same way. (If you try to buff or blend a bit more, the color will dust off and become really sheer.)
A good primer is a must in order for it to adhere to your skin.

Also, use a light hand as a lot more will come off on your finger or brush than you intend. Recommended if you like the soft crumbly texture of Stila shadows.
---
Price-wise, it's not cheap.
Of course, it's bigger than a MAC shadow, but then it's so soft that you always end up using more of it unintentionally.
---
Conclusion:
I will probably stick to MAC Shale for a grey-plum shadow, as it goes on more dimensional and allows more control and build up than this shadow.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2011 8:34:00 PM More reviews by CarolynKeene

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

PROS: Color, finish, packaging, pigmentation, blendability, wear time, value.
CONS: I wish this wasn't quite so soft. I inevitably pick up more product than I need and have to tap my brush. But the softness does give it a gorgeous, creamy feel.
THE DEETS: I'd describe the color as a mid-tone, multidimensional mix of brown, gray and purple. Lilac-y brown? Taupe-y rose? I can easily wear this solo without any other eyeshadow and my eye makeup still looks finished. (NW15 for reference.) The finish is shimmery, but it's a very wearable shimmer. I always wear e/s over primer, but I was in such a hurry one day, I slapped this on primer-less. Eight hours later, I was shocked to see that there was just the tiniest hint of creasing, which never happens with other brands (UD, Smashbox, Nars). I also own Luscious Lani from theBalm, and it performs just as beautifully as Jamie.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2010 7:56:00 PM More reviews by Embeth3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Well, I won't be buying this, Just This Once... I'll buy it again and again and again...!!!!
I think this colour is really unique - to me it is a soft rosy lavender pink, with gentle brown undertones. Not quite what I'd define as a neutral shade but I think it would certainly suit a wide range of skin tones. It reminds me a bit of Estee Lauder Pale Moon e/s but a bit more intense, slightly more taupe and more shimmery.
Looks fabulous with plums, purples, grey & silver, deep greens, navy blue and brown.
If you have the Shady Lady Vol. 2 palette, this looks fab on the lid, with Insane Jane on the outer third/corner and Feisty Felicia blended into the crease.
I have about 150 different e/s and I cannot think of one that is so pretty and yet so versatile. This is definitely HG status for me.
EDIT: MAC Shale is a pretty close dupe, maybe slightly deeper in tone. I like the texture of Just This Once Jamie better though, plus it is more than twice the size!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2009 3:13:00 AM More reviews by soleil_kitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I had never heard of the brand "The Balm" before yesterday when I was at my favourite perfumery and found all these amazingly designed, cute products. Package-wise they're very close to Benefit. They also have similar, cute names. A powder called "Sexy Mama" and powder blushes that quote "so many men, so little time" on the lid. Haha! Yeah, I'm simple, I love such stuff. Anyway, I bought two things yesterday: One e/s and one lip plumping gloss. The e/s I went for is a very natural, light brown with very soft shimmer. Perfect for the nude look I am currently in love with. The e/s is highly pigmented, extremely easy to apply and blend and leaves a soft, airbrushed, natural finish. The shimmer is almost not visible, so if you're looking for super shimmer you'd be disappointed. I'd compare this e/s to Clinique's "Porto Bella". There are a lot more colours available (a Dianne Brill "Venetian Lace" dupe, for example) and the prices are around MAC's and Benefit's. So they're not exactly cheap but not pricey like Chanel or Dior. The quality really speaks for itself and I am very much in love with this. The e/s made me crave for at least one blush and the above mentioned translucent powder. I give this all five lippies and yes, I would certainly buy again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2009 11:03:00 PM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

One of my favorite nude shadows! On me Just This Once Jamie is a soft beige with a lilac undertone and subtle shimmer. It's very subdued and nearly natural looking on my NW20 skin. I like to use it on days when I'm in too big of a hurry to do much with my makeup but still want to look pretty and polished! The quality of this eye shadow is also top notch: very soft, pigmented and blendable. It's a great shadow and I find myself reaching for it a lot.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2008 11:42:00 PM More reviews by xcessa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Another awesome shadow from TheBalm. For the size and quality, the price is very reasonable. The texture is verrrrry soft and pigmented. Be sure to tap your brush to rid of excess powder before applying.
The colour is a medium toned cool plum with a hint of shimmer. It looks perfect as a crease colour for a daytime look, but it's also gorgeous smudged over black liner for nighttime. Sometimes these cool purpley colours can look grey on me but this one isn't. I'd say it is neutral - not warm or very cool.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2008 11:21:00 AM More reviews by kimberpoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a high quality line, but not one you hear about very often, imo. I like this shadow a lot. It is great quality....good pigment and opaque enough without being chalky or fake looking. A nice, natural shadow. In the box, it looks much darker than it actually turns out to be. rather than a ton of popped color, this shadow gives your lids a 'shadowed' appearance....like as if you were standing under a tree on a sunny day. it is cool.....I pair it with lucious lani shadow and nude MAC pigment for a nice shady daytime look. I also smear a bit of this over my dark eyeliner to soften the line a bit. I put that I would buy this again, but the pan is so big I doubt I will ever use it up! It comes in a cute hard cardboard case with a little mirror inside. Very cute...I love thebalm's advertising with the "old-school" pinup girls! the shadow is portable, but I wouldn't carry it in my purse (asking for an accident!) but it does just fine in my makeup bag. Overall, if you like dusty-grey-light-purple shades, or just want to add a bit of 'shadowing' to another color, I would recommend this e/s.

p.s. I did leave off one lippy because the color is not quite true to the color it shows in the pan, I was hoping for more pigment, although I should've tried before I bought :) luckily, I did end up liking it!