Naturtint Permanent Hair Colorant

3.5

on 6/21/2015 9:00:00 PM

I really wanted to love this product, but didn't, so sad! As someone who always colors her own hair, and often (every 2-3 weeks), and tries to avoid chemicals as much as possible, I really wanted to use a more natural product (and why I gave it a 3 instead of 2).

Pros: I love the safer ingredients. There were no fumes, and no eye irritation. It's easy to use, and does cover my resistant grey -- I let it process for 35-40 minutes. Since others have said that the colors (especially browns) do run dark, I used a dark blonde (6N) on my medium to dark brown hair to get a color I like.

Cons: This stuff really dries out my hair, as other reviewers have said, and my hair tends to be dry. After rinsing it out the first time (I did use the shampoo they provided), I was a bit scared because my hair really felt like straw. Luckily my hair was turned back into, well hair, after using the deep conditioner (Nutrideep Multiplier) provided in the package. By the way, that stuff is great, and I will order it since they sell it separately. The color does take a while to rinse out, but not that much longer than other color I have used, and I do slather it on the cover greys. After coloring my scalp burned a bit for a day or two. And, the biggest problem of all my hair was dry and a bit frizzy. I have used the color a few times, and found the problem only getting worse. If I deep condition a lot my hair feels better. The color does fade more than Ion, but since I color so often that wasn't a big problem for me.

Also, this product is more expensive than the Sally Beauty Ion color I was using. The best price I've found was through Super Supplements for over $11 a package, and have seen it for over $14. I have a lot of thick hair, and really need 2-3 packages to have enough to cover. They don't really give you that much product. I was pouring the product into larger plastic color bottles and mixing in those and applying for easy application. The bottles they give you are small, and don't have a very long spout, so using it directly out of those is probably harder to do. This color is only available in liquid, and I prefer cream because I find it easier to apply and doesn't really drip.

Hopefully, they will improve this line or there will be other natural dyes that cover grey and don't damage hair. Until then, I'm going to go back to using Sally Beauty Ion Creme Color. Even though their line has more chemicals does give off fumes when using, it leaves my hair smooth, shiny, and soft.

on 6/13/2015 12:01:00 AM

Horrible! This is hands down, the worst hair color I've ever used...and that's saying a lot. I decided to go "natural" and try to avoid all the harmful ingredients in most boxed colors. I'd heard this was gentle on hair, so I got Dark Blonde. What a disaster. First, this product left my hair feeling like shredded wheat...it was in good condition before the color. It was so damaged after coloring, I could hardly work the included conditioner through it. I followed the directions in the box to the letter. Secondly...the dark blonde turned my graying roots (i have light/medium brown hair) RED. I'm a pro at home haircolor....and I've never had a product mess my hair up as bad as this. I guess it goes to show natural ingredients can ruin your hair, too. Stay away from this stuff. Go with regular boxed color, or go to the salon.

on 3/28/2015 3:45:00 PM

I decided to purchase this product as it was advertised as natural . I have fine hair . I chose the wheat blonde . The smell was nauseating and it totally destroyed my hair ! My hair is dried out all over my head . I have never used a hair color that has damaged my hair to this extent .

on 10/9/2014 9:21:00 AM

I have a mousy brown color of hair. I wanted to add some highlights without paying salon prices. I bought a box of Clairol "caramel" colored high lights. It gave me uneven and blotchy pink, orange and yellow streaks. I was mortified. I had a box of Ash Blonde Nutritint that I had bought. I googled adding color to bleached hair and was further mortified by the process of adding color back to bleached hair. I decided to just give it a go and used the Nutritint Ash Blonde and left it on for 40 minutes. As it sat on my hair it turned violet, I thought worst case scenario it turns my hair grey (better than pink and orange!). It worked!! My hair was also feeling kind of slimy (damage from the bleach) and now it feels like hair again. I do think it is going to wash out and I will have to add another box - but that is fine, at least I don't have to go to the salon, embarassed and spend $120 on a color corrective process (that will further damage my hair).

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the conditioner in the pack. I see they sell it separately and plan to buy some.

on 9/6/2014 7:30:00 AM

My hair was lovely before I decided to use this tint. It said to go 2 colours more than the one desired. After 20 minutes with the tint in my hair I decided to remove it! As it was going orange! When i took it off, my hair was dry and orange, what a mistake! And I honestly don't believe that its "natural". Or made with natural ingredients.

on 3/23/2014 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I used Naturtint hair dye for over two years in 1N Ebony Black, and I can honestly say it is an amazing hair dye. For the colour to last longer and to not damage your hair it is absolutely necessary to use everything the kit comes with and follow the instructions. It leaves my hair healthy, soft and strong. I just recently decided to change to a dark brown colour and I used 4N Natural chestnut. I still love the dye even though I used the wrong colour (with this dye you can only lighten by two shades). Next I am planning to try 3N Dark Chestnut Brown. Overall, this is a great brand of hair dye that works really well when you follow the instructions of the kit.

on 3/8/2014 9:47:00 PM

I used this brand in Honey Blonde shade. What a mistake!! Ive tried many different brands of hair color over the years and never had such a problem as i did with this brand. It made my hair like straw, it was so bad even a deep conditioner from my hair stylist didn't help. I followed the instructions on the box, so i have no idea what happened or why some people have this problem and others say it leaves their hair nice and soft. My hair was in good condition before i used this. I loved this color, so it was sad that i had such damage, because what i ended up doing was buying a different brand of hair color and just re dying my hair. That helped get my hair in better shape. Imagine that, dying my hair a second time made it better then then this dye left it! I definitely do not recommend this dye, try tints of nature or herbatint for a natural dye.

I previously left a glowing review but I've decided I'm not so happy now with using Naturtint permanent colour. Despite the fantastic condition this dye leaves my hair in, the results are too unpredictable for those new to using this colour (colours run very dark), it's expensive at over £10 a box (I mix two shades to get my colour) and I find it too hard to get hold of. If I buy it online I have to pay extra and shops very rarely have the full shade selection. The very natural conditioner supplied with this dye is brilliant though and I have bought it separately (Nutrideep Multiplier) and will continue to use it with other box dyes to prolong the colour. The conditioner is HG for me. On a side note, Naturtint's semi permanent colour, Reflex is wonderful but similarly priced. However, I've managed to find the odd box cheaper on Ebay. My Reflex shade is Light Chestnut as, like the permanent variety, shades run dark. Reflex leaves the hair extremely glossy and the colour is rich and gradually fades over two to three weeks on me. Greys are blended in but not totally covered.

on 3/8/2013 12:57:00 PM

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand the laws of hair color, but you do need to have the basic knowledge. Hair color, as opposed to a bleach lightener, is limited in its capabilities. Most store bought, box color includes 20 volume developer which means it is only capable of 2 shades of lift or getting 2 shades lighter. Think of the shades of hair color like a totem pole. Black at the bottom or level 1, very light blonde at the top or level 10. If your natural color is a level 5, which is considered light brown and you want to be a level 9, light blonde, a store bought, box color will not give you the results you desire. The biggest misconception is thinking you will get what you see in the picture on the box. Not true! If you're looking for a shade that is more than two shades lighter than your natural color, you will NOT achieve that result with 20 volume developer. If a person with that level 5 natural color used a level 9 hair color, they would get an undesirable brassy result. It just wasn't capable of such a feat. Naturtint is a great product when used with realistic expectations. My advice to anyone that may find any of this information confusing would be to find a professional colorist for the best results. If Naturtint is the product you would like used on your hair, find a colorist that will choose and formulate a color for you. I do for all of my clients. Have a great HAIR day!!

on 2/7/2013 10:30:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I'm sitting here with wet hair dripping down my back, completely unable to bring myself to even look in the mirror.

I bought Naturatint 10A 'Light Ash Blonde' to try and correct some horrible brassy tones that had appeared in my hair. I wanted to go back to my natural colour and the box matched what my roots are, so I thought it'd be a good way to grow my hair out. I read good review after good review about how wonderful it was - no scent, no irritation and a wonderful result. I was hugely excited!

I followed the instructions and left it on my roots for 20 minutes and then applied it through the rest of my hair for 10 minutes. I washed it out and nearly screamed when I saw my reflection. My hair is BRIGHT YELLOW. There is no other word for it. Imagine the Mr Men characters and picture Mr Happy - that is what my hair is the colour of. And I am NOT happy. I honestly have no idea what to do apart from now wear hats and try and tone it.

I'm sure other colours are lovely, but the 10A has left me 10 poorer with brightly patchy hair to show for it. I would NOT recommend to anyone looking at that shade. :'(