September 2, 2014 | 1549 users online

Shampoo - Frederic Fekkai - Protein Rx Reparative Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2013 4:09:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Always read the label first on any Fekkai product to be sure you are not purchasing the one made through P&G. Their quality is lesser than the salon quality, I have made that mistake. Target I believe carries the P&G stuff.
I discovered a bottle of this wonderful shampoo at TJMaxx. It does carry a slight vanilla essence, but I'm a vanilla person, so I particularly love the smell. The shampoo is wonderful for processed hair. I used to double-process my hair which would leave it in horrendous condition. The only alternative was to keep it short. I started using this miracle shampoo and it really helped. Amazingly, you can comb through your hair without a conditioner, that's how reparative it is to your hair.
Since it helped repair my hair, I've gone on to a longer length, using oils and other shampoos, thanks to this shampoo helping originally. That's what started my hair back on its road to recovery.
You only need about a dime size, if that, depending on the length of your hair. It lathers beautifully and rinses squeaky clean. Leaves hair in a beautiful, healthy condition.
Now that my hair is absolutely healthy again, I use this shampoo every time I process my hair. It's a must for me and leaves my hair luxurious after coloring. Since I only use it once every 3-4 weeks, the smaller bottle lasts a year, so it's not really a big investment, but worth it to my locks.
If you process your hair, and you find it gets dry or has split ends, then this product is your saving grace.
You can find it at Ulta, but also check the label, at Fekkai dot com or salons for the authentic version. I can't stress that enough after comparing two Fekkai products made by P&G that were not the same quality. I won't waste my money on anything that has their name on it, only the real version.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2012 10:04:00 AM More reviews by bernsie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Even though this is not a sulfate free shampoo I have used it on colored, hi-lighted, bleached and generally stressed out hair. This shampoo really does seem to mend the damage. As a matter of fact there have been times when this restorative shampoo conditions the hair w/out an additional rinse out/leave in conditioner. That, to me is a sign of a very efficient product. It is loaded with high tech along with natural extracts/additives. It mixes the best of both worlds and so with an exacting formula. It lathers well with the least amount of product and rinses quickly leaving the hair clean, but not overly squeaky clean. Hair immediately after rinsing feels better, softer to the touch. Detangling is easy after this treatment shampoo. It never makes the hair feel overly softened and weighted down as some deep conditioning shampoos will do. Hair takes on a new texture which styles easier and with high shine. Highly recommended though excessively expensive. Smells great as well!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/3/2012 2:25:00 PM More reviews by orchidsky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I think the shampoo and conditioner work well. They were on par with others in the same price range. What I did not like is that the back of my neck started breaking out with cystic acne within days of beginning to use the product. This is not normal for me. Within a couple weeks, it was so severe that a lymph node in my neck swelled up. I was in denial for about a month and the final straw was when my regular hair stylist asked what bit me, assuming I had a spider bite on my neck. It's been a couple weeks since I've stopped using Protein Rx; I've had no new breakouts and my neck is almost entirely healed. I love Frederic Fekkai products and this one is worth a try, but if you notice breakouts, this is probably the culprit.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2011 6:51:00 PM More reviews by emodel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I`ve just gotten this shampoo after all the great reviews. I have been coloring my hair for over 10 years, and I got a perm years ago. My hair is baby fine to begin with, so all the processing made it weaker. For the last couple of months I got a professional haircolor at a beauty supply store and used a Vol 40 developer, that is the strongest for blonde hair, the next one up would be a bleach powder. So the Vol 40 is working well, BUT makes your hair very dry and a couple of chunks broke off! PANIC... This shampoo is incredible! After the very 1st wash with it, wow! Instantly helped my hair a great deal! I used my regular conditioner after (today I am buying the fekkai cond. too!), so I left my hair dry naturally with hardly any leave-in conditioner, and it was beautiful, a LOT stronger, healthier. I can`t believe it! The $25 is pretty steep, but if you have unhealthy hair, get this, it is incredible! :-) Smells very lovely vanilla, love it. Oh, and you only need a very little of it, my hair is breast lenght, fine, and all I need is a nickle (c5) size amount, so even though it is very expensive, it WORKS, and you need a very small amount, so it will last a long time!!! :-)))

rated 2 of 5 on 7/10/2010 10:04:00 AM More reviews by albinaalba

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I started using this product with great expectations, but it performed no better than any much cheaper "protein" shampoo. It made my wavy hair straight and wispy and the smell imho is very upleasant - a mixture of vanilla and ...sweat. I used it with the protein conditioner and without and the results are the same. I don't think it's worth the expence, although it is surely not a bad shampoo.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2010 10:06:00 PM More reviews by ml176

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

First, this smells so good! It's a delicious, warm vanilla. It's a reparative shampoo, and it actually feels luxurious in my hand. It doesn't create a huge lather, but it's enough to make me feel like I'm getting my head clean. I only used this every few days as a preventative measure to keeping my hair undamaged. I usually use some form of heat styling almost every day--either through a blow dryer, straightening iron, or hot rollers. I can definitely say I have very few split ends, and I must attribute some of my healthy hair to this Fekkai stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2010 7:22:00 PM More reviews by uskd022

I've always heard about how great Fekkai products were, but never tried them. Well after having duked it out with bleach and black hair over the past year, my hair has been left really damaged. I've tried every shampoo and conditioner with little luck. My hair always felt like straw after washing it and the conditioners never moisturized enough. I was using the Aveda damage remedy line with some luck, but my hair was still breaking and I was definitely not in love with the smell of the product. So when I came across the protein rx products in a kit with the shampoo, conditioner, and treatment mask at bath and body works I had to buy it. I was blown away first at how soft my hair felt after just shampooing--I could actually run my fingers through my hair with no knots or tangles and way less hair breakage. Even the Aveda shampoo did not leave my hair soft enough to run my hands through my hair after shampooing. Ive also been searching high and low for hair products that left a nice smell all day and these certainly did. And even though I'm usually more of a fruity scent person, I do love the warm vanilla smell these products have. So far I love all the protein rx products I've tried! At first I didn't like that Fekkai is owned by P&G but it seems that product quality was not sacrificed, and hopefully they don't ever change these products!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2010 1:04:00 AM More reviews by argolis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I started using an 8 oz bottle around the beginning of October and just recently finished it. The first wash or two left my hair feeling strange, slightly unpleasant, but I found myself reaching for the shampoo and conditioner every time I was in the shower, which is strange for me because normally I get very bored of routine very quickly. By Thanksgiving, my family was marveling over my hair. They had never seen it so thick and shiny. I have very few split ends, despite the hard water where I live.

To be fair... Around that time, I had also decided to cut down in how often I washed my hair to only two or three times a week, rather than once (or more!) every day. I also was using Kiehl's Moroccan Argan oil on the ends of my hair after showers. These changes undoubtedly contributed to the improvements I saw, but I still feel like Protein Rx shampoo and conditioner are my HG hair products.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2010 7:18:00 PM More reviews by earthakitt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I love this shampoo! I have been using it for four months and my hair has been changed since! I have very thin/fine hair and wash and blow dry everyday because it gets dirty if I skip washes. For years I have been using L'oreal/Pantene/Vo5 and for years I have been unhappy with my hair. I decided to invest in a more expensive brand because after a decade of having really short hair, I have decided to grow my hair out.. and there was no way I was going to have a long mane of dry limp and thin hair. If I'm growing my hair out.. I'm going to do this right!

I had always assumed that it was the conditioner that you use that was most important for hair and so because of the price of Fekkai I invested in just the Protein Rx conditioner and used it with my usual L'oreal shampoo. The results were.. no different and I started to regret spending 18 on a bottle of disappointment! But two weeks later I read in ELLE magazine that it was actually shampoo that is worth investing in, so I went out and got the Protein Rx shampoo. The results were instantaneous! I get a hair cut every three months because I usually get split ends a month after.. but since using this, my last hair cut was four months ago and there has not been a single sign of a split end.. This shampoo has made my hair stronger which actually makes my thin head of hair look thicker, bouncier and shinier! Well, it doesn't make my hair as shiny as I want it to (i.e heavily edited shiny hair adverts HAH) but there is always serum for that.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2009 8:56:00 AM More reviews by joy18

I have straightened, dyed, and highlighted waist length hair. It has been sadly abused due to almost daily backcombing and styling with curling and flat irons for the past two or three years. I bought this shampoo with the RX conditioner and after three uses my hair was more silky and manageable. However, after two months of use, I still have breakage and split ends. Combined with the price that's one lippie off in my opinion. Also halfway through it gets kind of hard to sqeeze the product out of the bottle. I'll probably buy it again though, at least until I can find something better. Bottom line, though this works great, it's not a miracle in a bottle. At least not for someone with hair as damaged as mine.