April 21, 2014 | 955 users online

Gels/Soaps - Burt's Bees - Naturally Nourishing Milk & Shea Butter Body Wash

rated 1 of 5 on 12/31/2012 10:50:00 AM More reviews by Missy20

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is runny. Has a very strong odor like a household cleaner. I will use it up but do not recommend buying it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2012 9:42:00 PM More reviews by Noboho

I'm officially sulfate-free for good. This product atleast has that going for it. Being that this body wash is sulfate free, I certainly wasn't expecting much in the way of lather. I appreciate how natural it is, but the scent is a tad off-putting. Upon first sniff it smells quite promising. Then, the natural shea butter scent morphs it from milky sweet to slightly rancid. It isn't atrocious, but it isn't a smell I can indulge in. I feel clean after I shower with this, so that's another positive. I wouldn't be adverse to repurchasing this at some point. There are simply too many other sls-free body washes in the sea, and I'm determined to try as many as possible.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2012 10:48:00 AM More reviews by mmmmary

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Well, I just tried this today for the first time, so I may need to update, but so far I'm in love! The scent is fabulous -- lovely summery coconut -- and I can still smell it on me a couple of hours later. I am very sensitive to smells and don't usually want to smell like my shower gel, but this is just plain making me happy:-) I know a lot of people are describing this as runny, but maybe it's all what you're used to. I thought this was actually THICKER than most shower gels! For reference, I've been most recently using the BB Fragrance-Free Baby Wash and before that L'Occitane Almond Oil. For the same reason probably I did not notice a lack of lather -- it's no different than what I've been using. I used it to shave my legs as well and felt very comfortable. Skin felt soft and moisturized when I got out of the shower. I probably wouldn't have even needed the Avocado Oil I applied afterwards. Seems like a winner to me!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2012 12:20:00 AM More reviews by carolLT

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I loved this product. i was looking for a body wash that wouldn't irratate my acne prone skin, and would nourish it during the cold winter months. Needless to say, this accomplished both goals. It made my skin super soft and my back and chest acne are almost gone completely revealing smooth skin. The only drawback is the smell, it takes some time getting used to but after a while its just okay. I am currently trying a different Burt's bee shower bar(honey and shea conditioning bar?) for the spring months and for a different smell. It is working just as well and smells better than this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2011 2:01:00 AM More reviews by stellahgreen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I was looking for an SLS free moisturizing wash and this one has been great for me. The fragrance reminds me a bit of coconut, which I like, and it lathers well enough for me. My skin is always really soft afterwards. It lathers pretty well in a jacuzzi tub. The best part is that it doesn't break out m y super sensitive skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/27/2011 1:59:00 AM More reviews by MUAMEANGIRL

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The smell sucks. The lather sucks. And it doesn't moisturize much, but also doesn't dry up my skin. I agree with most of the negative reviews. I use this a shave gel now, because I'm not that sensitive to scents. Another fail for Burt's Bees.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2011 2:37:00 PM More reviews by Saga17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I agree with some other reviewers here that this product is thin and runny for a body wash. I felt like it didn't clean well and it didn't lather (almost) at all. The scent wasn't that bad but it wasn't that good either. I didn't like the packaging. Needless to say, I won't be repurchasing this.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2011 6:32:00 PM More reviews by sunshine824

It's fun reading all the varied descriptions of the scent of this product. lol

Mine is: Milk, blood, and metal. Though blood and metal smell pretty similar...

I bought this and the Milk and Honey Lotion at the same time several months ago. I only used them a couple of times and they have been in my closet since then for the same reason:
The Scent.

They both smell horrible. This bodywash, as I stated earlier, smells like milk, blood, and metal. Though not in that order. It's more of a bloody, metallic smell with a little milky sweetness mixed in.

To make matters worse, this bodywash doesn't feel like it cleans me at all and leaves some sort of tacky residue on my skin. After my skin is dry it feels *more* dry than usual. When I tried using the Milk and Honey Lotion after this, I smelled horrible and my skin still didn't feel as smooth or moisturized as it does even with the cheapest drugstore lotions. I had to take another shower because the 2 scents one after the other made me feel sick.

Would not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2011 2:59:00 PM More reviews by Janay

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this product in an attempt to switch to SLS-free products. It indeed lathers a bit less and is not the same consistency as a SLS-containing body wash. But I expected that and have no complaints here.

The problem is that the fragrance is a cross between spoiled milk and shoe polish. I could not use it again. I found it interesting that the reviews here are divided between people who think it smells divine and those that think it has a sour, spoiled odor. Wonder whether some of us got product that was older than its expiration date or whether it was exposed to extreme tempratures during shipment or storage. Burt's Bees' website indicates that they cannot estimate expiration dates or stamp their products with expiraton dates due to the all-natural ingredients. But they explain what the manufacturing codes mean so one can determine when the product was made. My body wash was less than a year old, which should be OK according to Burt's Bees. But there is no way to know whether it was mishandled during shipment or storage, which could cause it to "spoil." I won't take the chance purchasing such a fragile product again unless I could be assured that it was handled correctly from the time it was manufactured until I put it in my shopping cart.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/9/2010 12:09:00 PM More reviews by kittenpiebrown

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I bought it because I thought the smell would go with the Milk & Honey Body Lotion, which it does... sort of, if it had a lingering smell. I guess it is moisturising but doesn't lather too well. I think I should have got the citrus body wash to make me leap out of the shower in the morning. It's a little pedantic but it annoys me that the bottles in the shop all had big dents in them, something to do with the air inside i guess. I feel like at the price it's at (above average for me) that a firmer bottle would have been better. Though maybe its something to do with being natural! Still, the lotion (which I LOVE) bottle doesn't do that.