April 21, 2014 | 1878 users online

Fragrances - Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Perfumes - Fleur de Comores

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2013 12:36:00 PM More reviews by airubgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I think this description is spot on "to evoke summer evenings and suntanned skin"; it's tropical with the wet greenery, ylang and jasmine but not suntan lotion, gourmand or artificial.

It opens with a dewy green note and the banana like scent that ylang can produce; sweet but fresh too. As the heart emerges the ylang is still present (but not banana like anymore) and a bitter note that I suspect is the black current develops; the jasmine and orange flowers come out, adding a fresh floral breeze while the vanilla adds a softness. The grande finale is when the vetiver and amber join in to complete this fragrance. While there is a sweetness to this fragrance it is never gourmand.

On me it is just fresh, and as another reviewer said, "natural and effortless". There is a lightness and yet a sophistication with the fragrance; it is definitely a grown up, but a playful one.

I would classify this as a skin scent. If you want a BIG scent this is not for you, as I love my fragrances quiet and natural this one is perfect.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2013 3:28:00 AM More reviews by Gother

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier being a bit like the Bond n° 9 of Europe (it makes a lot of new fragrances every year and all are very different) Fleur des Comores belongs to the L'Invitation au Voyage collection. The main idea behind this fragrance is to portray vanilla in a different twist, taking out the bakery accent and replacing it with some white flowers/green notes freshness with ylang-ylang and wild jasmine. It comes out as a "nocturnal flower" fragrance, at the same time evoking faraway windy and wild beaches (Comores, in case you wonder, is a group of islands in the Indian Ocean, between Madagascar and Moçambique. Like the nearby nations, Comores thrive on the cultivation of vanilla beans and ylang ylang, which explains why they chose such and exotic name).
The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Paul Millet Lage, who works exclusively for MPG and also created masterpieces Bahiana and Jardin du Nil. Fleur des Comores was launched in 1988.
My impressions are on the verge: it manages to smell fresh and natural for being a vanilla fragrance! I especially appreciate the breezey, almost salty note that tames the opulent white flowers. Also, I sense that the ingredients used are quality.

The top notes from the opening are fruity from blackcurrant and passion fruit and green from vetyver and unrecognizable herbs.It later develops into something deeper, as the white flowers start to unfold mingled by vanilla beans. Yet, the salty-airy quality never gives up and this prevents the vanilla from the candy effect and keeps the fragrance grown up and elegant.

Unfortunately, the lasting power is ridiculously short and also sillage is non existent, so I don't think I'd get full bottle of this.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2011 12:30:00 PM More reviews by tessture

Very middle of the road white flowers and vanilla. Not my thing.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2010 8:08:00 PM More reviews by Mac789

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Highly creative, covertly vanilla fragrance from the uneven house of Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier.

Fans of Dior Addict will recognize a passing glance in the top of Fleur de Comores' "leafy green" and baby powder notes. Powder, which I tend not to like, morphs into latex, and then latex to rubber, making for the same surprise kinkiness that permeates Piguet Visa.

FdC is a fruity-floral-vanillic fragrance that shares a passionfruit note with Fraiche Passiflore. In FdC, the note borders on banana when it ripens against a sweet jasmine, but returns to form towards the drydown.

Additional latex-like effect comes courtesy of tuberose; it feels at some point as if the tuberose is being stretched across the composition like a membrane. Eventually, this membrane snaps, revealing the vanillic drydown with its hints of smoky ambergris and retained pulpy fruit.

Although repeat mention has been made of the similarity to L'Artisan Vanilia (and indeed the perfumeur created Vanilia well before FdC), kinship to Shalimar's nursery vanilla cannot be denied.

FdC is vaguely tropical in floral elements, but the powder and rubber accords dissuade one from any further tropical association. I find relief from those notes in the ongoing passionfruit note, which adds a counterpart brightness to what otherwise might have been weighed down and occlusive.

It may be one of the more esoteric treatments of vanilla on the market, and it should be not be categorized as a "gourmand" vanilla scent. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2009 9:38:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Very tropical, very sweet, very *meh*...
It is not my style of perfume, for a start (I am more in to chic chypres or florientals), as it is huge and all the fruit and flowers are instantly migraine inducing to me.
However, the initial notes are quite interesting. It seemd to me - for just a few seconds!! similar to Neil Morris' Rainflower, that I love.
he notes reported in the pyramid (as below) are just a few, but this perfume is more complex.
I get an immediate huge jasmine and a banana (yes, but it could be the Ylang as well, that sometimes has a banana like feel).
Then I get a whiff of cognac, and a good one (no, i did not drink yesterday nor today, no hangover!!!).
So something spicy smokey. But it goes away immediately.
Then I get this generic huge artificial papaya /mango note that is identicial to the one (So nauseating!!!) you smell in those little pine disgusting car fresheners.
This is what you can smell form heart notes until the end, forever. Gagging.
How to ruin an otherwise could-have-been-great- fragrance.
A total scrubber, in the end....
_______________

top notes: wild Jasmine
heart notes Ylang Ylang, Solar Notes
Base notes: Vanilla

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2008 6:56:00 AM More reviews by 52pigtails

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm sorry, but I really don't know what to do with this one. Besides the fascinating name, this has nothing to do with perfume. I feel I couldn't stand it even if it was the smell of a bathroom detergent, or a car deodorant.
It's sharp and synthetic right from the very start, blatant and plastic. Any flower that's in it (passion flower? Banana? Jasmine?) is suffocated and made stale by the overwhelming smell of plastic vanilla, and that is all.
I couldn't imagine any woman wearing this: maybe a young girl trying to find her first fragrance and then changing it day to day, not knowing what to do with it. Exactly like I.
To all those of you who like it, I beg your pardon.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2008 8:56:00 PM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This fragrance pulls away from the pack in terms of its unique character; I haven't smelled anything like it yet anyway, and this is between 200 and 300 samplings for me. It is an adult tropical fragrance; also an adult vanilla. It has much more sophistication than most vanilla's.

It starts out with unoffensive green notes, lightly sweetened and even ok for this mostly green-note hater. The middle is gorgeously floral....just barely "tropical". I had to focus to get it, otherwise I was just thinking "what a gorgeous floral". I did not perceive any fruit until well into the heart (or was it the base), and that was when I became aware of the passionfruit. I had to go looking for it. Given that my skin usually does such nasty things to fruit notes, I have to hand it to them. Great job! I smell vanilla throughout the entire fragrance, top to bottom. It does not flit through its stages quickly. Absolutely *NO* banana was apparent to me at any point. Ugh....what a horror that would have been. I would love to own more of this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2007 6:36:00 AM More reviews by pennypencil

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

I find Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier fragrances a little overpriced, in context. Serge Lutens – pioneering, ground-breaking and poetic. Parfumerie Generale – acquiescent, well-blended, intriguing and creative. And then you have MPG’s brasher, louder, fruitier and synthetic fragrances that epitomise the nouveau riche. They’re quite ‘footballer’s wives’ if you ask me. Still, there are several I enjoy and this is one of them, even if the banana in it smells like babies’ nappies – an accord I’ve come to rather appreciate in a composition after discovering how prevalent it is.

This is a little like L’Artisan’s Vanilia, but L’Artisan would never have made this fragrance – it’s too loud and garish. Add powder and banana to Vanilia and you’re close to imagining how this smells. The criticism of the Vanilia is that it’s very fleeting – such a shame considering the beauty of it. So this would be a good alternative: Fleur de Comores goes on and on.

I would purchase this – it would be a bar scent for me. I’m sure its excellent sillage would procure compliments left, right and centre, especially from the gents. If I were to buy this it would serve the same purpose for me as MAC’s MV2 – a sweet, buttery and sillage-tastic ‘notice-me’ scent.

I probably wouldn’t pen a love song whilst wearing it.
continued >>

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/20/2006 11:18:00 AM More reviews by acentola

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Smells like a grown up vanilla with some interesting elements. I've 'grown out' of a lot of fragrances, not maturity-wise, but once i had my son I think it caused some sort of hormone shift and I can't pull off a fragrance that is all bubble gummy and fruit. That's why I like this, it's vanilla, with a bit of floral, tempered with what smells like banana and passion flower. Summery, but not too young. This will be summer staple.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2006 2:17:00 AM More reviews by veruska

I love nature's jasmine smell.Still most of the times in my skin it turns into a sour-sweet perfume that it's unbearable.Still i look everywhere for jasmines that work or are blended in ways that gives me only the benefits of them(exotic,sultry,feminine,sexy etc).So i tried fleur de comores after an e-friend that had the same problem commented favorably.The start was glorious.A sweet mouthwatering red fruit that slowly went to the heady floral that seemed to be teemed not with vanilla in the beggining but with honey.For the first 5 min.it seemed to work.but BANG!the hard reality woke me up.The jasmine become SOUR again and in a VERY LOUD way.I think the perfume was great till the first fruity notes dissapeared.After that it was just stinky on me.Still i let it on my skin to see how it goes after a long period of time.The last trace after 3 hrs was an ambery one.I'm sure that this is a nice enough jasmine but it gets 2 lippies cause it wasn't good enough for my tough jasmine condition.