October 26, 2014 | 873 users online

Treatments (Face) - Holland & Barrett Aloe Vera Gel

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2014 3:55:00 PM More reviews by Biioniic

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Mmm. I'm on the edge about this, I'm currently using it as my face has been severely dried out by BP (ouch!) although it has helped somewhat with my burning, I don't feel it's moisturizing enough... It's leaving a horrible film on my face and it feels really tight. I don't know if this is normal or not. I will edit my review if I feel this changes.

EDIT: I burned myself earlier today by accident (coincidence...) and I applied it onto the burn, amazing! The burning sensation immediately disappeared and it's really soothing! So it's great for burns! Not as a moisturizer!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2014 2:32:00 PM More reviews by Svta

My skin transformed a lot in my early 20's. Switching to a vegetarian diet which implied relying a lot on gluten and diary made my skin a mess. It took me two years to actually find what the reason for the break outs is..but once I managed to solve the problem internally I still faced hyper pigmentation and marks from previous cystic pimples on my cheeks. This has helped my face tremendously, I started using it without paying too much attention and in two weeks my spots faded significantly, to the extent that I even forget about covering some of them. Initially I applied only a tiny bit on the marks as I found it quite drying to apply on the whole face, but once I applied it on the whole face and loved how my face looked. I could still feel it a little drying but the skin looked so smooth it was unbelievable. Apart from this product I only use Arcona products.

Internally I completely stopped eating diary, soy and gluten and taking Green Pastures Fermented Cod Liver Oil and had no (zero) new breakouts..If you are facing any random adult breakout PLEASE just stop diary, soy (!!) and gluten and take Green Pastures and use this gel to calm down the skin..I never want to be without this!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/4/2014 8:06:00 AM More reviews by newbie1706

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Well, I was overwhelmed by the reviews on this website and bought 2 tubes right away.
Unfortunately it was a mispurchase!
I think it just doesn't fit my skin, I have dry combination skin, prone for acne. I didn't break out from this product, but it wasn't moisturizing enough for my skin. Every evening I used this gel after cleaning my face, but after that my face was so dry I could literately feel it tightening. Added to that it felt like a film on my skin and it didn't sink in. When you wash it off, you will notice, that there is really a gel-like layer on your skin, really awful. After two hours in bed I couldn't bare it any longer and put on another moisturizer serum, because I got really big dry patches!
Maybe I will try to mix it with another moisturizer, because I think that aloe vera itself is an very good ingredient.
But in the end wouldn't recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2014 6:22:00 PM More reviews by RosieSerena

A completely natural product that can even be used on children, this is a great skin care all rounder. Have used for a few years now & it's very soothing on my dehydrated skin. A great substitute for Clinique moisture surge (top ingredient if which is aloe!) & a fraction of the cost. Great as a body lotion in the summer as it does not feel thick & heavy like body butter can. Highly recommend. You just can't go wrong with this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2013 11:54:00 AM More reviews by Kylenixon12

I recently had a stress related break out of acne on chin, which left me with large blemishes and red marks, which had until i worked out the cause of the problem, came relentlessly. Once i managed to relax and stop new blemishes forming, i began to use my Holland and Barrett aloe vera gel again, as i thought it might take away the redness, and help with the healing process (after doing some reading on the internet).

It had dramatic results on my skin, it appeared to reduce redness very quickly, and help to heal any pimples that i had picked. It also helped to reduce any redness from any recently healed pimples which had left marks on my skin. It is not a miracle cure, but i do find that it seems to help halt the formation of whiteheads/blackheads due to the film form it takes once applied, and my main thing is the fact it helps remove redness along with healing.

I can't recommend this product enough at its doesn't block your pores either. Be warned, once applied, you may have a slight sensation from it takes the burn/pain away from the blemish, but stick with it, it will help! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2013 9:52:00 AM More reviews by Kittykatss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In my teens I had pretty bad acne on my cheek area ( I am now 40) , and because of my sensitive skin I ended up with deep scarring and large pore issues on both cheeks. I have a nice face and it is really sad and upsetting at times that there is not much I can do about it – I have tried microdermabrasion and all that , and have tried so many primers and what not ,but with deep scars and large pores in the cheek area This really knocks my confidence. It's also the fact that the skin tone is uneven , if it was just the scars , or just the uneven tone , it wouldn't be so bad.

One day I applied my holiday aftersun lotion to my face, the next day I woke up and couldnt beleive the improvement in the redness and the texture seemed so much smoother. I tead the ingredients and the main was Aloe Vera.
Not wanting to apply body aftersun to my face again , I swiftly made a trip to Holland and Barrett and they had a penny sale where you get the second item for a penny. Picked up two large tubes for around £6.99 , i figured that even if my face didnt get on with it I could use it as normal aftersun.

Been using the Gel on my face for around five days now - the improvement in the appearance is amazing ! my mum even commented on my complexion. All the pores seem to have become drastically smaller , and the tone and discoloration from the scarring is SO much better. Not only that , but the gel works a treat as a primer for my mineral powder - stays put all day with NO shine. What a find ! so cheap and so good for you - I can see that this is going to be a staple now , and its so handy for travel cos you can just throw a tube in your bag and use it for anything !

The calming effect this has had on my face is amazing - I tried the Smashbox and Lanacane chafing gel a few weeks ago as primers , one of them broke me out into horrible acne like bumps , as horrible as that was , after a few days of the Aloe Vera my skin has never looked better. I hear that Aloe has anti aging properties too. would thoroughly recommend , am going to get some more whilst it is on offer. It works well under or over moisturiser too , I don't think you could do without a moisturiser altogether , maybe mix it up and use alternate days. I'm just sorry I wasted so much money on the expensive stuff when the natural stuff was the best for me.

Buy It !

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2013 7:56:00 AM More reviews by sophiebo88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

i was looking everywhere for a 99.9% aloe vera gel after reading about it, everywhere else i looked had lower concentrations of aloe vera and lot's of added ingredients that i didn't want such as alcohol and perfume. Then i went into Holland and Barrett where i found the 99.9% gel on offer 2 for 3.99!
My skin is very problematic, mostly for acne, my skin is very sensitive to chemicals and products with big long lists of ingredients, these days i try to search for natural skin care.

if you are anything like me something i've found very useful is www.cosdna.com
go to ANALYZE COSMETICS at the top and copy and paste any product ingredients, it will show you what each ingredient scores for safety, acne causing, and what it scores as an irritant; 0 being the best and 5 being the worst.

back to the aloe vera gel, i find it helps with redness, acne, burns, and any general problem areas, it also makes a good foundation primer, i don't think its moisturising enough to be used as a daily moisturiser though, i tried that and my skin was starting to look dehydrated so i just use it every other night to perfect my skin, and also a primer.

My mum has contact dermatitus on her hand, it looked really bad and she wasn't using anything for it as every cream prescribed by the doctor just irritated it, the other week i put some of my aloe vera gel on her hand to try, it didn't irritate her at all, my mum has now purchased some too

Also if you're into natural remedies i'd also recommend safflower oil for sensitive skin, great for eczema, dry skin, and unlike other oils it doesn't cause acne :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2012 7:42:00 AM More reviews by lipglossraider

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

i have oily skin...so i wanted a very light moisturiser. I''m using the aloe vera lotion which also comes in a big tube like the gel. its light and airy on my skin, keeps it smooth and supple and i use it under my mineral makeup which is perfect. with this i dont get a melt down on my face as usual creams tend to get bit greasy. love using this and will continue to do so.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2011 1:06:00 PM More reviews by rach90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

It costs 5.99 for 200ml and I bought this about 2-3 years ago and I've barely made a dent in it. I use it on my face, on areas that red but mainly on blemishes to help them heal - which it does!! so well! It used to take at least 4-5 days before a blemish even settles, but after a day or 2 use of this I was so surprised how effective it was - it seems as though it enables my skin to rapidly produce new skin cell. I have a tendency to pick at my spots (not good) and it always stays crusty and bruised for awhile. PUT THIS ON! I use it only at night as well, simply because I don't think it looks too good with makeup on top - the gel sits like a protective film on your skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2008 7:03:00 AM More reviews by AnnKB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I always have this on hand for irritated or burnt skin but recently read a book about its 'miracle' properties. While I can't see it being the great cure all for everything and definitely can't bring myself to eat or drink it, I have started using it more. It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, has salicylic acid in it naturally and forms a fine film which is good on cuts and,I'm told mouth ulcers but have yet to try it for that.
Its great after shaving (for men too) and I put it on after I've cleansed my face as I have very oily acne prone skin. With this and my lavender or olive cleansers my skin is improving.
In Holland & Barrett (in UK) it comes in 100ml and 200ml tubes and is often on special offer. normally 2.99 and 4.99 full price I got the big tube for 2.49. Its 99.9% pure , the rest made up with preservatives (parabens). I have the real plants but they aren't nice thick juicy specimens so I leave them alone!
I also dabble in home made lotions, lip balms and such and often mix it in.will definitely be using it more.