February 1, 2015 | 1448 users online

Treatments (Face) - Benzaclin Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2015 1:01:00 AM More reviews by stillfearless

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't usually write reviews for things, but this stuff deserved one! I have had fairly oily skin since I was 12 and always had some sort of acne on my face but it got worse as I got older. When I turned 16, I was getting hormonal cystic acne around my chin and bumps on my forehead. No normal drugstore skincare regimen seemed to work to stop the breakouts and I was getting frustrated.

I saw my physician who prescribed this stuff and I've been using it for around 6 months now- It's a miracle worker! I have no trace of those horrible, painful bumps on my face, except some scarring that has been fading with time. The hormonal breakouts I do get are tiny and disappear within a couple days, leaving no scar at all. I can finally say my skin is clear after 5 years!

The first few days/weeks of using this were not a walk in the park. I experienced some redness, irritation and a little bit of peeling- it's extremely drying, but my skin still remains oily (boo). It also burned slightly for the first few times I used it (I was using it twice a day, as recommended) but I stuck with it, hoping to see an improvement, which I did. After a week I started only applying this at night because it was quite hard on my skin. I now wash my face with Cetaphil and use an oil free moisturizer to keep other irritants out of my routine and it's worked wonderfully!

I get this for a cheaper price with my clinic and I know it's quite expensive without insurance, but if you can get it for the reduced price and have moderate acne, give this a go! You won't regret it. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2015 9:21:00 PM More reviews by tyrich81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have suffered from mild to moderate acne since 1996. I have tried numerous treatments including antibiotics and topical formulations. It seems that since I have gotten older nothing works. I decided to ask my doctor to prescribe this as a last ditch effort. I have been using almost one month and I can say that I have not had any new breakouts. The old stuff is healing. I have tons of blackheads on my cheeks. It seems to be helping with that. The scars are fading. I am not sure if it's the medication or lack of me picking at my pimples. I think it is important to mention that I have started exercising and eating fairly healthy. Limited drinking and no smoking. I am not sure if the combination is the reason for my skin clearing or the medication but I am happy about it. I have oily skin. I use this once per day at bedtime. No drying effects for me. I will definitely continue to use this. Very expensive without insurance. With insurance, it was $9.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2015 2:44:00 PM More reviews by Sahaxoxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Absolutely amazing. If there's anyone on this planet who has tried almost every acne treatment, that's probably me. Lol. I've tried almost everything whether its homemade remedies, toothpaste , clean and clear , the body shop, neutrogena, tablets, sephora acne treatments ... LITERALLY EVERYTHING TRUST ME LOL whether it be low or high end. My last resort was to ask another doctor what I can do and she told me to keep calm and try benzaclin. I'm 17 and I've been using this stuff since I was 14. I had the worst acne scars from repeatedly popping pimples and I couldn't get rid of them but it just brought my self esteem down. Now when I started using this stuff, within 3 weeks I saw dramatic results. The scars faded and newly coming pimples just vanished and my skin was glowly and clear within about 2 months. Yes it does bleach but just my pillow covers which I just sleep on with a towel covering my pillows. And NO IT DOES NOT DRY YOUR SKIN OUT. That only happens when you put way more than you are supposed too but just be patient and put a tiny bit and massage it onto your skins after washing your face before bed and I guarantee you all will see a HUGE DIFFERENCE ! Xx

rated 1 of 5 on 10/28/2014 7:16:00 PM More reviews by auntita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I normally use clindoxyl gel for mild/modrate acne. Due to a shortage in my area it has been unavailable for almost a year, so it was recommended I try benzicilin. It has the same percentage of clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide so I figured why not, it seems like the same thing. I thought maybe I'll even like it better after reading reviews but something else in this must be different. I have been using this for a month now and my acne is the worst it has ever been in my life! and RED! it burns, it itches, it bleaches EVERYTHING. I take a break for a day and go back to it thinking it will start to get better but no...I get a few more every day.
Something about this medication isn't working for me and I think it's time to call it quits! :(

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2014 8:19:00 PM More reviews by laurenheartsmakeup

I have been using this since I was 13, I am now 20. It works great! I use the generic one. For me, the product has not become any less effective despite me using it for several years. My pharmacist told me to refridgerate this---this is key because it prevents the ingredientsfrom breaking down. I would not advise storing it in your bathroom, keep it in the fridge. I use this twice a day and it does have a drying effect like some have complained about. It's drying though because it is trying to dry the pimple up. You only need a tiny amount don't slather it all over your face.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2014 11:29:00 PM More reviews by gingie7

This is really a question regarding this product. I just purchased for my son. The name brand was $50 in Chicago area with my insurance and the generic was $15. Has anyone tried both or know if there is a difference? I decided to go for the name brand to give it a fair shot. I will report back when we get results. Today is day 1 with this product, along with an antibiotic.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2014 10:33:00 PM More reviews by shazaiya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I did not have severe acne compared to other people, but I did have white heads spread over my cheeks and forehead. I believe this was a result of trying too many products. One day I go sick of it and visited a doctor and he prescribed me with Benzaclin. It did wonders. By the fourth day I had seen a huge difference. I even have pictures of a go through. However I had stopped using everything (facial cleanser / moisturizer / makeup). It did really dry my skin out. One side of my face is clear and the other side is left with one bump and scarring.

I would recommend this product. If you have any questions about after care feel free to ask me. Ps. It has been my second month I have been using this.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2014 11:25:00 AM More reviews by tlee1031

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is a total lifesaver for me. A couple years ago, I began to suffer from large, deep painful cystic acne, all over both cheeks and jawlines. Nothing I tried worked, only dried my skin out and broke me out even more. Finally, my doctor prescribed Benzaclin (I got the generic version), and my skin completely cleared up within 3 weeks. Literally, a miracle. When I stop using it for a couple weeks, I begin to get small whiteheads and breakouts again, so I do have to use it at least every other day to maintain clear skin.

In my experience, it does not dry my skin out - on the contrary, since I have oily skin, it actually helps to manage the oil on my T-zone and my makeup lasts for hours without becoming an oil slick.

The only minor issue that I have with this is - sometimes the pharmacists seem to mix it differently, and it will come out stickier than usual, which is annoying to apply bb cream/foundation over.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2013 4:23:00 PM More reviews by ruselaandrea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for 2 weeks now and I'm actually starting to see results so I'm hopeful that if I keep using it, it would clear up my face completely. It's not as drying as the other products I have been prescribed (e.g. tazorac). Will update in 2 weeks!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2013 3:46:00 AM More reviews by Sapage89

I used this two mornings in a row and for the past three days my skin has been so insanely dry. And itchy. Nothing I've tried really works (clean and clear dual action, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil), but I'd rather deal with acne than this.