August 22, 2014 | 948 users online

Eye Shadow - NARS - Galapagos single

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 4:57:00 PM More reviews by darleenieweenie

I can safely say that spending more than $20 for this eyeshadow was definitely not a waste. The best rich and dark brown shade I own. I bought this shadow 2 years ago and use it here and there, and I still have not hit pan. One light dab into the product is already too much. I find that after one dab, I still tap the excess off. Only problem is how glittery it is, it definitely finds its way into your eyes. It's not a major problem for me though. Also, I don't understand the point of the mirror in the packaging since it's pretty tiny, but hey, it's cool. I've never seen a single eyeshadow with a mirror anyway! At that, a good quality one!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2014 2:35:00 AM More reviews by kimposton

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2014 11:33:00 PM More reviews by NativeNewyorker

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I took my time deciding whether to buy this eye shadow. It's intense and the sparkle in it gave me pause. I have to be careful when choosing eye shadows at this stage of my life. I will wear some shimmer or sparkle only on the eye lid up to the crease. I do love mattes, but still like to mix it up with the shimmery eye shadows.

I tried it on in the store and wore it for the rest of the day. I did notice that it lacked staying power, but it was over another eye shadow. I also wanted to see how I liked the color, if I could carry it off. I think that I tried it on at least two more times and wore it throughout the day. Finally I decided to buy it. I usually wear some kind of eye primer and this time I chose the MAC Paint Pot in Constructivist. I thought this brown color would work well with the intense dark brown of Galapagos. This helped give it great staying power. It was still looking good at night. I only used Galapagos up to the crease and then blended a bit. Then I used both MAC Soft Brown and Texture in the crease as transition colors. I thought they worked beautifully with Galapagos. I used my normal highlight color, Mac Brule.

I experimented a little the second time I wore this eye shadow. I used a flat definer brush to carefully line the Galapagos on the under eye lash line. I was very precise and kept the line as thin as possible, I then used Texture smudged out on the lower lid. This time I changed it up on the waterline, using a dark brown eye liner pencil. I have to say that I loved the look. As far as the sparkles, they were barely visible after I applied the eye shadow. It was very subtle. I should also say that I used a MAC 239 brush to apply this eye shadow. I thought it worked beautifully.

When I was browsing in Sephora that day, two of their sales assistants came over to me and asked me what I was wearing on my eyes. They were very complimentary. That's when you know that a look really works, when people who work in the business come over and say your eyes look great. I thought the dark brown brought out my green eyes. This is really best as a night look, although I did wear it a few times during the day. It's not for the faint of heart. I was nervous stepping a bit out of my comfort zone with this kind of eye shadow. But I have to say that I felt good wearing it. Even mature women can have some fun with eye makeup!

This is the first time I have purchased a NARS eye shadow. They are expensive. It's $25 for a small compact, which is pricey for 0.07 oz. or 2.2 grams of product. But I splurged this time and was not disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2014 5:05:00 PM More reviews by beautyjunkie2012

I've been on a brown eyeshadow collecting kick lately. Everyone complains of the glitter fallout and not translating on the lid....you're using the wrong brush. I use the MAC #239 and apply using a patting motion and not a sweeping motion. I also applied NARS eye primer prior to application. This keeps the glitter intact. When blending into my transition color I use the MAC #217 brush. This makes for a great chocolate smokey eye and I'm so glad I picked this up.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2013 7:30:00 PM More reviews by RizzaB7

My favourite eyeshadow, I use Mac, Nars and Napoleon perdis are my go to for eyeshadows. This far surpasses mac in terms of pigmentation, size (you get more for your money) and overall quality.

Beautiful dark brown with gold glitter. Colour shows up truly amazing on my eyes.

I use mac mulch all over lid then galapagos in outer v and under eye - absolutely perfect.

For reference I am NC25, brown eyes, dark hair.

I live in Christchurch in New Zealand so Nars isnt that easily accessible.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2013 9:35:00 AM More reviews by rsa1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

this is a kind of chocolately brown with gold sparkles (not really shimmer) in it. It shows up pretty matte, which I don't really mind though. Only problem I really have is that I find it difficult to blend well. Not sure if I would buy again as I could probably get similar colours but it has lasted me for a really long time so don't even think I would have to replace it any time soon.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2013 2:58:00 PM More reviews by LovesPromos

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I just got this eyeshadow and I'm in love with it. Its a warm brown with gold glitter. Now that I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate the neutrals and browns in eyeshadows but still love a bit of sparkle. This has small particles of gold glitter and pretty much disappears when you apply it to the lid but thankfully, I have Tarina Tarantino's nude glitter and when you apply it to your lids, it looks exactly how it does in the pan. Perfection. If you don't have gold glitter, than its still a beautiful, smooth eyeshadow that is pigmented like no other. Gorgeous. Recommend!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/21/2013 4:25:00 PM More reviews by lovemakeup2

Galapagos was included in Sephora's And God Created the Woman Set (purchased in April 2013). According the ingredients list, NARS has started using triclosan in its shadows. Given the other options available, it's not clear why this would be necessary. I will not be repurchasing.

Ingredients as listed on Sephora's And God Created the Woman Set:
Galapagos: Talc, calcium sodium borosilicate, cetearyl isononanoate, stearoxy dimethicone, cetyl acetate, acetylated lanolin alcohol, isopropyl lanolate, bha, methylparaben, propylparaben, triclosan [+/- (may contain): mica, ci 77891 (titanium dioxide), ci 77491 ci 77492 ci 77499 (iron oxides), ci 19140 (yellow 5 lake), ci 42090 (blue 1 lake), ci 77007 (ultramarines), ci 77288 (chromium oxide greens), ci 77289 (chromium hydroxide green), ci 77510 (ferric ferrocyanide), ci 77742 (manganese violet), ci 77163 (bismuth oxychloride), ci 75470 (carmine), ci 77000 (aluminum powder), ci 77400 (bronze powder), ci 77400 (copper powder)]

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2012 3:08:00 PM More reviews by colorsinbloom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

BEAUTIFUL. Highly pigmented ~ the color applies smoothly and truly. The brown base is flattering on my tan, cool-undertoned skin, and the gold flecks pack a punch. Subtly striking ~ It's not like electric blue shadow that you see from across the room, but one where the person you're standing in front of will go, "Wow!"

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2012 1:41:00 AM More reviews by maimaimaired

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great eyeshadow i think any skintone can roc it. In the crease or lid, when i want a nice quick smokey eye i apply It to my lid. Nw45(Mac) 178(mufe) relvon(capp) So yes INSTANT pretty, easy smokey eye. Luv it. Also i have Mekong from nars another great one.