Seche Vite Seche Base Ridge Filling Base Coat

2.4

Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, Toluene, Nitrocellulose, Acetyl Triethyl Citrate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Phthalic Anhydride/Trimellitic Anhydride/Glycols Copolymer, Camphor, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Citric Acid, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Yellow 5 Lake (C119140).

on 6/7/2015 9:19:00 AM

I don't think I have ever disliked a product enough to review it a 1! I am a big fan of the fast drying top coat so I ASSUMED (you know what they say about assuming...) that this product would be great. Boy, was I wrong! This product caused my polish and top coat to promptly peel off of my nails within the same EVENING! It was the weirdest home mani experience I have ever had. It is being returned to the store for a refund. However, Seche Vite owes me back a couple hours of my life back! ;)

on 2/13/2015 2:58:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have been looking for a filling base coat for my "wavy" nails because I buffed too much and it got weak. I found myself stupid buying this only because of the name. Thought I love their top coat so must be great the base coat too (hmmm.... why?) But well, it sucks! Expensive and chipping after 7 hours!
I do take a lot time with my manicure (nearly an hour). I do clean the fat from my nails before put on the base coat and then 2 coats of OPI color and Seche Vite fast drying top coat.
I have uploaded a picture here, I have used the ridge filling base coat from Seche Vite, I had my personal BEST quality nail polish ever with 2 coats (OPI DS Classic - never chipped before with normal base coats!) and Seche Vite top coat. I done my manicure yesterday night before I went to bed, and day after in the morning (today) went to shower, got on the bus - went to work, and this photo taken when I saw the chipping. So so so so so annoying - just the beginning of the day! Or is it because of 13th of Friday?! :( I hate this product. Never happened this fast with Original Nail Envy neither.

But there is one plus: fills the ridges - that's my 1 point, otherwise I would give 0
NEVER BUY THIS AGAIN - and I think I gonna give this away to someone...

Yik. This is a terrible base coat - for any purpose. It is not effective at filling ridges, or at holding polish better to the nail. It does not even create a smooh or even surface/base. I found it made my mani/pedi last less time when using this base. The polish chips aftera couple of days around the edges, and begins to peel a day later. The polish even peels off the nails in one piece. Th formula is gloopy and bubbly, uneven and streaky - which, obviously is terrible for lighter shades. Very disappointing. I woul never repurchase or recommend to anyone.

on 11/28/2014 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I've used this at least 10 times, a mixture of both manicures and pedicures utilizing a variety of different polish brands always with the Seche Vite topcoat, and it has consistently disappointed me.

I don't think it helps my nail polish stay on any longer, it's hard to work with (going on somewhat streaky and thick), and it doesn't prevent staining. I completely forgot it was supposed to help fill in ridges until I came to write this review because it doesn't even come close.

In essence, it does nothing I expect a base coat to do and the only reason I use it is because I want to finish it up. I would not recommend this product to anyone.

on 8/16/2014 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

Got this as an extra in a swap, Im going to keep using it, because, its there, I guess.

It doesnt seem to actually do anything. My ridges are no more or less noticeable, and more importantly, it doesnt give my mani much of a life span, I dont think the polish sticks very well to it, so, only a day or so later things end up all chipped and messy. Actually, I think it shortens my mani.

Not going to buy.

Might be more useful to someone else with different nails, but, Im not impressed.

on 7/6/2014 9:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the only ridge-filling base coat I've tried. I only gave it 4 stars because I'm sure there are probably better options out there. However, this one works well for me. I work in a kitchen, and my hands are constantly getting wet. So my polish never lasts more than a day before peeling. I don't blame it on the base coat, though. Nail polish adheres nicely to the milky white base coat. It dries quickly, and it fills ridges. I would re-purchase.

on 10/19/2013 8:28:00 AM

I tried this for the first time last night underneath one of my unused polishes and the polish went on VERY streaky. I didn't really believe the base was at fault but this morning I had to reapply three fingers (impatience induced bed sheet marks) and used the opportunity to test others. I tried China Glaze Ridge Filler on one finger and OPI natural nail on the other two and my Illamasqua went on fine with no streaking.

I will not be buying Seche Ridge Filler Base Coat again and while £5 isn't a huge amount of money, I still feel cheated.

on 10/18/2013 4:19:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Really disappointed with this.

I got it at a beauty expo, top coat, base coat and two colours for £12. What a steal! This is utterly rubbish though.

It goes on nicely, and I quite like the milky look of it. It dries quickly and is very shiny.

BUT.....it peels like crazy! I've done two manicures since I got this and both have peeled and chipped after a day. I can't be dealing with that, so I will get OPI Nail Envy again when I need a new base coat. I'll probably only use this now on it's own.

on 5/15/2013 6:17:00 AM

The base coat applies kind of thickly. It fills in ridges reasonably. I've been using it for 8 months now and so far, I have no proper issues with it. However, I will probably try the OPI ridge filler before I go ahead to re-purchase Seche Vite ridge filler again.

on 12/20/2012 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I'm editing this review based on further experience and use of this product.

I don't normally use this on my fingernails, but, rather, on my toenails, which have a lot of weird bumps, ridges, and other oddities going on. To my surprise, this does a pretty good job of minimising all those toenail weirdnesses AND it makes a pedicure last considerably longer than previous base coats I've used. This base coat, two layers of polish, and a top coat yield a pedicure which lasts pretty much until I decide to remove it, with no chipping, peeling, or other issues, which is just about unheard of for my poor tootsies.

One thing I'm not that crazy about is that this is a nearly-opaque white, and while it can give a boost to lighter coloured polish, it also increases the care needed to cover it completely. I suspect the white is a necessary side effect of the ridge-filling properties, so I can't complain too much, and it does do wonders for my ridged, bumpy toenails, but it is something to consider.

As a fingernail base coat, I'm not at all impressed with this. Polish chips faster when I use this, and I've had some issues with yellowing. I don't know if that's from the actual base coat or from the polish on top and the base coat not giving enough protection. On my toes, it hardly matters (they're slighlty yellowed anyway, and I keep them polished almost all the time), and this does work well for a pedicure, but I hate it for a manicure. I know, that's very weird, but possibly it's that my toenails ARE ridged, and my fingernails, for the most part, are not? Whatever it is, I will keep using this for my pedicures, but I won't be using it for any manicures, and I probably will not buy it again (I'll try some other ridge-filler for my toenails).

Top Rated Seche Vite Products