April 16, 2014 | 1932 users online

Top/Base Coats - Seche Vite - Ridge Filler Base Coat

rated 1 of 5 on 10/19/2013 8:28:00 AM More reviews by michellela

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried this for the first time last night underneath one of my unused polishes and the polish went on VERY streaky. I didn't really believe the base was at fault but this morning I had to reapply three fingers (impatience induced bed sheet marks) and used the opportunity to test others. I tried China Glaze Ridge Filler on one finger and OPI natural nail on the other two and my Illamasqua went on fine with no streaking.

I will not be buying Seche Ridge Filler Base Coat again and while £5 isn't a huge amount of money, I still feel cheated.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2013 4:19:00 PM More reviews by JasmineJolene

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Really disappointed with this.

I got it at a beauty expo, top coat, base coat and two colours for £12. What a steal! This is utterly rubbish though.

It goes on nicely, and I quite like the milky look of it. It dries quickly and is very shiny.

BUT.....it peels like crazy! I've done two manicures since I got this and both have peeled and chipped after a day. I can't be dealing with that, so I will get OPI Nail Envy again when I need a new base coat. I'll probably only use this now on it's own.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2013 6:17:00 AM More reviews by ooohdiamonds

The base coat applies kind of thickly. It fills in ridges reasonably. I've been using it for 8 months now and so far, I have no proper issues with it. However, I will probably try the OPI ridge filler before I go ahead to re-purchase Seche Vite ridge filler again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2012 1:39:00 AM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm editing this review based on further experience and use of this product.

I don't normally use this on my fingernails, but, rather, on my toenails, which have a lot of weird bumps, ridges, and other oddities going on. To my surprise, this does a pretty good job of minimising all those toenail weirdnesses AND it makes a pedicure last considerably longer than previous base coats I've used. This base coat, two layers of polish, and a top coat yield a pedicure which lasts pretty much until I decide to remove it, with no chipping, peeling, or other issues, which is just about unheard of for my poor tootsies.

One thing I'm not that crazy about is that this is a nearly-opaque white, and while it can give a boost to lighter coloured polish, it also increases the care needed to cover it completely. I suspect the white is a necessary side effect of the ridge-filling properties, so I can't complain too much, and it does do wonders for my ridged, bumpy toenails, but it is something to consider.

As a fingernail base coat, I'm not at all impressed with this. Polish chips faster when I use this, and I've had some issues with yellowing. I don't know if that's from the actual base coat or from the polish on top and the base coat not giving enough protection. On my toes, it hardly matters (they're slighlty yellowed anyway, and I keep them polished almost all the time), and this does work well for a pedicure, but I hate it for a manicure. I know, that's very weird, but possibly it's that my toenails ARE ridged, and my fingernails, for the most part, are not? Whatever it is, I will keep using this for my pedicures, but I won't be using it for any manicures, and I probably will not buy it again (I'll try some other ridge-filler for my toenails).

rated 2 of 5 on 3/5/2012 12:04:00 AM More reviews by Kimmeh5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I only use this base coat when I'm experimenting with designs and not wanting a manicure to last because it chips so easy. Even with the best of top coats that have previously helped me keep a manicure over a week, this base coat always kills it. It does fill the ridges though. It's also more of a cream than a base coat almost. I'm sadly not a fan and do not reccomend it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2012 1:37:00 PM More reviews by maan84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I actually like this base coat. It provides a good and even base for colored nail polish even though the cuticles aren't perfect in the beginning. I use this, two coats of colored nail polish and then the top coat from Seche Vite and my manicure last at least one week. I am quite happy with this product and would repurchase it. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2012 12:13:00 PM More reviews by electricshock01

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Helps a great deal with my ridges, with two coats. I don't really have much to say though...

rated 1 of 5 on 11/6/2011 12:39:00 PM More reviews by itsaddiiiii

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't know whether to throw it away or give it away because this is horrible to the max. I tried to like it by giving it a 2nd chance, but ended up wasting product because I was left with the ultimate streak-fest. Thank God I only bought this for $3-4.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2011 4:42:00 AM More reviews by leGingbot

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

The Good:
Seche Base Ridge-Filling Base Coat really does fill in the ridges of my nails. I don't remember when I developed them, but my doctor told me to start taking certain vitamin supplements and that if that didn't work, it was probably a hereditary thing (possibly a pre-cursor to arthritis, but that is neither here nor there.) My polishes looked horrible on my nails, even with thick topcoats, so I thought I'd try out a ridge filler. I bought this in favor of the Poshe base coat, and have tested it for a couple weeks, and the good news is that my ridges were about 89% concealed. They weren't rendered completely invisible, but with two coats of color and my Poshe top coat, they looked very nice.
The Bad:
The chipping is awful. I painted my nails in the morning, and not five hours later I got three large chips-two on one hand, one one on another-from nothing less than washing my hands.

I've found the Essie All-In-One to be less ridge-filling, but it's stickier, and really grabs onto the polish and olds it there. it's not great, but it'll do. I want to try the Orly rubber base coat, as well as the Poshe basecoat, but thus far, Seche is my least favorite. Maybe the regular base coat is better, but I wouldn't know.

And the pearly white color isn't my favorite. I prefer a clear base coat in case I want to use a sheer polish, or a jelly.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2011 6:56:00 PM More reviews by rebemdee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was going to get Orly but CVS was out so I got this instead. I don't know if it's wonderful. I got one huge chip on my thumb the first day after I did my nails, but otherwise my nail polish has seemed to stick better. I don't know if it made the polish go on streaky or that's just what this polish does, as reviews of the polish, Chinchilly by Essie, mentioned it can be streaky. I'm on the fence about this. Maybe I'll try it again with a different polish. I do think it has kept the polish on my nails without scary chips longer than is usual for me, which is about 2 to 3 days, and I'm going on day 4 today.

Edit: it made my polish last longer, but it also makes it go on super streaky. I tried it under chanel peridot and it was a disaster, I wasted a lot of polish trying to make it work. This is a throw away product.