October 2, 2014 | 1854 users online

Styling Products - John Frieda - Luxurious Volume Thickening Mousse

rated 2 of 5 on 9/24/2014 3:41:00 PM More reviews by echoluster

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I used to buy this all the time, but it seems like the formula has changed. It smells the same, but no longer does anything for my fine, just-above-shoulder length hair.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/10/2014 11:27:00 AM More reviews by thereisalwayshope

This mousse is nothing incredible, but it is not bad either. What I hated the most about this mousse is the fact that is leaves white dandruff looking pieces in my hair after it is dry. I did not care for it for this reason.

Volume is not worth looking like I have bad dandruff.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2014 6:37:00 AM More reviews by hberlin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have wavy hair that's difficult to control and has zero natural volume. This mousse is perfect for me. The scent is a very light citrusy one that doesn't linger. I'm not in love with it, but it's not a problem. This doesn't make your hair stiff or greasy. It doesn't offer extreme volume or hold, but it gives you a controlled, workable texture. The price is excellent, and I would recommend this to anyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2014 1:37:00 PM More reviews by jessamay

I am going to have to agree with the posters who like this product. It is a mousse and after many mousses over my life time of fine, thin hair, this does it about as good as it gets for the price point. I know mousse technology seems to have gotten better over the years - back in the 80s it was stiff and sticky with no movement - but I would never say a mousse leaves my hair "swingy" and glossy. This mousse is not sticky and it does not crunch and it gives A LOT of volume. That being said, it is the stiff variety of volume and I would say there is a dullness that comes along with it so I also use a silicon product to put back some shine. But my hair moves and I can run my fingers through it which is enough for me and a mousse. I tend to only use this when my main goal is volume and I don't care about silky shine - which I still always try to get with various other, non-mousse products to less than fantastic results. But this just gives great, long lasting volume. The only reason i did not give it 5 lippies is I am just not a big mousse fan overall (even though I benefit from this one as much as anyone can with fine, limp hair) as they are just not idea due to the dullness and lack of swing.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/4/2014 4:32:00 AM More reviews by LailaE

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This USED to be my go-to mousse. Something changed, and now it not only looks different but I think the formula was messed with. It now makes my hair greasy and yuk. Will not repurchse.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2014 1:25:00 PM More reviews by lucyrox

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have straight/semi-wavy, medium-textured hair that sometimes falls flat on top, so I thought I would try this mouse to bring height to my crown. No height delivered, only hopeless frizz. Then I had to find another product to help get my frizz out. I did use this for more than 6 times, not just once, each time resulting in the same frizzy mess. I am not a fan. Hair products are supposed to make our lives easier, not so we need to use other products to clean up their mess. Returned and won't look back. $5.99 at Walmart.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2014 8:32:00 AM More reviews by DeboMM

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have to agree with the person who said this product made her hair limp and greasy. It made my hair look as though I hadn't washed it! Am back to Garnier until that's gone and then on to Oribe Maximista. Oribe products are expensive but worth it for someone like me with thin, fine hair. See my review in Oribe category for the finishing spray. (I only tried the John Frieda mousse because of so many great reviews ... Oh well, you never know until you try a product yourself)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2014 4:30:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

My favorite mousse for volume was discontinued (of course! Isn't that always how it goes?) so I gave this a shot based on good reviews here.

The biggest thing for me with product, especially mousse, is that it's not sticky - I don't want to feel it in my hair at all after it's dry, and thankfully this one fits that bill. Lightweight and non-sticky, it doesn't weigh my hair down or make it greasy/tacky. If you let your hair dry with it in, it will become crunchy (this definitely isn't meant for air-drying) but you can usually brush that out.

I use two lemon-sized dollops for my long hair from roots to ends for an allover thickening effect and while it's not a miraculous effect, there is a difference - it's certainly better than nothing.

A bit pricey at $8 a bottle but oh well, for non-sticky volume it's worth it. No lingering scent. One quibble is that when you get toward the end of the bottle it won't foam up through the nozzle anymore, rendering the remaining product useless (you can't apply it without it foaming up or it just makes the hair crunchy) so that's a bit of a waste.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2013 2:19:00 PM More reviews by simonsem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Holy crap. I have tried every volumizing product on the market that's in drugstores, and none have come close to this. I have thick, curly hair that is really limp on top because it's weighed down by the curls, so it looks weird on top. This product brings my roots to life as well as sculpts and boosts my curls. I don't know how I've ever lived without it. I just let it air dry as well and it works wonders.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2013 1:04:00 AM More reviews by catonbloom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It does what it says. Gave my hair a lot of volume! I'm gonna hoard this product next time. :)