April 17, 2014 | 999 users online

Styling Products - John Frieda - Luxurious Volume Thickening Mousse

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2014 1:25:00 PM More reviews by lucyrox

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have straight/semi-wavy, medium-textured hair that sometimes falls flat on top, so I thought I would try this mouse to bring height to my crown. No height delivered, only hopeless frizz. Then I had to find another product to help get my frizz out. I did use this for more than 6 times, not just once, each time resulting in the same frizzy mess. I am not a fan. Hair products are supposed to make our lives easier, not so we need to use other products to clean up their mess. Returned and won't look back. $5.99 at Walmart.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2014 8:32:00 AM More reviews by DeboMM

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have to agree with the person who said this product made her hair limp and greasy. It made my hair look as though I hadn't washed it! Am back to Garnier until that's gone and then on to Oribe Maximista. Oribe products are expensive but worth it for someone like me with thin, fine hair. See my review in Oribe category for the finishing spray. (I only tried the John Frieda mousse because of so many great reviews ... Oh well, you never know until you try a product yourself)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2014 4:30:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

My favorite mousse for volume was discontinued (of course! Isn't that always how it goes?) so I gave this a shot based on good reviews here, and I'm happy with it.

The biggest thing for me with mousse is that it's not sticky - I don't want to feel it in my hair at all after it's dry, and thankfully this one fits that bill. Lightweight and non-sticky, it doesn't weigh my hair down or make it greasy/tacky.

I use two lemon-sized dollops for my long hair from roots to ends for an allover thickening effect and while it's not a miraculous difference, there is a noticeable difference. It gives me just enough 'oomph.'

A bit pricey at $8 a bottle but oh well, for non-sticky volume it's worth it. No lingering scent or any other misc. gripes. Recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2013 2:19:00 PM More reviews by simonsem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Holy crap. I have tried every volumizing product on the market that's in drugstores, and none have come close to this. I have thick, curly hair that is really limp on top because it's weighed down by the curls, so it looks weird on top. This product brings my roots to life as well as sculpts and boosts my curls. I don't know how I've ever lived without it. I just let it air dry as well and it works wonders.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2013 1:04:00 AM More reviews by catonbloom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It does what it says. Gave my hair a lot of volume! I'm gonna hoard this product next time. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2013 6:44:00 PM More reviews by RebeccaD

This is one of the better mousse products I've tried. It gives my fine hair lasting volume, and I don't need a lot of product to give me the volume I want. Best of all is that my hair is still soft and manageable after using it. It looks like I just have voluminous hair, not "canned volume". I apply from my scalp all the way down my length, comb through it, and then blow dry. I really can't ask more from a mousse than this. The price is fair, too. I think it was ~$7 at Ulta, but I used a coupon. Since I don't need to use a lot of product, I think this bottle will last quite a while. Great product at a great price. I plan to stick with this JF mousse for a while.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/10/2013 8:04:00 PM More reviews by toronto27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Maybe I didn't apply this mousse properly, but when I used it I had no extra volume. I rubbed it into my hair from the ear down and blow-dried, but it dried my hair out and made it look flat :( It sucks because my normal products give me a really sleek, smooth blowout, and I was looking for something to give me some more volume. I love most John Frieda products, but this just didn't work on my fine, thin hair.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2013 9:40:00 AM More reviews by materialface

I've bought this in the mousse and spray form. I prefer the spray form because I have no time in the morning and the mousse is messy. The spray doesn't last as long as the mousse, which I've had forever.
- this mousse is probably the best drugstore one I've used
- it has a pleasant smell compared to other brands.
- It adds soft volume to my crown.
- shelf life is quite long. I've had it for over a year.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 3:19:00 PM More reviews by Ducky8989

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Best volumizing mousse I've tried by far. The first time I tried it I was SHOCKED at how much volume it gave me... like actually tripled the thickness of my hair it was crazy!

I apply it very liberally (there's really no such this as too much of this if you're blow-drying.. if you air dry you have to use a bit less) to scalp and lengths and then blow dry most of the time. But a lot of times I will just put it in, let my hair air dry and then brush through with a boar bristle brush when it's dry and I will get just as much volume. The only issue with air drying is it can make my scalp look a little crunchy, but a spritz of clairol 'pssst dry shampoo' (my other HG hair product) and a brush through with the bristle brush takes care of that perfectly. You could also just apply less to the roots but I like to get a lot of volume up there.

If you're looking for volume this in combination with the dry shampoo I mentioned will completely transform your hair (not to mention you will never have a greasy day again)! Highly recommend to anyone with fine to medium-thick hair (not sure how this stuff works with coarse hair).

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2012 11:09:00 PM More reviews by MoG04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't think I've made anything my HG so far, but this is it for mousse!! At least until I find something better. BUT I have tried over 15 different mousse products so this is by far the best. If you want the product to last through the day this is it. I straighten my hair daily and so I need my hair to hold and have good lift at the root and it does it with this! Even when I don't want to straighten it I can use this mousse. I would say there are better curling mousses when u aren't straightening, but this is it for straightening. I actually found this by accident when I went to my grandmas I forgot my mousse and she happened to have this. She didn't have much hair due to chemo so I took this and it did the best lift I've seen! Love love love it!!!