September 2, 2014 | 1881 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Get Started Face Kit in Fairly Light/Light

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2013 10:36:00 AM More reviews by JasmineJolene

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm really not sure about this.

I went to Debenhams and the lady put this on my face. She used a thin, tan coloured liquid as a primer, and I was thrilled with the result. I'm pretty sure she put the matte version on my face, as it certainly wasn't as shiny as it appears to be.

I like the finish as it looks very natural, but this isn't great for when I want a bit of extra coverage. The primer in the kit is a bog-standard silicone one, I could use Lanacane anti-chafing gel which would have the same properties.

The colour is perfect. The finish doesn't disguise my pores at all, in fact, if I use the primer it enhances them! If you have big pores this may not be for you.

I love the 'Warmth' bronzer. the colour is perfect. Mineral Veil is also lovely, but looking at the ingredients I could buy a box of cornflour and it would be nearly identical.

Overall, I like the finish but think this is grossly overpriced. I like the way it looks on and it doesn't take ages, it looks natural and wears off naturally. I haven't noticed any irritation or anything.

I probably will buy this again and get the matte version next time. I don't mind a slightly glowy look, but this can just look shiny, particularly across the nose. I like the way it goes on sheer. Other mineral powders I've tried look really thick and horrible.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2013 4:18:00 AM More reviews by sconzzy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this set. I have considered buying for years then finally did. Although I think I got an old one as it does not have the snap lock sifters.

Anyway whats in it: two foundations, great quality, decent coverage and plenty of product. I use with the full flawless face brush which I really love, its nice and soft. The mineral veil is amazing, I think this really enhances the foundation and improves the smoothness of the coverage.

The warmth is a product I was sceptical about. It looks so scary dark and red in the pot but I did give it a go, and now I use it everyday. I just use a tiny bit and it warms up the face but still looks so natural.

Then my favourite, my kit came with the bisque conceiler, I love it and the conceiler brush too. I have never been a conceiler fan as they always look like I painted something on my face, but this is perfect. I couldnt imagine a powder as a conceiler, but its so creamy when applied. I use this all the time and will deffinitly buy again.

Will I buy the set again, probably, but I will deffinitly buy all the products in full size!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2013 6:19:00 PM More reviews by cjthepixiegnome

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

If i could only ever use one makeup product ever again it would be this. The only things i don't like about this product are the price and the medium coverage brush that came with the set (which only gets used as a contouring brush because it picks up juuuuust the right amount of colour for my paper white skin!)

PRO's!
1)Since i started using this 2 years ago my overly sensitive, psoriasis prone, occasionally blessed with a nasty teenage spot, skin has been fantastic. No idea why, but it has just... felt better.
2) It covers, and does not stick to, the dry spots on my face, including the psoriasis around the sides of my nose which are the most red, dry, flakey disgusting thing on the planet.
3) The colour is an almost perfect match for my skin, once the mineral veil(or any other translucent powder to be honest) has been applied over it. Some people might ask why it should NEED a setting powder over another powder, I would argue that it doesn't need it, but that it gives it the most lovely effect and that for someone with skin as pale as mine, ANY foundation needs powder over it.
4)The concealer brush means that i can quite easily get that extra bit of coverage for the problem areas (under eyes, hyper pigmentation, psoriasis) while still using the actual foundation powder.
5) The full flawless face brush gives the perfect coverage, for me anyway.
6)I'm no make-up artist, and i have very, VERY little time to spend doing my makeup but i find that i can get this part of my routine done in less than 3 mins if i have to. It's super easy to apply and even quicker because it's a powder.
7) I have to work long, grueling shifts. I'm not going to lie. They're all 12.5 hours. Some are night shift. One minuet you can be sweating, the next crying, the next you can be dragging your hands over your face in frustration or stress. All in all i find that the most i have to do is re-apply the foundation round the psoriasis on my nose ( i rub it alot to stop myself scratching it) and that's it. It stays on wonderfully and the worst i get is a little bit of colour on the shoulder if i've been rubbing my nose on it. (don't always have a free hand to catch that itch, and to be honest it'm surprised the uniform doesn't rub the skin off, so i'll let it away with bit of my foundation)
8) i've yet to find a product that doesn't sit well on it. Any blushers or eye shadows i have used have been more than merry to join it on my face are even the more awkward to work with colours are quite happy.

i would like to finish my review here by pointing out that although i find this quite literally the most fantastic product ever (and while I wish I was still using the wee starter kit it got, in two years i have had to repurchase the foundation) I have found that i can get away with using the Rimmel stay matte pressed powder in place of the mineral veil. This is purely because i don't have an extra £20 to spend it, despite how long it lasts! Poor student exhibit A! I will however say that it doesn't have the same lovely glow or silky feel to it, but it is light enough for my skin and does the job.
I will also say that i know that this product is not everybody's cup of tea, but that i will defend it to my last days because FROM MY EXPERIENCE, it is a dream.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2013 7:19:00 AM More reviews by Walko

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this over a year ago as a present so decided to give it a go as you would. Not impressed.First of all this is supposed to be make up that's good for your skin, so good there's a night version you can sleep in. Utter nonsense You shouldn't be sleeping in ANY make up.As for this get started kit, far too much messing around. the powder foundation's not bad on, but far easier is a pressed powder foundation.As for the mineral viel over the foundation, what's that all about? Why set powder with powder? Absolutely pointless.The concealers ok for blemishes but for more mature ladies like myself it's a disaster around eyes and that's where I need a concealer. So I had to use my usual liquid conceaer as the foundation on it's own is no use around eyes.The all over face colour? I certainly wouldn't put this all over my face.It's ok as a blush.This to me is just overpriced nonsense. All it's got going for it is it's spf , but even at that you'd have to apply quite a bit to get the required protection, if this were to be your only source of spf.(Personally I would use a moisturiser with spf underneath) Certainly not for me. Glad I didn't buy this.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/15/2012 2:40:00 PM More reviews by merenguehips

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This was a joke for me. For my mother, it's great. 1) Couldn't match my skin tone. Everything was too yellow or too light. Tried at varying coverages; heavier coverage just exaggerated the problem. 2) Made me break-out horribly. I have really sensitive skin, was using Purminerals without issue, but this gave me acne like I had in MS and HS. No thanks.
3) The price...not paying this much for something that doesn't work at all for me. Eep. 4) The packaging really is annoying. You lose so much product to the brush, the lid, and good grief, the air (it flies everywhere), there's little left to actually test. Solid powders are the way to go. The only plus out of this kit? The mineral veil. I might buy that on its own...added a nice luminous finish, and toned down the strong yellow tones in the foundation. Otherwise, this was a complete fail for me. I'm giving it two lippies for the mineral veil.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2012 6:35:00 PM More reviews by danagreer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Has a great non-makeup feel to it, however applying it can be tricky.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2012 1:28:00 AM More reviews by meitis

I LOVE this stuff!!!

PROS:
Gives a beautiful, healthy, glowing appearance
Is smooth and looks natural
Feels clean
Doesn't clog my pores
Doesn't break me out
Last pretty good amount of time up to a year or more (for me)
Buildable coverage
Makes my skin look and feel better after use & I think it may actually help the health of it too since it looks better
I've slept in it and it's true, It doesn't do any harm :)

CONS:
Horribly expensive (for me anyhow)
Can sometimes make me feel a little oily (still better than any other for me)
Sometimes will enhance my smile lines a bit more than without makeup, but I can't avoid that with any other makeup either.

**Over all this is the only makeup that I actually like to wear! It's comfortable and doesn't feel 'icky'. I feel good in this stuff.
Since I feel comfortable and it gives me this healthy, beautiful glow like no other makeup can... I just have to use it!!
If I could ever find another mineral makeup that is like this but cheaper I would be thrilled! I live on a budget so this causes an issue sometimes.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by pimpimm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got the starter kit as my friend was cheering me on to buy it as if she owns the place. Anyways, I thought the price was pretty good £50 for the starter kit in light which consists of:
- Original foundation in "Light"
- Original foundation in "Fairly Light"
- Bronzer in "Warm"
- "Mineral Veil" finishing powder
- Concealer brush
- Buffing Kabuki brush
- Blush (Kind of) brush
- Primer

The kit comes in a really nice, good quality cardboard box which I now use to store my jewellery. The first problem I encountered with this was that instead of getting a "Fairly Light" foundation, I got 2 "Warms" and to make matters worse, I tried to exchange it at Debenhams and they wouldn't let me as I already chucked the reciept (I know, it's a very bad habit) so I had to ring them and get them exchanged.

I watched the DVD guide as the shop assistant was NOT helpful at all and thought maybe I would get some very helpful tips. Anyway the guide video looks like it's been filmed in the 90s but the method was really helpful and I followed every step for my face.

Results:
This foundation is very natural and subtle. I don't think there is a lot of coverage but it evens out my skin really well. I have very dry skin that tends to look peeled when I use my liquid foundation. Despite the fact that the BE is a powder foundation, it gets worked smoothly into the skin and leaves a soft finish, my skin isn't dry at all, and it probably even "sets" the moisturiser so that it doesn't dry out easily which is what happens to me in the winter.

Pros:
- Natural finish like your real skin but better.
- Not sticky or oily like other foundations.
- Can be layered.
- Has an SPF which is good for me - I don't like sun creams as they tend to be sticky
- Good for skin (if you're not sensitive) because the ingredients are all natural - "you can sleep in it."
- Doesn't clog pores.

Cons:
- May cause people with sensitive skin to break out due to the minerals.
- Takes a long time to apply, I buff for ages to layer it on.
- Not sure of this but you might "over-buff" your face if you're very heavy-handed with the brush, I've seen my friend attack her face with the brush, which is not particularly that soft anyway. It's a bit like scrubbing your face, but you don't want to scrub your face everyday when you have dry skin.
- The starter kit container is too small to "swirl" the brush on the lid but I'm sure the normal sized ones are fine.
- The brushes aren't that soft/gentle, some of you may not agree but I'm comparing them to BB
- May not have enough coverage for some people.

Well this is all for now. I said I wouldn't buy it again because I'd get the products separately. Overall I really like it and will definitely get some more when they run out.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/29/2011 2:58:00 PM More reviews by Rebeccaxx24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I really am in 2 minds about this kit..sometimes I use it and my skins looks amazing and the effects last all day..others I use it and it sinks into my pores and goes all shiny straight away..but I guess thats just my skin, but other foundations I have used do not exaggerate my pores as badly as this one does, but thats only sometimes!

I would only use this foundation regularly if I had flawless skin as I don't think it has a high coverage and doesn't hide my spots very well. I think the concealer is pretty useless. The bronzer 'warmth' is very nice though and I will use that every day. The brushes that come with it are really good too. I don't think I will buy this again but I will try other mineral foundations. On the plus side I think this kit is excellent value for money when you think about what you are getting in there..I think I paid either £43 or £48 for here in the UK.

Despite the positives and negatives I would advise other women to try this because I think this could be great for some people as on a good day this makes my skin look luminious and natural!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2011 10:04:00 PM More reviews by Xiaored

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I hated the packaging to start with, but I was willing to try the powder. Turns out that was a bad idea. I had a reaction to the powder that made me itch. No rash, no bumps, just a crazy itch that would not go away. I tried a primer to help and it did, but not well enough. I am happy I only bought the starter kit. I did not find that the coverage was as good as all the hype. I felt dry and cakey after the day was out (that might have just been me). I will never buy this one again. Also the mineral veil has too much pigment in it to do he job it boasts. I finally get the complexion I am looking for just to mess it all up with my finishing powder. I was not even close to impressed with this line.