September 18, 2014 | 1306 users online

Shampoo - Hugo Naturals Shampoo

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2012 12:14:00 AM More reviews by SpanglieJN

Hugo Vanilla Orange Volumizing Shampoo really does what it says. It makes my naturally curly hair full of volume with no limpness or frizzies. The smell is wonderful. It reminds me of an ice cream creamsicle. Really pretty, yet not overbearing scent. Suds up to a medium rate, not overly bubbly and not under bubbly. I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 because it's not very moisturizing, therefore I wouldn't use it every day. It is not drying, though. It's just semi-moisturizing and semi-clarifying. I'd buy it again. I get it in the bulk section at my local consumer's co-op, so I can't really comment too much on the packaging. It's pretty run of the mill---a brown translucent bottle with a press down cap. Fairly nice looking bottle, but nothing special and no pump. Only comes in one size so far, a bottle that looks to be 11 ounces. The conditioner in this formula is great, too, and rinses out really well with no residue!!! Nice product, nice price, great smell, great volume, and doesn't hurt your eyes.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/2/2011 4:22:00 PM More reviews by faffner

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had a terrible allergic reaction that sent me to urgent care on both occasions that I used the coconut shampoo and its matching conditioner (I used them twice because I didn't know what had given me the reaction the first time). Those who are interested in the products can stop there. Those who are interested in how the company conducts itself should read on.

I filled out a form on the company website to let them know what had happened. I didn't act upset; I just let them know that I was prone to allergies, but I had never had a reaction this bad, and I wanted to let them know just in case other people had the same problem. A woman from customer service contacted me to discuss it, which I was impressed by at the time. She told me that what had probably happened was that I was allergic to tree nuts and, since coconut is a tree nut, people with a tree nut allergy react to it. I have no coconut allergy -- I use the oil in my hair regularly - and I know that coconut is a fruit and not a tree nut because my father has fatal tree nut allergies and can eat coconut. She kept insisting that the company help with my medical bills, and I kept telling her "no" because the reaction could have just been something weird about my system. I only filled out the form to be helpful. Finally, after she kept pushing and made a big deal about how nice the owners of the company are and how horrible they would feel if they couldn't help me out, I acquiesced and gave her my address. That was in February. It is now the end of May, and the only thing I've gotten from them is this email: "Our contracted outside lab tests for anything other than what is listed in our ingredients, including any contaminates. We truly hope you're much improved. Please let us know if we can answer any other questions."

I never wanted anything from them, and this response makes me feel manipulated -- like they made all of these promises in case they had a production problem, then acted like I had accused them of contamination and blew me off when they knew they had no liability. If, at the start of this, I had gotten a response that said "thanks for letting us know" or even no response at all, I would have been happy. I have contacted the company again to let them know what happened, that I never wanted their money, and if they sent me a check now I would rip it up. Based on this experience, the best case scenario I see is that Hugo is so disorganized and irresponsible that you can't trust anything that they say about their products or otherwise, but their actions toward me feel more cynical and self-serving. Sorry for the super-long review, but with something this negative, I feel the need to be very specific.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/21/2011 10:44:00 PM More reviews by Starsfellon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I purchases the sweet orange & vanilla shampoo and conditioner. I wasn't satisfied with either. The shampoo did not actually clean my hair, but did leave it feeling stripped, which was incredibly weird. The conditioner left my hair heavy feeling and, since the shampoo was not actually cleanin my hair, incredibly greasy. I even tried using the shampoo with a different conditioner and the conditioner with a different shampoo and they just DON'T work on my hair type. My hair is medium thickness with a little wave to it. The smell was really nice and I loved it so much that I bought the shower gel and lotion and I have been happy with those. Unfortunately, the hair care just calls short for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2009 5:50:00 PM More reviews by girlwithcurioushair

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This isn't cheap, but I use shampoo on my hair less than once a week, so the bottle lasts the better part of a year and I don't mind spending $13 to get something good. This does not have sls or any other harsh detergents and is completely natural. The scent is spectacular without qualification, but it's worth mentioning that the it smells really great for a naturally-scented hair product. In my experience, natural fragrance is often worse than just leaving it unscented. This shampoo doesn't create the biggest lather, but it does lather enough to get your hair clean. It leaves your hair feeling a bit stripped, but most good natural shampoos do. As far as I can tell, this doesn't have an overall drying effect.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2009 12:53:00 AM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

THIS IS EXCELLENT FOR BLACK HAIR (natural afro or relaxed)

Bought the red tea and ylang ylang version at Whole Foods for $12.99. I have afro hair, loose curls rather that tight curls and after trying everything in the Afro hair product line and the regular drugstore lines and always getting flakes and ridiculously dry scalp I turned to sulphate free-no paraben-no petroleum etc products.
I wasn't impressed by the bottle in the store but the ingredients were great. I nearly put it back because of the price but I figured if it was better than the itching the other product give me it's worth it.

This product is excellent. It left my hair so soft, smelling great but not overpowering and only needed a little to suds up. My scalp stopped itching minutes after I washed my hair and putting a comb throuhg it was as easy as pie. I'll definitely be repurchasing. Love the ingredients. You don't even need ot use conditioner with this. This reminds me of the old Creme of Nature Shampoo (green top) but witha much better smell. Very impressed.

UPDATE;
This is my 2nd hair wash with it and it's still great. It's like a shampoo and conditioner in one.

UPDATE - a month later
I've now washed my hair 4 times with it. Advice, this stuff seems ot be concentrated because it works even better if you mix some in water first.
It's excellent on my hair (relaxed) and my families hair (natural afro) equally. You don't need conditioner afterwards. your hair will be amazingly soft

Update 5 - 2 months later. It's stopped working adn I don't know why. I'll try an Apple Cider vinegar rinse and try again

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2008 10:04:00 PM More reviews by tried_em_all

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried the Lemon Verbena, the Red Tea and the Vanilla Orange and found they all perform as listed on the bottle. I didn't love any of them, they don't lather well, and I found the Lemon too drying, the Red Tea too waxy and the Vanilla a little drying and yet sort of oily. It took a lot of product to get it through my hair, and I wasn't pleased with the results - and it took even more of a different product to get it out of my hair. I also really reacted to the fragrances, which are beautiful, but I'm ridiculously sensitive. I think a lot of people will like the line, but it's a no for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2008 1:58:00 AM More reviews by kahaluumauka4

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE that Hugo red tea with Ylang Ylang, shampoo and conditioner, I sure wish Hugo naturals company would make a leave in's, but this shampoo and conditioner made my hair soft soft, so Im hoping hugo will make More hair leave in's, this one is the BOMB!!! Smells nice too.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2008 7:55:00 PM More reviews by sarahandj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to like this pretty natural shampoo. 11 bucks a bottle at Whole Foods. This whole company claims to use only organic and natural ingredients, oddly the website lists olen sulfinate(mild detergent) on their website and does not list it on the bottle. What is going on there??? The shampoo and conditioner, Red Tea and Ylang Ylang didn't harm my hair it was soft but flat and greasy feeling. I have been using Trader Joes Spa Nourish and John Masters Organics and have been sls free for monoths, so this isn't a reaction to going sls free. Aslo, they do not list their shea butter as UNREFINED and I find that weird, if they are a company so concerned with fair trade and ingredients that are not chemically tampered with. Oh well. I have highlighted blonde super fine hair, and this may very well work for some with thicker hair. There are not alot of natural or socalled shampoos to choose from, so give it a try and you can return to whole foods if you don't like it with a receipt. I really, love love my Trader Joes Spa Nourish and can't believe it is only 2.99 a bottle. I did whip some pure aloelife aloe jelly into shampoo recently, and it makes hair super soft and shiny. The search is never over for the HG shampoo...