September 18, 2014 | 1681 users online

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2014 11:19:00 PM More reviews by liveforever

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

FACE POWDER:

I'm the greasiest little monkey out there and if a product works to keep my face shine free then you know it works. I put this on my face today on a whim as I had originally bought it to use as a dry shampoo (my review as a dry shampoo will be below) and HOLY COW... an hour went by and I looked in the mirror and I was shocked to see that I was still matte. WOW! My face was also smooth to the touch....like butta! I have used so, so many setting powders/pressed powders and mattifying lotions over the years and nothing has mattified like this. I can't believe something this impressive has been sitting in bulk barn all this time.

PROS/CONS

The only two cons I would say are:

1) the slight white cast it creates which is more visible on my face as I have tan skin. I read in the reviews below & you can tone down the white by adding cinnamon powder to it. I guess this could work and I’m thinking so could adding loose bronzing powder. Right now I just apply bronzer/blush afterwards.

2) It's so lightweight...it gets EVERYWHERE. Be sparing as possible or it will fly all up in your face and onto your eyelashes making you look like you have white eyelashes. I also experienced irritation near my eye lid area so avoid the eye area as much as possible.

DRY SHAMPOO:

As a dry shampoo it does a bang up job. But, again, it leaves a white cast on my dark hair. I know you can add cocoa powder or even cinnamon powder to it, which I have in the past, but something about putting that much food in my hair kinda turns me off. But it's still the cheapest, most effective powder to use when you need a quick dry cleaning. It instantly fluffs up your hair without weighing it down.

Side note: I recently was given Principessa's Notte Breeze dry shampoo for dark hair. I noticed the ingredient used for the brown tint of the product is 'iron oxide'. If you can find iron oxide powder from a DIY supplier online I don't see why you couldn't tint your own powder the same way. But if cocoa powder or cinnamon doesn't bother you than this is definitively the way to go. It's cheap and does the trick. No need to spend $30 + on a dry shampoo that lists cornstarch as the first ingredient.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2013 12:16:00 PM More reviews by saramason111

OMG. Thank you MA reviewers!! I wanted to create my own translucent powder like Mineral Veil by Bare Essentials, but online recipes used baby powder mixed with corn starch. (MIneral Veil's main ingredient is corn starch; what a rip off!). Baby powder has fragrance in it and corn starch can cause breakouts, so I tried the arrowroot (which I already had in my cupboard) and it's GREAT! I tapped a teaspoon of it into the cap and then used a make-up brush to dust my face with it. Used a sponge to tap it in. It's been 5 hours since application and there's no caking around my nose or on my forehead (which I would get with powder foundations). So glad I found out about this!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2011 1:45:00 PM More reviews by tealkois

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have to admit, I felt a little silly at first putting a bakery aisle product on my face, ha ha. But this is THE best finishing powder I have ever used. I am very pale skinned, so I'm totally okay that this is a white powder. But after it "melts" into your skin, there is no whitish cast. I actually use this before AND after my mineral foundation. I have found that it is perfect as a primer because it creates a matte base for applying mineral foundation. Then a light dusting afterwards as a setting powder and mattifyer (I have REALLY oily skin, ha ha).

I just use an old mineral foundation jar to put this in, so I'm not dipping my brush into a flour bag ;o)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2011 12:56:00 AM More reviews by xDOLLFACEx

A lighter version of cornstarch for a finishing powder for foundation. Has better staying power then cornstarch, keeps me matte longer and doesn't leave as noticeable of a white tint to the skin. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2010 2:13:00 AM More reviews by fearless_20

here are some tips for people who are not pale...add some cinnamon to your arrowroot/tapioca/corn flour/ rice powder....any one of these thin fine powders can be applied on either sun screen, moisturizer or foundation to keep your skin oil free and matte...by adding cinnamon and turmeric your adding a pinch of color...both are anti septic as well and anti bacterial so its good for your skin

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2009 2:55:00 AM More reviews by stargazer_lily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I read about using Arrowroot as a setting powder on the skincare board and have been meaning to try it for quite some time. I've been testing it out this past couple of weeks.There's no doubt it's cheap - I got a big cannister of it in the supermarket (it was near the baking ingredients) for around AUD$3. I put some in an empty Everyday Minerals sample jar (which has a sifter) so I can sprinkle a small amount out at a time. I apply with a kabuki and kind of "stipple" it into my skin. The Arrowroot is a white powder but once you apply with the brush, you do not see a white cast (although, please note I am quite pale). There is no scent. I like the way this looks when it has been on the skin for about 15 minutes. Any powdery effect settles and the Arrowroot seems to diffuse flaws - similar to Fyrinnae Fluff but better in my opinion. I tested this on a hot summer day today over Everyday Minerals Semi Matte and I had to blot after 4 hours. For me, that is a below-average result, and a mattifying fail. Results could definitely vary depending on what foundation you were using - I will continue to experiment with this as I try better mattifying foundations.

I would encourage people to try this - it is very inexpensive. I can really see this working for a lot of people - maybe someone with more normal skin who only gets a little bit shiny during the day. I'm giving this a 4, even though it's not mattifying me well - the way it diffuses the flaws on the skin is rather good. A good alternative to other setting powders.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2008 5:17:00 AM More reviews by Svetlana7311

I was not impressed when tried it a few times this summer. It did not work for me AT ALL with shiny euro sunscreens. I am using Dermalogica Dynamic Sunscreen for last 2 weeks and while it's not greasy and I do not really need to blot anything, I still use mix of arrowroot, rice and silk powder on top of it instead of a primer. This powder blend covers my pores and fine lines around mouth and makes them almost invisible, slight HG powder on top and I am good to go. No clogging or breaking out yet. I do not like arrowroot powder on it's own, it doesn't look good on me at all, it's like flour, sandy and patchy. I would like to mention again, arrowroot did not work with greasy sunscreens, it will turn into gravy on your face if you use it on top of something greasy. Rice/silk powder did way better job with shinier sunscreens and/or oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2008 5:18:00 PM More reviews by jmarie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

What a great find...thanks of course to the resourseful ladies here at MUA.

This white powdered surgar like substance feels great on the skin.

I put it over sun screen and it takes away that tacky feeling and leaves a matt, but not cakey finish.

I used a brush to apply then pressed it in with a flocked sponge.

I transfered some from my big bottle into a a sifter container.

Found at Safeway in the spice section for less then $4.00

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2008 7:17:00 AM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I would never have tried this if it weren't for MUA: particular thanks to abbyten and 70496 (and yakkoooew) on the boards, and the reviews here by RtiQlitQT. Good alternative to regular loose powder, or to talc-base alternatives such as cornstarch, rice, or silk powder. Indeed, several "natural" cosmetics brands are using arrowroot powder as the base for their powder cosmetics (face powder and eyeshadow for ex.)

Decanted to a sifter-jar, applied to face using brush or good microcellular-type sponge, this is the best translucent powder I have thus far ever used. Can also simply be tipped into palm of hand and used with the Clinique powder rub-down technique.

A short list of the many pros:

(1) Texture: extremely fine. Fills in all pores. Excellent on top of facial sunscreen, even quite a solid physical one (Lavera here).

(2) Colour: none at all. Great for setting whatever's underneath, without adding any colour to it - be that sunscreen, or foundation or other makeup. Brilliant on very pale skin - I find even the lightest powder colours show up on my skin, as do many "translucent" powders, and the pale/white ones tend to look like, well, I had an incident with a clown and some flour. I've also now tried the Arrowroot out on a few friends with a range of skin tones, and we're agreed that once on the skin, it's clear.

(3) Suitable for even very sensitive skin. Indeed, I found it soothing. Even when skin was in a very irritable phase (due to stupid optimistic experimentation with a Mexoryl sunscreen I've tried before, reacted then, reacted even more this time).

(4) Mattifies skin without dulling or drying it. (One could put on too much and be left a bit cakey, as is the case with any powder.)

(5) Cleans off easily with regular cleanser (oil then emulsifying ointment here).

(6) Very very cheap indeed. Available from most grocery stores, supermarkets, health food stores, etc. In the baking section, usually (due to mainstream culinary use as a thickener). A jar that's 3x the size of regular loose powder cost me EUR 1.80 - so probably in the region of GBP 1.20 or USD 2.50. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2008 10:44:00 PM More reviews by RtiQlitQT

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Yes, this is the same stuff as is commonly used as a thickening agent in cooking! It is a very fine white powder that has the "slip" of talc but is finer, sheerer and much more matte and absorbent. You can find it a multitude of places: healthfood stores, cooking supply stores, herbal supply sellers, eBay, etc.

I had used, and was very happy with, the pricey BE Mineral Veil until I found Rice Powder which also works better than Mineral Veil but not quite as well as Arrowroot. Rice Powder is also a bit more expensive. I have done side-by-side, day-long comparisons of all three and Arrowroot Powder won, hands down. Also, I am one of the people who has had an adverse reaction to BE Mineral Veil. I have had to have four comedones/obstructed sweat glands removed by a physician as a result of using this BE Mineral Veil.

I love Arrowroot Powder for it's fineness and for it's absorbent, mattifying properties. My face is oil free for 18 hours with NO blotting when I use this as a finishing powder. It only takes a small amount applied with a fluffy brush and does not look chalky. This can also be used as a primer like Rice Powder can, which is why I have included this review under this category.

Arrowroot Powder is dirt cheap, too! You can find this online in 1 oz., 2 oz., 4 oz., 1 lb., and larger, bags or in 20 oz. jars, etc. I bought a 1 oz. bag for less than $2 (including shipping) and I have been using it for a few months now! It would take years to use up a pound of it as a finishing powder, but you might want to buy a full pound for the cost savings and use the excess in your cooking. The going rate for a pound of it is less than $10 (including shipping).

I love this so much more than Mineral Veil and it seems to do an even better job for even less money than Rice Powder. I still have to blot my forehead after 8 hours, but I haven't found anything yet that mattifies as well.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No