October 1, 2014 | 1824 users online

Top/Base Coats - American Classics - Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2014 2:44:00 PM More reviews by Aishas28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Can I just say how much I LOVE this product??? I rarely write reviews but I just had to express my feelings for this miracle in a bottle. I was browsing through my pinterest when I came across the at home "gel hack." I'm one for constantly trying new things in the nail world and just had to test this thing out. So far I'm on day 6 of my manicure and I'm in awe of the lasting power. Normally I've been loving my Orly Bonder and Seche Vite as my HG products, which would give me a good 4 days (a first for me) but after trying this and having only 1 CHIP after 6 days of wear I am so pleasantly surprised, I don't even have wear on the edges. I think I found a new HG product!

I will say that I will play around with the formula as the one I have tried is a bit of a long process so I can't see myself doing this every week.....BUT don't get it confused that I still am in LOVE with this product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2014 1:08:00 PM More reviews by goodtiger

As a top coat it makes any polish under it last longer. Pedis for me last a good 3 weeks/manis a week or longer.
Thickens the nail and makes it look like a Gel Mani without the hassle of curing lamps and removal, and makes it uber shiny too.
I havent found it to be hard to remove with just plain acetone remover.

I use Revlon Colorstay Gel Basecoat, 2 coats of polish then one or two coats of Gelous.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2014 6:39:00 PM More reviews by loveintheasylum

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Lately I was fascinated in gel nails but I wasnt about spending a butt-ton of money at a salon with doing the UV thing, filing and just as excrutiating removal I heard about so I was definitely up for cheaper alternatives. Of course I come here because MUA has never steered me wrong, and again you girls still havent let me down yet. I wasnt aware they sold this at Sally beauty supply so I got it off of Amazon for $5.99 I believe. The bottle was quite big with an even wider brush which delighted me. Ok, so after I got my own trial and error routine down which is one coat Gelous + 2 coats whatever polish + 1 more of Gelous + 1 Seche Vite Quick Dry (review of that later) I was impressed. Now like I said, it's a trial and error: 2 coats will cause your mani to peel because the polish is thick and easily subceptible for water to get under it and cause it to seperate, especially if its hot water or even warm water..or if you're an OCD-ish frequent hand washer like me. The upside of this stuff is it makes cheapy nail polish look amazing, which reminds me: When it comes to NYX's Girls and WnW's Shine, no..oh, no. It doesn't stop them from chipping like whoa 2 or 3 days in. When used with Essie, Zoya and Sally Hansen, it makes moderately okay nails polishes just super, so I wonder what it'd be like with even higher end nail polishes? Anyway, it's a definite rebuy: Good price and as long don't use more than 2 top coats you're good to go.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2014 8:33:00 PM More reviews by edmineralsgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought a bottle of this for about $6 at Sally's.
Here's my routine:

1. Basecoat
2. Nail color
3. One thick layer of gelous
4. Seche Vite topcoat

This stuff is amazing! I've received so many compliments on how my nails look like salon done gel nails. My manis last up to 3 weeks without chipping. The brush is wide so one stroke will cover the whole nail bed. I've found it best to apply just one thick coat instead of multiple coats which create streakiness. Seche has been the best topcoat to use with this to quicken the drying process. Will definitely repurchase when I run out!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/2/2014 8:24:00 PM More reviews by eaorb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use this product to smooth down glitter-filled manicures. It dries very thick, and it takes forever to dry. That being said, it does work. However, I couldn't imagine letting this dry on its own (I usually have to put a coat of Seche Vite top coat on top to speed up the drying process).

rated 2 of 5 on 8/20/2014 7:33:00 PM More reviews by BumbleBees77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Gelous. I bought a bottle at Sally after many recommendations. I love how shiny it is when used in a sandwich mani and as a top coat. I love the way it makes my nail such a smooth surface to apply polish when used as a base coat. What I do not love is how it peels terribly after just a day or two of wear, how it takes so long to dry, and how it lasts nowhere near how long some reviews have claimed. Overall I'm disappointed. I will not be buying again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2014 8:43:00 PM More reviews by cuonbroadway

My first bottle broke within 24hrs of purchase. I think it was a flaw in the glass, because I dropped it less than 6 inches onto a relatively soft surface... :(

My 2nd bottle has been awesome. This is a thicker polish, which is where I think the "gel" aspect of the polish comes from. The trick with Gelous is to apply it in thinner coats - thick coats take eons to dry and tends to mess up your manicure. My first two times I applied thick coats and hated it, but when I tried thinner coats, it's been a dream. Be careful of getting polish around the mouth of the bottle because it can crust up.

Is it going to replace a true gel manicure? No way. It's going to make your at-home manicure last a bit longer, look a bit shinier, and feel a bit thicker. As someone who doesn't get professional manicures but wants a well-manicured look, I like it.

Overall it's a great value for the product. I've already purchased a second bottle for when the first one runs out :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2014 10:41:00 AM More reviews by yesitrejo

Great product! I used to get ONE day of no chips on my nails so I decided to do the gel polish but soon realized that it was a pain to take off. I saw this product of Pintrest and decided to give it a try. IT WORKS!!! I don't get two weeks out of it but I started this manicure on Sunday and it is now Wednesday and still on!!! I do apply my out the door top coat every morning just to help it a little but I'm so happy with it. I bought mine at Amazon for about $5

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2014 2:28:00 AM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I went to Sally's Beauty Supply to get some hair stuff. While I was there I asked the employee about gel kits. I had wanted to get into them because **NOTHING** stays on my nails. I can do just about anything at home and the nail polish is lucky to stay on my nails for two days. It sucks and it's stupid. I've tried buffing my nails, using nail polish remover before applying a base coat, and wrapping the polish around the tip of the nails. Does not work. I get chips and worn ends by day two at the latest.

This stuff is no exception to this. I was talked into buying the "Bridge the Ridge" base coat and "Gelous" top coat together. The employee claimed they were miracle workers. That my polish wouldn't last two weeks but I'd get at least something like 8 days. Oh boy was she wrong. I tried the base coat, Forever21 nail polish, and the Gelous top coat together. I tried getting open a seal on my Stridex Max pads. It bent my nail and peeled off about a good fourth of the nail polish. I then attempted to apply some polish last night because I had a concert today. I applied the base coat, Spoiled in "the parking meter expired", and Gelous for a top coat. Now I didn't just apply these all crazy and thick. I applied the base coat, thoroughly let it dry then proceeded to apply the nail polish layer by layer and letting it dry for a minimum of a half hour in between (only used 3 layers) then applied Gelous. I thought things were dry and I was fine because it was an hour later after the top coat was applied. Oh boy was I in for a treat and was wrong. I went to simply take my laundry from the washer and put it in the dryer. I smudged an entire nail. That's when I said "Screw it I'm done! This is going back!"

I seriously cannot get this junk to work for me. Also the top coat pulls off my nail polish with it when I try to apply it. Seriously a top coat is supposed to help your polish stay on. Not remove it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2014 6:20:00 PM More reviews by blankdreams

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

HG!!!! This stuff is seriously amazing. With Gelous, I can go about 7 days without chipping, as opposed to 1-2 days!!! AND there's no need for a UV light or a specific brand polish!

Here's my little nail routine, and how I use Gelous:

1. Apply CND Solar Oil to my cuticles and push my cuticles back, then wash hands.
2. Use one of the nail filing blocks that even out, smooth, buff, and shine nails on the tips of my nails, as well as the top of my nails.
3. Apply Orly Primetime
4. Apply one coat of Gelous
5. Apply one coat of whatever nail polish I'll be wearing
***If more coats are needed, repeat 4 & 5***
Whenever my nail polish is opaque, I do not apply a coat of Gelous before applying top coat; I put the top coat directly over the colored nail polish.
6. Apply top coat, my current favorite is NYC quick dry top coat.

With this routine, I get a minimum of 5 days with no chips, and usually get to about 7-8 days before any chipping occurs. This works with any brand of nail polish, and any top coat. Only downside is the very strong scent, but it's nothing I can't get past. This is not overly hard to remove, I just use generic nail polish remover with a cotton pad and it does the trick. However, if you use this with a glitter polish you'll probably have to use the foil technique, which you'd probably have to do as well even if you didn't use Gelous.

I recommend this to anyone who wants longer lasting manicures, similar to gel nails, for a fraction of the price at home! I will continue to buy it for as long as it's sold