October 30, 2014 | 1733 users online

Top/Base Coats - American Classics - Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2014 2:28:00 AM More reviews by Ferrishyn

Great base or top coat. I use this mostly as a glitter topper because it really smoothed out the texture and then I use a fast dry top coat over it. Lasts long and is very durable.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2014 6:13:00 PM More reviews by geekinpink

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok I'm a convert. I never really did my nails often since mine chip within a day or two. I've tried the gel nail hack going around Pinterest. http://www.mintarrow.com/2014/03/shellac-hack-make-your-polish-last-a-week.html I did it as follows: China Glaze strong Adhesion basecoat, Essie, Gelous, Essie, Gelous, Seche Vite. So I screwed up the order of the layers. Sounds like a lot of work but takes less time than driving to the salon :) and I have a steady hand.
My mani lasted a solid 5 days. It lasted through Thanksgiving Dinner, dishes, prep, etc. I easily could have gone another day or two but was getting some wear at my tips (I didn't wrap them when painting) and was eager to switch colours.
I'm trying again with Finger Paints, trying Gelous right after the basecoat and I wrapped the tips with the Seche Vite. Another tip: wipe nails with remover even if you're starting with bare nails.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2014 6:09:00 PM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

My favorite base coat! My nails last a good 6 days without chipping. Orly polishes usually dont last on me, but with this base coat, im finally using them again

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2014 10:01:00 AM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this basetop as a topcoat over glitter polish. I do not like gritty feeling nails. 1-2 coats of gelous and my nails are smooth as glass. Great wearing power, ususally get 4-5 days of chip free wear.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2014 9:41:00 AM More reviews by tsh1024

I never write reviews, but I see see this product filling a niche for those of us who love good manicures but can't do their nails every two days. Gelous simply worked wonders for me.

I've been doing my own manis on my natural nails for close to 20 years now--mostly because every time I go to a salon (cheap or high-end ) I look at my mani afterward and think, "Mine looks better." But, I'm a professional woman with a family, not a nail blogger, so I don't have time to do my nails every day. I need a polish to last 5-7 days (i.e. a work week) without major chipping.

Now, this isn't my first rodeo--I always use good manicure practices as well as a high quality base and top coats and wouldn't even *consider* doing my nails without them. After all these years I've learned that lasting power for nail polish seems to be basically a matter of body chemistry v product chemistry. For instance the following polishes chip on me in a matter of hours: OPI, Butter London, Chanel, Misa, China Glaze. The following polishes last reasonably well: Essie, Contrary Polish, Llarow, SH Salon Manicure, Deborah Lippman. As you can see from the mix of high and low-end, price has nothing to do with it and polishes that most people swear by (OPI, Chanel) chip on me in a few hours.

Enter Gelous: up until I used Gelous, I couldn't use OPI (huge color selection) or Chanel (stunning polishes, but too pricy to chip in five minutes). Here's what I do:

(prep: file, buff, cuticle care/moisture, wipe nailbed with acetone to prep)
1: (base) Gelous
2: Color
3: Gelous
4: Color
5: Top Coat (Glisten & Glow HK Girl, Out the Door, or CND Super Shiny)
All coats of color/Gelous are avereage in thickness--not too thin and not too thick.

Gelous worked for me beyond *all* my expectations. The first time I tried it, I used OPI's "Wooden Shoe Like to Know?" (dark brown shimmer) and my mani lasted five days with no chipping (some minimal tip wear). The same polish without Gelous, but still a quality BC/TC died at about 6 hours. Utterly amazing! I was astounded!

That doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you (note all the people who swear by OPI when I would only swear *AT* it!). But, Gelous is only $6 at Sally, so it's well worth it for those of you out there like me who need polish staying power to give it a try.

As long as I work for a living and can't sit at home all day and do my nails Gelous is a MUST-HAVE for my natural nails manis.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2014 2:44:00 PM More reviews by Aishas28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Can I just say how much I LOVE this product??? I rarely write reviews but I just had to express my feelings for this miracle in a bottle. I was browsing through my pinterest when I came across the at home "gel hack." I'm one for constantly trying new things in the nail world and just had to test this thing out. So far I'm on day 6 of my manicure and I'm in awe of the lasting power. Normally I've been loving my Orly Bonder and Seche Vite as my HG products, which would give me a good 4 days (a first for me) but after trying this and having only 1 CHIP after 6 days of wear I am so pleasantly surprised, I don't even have wear on the edges. I think I found a new HG product!

I will say that I will play around with the formula as the one I have tried is a bit of a long process so I can't see myself doing this every week.....BUT don't get it confused that I still am in LOVE with this product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2014 1:08:00 PM More reviews by goodtiger

As a top coat it makes any polish under it last longer. Pedis for me last a good 3 weeks/manis a week or longer.
Thickens the nail and makes it look like a Gel Mani without the hassle of curing lamps and removal, and makes it uber shiny too.
I havent found it to be hard to remove with just plain acetone remover.

I use Revlon Colorstay Gel Basecoat, 2 coats of polish then one or two coats of Gelous.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2014 6:39:00 PM More reviews by loveintheasylum

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Lately I was fascinated in gel nails but I wasnt about spending a butt-ton of money at a salon with doing the UV thing, filing and just as excrutiating removal I heard about so I was definitely up for cheaper alternatives. Of course I come here because MUA has never steered me wrong, and again you girls still havent let me down yet. I wasnt aware they sold this at Sally beauty supply so I got it off of Amazon for $5.99 I believe. The bottle was quite big with an even wider brush which delighted me. Ok, so after I got my own trial and error routine down which is one coat Gelous + 2 coats whatever polish + 1 more of Gelous + 1 Seche Vite Quick Dry (review of that later) I was impressed. Now like I said, it's a trial and error: 2 coats will cause your mani to peel because the polish is thick and easily subceptible for water to get under it and cause it to seperate, especially if its hot water or even warm water..or if you're an OCD-ish frequent hand washer like me. The upside of this stuff is it makes cheapy nail polish look amazing, which reminds me: When it comes to NYX's Girls and WnW's Shine, no..oh, no. It doesn't stop them from chipping like whoa 2 or 3 days in. When used with Essie, Zoya and Sally Hansen, it makes moderately okay nails polishes just super, so I wonder what it'd be like with even higher end nail polishes? Anyway, it's a definite rebuy: Good price and as long don't use more than 2 top coats you're good to go.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2014 8:33:00 PM More reviews by edmineralsgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought a bottle of this for about $6 at Sally's.
Here's my routine:

1. Basecoat
2. Nail color
3. One thick layer of gelous
4. Seche Vite topcoat

This stuff is amazing! I've received so many compliments on how my nails look like salon done gel nails. My manis last up to 3 weeks without chipping. The brush is wide so one stroke will cover the whole nail bed. I've found it best to apply just one thick coat instead of multiple coats which create streakiness. Seche has been the best topcoat to use with this to quicken the drying process. Will definitely repurchase when I run out!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/2/2014 8:24:00 PM More reviews by eaorb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use this product to smooth down glitter-filled manicures. It dries very thick, and it takes forever to dry. That being said, it does work. However, I couldn't imagine letting this dry on its own (I usually have to put a coat of Seche Vite top coat on top to speed up the drying process).