December 21, 2014 | 1359 users online

Top/Base Coats - American Classics - Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2014 11:40:00 AM More reviews by ColleenD113

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I first saw this on youtube, which is why i got it (The video is from Shades of Beauty, inc). I followed the lady's regime for nails. My nails are AMAZING!!! GELEOUS works along with the other products but instead of nail life or OPI Nail Envy, I use Nailtiques 2 formula. One of my nails cracked very low (my own fault) I patched it with a tea bag and crazy glue, and polished 3 coats of Geleous over it, and you can't even tell I cracked my nail, it completely covers over it! check out this video its very informative. Follow these steps and your nails will look AMAZING!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2014 9:33:00 PM More reviews by Corrina618

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One my 2nd bottle. You must use 2 or 3 coats but wow it makes a difference!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2014 11:30:00 AM More reviews by mardel3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

can I say this has been the worst nail product I have bought. I read many reviews which were very positive but I don't understand how anyone would find this to be a good gel polish. I applied it many ways but I still hate it. It takes forever to dry, it has no gel like feel or look to it after it dries. The only good thing was the price it cost me $4 at Sally's so it didn't hurt my pocket when I threw it out!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2014 9:04:00 PM More reviews by rhapsoden

I first saw this product on Pinterest and was curious. I purchased it for about $6 at Sally's. I read a few articles saying I should apply the Gelous between each layer but felt like that was waaaay too many steps.
My first application involved my Orly rubberized base coat, two coats of my nail polish, one coat of the Gelous, and one coat of my Essie top coat; only on additional step from what I usually do. I was THRILLED that after the second day, my nails where still glossy and chip-free! My polish lasted five days of dish washing, hand washing (I work in healthcare), and a crab festival.
My only gripe is that it's a little thick and takes a little longer to dry enough for me to do other activities. Otherwise, I would absolutely purchase it again. It definitely works and I am pleased with this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/9/2014 11:18:00 PM More reviews by monmellow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok so i honestly wanted to love this after reading all of the reviews on here, but so far i feel like i could take it or leave it. i've used it twice now (gelous base coat, 1 coat nail polish, 1 coat gelous, 1 coat nail polish, 1 coat seche site) and although it looks good, i don't see much of a difference between taking all of the above steps and simply doing 2 coats of polish topped off with seche vite (which has been my normal routine for a while now).

So overall, the extra time it takes to use gelous really does not seem worth it to me. i will say this though - the first time i used it with essie limo-scene which is a sheer and almost translucent colour. using gelous in between coats of this did help to eliminate streaking while still giving it a translucent look (which is what i was going for).

With this in mind, i will try it out again and maybe vary how i'm using it. that said, i just don't see what all the hype is about.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2014 2:28:00 AM More reviews by Ferrishyn

Great base or top coat. I use this mostly as a glitter topper because it really smoothed out the texture and then I use a fast dry top coat over it. Lasts long and is very durable.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2014 6:13:00 PM More reviews by geekinpink

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok I'm a convert. I never really did my nails often since mine chip within a day or two. I've tried the gel nail hack going around Pinterest. http://www.mintarrow.com/2014/03/shellac-hack-make-your-polish-last-a-week.html I did it as follows: China Glaze strong Adhesion basecoat, Essie, Gelous, Essie, Gelous, Seche Vite. So I screwed up the order of the layers. Sounds like a lot of work but takes less time than driving to the salon :) and I have a steady hand.
My mani lasted a solid 5 days. It lasted through Thanksgiving Dinner, dishes, prep, etc. I easily could have gone another day or two but was getting some wear at my tips (I didn't wrap them when painting) and was eager to switch colours.
I'm trying again with Finger Paints, trying Gelous right after the basecoat and I wrapped the tips with the Seche Vite. Another tip: wipe nails with remover even if you're starting with bare nails.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2014 6:09:00 PM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My favorite base coat! My nails last a good 6 days without chipping. Orly polishes usually dont last on me, but with this base coat, im finally using them again

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2014 10:01:00 AM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this basetop as a topcoat over glitter polish. I do not like gritty feeling nails. 1-2 coats of gelous and my nails are smooth as glass. Great wearing power, ususally get 4-5 days of chip free wear.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2014 9:41:00 AM More reviews by tsh1024

I never write reviews, but I see see this product filling a niche for those of us who love good manicures but can't do their nails every two days. Gelous simply worked wonders for me.

I've been doing my own manis on my natural nails for close to 20 years now--mostly because every time I go to a salon (cheap or high-end ) I look at my mani afterward and think, "Mine looks better." But, I'm a professional woman with a family, not a nail blogger, so I don't have time to do my nails every day. I need a polish to last 5-7 days (i.e. a work week) without major chipping.

Now, this isn't my first rodeo--I always use good manicure practices as well as a high quality base and top coats and wouldn't even *consider* doing my nails without them. After all these years I've learned that lasting power for nail polish seems to be basically a matter of body chemistry v product chemistry. For instance the following polishes chip on me in a matter of hours: OPI, Butter London, Chanel, Misa, China Glaze. The following polishes last reasonably well: Essie, Contrary Polish, Llarow, SH Salon Manicure, Deborah Lippman. As you can see from the mix of high and low-end, price has nothing to do with it and polishes that most people swear by (OPI, Chanel) chip on me in a few hours.

Enter Gelous: up until I used Gelous, I couldn't use OPI (huge color selection) or Chanel (stunning polishes, but too pricy to chip in five minutes). Here's what I do:

(prep: file, buff, cuticle care/moisture, wipe nailbed with acetone to prep)
1: (base) Gelous
2: Color
3: Gelous
4: Color
5: Top Coat (Glisten & Glow HK Girl, Out the Door, or CND Super Shiny)
All coats of color/Gelous are avereage in thickness--not too thin and not too thick.

Gelous worked for me beyond *all* my expectations. The first time I tried it, I used OPI's "Wooden Shoe Like to Know?" (dark brown shimmer) and my mani lasted five days with no chipping (some minimal tip wear). The same polish without Gelous, but still a quality BC/TC died at about 6 hours. Utterly amazing! I was astounded!

That doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you (note all the people who swear by OPI when I would only swear *AT* it!). But, Gelous is only $6 at Sally, so it's well worth it for those of you out there like me who need polish staying power to give it a try.

As long as I work for a living and can't sit at home all day and do my nails Gelous is a MUST-HAVE for my natural nails manis.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No