American Classics - Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat

butyl acetate, ethyl acetate, nitrocellulose, phthalic anhydride/trimellitic anhydride/glycols copolymer, acetyl tributyl citrate, stearalkonium hectorate, camphor, etocrylene, hydrolized keratin, calcium pantothnate

on 5/8/2015 5:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Gelous is, for me, a miracle product. I've been wearing the same polish for four days with minimal tip wear. I've tried several other base coats and never found any that gave me more that 24 hours before chipping.

on 4/13/2015 4:49:00 PM

After all the stellar reviews I just had to get my hands on this stuff! So I was able to pick it up from my local Sallys. I don't remember the price but it was cheap :)
So after several manicures, trying various techniques, I am extremely underwhelmed. I was meticulous in ensuring my nails were clean and oil-free before applying. I managed 3 days before the first irritating chips appeared, it was all downhill after that. I expected my mani to last at least 4 days before major chipping. I got that with my cheapest base coat. Maybe it's me but this product was a fail and I will try something else with hopes for better results.

2 stars only because it applies smoothly and I had a great finish - too bad it didn't last...

on 4/13/2015 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Short of receiving a defective bottle, I am completely lost as to how my results skewed so far from the others. I followed many reviewers' instructions to a T, used good quality polish, and handled my nails (and hands with care). So, you can imagine my surprise when my polish not only bleed (both Maybelline Color Show on my toes and Ciate Ice Cream Nail on my hands) onto the brush as I applied, but I got major chippage within 2 days. Sure, it left a nice shine and the brush is amazing at smooth application, but I feel so disappointed! A coworker of mine showed up using CND's Vinylux and after a week, her nails look great (and professionally done) so I will try that one out instead.

on 2/26/2015 8:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This is my HG basecoat and I've been using it for several years now. My manicures wear like iron with this and it's cheap at Sally's so it's a win-win for me. It makes my nails a lot stronger too. Love it!

on 2/26/2015 7:45:00 AM

Ugh... I used my normal OPI nail strengther then a coat of this. I allowed it to dry for a couple of minutes and polished with 2 coats of China glaze. Used my normal Seche Ultra-v top coat and cured for 5 minutes under UV lamps. When I do this without using this as a base coat I am dry enough to take a nap within an hour with no sheet marks. With this one I got sheet marks even though I painted my nails 5-6 hours before bed! Usually I get 3-4 days out of my mani with only slight tip wear. With this at day 2 started getting large chips. By day 3 Ive got 5 fingers with very large chips. Won't be using this again.

on 2/21/2015 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I am editing this review as my original review was written after I had taken off my salon gel nails and tried gelous. I believe that while my nails were that thin and flexible, the gelous product didn't work well and no matter how I tried to apply it, the paint was peeling after day 2. However, I kept trying it and as my nails grew in healthier (after damage from salon) the gelous product did help my manicure last longer. To be clear, the effects do not last nearly as long as a salon gel manicure- but it keeps my nails looking smooth and not peeling for maybe 4 days. The best part is that when you first apply in this order- 1 coat gelous, 2 coats essie polish (or other nice brand) and one coat of seche vite, it looks beautiful like salon quality. Shiny and smooth. So its wonderful for a date night or weekend. But don't expect it to last longer than 3-4 days chip free from my experience. I would continue to buy just because it helps my manicures look so nice and lasts a tad longer than normal.

on 2/21/2015 10:42:00 AM

I purchased this product as so many positive reviews and having high hope that it will smooth out my glitter nail perfectly. My bottle is very pricey as I'm not in US, it cost me $20.

I am so disappointed that it never works for me. It takes forever to dry, even I applied it hours before I go to bed, it usually turned out smudged when waked up. I neither get perfectly even surface with this nail polish. I tried it with CND top coat then OPI drip-dry, 3 coats of Gelous has no improvement at all even on small glitter nails. Then I tried it with Seche Vite, without OPI drip-dry, it smudged so badly, and still bumpy.

I found that Drip-dry did not cope with any gel effect nail polish, it shrinks the thickness I built up and always turns out bumpy after dried. However Seche Vite with my Nail Inc Gel-effect Kensington top coat works really well, I finally got perfectly shine and even surface, and Nails Inc dries much quicker then Gelous.

To gals in US, Nails Inc may be quite expensive as it is $15+ per bottle, comparing with Gelous. However to me, they cost almost the same.

on 12/17/2014 11:40:00 AM

I first saw this on youtube, which is why i got it (The video is from Shades of Beauty, inc). I followed the lady's regime for nails. My nails are AMAZING!!! GELEOUS works along with the other products but instead of nail life or OPI Nail Envy, I use Nailtiques 2 formula. One of my nails cracked very low (my own fault) I patched it with a tea bag and crazy glue, and polished 3 coats of Geleous over it, and you can't even tell I cracked my nail, it completely covers over it! check out this video its very informative. Follow these steps and your nails will look AMAZING!

on 11/18/2014 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

One my 2nd bottle. You must use 2 or 3 coats but wow it makes a difference!

on 11/18/2014 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

can I say this has been the worst nail product I have bought. I read many reviews which were very positive but I don't understand how anyone would find this to be a good gel polish. I applied it many ways but I still hate it. It takes forever to dry, it has no gel like feel or look to it after it dries. The only good thing was the price it cost me $4 at Sally's so it didn't hurt my pocket when I threw it out!