February 27, 2015 | 1225 users online

Top/Base Coats - American Classics - Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2015 8:15:00 AM More reviews by kahou79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my HG basecoat and I've been using it for several years now. My manicures wear like iron with this and it's cheap at Sally's so it's a win-win for me. It makes my nails a lot stronger too. Love it!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/26/2015 7:45:00 AM More reviews by Jlmason

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Ugh... I used my normal OPI nail strengther then a coat of this. I allowed it to dry for a couple of minutes and polished with 2 coats of China glaze. Used my normal Seche Ultra-v top coat and cured for 5 minutes under UV lamps. When I do this without using this as a base coat I am dry enough to take a nap within an hour with no sheet marks. With this one I got sheet marks even though I painted my nails 5-6 hours before bed! Usually I get 3-4 days out of my mani with only slight tip wear. With this at day 2 started getting large chips. By day 3 Ive got 5 fingers with very large chips. Won't be using this again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2015 10:08:00 PM More reviews by MBROOKS425

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was really disappointed in this product. I didn't expect it to last nearly as long as a real gel manicure, but I expected it to not chip for 3 days. Nope. I have tried this many different ways (first gelous as base coat, then Essie color coat, gelous, then Essie and then seche vite quick dry top coat. Then I tried gelous, 2 coats of Essie and seche vite top coat) either way, the paint started peeling on day 2. I was better off just doing 2 coats of Essie and a normal top coat (usually Sally Hansen) the ONLY reason I would buy this again is that for the first day- your nails look amazingly smooth, better than most salon manicures. So if I needed my nails to look amazing and smooth as glass for a special event, I would use the gelous. However for longevity, pffffttt.. Fail.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/21/2015 10:42:00 AM More reviews by Pruexy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I purchased this product as so many positive reviews and having high hope that it will smooth out my glitter nail perfectly. My bottle is very pricey as I'm not in US, it cost me $20.

I am so disappointed that it never works for me. It takes forever to dry, even I applied it hours before I go to bed, it usually turned out smudged when waked up. I neither get perfectly even surface with this nail polish. I tried it with CND top coat then OPI drip-dry, 3 coats of Gelous has no improvement at all even on small glitter nails. Then I tried it with Seche Vite, without OPI drip-dry, it smudged so badly, and still bumpy.

I found that Drip-dry did not cope with any gel effect nail polish, it shrinks the thickness I built up and always turns out bumpy after dried. However Seche Vite with my Nail Inc Gel-effect Kensington top coat works really well, I finally got perfectly shine and even surface, and Nails Inc dries much quicker then Gelous.

To gals in US, Nails Inc may be quite expensive as it is $15+ per bottle, comparing with Gelous. However to me, they cost almost the same.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2014 11:40:00 AM More reviews by ColleenD113

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I first saw this on youtube, which is why i got it (The video is from Shades of Beauty, inc). I followed the lady's regime for nails. My nails are AMAZING!!! GELEOUS works along with the other products but instead of nail life or OPI Nail Envy, I use Nailtiques 2 formula. One of my nails cracked very low (my own fault) I patched it with a tea bag and crazy glue, and polished 3 coats of Geleous over it, and you can't even tell I cracked my nail, it completely covers over it! check out this video its very informative. Follow these steps and your nails will look AMAZING!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2014 9:33:00 PM More reviews by Corrina618

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One my 2nd bottle. You must use 2 or 3 coats but wow it makes a difference!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2014 11:30:00 AM More reviews by mardel3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

can I say this has been the worst nail product I have bought. I read many reviews which were very positive but I don't understand how anyone would find this to be a good gel polish. I applied it many ways but I still hate it. It takes forever to dry, it has no gel like feel or look to it after it dries. The only good thing was the price it cost me $4 at Sally's so it didn't hurt my pocket when I threw it out!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2014 9:04:00 PM More reviews by rhapsoden

I first saw this product on Pinterest and was curious. I purchased it for about $6 at Sally's. I read a few articles saying I should apply the Gelous between each layer but felt like that was waaaay too many steps.
My first application involved my Orly rubberized base coat, two coats of my nail polish, one coat of the Gelous, and one coat of my Essie top coat; only on additional step from what I usually do. I was THRILLED that after the second day, my nails where still glossy and chip-free! My polish lasted five days of dish washing, hand washing (I work in healthcare), and a crab festival.
My only gripe is that it's a little thick and takes a little longer to dry enough for me to do other activities. Otherwise, I would absolutely purchase it again. It definitely works and I am pleased with this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/9/2014 11:18:00 PM More reviews by monmellow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok so i honestly wanted to love this after reading all of the reviews on here, but so far i feel like i could take it or leave it. i've used it twice now (gelous base coat, 1 coat nail polish, 1 coat gelous, 1 coat nail polish, 1 coat seche site) and although it looks good, i don't see much of a difference between taking all of the above steps and simply doing 2 coats of polish topped off with seche vite (which has been my normal routine for a while now).

So overall, the extra time it takes to use gelous really does not seem worth it to me. i will say this though - the first time i used it with essie limo-scene which is a sheer and almost translucent colour. using gelous in between coats of this did help to eliminate streaking while still giving it a translucent look (which is what i was going for).

With this in mind, i will try it out again and maybe vary how i'm using it. that said, i just don't see what all the hype is about.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2014 2:28:00 AM More reviews by Ferrishyn

Great base or top coat. I use this mostly as a glitter topper because it really smoothed out the texture and then I use a fast dry top coat over it. Lasts long and is very durable.