American Classics - Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat

3.9

butyl acetate, ethyl acetate, nitrocellulose, phthalic anhydride/trimellitic anhydride/glycols copolymer, acetyl tributyl citrate, stearalkonium hectorate, camphor, etocrylene, hydrolized keratin, calcium pantothnate

on 4/13/2015 4:49:00 PM

After all the stellar reviews I just had to get my hands on this stuff! So I was able to pick it up from my local Sallys. I don't remember the price but it was cheap :)
So after several manicures, trying various techniques, I am extremely underwhelmed. I was meticulous in ensuring my nails were clean and oil-free before applying. I managed 3 days before the first irritating chips appeared, it was all downhill after that. I expected my mani to last at least 4 days before major chipping. I got that with my cheapest base coat. Maybe it's me but this product was a fail and I will try something else with hopes for better results.

2 stars only because it applies smoothly and I had a great finish - too bad it didn't last...

on 4/13/2015 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Short of receiving a defective bottle, I am completely lost as to how my results skewed so far from the others. I followed many reviewers' instructions to a T, used good quality polish, and handled my nails (and hands with care). So, you can imagine my surprise when my polish not only bleed (both Maybelline Color Show on my toes and Ciate Ice Cream Nail on my hands) onto the brush as I applied, but I got major chippage within 2 days. Sure, it left a nice shine and the brush is amazing at smooth application, but I feel so disappointed! A coworker of mine showed up using CND's Vinylux and after a week, her nails look great (and professionally done) so I will try that one out instead.

on 2/26/2015 8:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This is my HG basecoat and I've been using it for several years now. My manicures wear like iron with this and it's cheap at Sally's so it's a win-win for me. It makes my nails a lot stronger too. Love it!

on 2/26/2015 7:45:00 AM

Ugh... I used my normal OPI nail strengther then a coat of this. I allowed it to dry for a couple of minutes and polished with 2 coats of China glaze. Used my normal Seche Ultra-v top coat and cured for 5 minutes under UV lamps. When I do this without using this as a base coat I am dry enough to take a nap within an hour with no sheet marks. With this one I got sheet marks even though I painted my nails 5-6 hours before bed! Usually I get 3-4 days out of my mani with only slight tip wear. With this at day 2 started getting large chips. By day 3 Ive got 5 fingers with very large chips. Won't be using this again.

on 2/21/2015 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was really disappointed in this product. I didn't expect it to last nearly as long as a real gel manicure, but I expected it to not chip for 3 days. Nope. I have tried this many different ways (first gelous as base coat, then Essie color coat, gelous, then Essie and then seche vite quick dry top coat. Then I tried gelous, 2 coats of Essie and seche vite top coat) either way, the paint started peeling on day 2. I was better off just doing 2 coats of Essie and a normal top coat (usually Sally Hansen) the ONLY reason I would buy this again is that for the first day- your nails look amazingly smooth, better than most salon manicures. So if I needed my nails to look amazing and smooth as glass for a special event, I would use the gelous. However for longevity, pffffttt.. Fail.

on 2/21/2015 10:42:00 AM

I purchased this product as so many positive reviews and having high hope that it will smooth out my glitter nail perfectly. My bottle is very pricey as I'm not in US, it cost me $20.

I am so disappointed that it never works for me. It takes forever to dry, even I applied it hours before I go to bed, it usually turned out smudged when waked up. I neither get perfectly even surface with this nail polish. I tried it with CND top coat then OPI drip-dry, 3 coats of Gelous has no improvement at all even on small glitter nails. Then I tried it with Seche Vite, without OPI drip-dry, it smudged so badly, and still bumpy.

I found that Drip-dry did not cope with any gel effect nail polish, it shrinks the thickness I built up and always turns out bumpy after dried. However Seche Vite with my Nail Inc Gel-effect Kensington top coat works really well, I finally got perfectly shine and even surface, and Nails Inc dries much quicker then Gelous.

To gals in US, Nails Inc may be quite expensive as it is $15+ per bottle, comparing with Gelous. However to me, they cost almost the same.

on 12/17/2014 11:40:00 AM

I first saw this on youtube, which is why i got it (The video is from Shades of Beauty, inc). I followed the lady's regime for nails. My nails are AMAZING!!! GELEOUS works along with the other products but instead of nail life or OPI Nail Envy, I use Nailtiques 2 formula. One of my nails cracked very low (my own fault) I patched it with a tea bag and crazy glue, and polished 3 coats of Geleous over it, and you can't even tell I cracked my nail, it completely covers over it! check out this video its very informative. Follow these steps and your nails will look AMAZING!

on 11/18/2014 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

One my 2nd bottle. You must use 2 or 3 coats but wow it makes a difference!

on 11/18/2014 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

can I say this has been the worst nail product I have bought. I read many reviews which were very positive but I don't understand how anyone would find this to be a good gel polish. I applied it many ways but I still hate it. It takes forever to dry, it has no gel like feel or look to it after it dries. The only good thing was the price it cost me $4 at Sally's so it didn't hurt my pocket when I threw it out!

on 11/14/2014 9:04:00 PM

I first saw this product on Pinterest and was curious. I purchased it for about $6 at Sally's. I read a few articles saying I should apply the Gelous between each layer but felt like that was waaaay too many steps.
My first application involved my Orly rubberized base coat, two coats of my nail polish, one coat of the Gelous, and one coat of my Essie top coat; only on additional step from what I usually do. I was THRILLED that after the second day, my nails where still glossy and chip-free! My polish lasted five days of dish washing, hand washing (I work in healthcare), and a crab festival.
My only gripe is that it's a little thick and takes a little longer to dry enough for me to do other activities. Otherwise, I would absolutely purchase it again. It definitely works and I am pleased with this product.