July 31, 2014 | 1940 users online

Top/Base Coats - American Classics - Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2014 10:41:00 AM More reviews by yesitrejo

Great product! I used to get ONE day of no chips on my nails so I decided to do the gel polish but soon realized that it was a pain to take off. I saw this product of Pintrest and decided to give it a try. IT WORKS!!! I don't get two weeks out of it but I started this manicure on Sunday and it is now Wednesday and still on!!! I do apply my out the door top coat every morning just to help it a little but I'm so happy with it. I bought mine at Amazon for about $5

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2014 2:28:00 AM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I went to Sally's Beauty Supply to get some hair stuff. While I was there I asked the employee about gel kits. I had wanted to get into them because **NOTHING** stays on my nails. I can do just about anything at home and the nail polish is lucky to stay on my nails for two days. It sucks and it's stupid. I've tried buffing my nails, using nail polish remover before applying a base coat, and wrapping the polish around the tip of the nails. Does not work. I get chips and worn ends by day two at the latest.

This stuff is no exception to this. I was talked into buying the "Bridge the Ridge" base coat and "Gelous" top coat together. The employee claimed they were miracle workers. That my polish wouldn't last two weeks but I'd get at least something like 8 days. Oh boy was she wrong. I tried the base coat, Forever21 nail polish, and the Gelous top coat together. I tried getting open a seal on my Stridex Max pads. It bent my nail and peeled off about a good fourth of the nail polish. I then attempted to apply some polish last night because I had a concert today. I applied the base coat, Spoiled in "the parking meter expired", and Gelous for a top coat. Now I didn't just apply these all crazy and thick. I applied the base coat, thoroughly let it dry then proceeded to apply the nail polish layer by layer and letting it dry for a minimum of a half hour in between (only used 3 layers) then applied Gelous. I thought things were dry and I was fine because it was an hour later after the top coat was applied. Oh boy was I in for a treat and was wrong. I went to simply take my laundry from the washer and put it in the dryer. I smudged an entire nail. That's when I said "Screw it I'm done! This is going back!"

I seriously cannot get this junk to work for me. Also the top coat pulls off my nail polish with it when I try to apply it. Seriously a top coat is supposed to help your polish stay on. Not remove it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2014 6:20:00 PM More reviews by blankdreams

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

HG!!!! This stuff is seriously amazing. With Gelous, I can go about 7 days without chipping, as opposed to 1-2 days!!! AND there's no need for a UV light or a specific brand polish!

Here's my little nail routine, and how I use Gelous:

1. Apply CND Solar Oil to my cuticles and push my cuticles back, then wash hands.
2. Use one of the nail filing blocks that even out, smooth, buff, and shine nails on the tips of my nails, as well as the top of my nails.
3. Apply Orly Primetime
4. Apply one coat of Gelous
5. Apply one coat of whatever nail polish I'll be wearing
***If more coats are needed, repeat 4 & 5***
Whenever my nail polish is opaque, I do not apply a coat of Gelous before applying top coat; I put the top coat directly over the colored nail polish.
6. Apply top coat, my current favorite is NYC quick dry top coat.

With this routine, I get a minimum of 5 days with no chips, and usually get to about 7-8 days before any chipping occurs. This works with any brand of nail polish, and any top coat. Only downside is the very strong scent, but it's nothing I can't get past. This is not overly hard to remove, I just use generic nail polish remover with a cotton pad and it does the trick. However, if you use this with a glitter polish you'll probably have to use the foil technique, which you'd probably have to do as well even if you didn't use Gelous.

I recommend this to anyone who wants longer lasting manicures, similar to gel nails, for a fraction of the price at home! I will continue to buy it for as long as it's sold

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2014 7:01:00 PM More reviews by stream27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This and my UDPP are now tied for my favourite cosmetics items. This stuff is like nail polish glue.

I've always had problems with textured polishes and dense glitters. No matter what topcoat and basecoat I used with them, I would ALWAYS get chipping within 24 hours. Noticeable chipping. The kind of chipping where you go "eh, might as well just remove it because now it looks like crap." Gelous is a godsend.

I either use it as a base on it's own, or on top of an extra calcium base. Then I apply however many coats of whatever polish overtop. Then another layer of Gelous (or two if it's a really thirsty glitter). Then a layer of quickdry topcoat. I've never had polish hold up this well before, especially the aforementioned glitters and textures. I'm so happy that I can wear all the glitters that I normally avoid reaching for because they chip so quickly.

As wonderful and magical as it is, there are a couple small downsides. The price is a little more than I like to spend (anywhere from $14-$16 CAD here if it's not on sale), and if you're using it as a topcoat, the dry time can be rather long, which is why I usually put an additional fast dry topcoat on as well.

However, to me, these are small things that are not even close to dealbreakers. I think I'm going to start ordering it in bulk online, so that'll bring the price down, and as far as needing an extra fast dry topcoat, I've found there's really no difference in wear if I use a cheap one or a more expensive one. The Gelous provides the durability, while the extra coat just helps it dry faster, so I don't mind buying an extra cheap product just to have faster drying time if it means I can wear a bunch of glitters that I bought that were borderline unwearable because they chipped so quickly.

Also adding that the brush Gelous has is rather wide, wider than the Sally Hansen Insta-Dries and wider than the OPI Pro brushes, so that could be a bad thing for some people. If you have small nails, it might be worth checking out the brush in the store before you buy just to make sure it'll work for you. I love it as it means I can coat my whole nail in two strokes, and I'm betting many could get by with just one. The large brush is just another positive selling feature for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2014 5:43:00 AM More reviews by elfelettem

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I've been messing around with UV top coats good for a day and then flakes off, gel colours (which I love but which are a PITA to remove) and then just neglecting my nails.

I bought some Gelous based on some reviews and have been trying that sandwiching method (gelous as a base coat, alternate with my colour, seche vite as a top coat) and I have to say its pretty good. Not quite as shiny as Shellac but if I don't have problems getting this off then I'm sold anyway.

I'm at the PM of the third day of this mani and no chips, flakes or etc. This is unheard of for me. I'm going to try this with more of my polishes but I have to say this has been a real eye opener for me and I'm really looking forward to getting more use out of some of my polishes and having them last for more than a day!

Edit: this works better with some of my polishes than other. I can get up to three days of wear, but with some I only get one. is a bit hit and miss so i'm going to be trying a few things to see what works. I have to take down a lippie though, its great, i'd repurchase but its not fantastic.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/13/2014 8:40:00 PM More reviews by GreenFruit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

So disappointed in this. I tried it with 4 different manicures, as a base coat and a top coat, as well as sandwiching it. My nails chipped the following day every time. I will return this and stay with my HG revlon colorstay base coat and extra life top coat.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/25/2013 7:13:00 PM More reviews by Clover04750

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought this for about $7 because a sales person in Sally's suggested it. I don't think it shines anymore than any other topcoat you'd pay $5+ for. It smeared my stripe rite designs and polish together, so I'm going to have to start over from scratch. I'm going to try it on plain nails and then add designs after the gelous drys. As of right now, I'm not impressed. So far, I feel like I've wasted my money. I'll give it another shot though. Everyone else seems to love it so much.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2013 5:59:00 PM More reviews by Meleana

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

For the first time in years I'm interested in keeping polish on my fingernails with this product! I have the type of nails that polish typically chips off my fingernails in 1 to 2 days. A manicure was a special occasion treat. I type all day with my job, so I still get tip wear with this, but the rest of the polish stays intact for up to a week. This is fantastic for me!

I use the method of sandwiching it between layers of my polish, then topping off with a final coat of Seche Vite. I'm going to experiment with doing a better job of wrapping my tips to see if I can even eliminate the tip wear. This is all nothing short of a miracle for me. I have used the Barielle manicure extender, which is also a great nail hardener, but that's only for touchups on dry nails, and it also has a tendency to form a yellow cast on my nails. I think this with another coat of top coat is a great way to touch up after a couple of days.

Love this stuff!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 8:33:00 PM More reviews by wendigrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ive had a bottle of this for 2 years and never used it! Yikes thats bad I know. As a nail polish junkie I had read about this on a blog somewhere Im sure, picked it up when I saw it at Sallys and put it away in one of my bins full of polish. Never to be seen again. That is until 3 nights ago when I was digging around for some colors to do a halloween manicure. Now lately I had been a total convert to doing gel manicures. No chip and amazing shine. Its no wonder my regular polish collection was being seriously neglected for years. Any way I grabbed this with my other colors and I am impressed!! My nails are.super shiny and hard. My chunky glitter manicure looks great and smooth. I would compare the glossiness to a true uv gel topcoat. And thats saying something!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2013 11:47:00 AM More reviews by ambernash1229

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

As a bartender, my nails break, chip, and are very brittle. I started using gelous advanced nail gel coat to do my own uv free shellac nails. I absolutely love it. I have had no problem with my nails breaking or chipping. I have actually had to start filing my nails down because the are growing so well.
I put down the gel coat as a base, two coats of colored polish, two coats of gel, then top it with a quick dry top coat. My polish last for at least two weeks before having to redo them. It will chip slightly on the tips after about a week. It is really easy to get off with just a cotton swab and acetone. It takes no longer than removing nail polish.For me, this method works way better than an acrylic manicure and is extremely less expensive when compared to shellac or acrylic nails.