September 19, 2014 | 1832 users online

Powder - MAC - Mineralize SPF15

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2010 3:38:00 AM More reviews by sistahmaybelline

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I got this in the loose version in the shade Deep Dark, which just so happened to be mistake #1. This had been my very, very, very first MAC purchase and I was expecting great things from this product. I decided to get this one because the Bare Minerals was overhyped and too red. The MUA at the local department store said that Dark (i think that's the shade lighter than deep dark) was too light. Now that I look back on it, she was so wrong. I felt confident in her recommendation that the deep dark matched perfectly, so I purchased it. Well a few days later I tried it on and it did match perfectly. Yay! However, that was mistake #2. After about 30 minutes, the color adjusted to a burnt black brown. Eww! I looked liked burnt toast. Not cute. Im around Tia and Tamara (Sister Sister) skin tone and color. I am still highly upset that the color oxided that darkly on me. I should've read other reviews on here first because this mu clearly has a history of turning into unflattering colors. So I will be returning this and probably be going back to drug store makeup. So sad, but cheaper on my pocketbook.

**Update** 12/02/2010
So I reconsidered trying MAC seeing that my very first experience was a disaster. I went back and got a sample of this in Dark. I now know that MAC foundations like to oxidize so when I put this on, it made me look pale and dusty. Also it didn't cover any blemishes or acne scars. Eventually it oxidized to an acceptable color. However, I still won't purchase this again because it has no staying power and it covers nothing.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2009 11:06:00 PM More reviews by mdeltoro

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i wanted a powder to set my studio fix fluid and had been using the blot powder (great for the nose and midday touch ups but i didnt much care to use it all over). i tried the pressed mineralize skinfinish natural before this and didnt care for the application---the cake yielded wayyy too much product for my liking and my face looked mask like. not only that but my pressed skinfinish SHATTERED within a couple hours of me having it. the dome was crumbly and delicate so i wasnt too surprised.

that said, i marched right back to my mac counter and the gal handed me the LOOSE version (MEDIUM DARK for my nc37 skin). much nicer. im not afraid of breaking it (cause it;s loose...) and it leaves me with a subtle glow that isnt as matte as the blot powder or sheer select loose and pressed. the artist at my counter told me she prefers the mineralize loose and uses it on brides all the time. i can totally see why, my skin looks so pretty!

also, like everyone else i dont care for the caplicator but really i've NEVER been fond of any product's built in sponge/brush thingies. even in compacts i just throw them away and stick to my own brushes and such. i've been applying this with my knock-off beauty blender, like my favorite gurus suggested and it fits PERFECTLY into the little sifter.

all in all this is my new favorite powder. i will repurchase again and again and again.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/30/2008 8:34:00 AM More reviews by iindibaby

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I learnt something the hard way with this powder-u have to be careful to use it only on completely dry skin. If you use a moisturizer under this, make sure the moisturizer dries completely before applying this powder or you will appear like u have a MASK!
otherwise, besides this, it is the greatest. I found this out when my friend kept asking me what I keep using on my face that makes it look dull and masky. For the longest time i did not understand, until i went to a MAC counter overseas in India and showed her my compact and asked her if I was doing something wrong. She took one look at the compact and knew as blackish stuff very slight was visible on the powder. She said this was due to moisture and the same thing will happen to ur face if u have moisture on it....imagine that!!
Hope this helps

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2008 2:52:00 AM More reviews by Eugeniet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought the compact powder in Medium Plus to go with my Mineralize NC30 foundation. So far I really like this - it is much creamier than the other MAC powders. I apply it with a MAC Kabuki brush, and you have to be quite light handed, as you can pick up too much powder quite easily. I'v got a fairly dry skin, and this has lasted all day without looking powdery or caked on, like some others I've tried.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2008 10:25:00 PM More reviews by bellefranjic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

What a total disappointment. I agree with other reviewers that this powder has very poor coverage and makes the skin look extremely chalky. It makes my make-up appear caked on, which is a huge no-no. I definitely won't buy this again.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2008 6:03:00 AM More reviews by got_pink

i love all mac foundations because oddly enough, they never break me out. so when they came out with a mineral powder foundation, i knew i absolutely had to try it. unfortunately i was not impressed. i tried it a total of three times and then forgot about it completely. while the medium plus is a perfect match for my NC35-NC37 skintone, the coverage kind of sucked. it was buildable, but i noticed that the more you add on, the more powdery your face becomes, making it extremely noticeable that you're wearing powder foundation. i wanted so badly to love this, unfortunately i was disappointed.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2008 7:29:00 PM More reviews by hapapower

I am a true MAC addict and wanted so badly to like this. I was alarmed, though, by the fact that this had bismuth as well as wheat germ oil. So the bismuth could kick up my allergic dermatitis and the wheat germ oil could break me out...yay...One of the reasons why I had switched from BE MMU was because of the bismuth. I was on a quest to find the purest MMU and loved EM when I found it. Despite all the ingredients in MAC's formulation, I was compelled to try this...

I only got a sample to try so I wasn't subjected to the ridiculous packaging and applicator which houses this product.

Well, the coverage is light to medium, which doesn't work for me since I was using MMU as concealer only (I have since switched completely over to liquid concealer). And I didn't like the dry texture of this.

Though I didn't break out, I am freaked out by the ingredients so I wouldn't want to keep using it anyway (but I only used it on the area under my eyes and completely avoided my chin since it's the area most prone to breakouts)...

Generally speaking, I avoid all MAC skincare and face products because even though they claim these products are non-acnegenic, the ingredients reveal otherwise...So I'm just going to stick to their color cosmetics (e/s, e/s, blush, l/s, l/g)...

rated 2 of 5 on 5/9/2008 8:36:00 AM More reviews by mniehle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OK, I am so suprised to not see updates on this product. I started to break out with lots of pimples after using this product for a week. It started out with one and I should have realized then. I normally do not get more than one or two pimples at a time. So, I knew it had to be from the wheat germ oil in this product. Aside from having to run to my skin person to fix this mess, I thought the product was really one of the nicest mineral foundations I had tried. I guess the wheat germ oil made it look less powdery? Anyway, if you aren't sensitive to oils, natural or otherwise, than I would say give this a try. If you have a tendency to breakout, run from this product!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2008 1:34:00 PM More reviews by librarian_girl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

MAC Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation/Loose is a loose mineral-based foundation powder. The plastic container houses the powder in the bottom with a slotted sifter. The screw on top includes a built in sponge applicator (caplicator in MAC-speak).

Mineralize Loose enhances the standard titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, iron oxide, and mica mineral base with barley extract, wheat germ oil, vitamin E and squalane.

I love the satin, skin-like, not quite matte finish of this foundation. I do not like any obvious glow in my foundation of either the shimmer or pearlescent variety. Mineralize Loose does not accentuate my pores, fine lines or anything else I would prefer to minimize. I use this in combination with primer (Clarins Instant Smooth) and concealer (Lancome Effacernes). I find no other powder is required for this foundation to look finished and natural.

Coverage is light to medium. I can build coverage easily without this foundation looking cakey, obvious or overly glowy. Mineralize Loose blends easily and looks undetectable on my skin, even in full daylight. Mineralize Loose offers the identical satin finish of Mineralize Skinfinish/Natural but increases the coverage from sheer/translucent to light/medium. Compared to brands like BE or Everyday Minerals, Mineralize Loose coverage is less full.

My natural coloring is cool-toned fair to light (MAC NW20). I can wear either the Light or Light Medium shades. Both shades are permanent. Light is a perfect match. Light Medium offers a boost of color while still delivering a very natural effect. I wear Light Medium when self tanning from the jaw down or when I want some extra, all-over color in place of a bronzer.

Packaging … The caplictor, like any sponge, offers heavier coverage and is not my favored application method for loose powder foundations. IME getting the loose powder evenly applied to the caplicator is challenging and blending is less than ideal. In a pinch though, the caplictor does almost work. For me, brush application is vastly preferred to control coverage and achieve seamless blending. I don’t bother transferring the powder from the MAC container to another. I just dip the brush into the sifter and apply.

Some reviewers mention permanently removing the caplicator sponge from the top (the sponge squishes in and out easily). Instead, I removed the caplicator sponge, placed a piece of plastic wrap over the whole contraption (gathered at the top), and fitted the plastic wrapped caplicator sponge back into the top. The sponge acts continues to act as a stopper when the container is closed and I don't waste or lose foundation.

Mineralize Loose works well with my normal to oily, acne prone skin. I do not find the formulation drying, nor does it cling to the occasional dry patch. This foundation does not offer explicit oil control over and above the powder formulation. I find a mid-morning blot necessary, same as with most other powder foundations. I am not sensitive to any of the ingredients in Mineralize Loose and have not experienced any breakouts.

While Mineralize Loose includes SPF 15, I do not rely on this as my primary sun protection. I do not apply anywhere near the required 1/4 teaspoon necessary to achieve the labeled SPF. Also, I prefer at least SPF 30 for daily wear.

I am not a mineral makeup aficionada. I’ve experimented with and been disappointed by upwards of eight brands to date. BE seems to magnify my pores, find unknown fine lines, and requires mineral veil to tone down the mica glow. I was unable to discover a good color match in either Alima or Everyday Minerals and both looked somewhat obvious and made my oily skin appear parched. The other brands just combined aspects of my BE and Alima/Everyday Minerals experience. For me, Mineralize Loose requires no sacrifices or compromises of me. MAC hasn’t made a convert of me so much as they created a mineral makeup that won my affection.

I love Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation Loose. This foundation delivers the identical satin finish as Mineralize Skinfinish/Natural but adds the light to medium coverage of a powder foundation. This applies seamlessly for me without enhancing pores, fine lines or dry patches. My normal to oily acne prone skin looks healthy, radiant and natural – my skin but better. The only miss is the built in sponge applicator (caplicator), which is unimpressive. I use a brush for application but discovered that wrapping the caplicator sponge in plastic wrap turns it into a very effective stopper so I don't waste or loose foundation (see above). Regardless of whether MAC reconsiders the packaging, I will wear Mineralize Loose everyday and repurchase without hesitation.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2008 12:34:00 AM More reviews by daphnedoll

Being a BM user for years I was in search of another mineralized loose powder foundation with the same theme but with a less "cakey" feel & look. I found it! It gives almost the same coverage but I look less made up & more natural. This blends into the skin amazingly with the 188 brush. It feels more natural & light. It is a little more expensive than BM but is definitely worth it. The packaging isn't the best but it isn't the worst either. Like with any other loose powder foundation or just foundation in general, make sure you are WELL moisturized & also use a primer! For moisturizer I used Hope In A Jar & for a primer I used Photo Finish SPF 15 w/ Dermaxyl Complex. The combination gave me a FLAWLESS finish that made my complexion look airbrushed! A couple of tips for use;
1) to store so the sponge doesn't soak up all the product, removed all the sponges including the one that is connected to the lid! Store upright & you will have no problems with it.
2) When using, pour some of the powder out onto a petri dish or what you happen to have at home that won't absorb the product while your "picking" the product up.
3) Use a brush! I find the 187 or 188 works the BEST!