December 22, 2014 | 1658 users online

Cleansers - Shu Uemura - White Recovery EX+ Brightening Cleansing Oil

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2014 3:41:00 PM More reviews by shi1

I've been using the pink version (Fresh) for a few years now and I love it but I found that it wasn't moisturizing enough. Its made for oily skin and its supposed to control sebum so that's no surprise. I decided to give this one a try since its supposed to be brightening by targeting accumulated melanin. The first thing I noticed is that this blue version is quite a bit thicker than the pink version. It takes a bit more effort to rub it into the skin and I find it takes more effort to dissolve stubborn makeup (such as waterproof mascara). This one definitely emulsifies more than the other one, and because of its thicker texture, it takes a bit more time to rinse off. That's another thing. At first I thought the thicker texture was causing me to breakout, but once I really took the time to rinse my face clean (especially along the hairline), I didn't have any more problems. My face does feel brighter after a proper cleanse but I don't think it'll really have much of an effect on my age spots in the long run. This product definitely has a floral scent which I like, but may not be great for people who are sensitive to fragrances. I the smell of most of the Shu Uemura products and I find this scent very relaxing and luxurious - great little spa moment after a long day. It turns the boring old makeup removal routine into a little massage therapy. Despite the fact that it takes a bit more effort/time to use than the pink version, I like this version because it is more moisturizing. I think I will keep both versions around so I can switch it up between seasons or needs. The packaging is beautiful as per usual, and price is expensive, but I really think its worth it. Oil cleansing offers one of the deepest cleans without being abrasive. I also appreciate that this is a one step cleanse - no need to use another cleanser afterwards unlike most other oil cleansers. Just remember to really rinse off properly to avoid any clogged pores.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2014 9:30:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

Two things I hate about this product: the strong, obnoxious, floral scent and man does it makes my eyes blurry. That's enough for me to know I won't be buying this again, I don't care whether or not it brightens my skin like the name claims.
Strictly as a cleansing oil, it does the job. But so do lots and lots of other oil cleansers. I have combo-oily skin which tends to be clog-prone, and I am so happy that I finally started using oils to cleanse my skin. It really works! I have tried DHC, Origins, jojoba, coconut, grapeseed, avocado- all with great results. The oil really breaks down the gunk on the surface and loosens up what might be hiding inside the pores. It always struck me as counterintuitive and a little bit crazy, but rubbing oil all over my face really gets it CLEAN. You just have to find one that works for your skin and gives you the results you want, and there are so many to choose from!
But this one wasn't a winner for me. I don't like it and won't buy it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/4/2014 3:58:00 PM More reviews by limitednatalie

It's about me. but If you do care of "mineral oil." you might wanna skip this product.
mineral oil clogs my pore and cause white heads.
So I had been hearing this product for so long, so I did some research, and I figured out this cleansing oil had mineral oil....which would clogs your pores like crazy. that why I did't make the purchase. and then one day, one of my gf told me she was using this product and she was loving it! it makes her face bright, clean, and she removed her whatever waterproof makeup in 1 minute. and, she told me that the official wed site had a good deal...so end up I spent $60 dollars and got the biggest site of this oil.
So the first time i used this cleanser, I was surprised! it did really well job! all my waterproof makeup remove in 1 minute, and my face looked brightening! I loved it and i told myself finally I found a good makeup remover for my life!
And then I used this product for about 3 days, I found some redness. and I told my gf, she said she had it too the first couple times she used, and the redness disappeared later when she kept using it.
Ok, I dun really care about the redness, but at the 5th time I used this cleansing oil...omg!!!!! I have all the white head all over my face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know it was the mineral oil......they remove my makeup and clog my pores....
I used to use the BB cream when they first came out, they made you look natural and everyone kept telling you you had perfect skin..... and later all my fd who using BB creams developed acne and white head skin...and including me.....
It took me 3 years to get rid of the white head skin!believe it or not!
because you have to change all your skin product, spend money on all the good exfoliators, and for sure you have to spend a lot of money and visit your facial professional...they gonna use the acne needle and squeeze them out in order to clean up your pores and face!!!and you will be screaming in the facial room!!!
white heads are not like acne...they might be even worse.....because the acne skin products are usually not helpful......

It really removes your makeup. but It did clog my pores....

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2014 11:19:00 PM More reviews by Kbee62

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE cleansing oils. I'm 35 and have been using Shu Uemura since I was 21. I had Japanese roommates who turned me onto it, no one in the States used them (cleansing oils) back then. I live in NYC and still find it hard to find so order it from an Asian website sasa.com - they have the best prices. I think I prefer the tea tree one, but this one is still fabulous. The first time I used it and still to this day I just enjoy cleansing my skin so much, I massage it into my skin and then use my clarasonic with water for the emulsifying step and then rinse. It cleanses my skin perfectly. The big bottle lasts a year easy, but I only use, 1 pump maybe 1 and a half with heavier make-up days. My skin is combination leaning towards dry and this works wonders on it, making it soft and supple. In general I'm a skin care junkie and try product after product before my old ones run out, but I love this so much that I never even feel tempted to stray other then to try the different formulations! That is the highest accolade coming from me. On occasion if I've run out and had to use some other product till I can get this again and when that happens my skin is absolutely not in as good condition, not as soft, not as clear, dryer. This is def. my cleansing holy grail (HG) (took me ages to figure out what HG stood for :P).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 12:55:00 PM More reviews by myblackdog

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm 67, and my face is getting drier, yet still has large pores as a reminder of an oilier past, and occasional acne. I have spent a lifetime avoiding anything with oil. But - this not only cleans nicely, it leaves my face feeling wonderful - soft skin, no irritation, just right for with makeup or simple sunscreen. I have no clue why it works, but it's working great, especially during this winter weather when I don't want to irritate the skin at all.
I recently bought a large size of this cleanser after using samples -- by the time I finish it, Shu may have some other wonder oil to try.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2013 1:42:00 PM More reviews by MissKamikaze

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is the first cleansing oil that I have ever used or purchased. At that period of time, my skin was having a bad spell. It was red, sensitive, dry and rough. I must say that this cleansing oil helped me out of that and that my skin miraculously became better even after the very first wash with a sample I had gotten. From then on, I became a Shu Uemura fan and started purchasing products from them.

I bought the big bottle a few months back and have about a quarter of the product left now after around 3 months. While I have read that the big bottle can last for a year for some reviewers, I cannot vouch for that. However, that may simply be due to my more abundant usage (3-4 pumps) and me occasionally double cleansing with the oil.

The cleansing oil itself is really pleasant to use. The texture was more watery than I had first anticipated and it is very light. I enjoy massaging the oil onto my face and imagining the dirt lift from my skin, followed by some continued massaging after emulsification of the oil with water. When you wash it all off, you can really feel the difference in your skin texture. For me, it felt soft, smooth and moisturized - Really good.

If you put on make-up often, this cleansing oil would be a great switch from the usual "cotton pad" make-up removal routine. Traditional make-up removers may dry your skin up or agitate sensitive or fragile skin such as that around the eye area. In the long term, this may cause the skin to sag and look older. This cleansing oil reduces friction applied onto your skin and removes make-up extremely easily. All make-up is dissolved and removed as I wash my face - Even mascaras and eyeliner. The only drawback for me would be that the oil clouds my eyes up. It literally creates a film on my eyes which can be washed off with a few water rinses. It is possible to avoid this by avoiding the eye area, which is rather redundant as it is supposed to remove eye make-up as well. I always try to be more careful as I won't know if the oil may potentially harm my eyes (cause me to go blind) in the long run.

All in all, this is a good cleansing oil and I would definitely repurchase. However, I intend to purchase a different cleansing oil, probably a moisturizing one, and not the 'Whiteefficient" as I do not see any visible whitening effects or a more even skin tone with this oil, so that might be another drawback for people who are searching for effective whitening products.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2013 6:15:00 AM More reviews by cocoacloud

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I have tried a few cleansing oils in the past (DHC, H20) but found that Shu Uemura's version is by far the best. It takes off the most stubborn of mascara, eyeliner and glitter and dissolves so gently with water that you wonder who was the mastermind behind this product.

While DHC does deliver similar results, I found that DHC was more drying and didn't seem to remove eye makeup as well as Shu, however it did leave my skin feeling and looking nicer and slightly velvety after washing - it doesn't last throughout the day though. Shu Uemura in comparison is more gentle and more effective - it didn't give the same finish as DHC but rather leaves my skin completely clean and fresh.

I think in HK, this product is labelled as "whiteefficient" instead, and it was the version I bought. Take caution though, don't expect to experience any whitening effects from this cleanser - I haven't noticed any difference in my skin tone at all. For this reason, I'm taking a lippie off - and next time I think I'll go with their green tea version instead!

I have been using this everyday since January (7 months) and my huge 450ml bottle has barely budged! You really get a bang for your buck. Shu Uemura cleansing oils deserve HG status!

EDIT 27 May 2014 - So I'm still on my giant 450ml bottle. I don't think this is HG status anymore because it seriously dries me out, even though it does take off 98% of makeup. I rather use a more gentle cleansing oil, and then follow up with micellar water to take off the residue.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2013 12:53:00 PM More reviews by bluelimelemon

This is my second bottle of shu uemura cleansing oil (the first one is the yellow matte bottle) and I can say I like this a little bit better than the first one.

It has the same amazing cleansing properties as the yellow one. With the bonus of brightening the skin, I couldn't say whether it really whitens the skin tone, but it definitely makes my skin a lot brighter and less dull after I use it.

It's more liquid and lighter (runny) than the yellow one, and more smooth when used onto face. It's non irritating and also didn't cause any break outs. I would recommend this to all skin types (including oily and sensitive skin), especially for those who has dull skin and wanted to brighten up their skin tone, because it's awesome!

Might use this again after it runs out, but maybe the yellow one again because I like both!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2013 6:57:00 AM More reviews by alyssian

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is worth investing in. I have used three bottles of this already and I plan to continue using it. The formula is not as harsh as the other cleansing oils I've tried and it leaves the skin absolutely pampered after washing. I effectively but gently removes even the most stubborn waterproof makeup I have on and no way does it leave the skin dry. With regards to the "brightening" effect, that I cannot exactly attest whether such whitening occurs after more prolonged use, so you'll have to find out from other reviews if that aspect is your primary concern.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/22/2013 8:24:00 AM More reviews by hellodionne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've gone through three bottles of this cleansing oil. Let me tell you first, THIS IS A MAKEUP REMOVER, NOT A CLEANSER!!! This should be used as your first step in cleansing, to be followed by an actual cleanser. This contains mineral oil so if you leave this on, there's a big chance you'll get your pores clogged and it won't look pretty. That being said, it removes makeup amazingly. Even the thickest, waterproof makeup goes away at the end of the day with this one.