November 23, 2014 | 1963 users online

Deodorants - Desert Essence - Tea Tree Oil Deodorant with Lavender Oil

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2014 4:53:00 PM More reviews by guitarheroine91

This just didn't work for me, and it smells so good I really wish it had. I got this because I was looking to quit using aluminum deodorants as I thought it would be a healthier choice for my body. But I have given this product over a month for a transition period (most people don't know but you can sweat and stink more for a few weeks after switching) and I still stink worse than I ever have. I don't even sweat much, but my B.O is AWFUL. Switching to a different aluminum free product asap.

Sorry, this just didn't work for me :(

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2013 4:35:00 AM More reviews by FeralCreature

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

*** UPDATE *** After a few years of using this deo with the success I detailed below, it just stopped working and started irritating my skin. Not sure what happened, even if the formula had changed (which I don't think it did) this stopped working toward the end of deodorant I'd already been using without issues. I stopped using it and switched over to the much-recommended Soapwalla, but I am glad this happened because Soapwalla is DEFINITELY my new HG and I'd not have found it otherwise.

This was only the second natural deodorant I ever tried when "going green" and I must be the luckiest person ever as it is HG status for me and works better than any of the non-natural options I tried for years leading up to this.

Desert Essence Tea Tree deo is a clear/gel solid that can usually be found for around 3-4 usd on sale (I get it from various vitamin-type retailers online) and I think retails for 6 (which is still a bit cheaper than many other natural deos out there). It goes on smoothly and totally clear but does take a few minutes to dry. I have been rushed many times to dress immediately after application though and it doesn't seem to stain or otherwise affect clothing, it just doesn't seem to work quite as well if I don't let it soak in.

I find the aloe and tea tree very soothing to the skin, particularly after shaving, but would imagine that those sensitive to EOs should patch tes and/or avoid since this deo contains a fairly generous amount of both tea tree and lavender EOs. I also like the somewhet medicinal scent, but that's a matter of personal preference plus, the scent doesn't really stick around anyway (which I also love because it doesn't interfere with perfume).

It took about 4-6 weeks when I first switched from traditional antiperspirants for my body to adjust to not having something try to block my sweat glands and I was definitely producing far more sweat than usual. During this transitional perios, I applied the DE deo every few hours or so, which was a PITA but definitely kept BO at bay. Post-adjustment, I actually noticed I sweat far less than I had for many years previously which is definitely a selling point for aluminum-free deos in general as I was *thisclose* to going the clinical-strength route after spending my entire school career sweating noticeably more than my peers.

In the 3 or so years since my first experience with DE I have tried a handful of other natural deos which seemed to make me smell worse and sometimes even sweat more than going entirely without, and others that have worked but irritated my skin, so I keep coming back to the DE. I apply right after a shower, sometimes preceded by a spritz of Crystal deo spray (see separate review) and rarely need to reapply - only if I have had a very active or stressful day, if the weather is extremely hot, or if I am hungover (yes, drinking to much makes me smell weird). If I do need to reapply, it's usually about 7-10 hours into my day - like after work but before going out or similar.

I can't imagine a reason why I would not keep purchasing this deodorant - perhaps if they discontinues it or something, but otherwise it is *the* Holy Grail of odor prevention in my cabinet and I do not plan on being without it any time soon.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2013 8:12:00 AM More reviews by blackblackblack

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Usually I get away with wearing aluminum-free natural deodorants, but not this one. Not even for an hour. One word: funky.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2012 7:25:00 PM More reviews by sugarfreepersonality

I really like this as a natural deodorant. When I first used it, I was under the impression that it smelled good at first but eventually turned bad... But I was wrong. With more use, I realize it's pretty good! It doesn't transfer onto my clothes because it's clear, it's not chalky or slimy- just a happy medium. Tea tree oil definitely smells fresh and clean. It's good (:

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2012 7:26:00 PM More reviews by mmherman

Great smelling natural deodorant, but it didn't work for me. I get a really funky smell during certain times of the month and this did not cut it at all. This will not stop you from sweating, but I knew that so no complaints there. Wish this had worked because the smell is really great. Hope it works for others.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2012 7:13:00 PM More reviews by Integra97

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Switched to this from the Jason Tea Tree Oil deodorant because it works a little better. I am trying to avoid the use of aluminum containing anti-perspirants, so sticking with natural deodorants. This is the best one I have tried so far in terms of controlling odor. If it is very hot and I am spending a lot of time outdoors I do have to reapply before the day is over, or go back to using my old Degree anti-perspirant. But on a normal day it will last through the entire day. The smell is ok, not very noticeable.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2009 3:42:00 PM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have very sensitive skin, and for the last few years my underarms have been getting increasingly more sensitive. I've been using this for about a week now, and so far no rashes or irritation. It's not an antiperspirant, but I do find that I stay relatively dry even in the hot california summer. I definitely DON'T stink no matter how active I've been. I like the light herbal scent of this because it's not overpowering, but it doesn't just cover up bad smells w/ perfume like a lot of other types of deodorants I've tried. My only complaint is that like a lot of roll-on liquids it's a bit sticky. I don't fault it for that because I'm very picky about that, and it's my pickiness, not the product. To counter that I dust on a little Honey Bee Gardens Deodorant Powder, and I'm good to go.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2009 8:33:00 AM More reviews by allymack

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a great deodorant. I made the switch to aluminum-free deodorants a while back, and resigned myself to never finding one that works as well as the aluminum-containing ones. I used Tom's of Maine honeysuckle rose before this, for example, and it always needed a mid-day touch-up.
This deodorant, however, works better than the aluminum-containing ones. I woke up this morning and I still smelled good, which never happened for me with lady speed stick etc. Also, I love the tea tree oil smell (can't really smell the lavender at all imo), which is clean and fresh, but I know a lot of people hate that smell so make sure you like it before you buy it! Will definitely re-buy.
EDIT: stopped working. bummer.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/8/2009 12:55:00 PM More reviews by madmermaid

I had been using Dove Clinical Protection anti-perspirant/deodorant, but wanted to switch to aluminum-free deodorant. I had read reviews that this Desert Essence one with tea tree oil worked very well, so I tried it.

For the first few days, I applied it after my morning shower, and I got the impression that it kept odor away for the day, and then it would be extremely obvious that I needed to shower the next morning (much more so than with my previous product). Unfortunately, it's been a few weeks and it seems like it's working for a shorter and shorter time--now it's only 4 or 5 hours before I feel like I need to shower. I'm disappointed by this product. I might be all right if I am able to go to the bathroom and wash up every 4 hours, but at that point I might as well just not wear deodorant at all. Heh. Back to using the aluminum anti-perspirant until I can find something better.

I gave it a 3 because it probably works better than nothing at all, and the smell is much better and more natural than the cheap chemical perfumes that are usually in anti-perspirants at the average drugstore.

EDIT: Okay, it's been 4 days since I wrote that review, and for those 4 days, as a test, I put the Dove Clinical Protection under my left arm and the Desert Essence under my right. It has actually worked MUCH better for me in the last 4 days--just very slightly less than the Dove. Hardly any stickiness or odor. So I am changing my rating to 4 lippies!

I think the difference is that before, I wasn't using enough. When I swoop 6 times total (up, down, up, down, up, down) it works just fine.

EDIT AGAIN: A few months later. I was still having unpredictable results and on some days, it would just fail to work. Not good. I'm giving it a rating of 2 because it works sometimes.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2008 7:00:00 AM More reviews by mrak

Hands down, greatest deodorant I have ever used. HG status. I have tried dozens of deodorants and antiperspirants over the years and this one beats them all. I initially picked up this deodorant at Whole Foods because I was looking for an aluminum free deodorant (to avoid any neurotoxicity issues) and I thought that tea tree oil sounded like an effective ingredient because of its antimicrobial effect. The deodorant is a clear solid, so it is not visible on clothes or your underarms at all. The smell is medicinal, it smells strongly of tea tree oil, but the smell isn't noticible once you are wearing it. I don't particularly want to smell like baby powder, ocean mist or pure rain anyway. So since this is a deodorant and not an antiperspirant it doesn't keep you 'dry' but it does a great job at keeping you smelling clean and fresh. I can't say enough good things about this deodorant, it works far superior to conventional deodorants and antiperspirants without any crazy chemicals.

Ingredients: Purified water, propylene glycol, sodium stearate, tea tree oil (melaleuca alternifolia), cocamide DEA, aloe vera gel, lavender oil, famesol, chamomile, calendula extracts and sodium borate