October 26, 2014 | 1633 users online

Treatments (Face) - Peter Thomas Roth - Acne Spot and Area Treatment

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2013 2:23:00 AM More reviews by mariapastel

I absolutely loved this product. I have been using it for a year now, I went to Sephora the other day but to my bad luck they do not sell this product anymore. This has reduced my gigantic cyst that i get once in a while and it reduces the inflammation, then dries them out. It stings when first applied but wake up the next morning to a dry or flat cyst. However, I agree with previous comments, this thing does leave brownish but im guessing its the normal scarring. It does dry out the skin but not as much for me. I hope they bring it back to sephora. I have bought the Murad acne spot treatment but it does not work as fast as this one. Also i picked up the Zulfuric Acne therapeutic masque from Dr Peter Thomas and I have yet to see the results.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2013 2:33:00 PM More reviews by Raineey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've had cystic acne for about a year and was really at my wit's end trying to figure out a way to get these bumps to go away. I bought this as part as the PTR acne kit. I'm glad that I have the smaller size because I don't think I would buy it again.
It does bring down the cyst's (or any zit's) size to flat overnight. The issue that I have with it is that it dries out my skin like crazy, making it even harder to cover the dryness than the bump. I realize that it's supposed to dry out the blemish, but it turns my skin into a brown/gray scab and makes it flaky. I have always been extremely careful to apply a very small amount to only the head of the cyst and I leave it on for maybe a half hour max before bed.
If I have a huge cyst, then I will use it just to get the size down but otherwise, it will stay in my medicine cabinet because I'd almost rather have a bump then a grey, flaky scab. The smell doesn't bother me, it's a little bit stinky but nothing that is unbearable.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/28/2012 3:56:00 PM More reviews by PaleChamorra

Peter Thomas Roth has my recommendation for anybody frustrated facing oily and/or acneic skin. i have combination oily skin, but recently an EXTREMELY oily t-zone and i have lots of pimples in my shin and forehead. i started using the PTR acne line recently and every day i see a gradual improvement. i use this with the beta-hydroxy wash and the acne buffing exfoliating wash. after the third day, i began to peel. my skin still feels tight, but very smooth- which i don't mind!

this spot treatment goes on great under makeup or at night under a cream, but dry skin users need to use a little more caution. dot it in certain spots, not over a general area.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2012 12:06:00 AM More reviews by lethlie

Summary: I like it enough to call it my favorite out of all spot treatments I've tried. But I don't love it enough to call it a godsend.

Currently on my 2nd bottle of the PTR Acne Spot and Area Treatment. It's one of my favorite spot treatments and did wonders for my skin a few months back. It did have a hand in helping me the clearest skin I've had since high school.

Only reason that I took one lipstick ("lippie"?) off is due to the fact that I don't love it as much as I did (since it's no as effective as it used to be). My skin's been on a clearer path up until 2-3 months ago when my jawline and neck broke out into terrible cystic acne (which has never happened before). I've had a few cystic spots here and there, but not an all-out attack such as this. I didn't read the other reviews before I wrote mine so I don't write this with some bias (I bought this on a recommendation from a Sephora SA in place of the DDF 5% Benzoyl Peroxide Gel). Okay, now to just get down to it: a pro-con list of this product on my skin CURRENTLY (as opposed to how I loved it before).

Cons:
1. Did not completely clear blemishes over night, especially the larger annoyances. A deal-breaker for a lot of people and main reason why I can't love it.
2. The smell. It's 5% colloidal sulfur and you can damn well smell it.
3. Comes in an opaque, white, plastic pump dispenser. You can't see how much product you have left. And residual product in the pump will dry up and make later applications a little more difficult.

And now onto the reason why I will repurchase this again (pros):
1. It does help with REDUCING the size/swelling of acne. It can even clear up the smaller/smallest of spots on my face the night before.
2. It doesn't try out my skin like other acne spot treatments (and acne-targeted products).
3. The ingredients may have some part in helping 1 and 2. They, most of them at least, are winners to me:
For acne/exfoliation: sulfur, salicylic acid, and glycolic acid
To help calm/soothe: Aloe vera
To help fade dark spots: glycolic acid, Licorice root, and grape seed
Other great ingredients: various other extracts like orange and willow, and vitamins E + B5
4. Did I mention that it was the most effective out of all spot treatments I've tried without completely drying out my skin? Yeah. That's a big one for me.

I hope this helps at least one person out there.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2012 7:25:00 PM More reviews by lunalove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Even though I said I would repurchase Im not sure about that - I want to see if the sulfur mask from PTR works just as well because if it does then there is no need to purchase both. I have heard that other reviewers use the sulfur mask as a spot treatment. Ill update if/when I experiment with comparing the two.
I use this spot treatment currently with the rest of PTR's acne line and I must say it has all been working very well together for my acne. But precisely because I have been using them together, I am not sure if it is this spot treatment alone that has helped with my bad spots or if it is everything together. As it says, I dab it on my worst inflamed spots every night (and I have about 5+ on any given day) and they have gotten much smaller and less inflamed in 4 days. That's pretty impressive, but again I am not sure if it is this spot treatment or the AHA/BHA gel because I use both.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2011 10:45:00 AM More reviews by 4eyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Great product! I have used just about every acne tx, both OTC and Rx, for about 20 years. I have had oily, acne prone skin since I was about 13 and I am now 40(+). low-dose BP, salicylic, retin-a and oral antibiotics are usually most effective. However, any tx loses effectiveness over time, and I find rotating products every 6 months or so helps. I am also always on the lookout for new products. I tried this and (not at the same time) Dermadoctor Aint Misbehavin serum for something new/more effective. This BLOWS away Dermadoctor. This has a thick, pasty consistency and is not very easy to spread. The smell is of course, sulfuric. Color: light yellow, but when applied no color. I find this slightly mattifying, NOT irritating at all (unlike Dermadoctor, which burns like fire and actually has a strong, alcohol/medicine smell I find more offensive than this stinky sulfur) and very effective. It calms my sensitive skin. I actually spread it over my entire face (very thin layer), let dry, then apply makeup. I don't use at night as I use Retin-A then. Result: less oil during the day, a calming and smoothing effect, fewer zits. Using all over may be too much for people w/drier skin, but I have super-oily, super sensitive skin. This works for me. Drawbacks: VERY expensive, and a bit thick. It dries so fast it's hard to spread far before it's dry. This may not be a problem if you are only using it in spots. Yes, it will cause some peeling at first, but that's how you know it's working. After some initial peeling off of cruddy layers of skin in a few days, I don't notice any excessive flaking. If you do, just reduce # of times applied. Wish it was cheaper. Due to results, I will be trying more PTR products.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2011 11:51:00 PM More reviews by didibabez

The first time I used this stuff.....I didn't realize the bad smell was coming from it. I thought to myself "damn, something smells....sniff sniff..."...then realized, the horrible fart smell was coming from this. I used it here and there but haven't noticed a significant improvement to my skin, It's ok so far.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2011 8:39:00 AM More reviews by domika

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This stuff is my skin's lifesaver when I get large breakouts around that time of the month. I've tried to find the solution for ages and have finally found a product that has a high enough content of sulfur in it to combat my hormonal acne. Salicyclic acid does NOTHING for my acne. BP works alright but sulfur is by far the best. You just have to find the right anti-acne ingredient that works for you. My only complaint is that when I put it on at night, it makes my pillow smell after a while so beware. Even so, this product obviously won't smell amazing with 5% sulfur, but I'll live with the results I get!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2011 5:34:00 PM More reviews by elisha1717

When I get zits it is usually on my forehead and I have tried almost every spot treatment there is! From expenisive to inexpensive i've tried it all ! I use this before going to bed and when i wake up pimples have either dried up or reduced dramatically it is amazing !!! The smell is pretty bad but i dont care cause it does the job. it can be a little drying so I would not recommend to use every night or as a preventative only use directly on the acne spots! i will never purchase another spot treatment again! LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2011 8:26:00 PM More reviews by thesavagefamily

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is so expensive for an acne treatment, but it works. I have been using the PTR Anti Aging Cleanser, DDF glycolic toner, PTR acne spot treatment and PTR Glycolic lotion and had no breakouts. If I do feel a spot coming on, it goes away before it comes to a head. I have hormonal acne and got tired of paying $45 for my treatment cream, so I purchased this. It has last a while, as I just use less than one pump and spot treat only, so I will purchase it again. It has sulfur in it, so I don't know if that is why it works better. I am open if anyone has another alternative, but until then I will repurchase. Since I have been using these products I have not had a breakout (even during that time of the month). I am so happy with PTR!