October 30, 2014 | 1495 users online

Treatments (Face) - Eryacne topical antibiotic (Erythromycin)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2014 7:15:00 AM More reviews by nostalgia496

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My doctor prescribed me this for my moderate acne and I've used this for 2 months and within that time, all my acne cleared up!! I have under-the-skin pimples, they're not cysts but rather just small bumps that you can only see under direct light and sometimes a whitehead along my forehead (I never really got pimples anywhere else).
I've tried many drug store products but they only worked to an extent so when I got this, I was really happy to see it worked.
Even though I've been told to use it for 2 months, I've sometimes used it during those 'times of the month' and although it doesn't work as well as it did before, it's still nice to use.
But the bad thing with this is that it's on the more expensive side ($37 aud) and it loses it's effectiveness over times, like benzoyl peroxide.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/13/2014 1:21:00 AM More reviews by AnnCnn

my doctor prescribed me this gel and ive used up 3 tubes and made my eye hurt for long periods of time and kept hurting when i stopped using it. this product is really stong and didnt do anything to my acne... maybe cleared a few spots but i wouldnt recommend this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/18/2013 9:05:00 AM More reviews by cankcank

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been using this on and off for years. It never really cleared up my acne. Beware, makes skin sensitive to sun and a bit flaky, so use in moderation.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2013 9:25:00 AM More reviews by danielle0som

I've been suffering from acne since I was 13. I tried all the drug store ance/pimple washes but they didn't seem to work. My acne was mainly on my forehead and occasionally on my far cheeks and consisted of small bumps that never really surfaced the skin so I couldn't 'pop' them because they had no head or it was just really hard to raise them out of my skin.

Although one product that did work really well for me was the St. Ives Apricot Scrub for blemishes and acne-prone skin. My skin completely cleared up within 1 month with the use of a benzoyl peroxide gel as well, but for some reason about 5 months later of using the products as a routine my skin had suddenly gotten really sore and more oily resulting in my acne to come back. I think this was due to lack of moisture.

I'm now 19 and decided to go to the doctors to seek medical advice. I told him about my experiences and he prescribed me to Eryacne and told me my acne should clear up in 3 months. I saw results within the first week of using eryacne and my skin has continued to become and stay clear.

My current routine is:
1. Cleanse my face with the Cetaphil face wash for oily, acne-prone skin. (If i'm wearing make-up il do a double cleanse).
2. Dry my face, apply Eryacne to all my problematic areas.
3. Wait about 5 minutes
4. Apply a H2O serum. I use the one by 'Yuva'
5. Apply moisturiser. I just use the essentials moisturiser by Clean & Clear because it's oil-free.

I will do this day AND night. Although I do not recommend doing this twice a day once you just start the treatment cream as it may be too strong for your skin. Just start of applying it once a day and then gradually twice a day when your skin has gotten 'used' to it and can handle it.

I've been following this routine for about 2 months and I can say my skin has not been this clear in a long time. It just feels much cleaner and smoother texture-wise. Now my only problem is getting rid of acne scars rather than acne itself!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/22/2013 6:43:00 AM More reviews by 33Lisa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

EDIT: I think I've overused this. It still works to some extent but not as well as it used to. I no longer use it daily - erythromycin is an antibiotic that bacteria commonly develop resistance to apparently. I'm now using benzoyl peroxide for my acne. Will be keeping my second tube of this but not buying a third one.

(original reiew)

I loved this. I literally used it everyday and it helped so much with acne. Am onto my second tube now (first one lasted me 5 years, used it on and off as a teenager). I find it especially good on whiteheads and if I put a thin layer over little bumps that look like the beginnings of something major, it will generally shrink them back to normal skin in no time (if I can catch the little bumps before they become big bumps, that is).
I have fairly sensitive skin and dislike that this has an alcohol base. I have to be careful to apply only a thin layer to the skin (except for whiteheads), otherwise the skin will get irritated and form an orangey, slightly crusty layer that goes away in a few days. It dries the skin out too, leaving a thin white film behind. I wouldn't use this during the day or under makeup- at night or around home is best in my opinion.
It is most excellent for whiteheads. This is what I do: apply a thicker layer over the whitehead and continue applying it several time during the day. It really speeds up the whitehead healing process - generally after 24hrs or so (or when the pimple is ready) I can peel off the film it leaves and the "head" of the whitehead will come out too. Then I'm left with a red mark that heals then takes a few months to fade away.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2013 3:37:00 PM More reviews by dianebrown

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Was prescribed this by my derm for cystic acne. I only paid $10 copay with ins. I struggled with an infected stitch abscess for months and started using this and it is almost healed after only one week using it. it can be drying to the skin so i put a moisterizer or vaseline over it when using it at night

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2012 12:58:00 AM More reviews by sinerules

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am someone who has been suffering with acne since I was 14, I am now almost 22 and I'm pretty damn sure I have found my personal solution. My main problem was my chin area, I have scars there from awful big red bumps that hang around FOREVER. I went on the pill to see what would happen and it did seem to calm my face a little, but mainly just helped with the oil I was producing on my forehead and nose, and did lessen any 'scabby' kinda pimples. Just red lumps remained.
I have been using eryacne for around 6 weeks now and I am amazed. During the first 2 weeks I did have one gigantic pimple form on my chin, but i bet he was just waiting to erupt before i started the treatment. Following this, i haven't had ANY red bumps. NOT ONE. The only downside i THINK is occurring is that when i started the treatment i had a few purple scars from previous acne, and they seem to be taking ages to fade. But honestly, it is not bothering me that much because little purple dots are so much easier to cover up with make up than giant red lumps.
Contrary to a a few reviews here, I think it's easily wearable under makeup, then again, I'm no expert on makeup. After I apply the gel after using Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Power-Clear Scrub I apply the product to my chin, nose and forehead (even though I don't get acne on my nose or forehead anymore, but I haven't seen any whiteheads since I started applying there anyway). I wait around 5-10 minutes for all the alcohol to evaporate from the applied product, then moisturise (with either clinique oil free moisturiser or clearasil moisturiser, either is fine). I find makeup quite easy to put on over the top of the moisturiser. Unlike differin or Duac, two products I really tried for around 2 years without any results, eryacne does not create any redness on my skin, and since it's not a cream, it's quickly absorbed.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2012 3:17:00 AM More reviews by Camilla00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It's very drying on your face so you'll need a good moisturizer especially if you wear make up.
It does nothing to prevent future pimples or to get rid of white heads so I've found the only way to get rid of the painful ones is to extract them. My acne is hormonal so this may work better on somebody who doesn't have that.
On normal pimples it works fast to reduce the size of the pimple but again it doesn't prevent it from coming back.
It is a nice alternative to using medication which can have many unwanted side affects. It is a lot faster at getting rid of a pimple then a lot of other acne products I've used and less expensive.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2012 2:53:00 AM More reviews by Becky2009

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is an effective product for clearing up pimples. It basically just blitzes them with its antibiotic power. I definitely find this very effective. The only thing is though you can't really use it under makeup, because it makes the finish of foundation very obvious and "makeuppy". When people can see me, I'd rather conceal my bad skin than heal it, so I end up going with makeup rather than Eryacne.

It doesn't do much for preventing new pimples, sadly. I guess that is what other products are for. But it works well at healing existing ones and making small ones stay that way, rather than turn into crazy monsters.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2010 4:46:00 AM More reviews by missmei

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I first started using this when I had really bad hormonal and stress related acne. It was cystic and quite frankly gross! My doctor prescribed it and she said to use it only in the morning.

I find that this really helped with the big, red, sore lesions or ones that might potentially become one. I don't think it does too much for the acne that hasn't erupted - I think that's what Differin is for. It works wonders for the red ones. You can see it gets less red within minutes.

If you are experiencing a worsening of your condition - hang in there! It's just your skin purging things.

You need to keep this one under 25 degrees otherwise it will denature the antibiotics. It also says it has a shelflife of about 2 months once opened but I think they are being overly cautious with it.

It comes in a tube and has a nozzle at the end. This is great because it stays clean inside the tube and you only need a tiny amount anyway as it spreads quite easily. You do not need to put a lot of this one - you will only be wasting a good thing!