September 22, 2014 | 1240 users online

Styling Products - Aveda - Phomollient

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2014 4:20:00 PM More reviews by chickeeduck

I purchased Kerastase shampoo and conditioner hoping it would help my frizzy hair as other products were not doing it for me. Tried Oribe, Ojon,Living Proof, Pantene,Morroccan Oil,Fekkai, but I still had the frizz fountain that emanates from my head.

Saw the review here, and decided why not. So I purchased in spite of the smell (there is something about Aveda products scent that I do not like - A little too organic or kitchen like I suppose) . The product itself comes in a translucent plastic bottle, and you can see the liquid. The pump foams it up and you apply two to three pumps on the palm of your hands and spread it on your hair, starting from the crown. The smell is faint and nothing cloying, just not my preference. It's effect however took care of whatever reservations I had. It leaves my hair smooth and makes it look healthy. I usually blowdry my hair on weekdays, but have used it a couple of times to air dry and I have noticed my hair can get a bit crunchy if just left to dry. It does brush off however, with no flaking or powdering as some mousses or lotions, like Paul Mitchel's styling lotion, can sometimes do. I am impressed.
It is a consistent product in current rotation, but only time will tell if the scent will get to me and I might need to decommission it from the styling front line, but for now I am a subscriber.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2014 2:36:00 PM More reviews by glittergatkes

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't know how Aveda does it ("magic" is not listed among the ingredients), but Phomollient is the only product that leaves my long, fine, obstinately stravy/wavy hair 100% frizz-free, every single time. I use a pump or two all over my head, then other products depending on whether I'm styling straight or curly; the effect is pure polish. I haven't noticed Phomollient adding more volume or body when I've used it by itself, but I don't really care. Frizz-free is frizz-free!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2013 5:26:00 PM More reviews by aquarianrabbit

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this stuff! I do suggest using it in conjunction with Aveda Pure Abundance Style Prep as I get a lot of body and volume using them together. I do like Phomollient on its own, but I like more volume than I can get with just Phomollient and blow-drying, so I use both. I put Phomollient (two pumps) all over the top of my scalp after towel drying and spritz Pure Abundance Style Prep on the rest of my hair, comb through and blow dry upside down so I get volume at my crown and body in the rest of my hair. I just used up both bottles and am definitely re-purchasing both. The only complaint I have about Phomollient is the "shine" quality it has. I have quite oily roots, so I don't really need the extra shine, but it's not so bad because I normally use dry shampoo to get rid of the oilies (regardless of Phomollient or not) on day two and three anyway. Overall, recommended.

PS Take a sniff test before buying. I love the scent, but it is very "Aveda," so keep that in mind if you're not a big fan of natural-smelling things.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2013 7:16:00 PM More reviews by Caseyiswinter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love using this stuff before drying my hair. It makes it shinier and it holds it's style much better.

It has a nice herbal clean scent. It's a very versatile product and I could change the effect it had on my hair based on when I used it (before or after drying) and how many pumps I used. Very nice everyday product.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2013 10:12:00 AM More reviews by 1Bruce1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was reluctant to try this, based on my younger years of mousse experience. Also, I've been sucked into the Be Curly line, though that kind of stopped working that well for me, and this doesn't seem to be marketed as specifically for curly/wavy hair. Anyway, I had a travel size lying around, and finally decided to give it a try, not expecting much. But it has become my favorite styling product! It gives some definition to my wavy/curly hair, and adds volume as well. No crunchiness/stickiness, and somehow I've had way better 2nd-day hair than ever before. I do wish it smelled as good as some other Aveda products (this is very lightly scented, hardly noticeable). But, that's no big deal since I'm absolutely loving what it does for my hair. Will definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2012 8:46:00 PM More reviews by loveydove

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

When I was young and single and I could afford salon hair products I was a frequent buyer of this styling product. I love the scent of Aveda products and the Phomollient smells wonderful! This product is very lightweight and I will mention that it doesn't have a lot of "hold" (it doesn't claim to anyways). I have wavy-curly, shoulder-length hair and I like the fact that I can put something in my hair that's not sticky like gel. This product doesn't claim to hold curls but it did hold my curls for a few hours anyways. I find that once you start touching your hair, throughout the day, the product stops working. The key is not to touch your hair. Anyways, I can no longer afford to buy salon products but I still recommend this product.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2012 5:02:00 PM More reviews by gdriban

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is perfect for my chin length, fine hair. It adds just the right amount of body without weighing it down or making it feel "crunchy". I use one pump of this with Aveda's smooth infusion and perfection is achieved! Love the Aveda fresh scents!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2012 4:11:00 AM More reviews by StilettoQueen7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this for pretty much any way I choose to style my hair - curly or straight - it's a very versatile product. I can't fully explain it, but my hair just always looks better and thicker (I have fine hair) when I use this stuff. I see the best results though when I wear my hair naturally curly/wavy (my hair is kind of nuts). Applied before blow-drying, it gives my roots a bit of a lift, and my curls/waves look less frizzy and more defined. Even if you somehow overapply it, it doen't leave your hair crunchy or gummy by any means, and if you're hair gets messed up during the day you can just re-wet it buy scrunching with wet hands and it will reactivate the product. This is a product I always keep in stock, and will always repurchase - I have two or three containers in my bathroom right now :).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2012 2:56:00 AM More reviews by junomacguff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased this on the recommendation of the SA. I used it today with Color Conserve shampoo and conditioner then let my hair airdry. Nice beachy waves, not crunchy or frizzy. I used several pumps to massage into my roots and then scrunched it in the lengths of my hair. Love it! I used to use Phomollient when I blow dried my hair straight as it gave it body but never thought to use it to air dry. :) Very versatile!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2012 12:33:00 PM More reviews by sheaashley

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product has been very helpful. Mousse is too heavy, too stiff. This is a very light hold (you can always apply more too) hair styling product. My boyfriend and I both use it daily.
I have fine hair and it lifts at the roots and gives extra shine. It also holds my hair in place, but also is touchable soft and not stiff or crunchy (yuck).
I've been very pleased with this product, I've been using it for almost two years now. I also like the fact that you can order a refill and keep the pump from the previous bottle, it's $1 less expensive and helps be a little greener. :)