Aveda Phomollient

3.8

aqueous (water/aqua/eau) extracts: arctium lappa (burdock) root extract, althaea officinalis (marshmallow) root extract, polysorbate 20, glycerin, polyquaternium-11, polyquaternium-10, honey/mel, tocopherol, glycine soya (soybean) oil, fragrance, geraniol, linalool, farnesol, benzyl benzoate, benzyl salicylate, citronellol, eugenol, amyl cinnamal, limonene, citric acid, sodium gluconate, potassium sorbate, phenoxyethanol, chlorphenesin

on 8/18/2015 5:19:00 PM

At first I thought this would be perfect for my uber fine wavy hair. I used this to replace my other mousse and kept every other aspect of my routine the same. Even as I used it and dried my hair, I thought...yes (curls, definition, felt soft)! But as my hair finished drying (partial diffuse, partial air dry), the crown was left soooo flat. I was not deterred yet though. What did this in for me was by the end of the day, my wavy hair was drug down, flat on top and most of my curls pulled out to very loose poofy cotton candy ends. I looked like a "before" picture by the end of the day.

I used to hate the smell of Aveda stuf and now I find myself liking it many years later. But I have had the hardest time finding a product I like from Aveda. I have a few more on my list, but I can cross this one off.

on 6/12/2015 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this styling foam by Aveda. It does exactly what it says by adding shine and weightless volume to fine hair.
Because its so light and weightless, id imagine that it would be quite ineffective on very long and thick hair.
i have fine, full bodied shoulder length hair that's wavy and this product works very well for me.
Marshmallow root extracts, Honey and several other natural plant extracts makes this a more "organic" choice compared to other styling mousse.
It has a herbal scent that takes some getting used to but 2 to 3 pumps of this on damp hair makes it almost too faint to detect.
i like to apply this on towel dried hair and evenly distribute it with a tangle teezer or wet brush and then blow dry with a diffuser. the result is hair with a nice textured volume and curl definition especially if you have naturally wavy hair.
i use Aveda Phomollient even on days that i prefer to have my hair in a bun or a topknot
because this styling mousse helps to keep bobbypins in place and gives the bun more shape.

on 10/25/2014 7:03:00 PM

I really don't understand what the previous reviews are talking about. I used it a few times and I'm ready to throw it away...It makes my hair sticky and takes forever to dry it out, makes my shiny hair dull and no volume whatsoever AND it smells bad :(

on 9/21/2014 4:20:00 PM

I purchased Kerastase shampoo and conditioner hoping it would help my frizzy hair as other products were not doing it for me. Tried Oribe, Ojon,Living Proof, Pantene,Morroccan Oil,Fekkai, but I still had the frizz fountain that emanates from my head.

Saw the review here, and decided why not. So I purchased in spite of the smell (there is something about Aveda products scent that I do not like - A little too organic or kitchen like I suppose) . The product itself comes in a translucent plastic bottle, and you can see the liquid. The pump foams it up and you apply two to three pumps on the palm of your hands and spread it on your hair, starting from the crown. The smell is faint and nothing cloying, just not my preference. It leaves my hair smooth and makes it look healthy. I usually blowdry my hair on weekdays, but have used it a couple of times to air dry and I have noticed my hair can get a bit crunchy if just left to dry. It does brush off however, with no flaking or powdering as some mousses or lotions, like Paul Mitchel's styling lotion, can sometimes do. I am impressed.
It is a consistent product in current rotation, but only time will tell if the scent will get to me and I might need to decommission it from the styling front line, but for now I am a subscriber.
Update 02/06/15 Yes- I suppose I should know by now that I am far too picky about scents, and ultimately the scent beat me down. The crunchy texture when air drying was also not the best. Finished the bottle, but will not repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I don't know how Aveda does it ("magic" is not listed among the ingredients), but Phomollient is the only product that leaves my long, fine, obstinately stravy/wavy hair 100% frizz-free, every single time. I use a pump or two all over my head, then other products depending on whether I'm styling straight or curly; the effect is pure polish. I haven't noticed Phomollient adding more volume or body when I've used it by itself, but I don't really care. Frizz-free is frizz-free!

I really like this stuff! I do suggest using it in conjunction with Aveda Pure Abundance Style Prep as I get a lot of body and volume using them together. I do like Phomollient on its own, but I like more volume than I can get with just Phomollient and blow-drying, so I use both. I put Phomollient (two pumps) all over the top of my scalp after towel drying and spritz Pure Abundance Style Prep on the rest of my hair, comb through and blow dry upside down so I get volume at my crown and body in the rest of my hair. I just used up both bottles and am definitely re-purchasing both. The only complaint I have about Phomollient is the "shine" quality it has. I have quite oily roots, so I don't really need the extra shine, but it's not so bad because I normally use dry shampoo to get rid of the oilies (regardless of Phomollient or not) on day two and three anyway. Overall, recommended.

PS Take a sniff test before buying. I love the scent, but it is very "Aveda," so keep that in mind if you're not a big fan of natural-smelling things.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love using this stuff before drying my hair. It makes it shinier and it holds it's style much better.

It has a nice herbal clean scent. It's a very versatile product and I could change the effect it had on my hair based on when I used it (before or after drying) and how many pumps I used. Very nice everyday product.

on 2/6/2013 10:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was reluctant to try this, based on my younger years of mousse experience. Also, I've been sucked into the Be Curly line, though that kind of stopped working that well for me, and this doesn't seem to be marketed as specifically for curly/wavy hair. Anyway, I had a travel size lying around, and finally decided to give it a try, not expecting much. But it has become my favorite styling product! It gives some definition to my wavy/curly hair, and adds volume as well. No crunchiness/stickiness, and somehow I've had way better 2nd-day hair than ever before. I do wish it smelled as good as some other Aveda products (this is very lightly scented, hardly noticeable). But, that's no big deal since I'm absolutely loving what it does for my hair. Will definitely repurchase!

on 10/10/2012 8:46:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

When I was young and single and I could afford salon hair products I was a frequent buyer of this styling product. I love the scent of Aveda products and the Phomollient smells wonderful! This product is very lightweight and I will mention that it doesn't have a lot of "hold" (it doesn't claim to anyways). I have wavy-curly, shoulder-length hair and I like the fact that I can put something in my hair that's not sticky like gel. This product doesn't claim to hold curls but it did hold my curls for a few hours anyways. I find that once you start touching your hair, throughout the day, the product stops working. The key is not to touch your hair. Anyways, I can no longer afford to buy salon products but I still recommend this product.

on 8/4/2012 5:02:00 PM

This is perfect for my chin length, fine hair. It adds just the right amount of body without weighing it down or making it feel "crunchy". I use one pump of this with Aveda's smooth infusion and perfection is achieved! Love the Aveda fresh scents!

Popular Styling Products