Conair Naturals

on 9/24/2008 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This review is of the "Natural Wood Styling Brush with Boar Bristles" by Conair Naturals. I purchased it from Target for $12.99 plus tax. I have been searching for a brush like the Mason Pearson mixed bristle brush my grandmother has, but with a more reasonable price. I can't stomache the idea of spending $100 on a brush I might lose, no matter how much I like it. I have found pure boar bristle or nylon bristle brushes like the Mason Pearson pure boar bristle brushes, but never one like the mixed bristle brush.

The brush comes in a brown cardboard package made from 70% post-consumer recycled material, which is why I rated the packaging a 5. It's not particularly pretty, but it is very efficient and environmentally friendly. Very easy to open with no little twisty ties or little pieces of plastic.

The brush itself is about the size of a Mason Pearson Medium with 7 rows of bristles. The handle is made of a smooth hardwood called "pagoda wood" and has a rubber cushion pad. The bristles are mixed with long nylon and short boar/nylon bristles. The short bristles are not all boar's bristle like the Mason Pearson, only some of them are. I'm not sure about the ratio. They seem to work as well for smoothing the hair, although I think the bristles are denser and finer on a Mason Pearson.

Initially the long nylon bristles were very scratchy on my scalp. I melted the tips round with a lighter (actually a few since the lighters kept getting hot) so that they have the little nubs on them like a regular brush. This modification took several minutes and I had to go over it several times to get all the long nylon bristles, but it was worth it. Without that modification I probably would have rated the brush only a 3 or a 4. But now it feels great, just like a Mason Pearson brush!

I decided to switch to the no-poo method (not using any shampoo or conditioner) a few days ago and didn't want to scrub my scalp with baking soda since I have sensitive skin. This brush has worked wonders moving the natural oils to the ends of my strands. Considering when I was shampooing I had oily hair and had to shampoo every day I'm pretty impressed.

on 3/27/2008 1:31:00 AM

I really like these natural wood combs. I've only seen them at target so far for around 7.00. I got the styling comb it says it will gently untangle wet or dry hair. I've only used it on dry hair but it was amazing no pulling at all. I need to get more of these.

Popular Hair Styling Tools