December 18, 2014 | 897 users online

Treatments (Face) - Boots - Expert Anti-Blemish Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2010 5:13:00 PM More reviews by cabs

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Have been using this for a few weeks, and it has consistently worked for me, and I still can't believe it! This literately makes my spots disappear over night. I've actually had to search for the spot when I came to reapplying it the next day. This is a first for me, and I've tried many spot treatments. I am so used to my spots getting worse before they get better, but this has not been the case with this, they literacy disappear within 48 hours. When applied it's a cooling gel, which dries leaving a layer on the skin, so if you put on too much it peels off, but you only need a small amount. Again this has worked for me, and my mild outbreaks, according to the instructions there are other products to accompany this, which I haven't tried, as this does the job.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2008 7:16:00 AM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

OK cheap simple on-the-spot treatment. This light salicylic acid-based fragrance-free clear gel comes in a small (15 ml) tube, an excellent format for dotting on individual zits. The tube is also capable of standing up on its non-application end. Concentrated and cheap (EUR 6.10 / GBP 3.99).

Not quite as potent as Origins' Spot Remover, that I'm keeping for dramatic outbreaks; the Expert is much gentler. No issues on irritation. But - I'm not sure it actually does anything to pimplicious zones (chin, mainly - hormonal cystic acne). Hence I prefer three products whose results have been more tangible: the Spot Remover (for zapping), Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid (for nightly treatment), and Avene Cleanance (the non-K one) on zitty zones during the day.

Like Chelleywhite, I've been very impressed with those items in the Boots Expert Anti-Blemish line I've tried. I also agree with her that their marketing is (for once - and in a positive way - and speaking as a confirmed sceptic) spot-on to target non-teenage sufferers from the zittoricious blight. Many treatments formulated for earlier-onset acne are too harsh and drying; those of us with later-onset (and differently hormonally triggered) cystic acne need something gentler. The products' blurbs all starts out :

"Whatever your age, blemishes and blocked pores can be a problem. Take action with this..."

which is not only attractive to us oldies-but-softies, but more positive and proactive than many a message shot at Us by the misogynist machine that is the cosmetics industry, to keep women (and/via their new-found wealth, gained in turn from more open access to jobs) in a state of silliness and fear (paradoxically, through their new means to power). So thank you Boots, for bucking the system. Mind you, I'm in two minds whether it would be better still or an unutterable travesty to see the addition of great feminist icons on packaging - Joan of Arc with sword, Virginia Woolf plus pen, etc.

INGREDIENTS: aqua - alcohol denat. - butylene glycol - sodium citrate - salicylic acid - hydroxyethylcellulose. continued >>