August 20, 2014 | 1910 users online

Makeup Brushes - Coastal Scents - Large Paddle Face Brush

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2009 5:04:00 AM More reviews by pinkbrush

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this like a year ago with some other coastal scents brushes. I will never buy coastal scents brushes again because despite it being clever to market your brushes as MAC dupes, they are not dupes and you end up wasting your money on brushes that you would of never bought if you had seen them in person. This brush was another disappointment. Coastal scents brushes are NOT soft, they smell and they fall apart!

The brush that I have has no markings on it, it has a black handle, silver feral and black hairs. I try and use it for bronzer since it is giant and flat and I don't know what else it would be used for. It hurts my face to use this so I don't really and regret buying it. yes it is cheap, but you will regret buying it if you do.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/9/2009 4:46:00 AM More reviews by fromsmithwlove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this brush (the handle reads C309 Jumbo Chisel Powder Brush) from Coastal Scents, but I have mixed feelings about it. I use it every day for my all-over bronzer (I use a MAC 168 for contouring) and it's great for that. I also occasionally use it for blush if I'm in a hurry (I feel like my MAC 187 does a more natural job for blusher). It's still fairly soft, but the quality of the brush is just not equal to my MAC and Lancome brushes. Most of the brushes I own from CS have developed problems with the feral within the first two or three months (several have completed separated from their handles, despite careful washing). This one is still in good shape, but has definitely gotten more coarse the more times I wash it (I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo, like I do for all of my brushes). I like this brush a lot, but will probably not repurchase once it calls it quits.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2009 9:14:00 AM More reviews by Jenniferroyea

I bought two of these brushes - one for my mom. I have a MAC 136 Paddle brush which I LOVE and is now discontinued, and I was hoping this would be like that. It is not - it's WAY bigger. That being said, it is a really nice brush. Very soft and dense. Just difficult to use for some things, cuz of it's size. But it's awesome for powder. To be honest, I just cannot understand the negative reviews, except for that I have noticed that there is some inconsistencies with their products (see my other pointed dome review).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2009 8:32:00 PM More reviews by beebop808

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

OK! So I've had this brush for two months now. When I first received it was really soft and I would say it WAS comparable to my MAC powder brush. Nonetheless, I washed (with my MAC brush cleanser) it that same night I got it; let it completely dry until the next day....................but what a total disappointment! This brush lost its softness. The bristles became course. When applying my powders and loose powder it was very scratchy making it uncomfortable to use on my face. I tried washing and drying it again and again after each use, thinking that it would make the bristles softer, but it seems as each time I washed it, the quality of the brush diminished! I'm over it, I gave it to my youngest daughter to play with her play makeup!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2009 3:25:00 AM More reviews by brittneydaylee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So far, I really like this brush (but then again, I just got it a few days ago). I use this for my cheaper powders (only because I use my super expensive brushes for my super expensive makeup, I'm a little paranoid of mixing my good makeup with my drugstore makeup). I don't own the 134 by MAC yet, hopefully I'll get it soon and write an update about this brush. It did shed and bleed a little on the first wash, but it is a pretty inexpensive brush, so you kind of have to expect some of the Coastal Scents brushes to bleed and shed a little bit. It is also really soft.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/1/2008 3:09:00 AM More reviews by vearl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

It says on the website that this brush is comparable to MAC's. Um no. I certainly hope that the MAC one is not like this one. The bristles are so scratchy that I don't even want to use it on my body. You can SEE that the bristles are very cheap quality, dry and hard and just....blah. Totally a waste of money, although I didn't pay a lot for this...but it's still money. Seriously, don't buy this. If you want cheap but good quality brushes, I got the Sonia Kashuk powder brush for about $12 and it's a billion times better than this one. Oh and also it bleed like crazy after I washed it. Maybe it's just the one I got that's crappy but if you ask me I'll tell you don't waste your precious money on this.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/17/2008 9:41:00 PM More reviews by iwasntlazyinmay

Wow! What a brush and for the best price in the world! I cannot compare this brush to the MAC 134 but I can honestly say this is my favorite brush right now. I am a mineralized skinfinish natural and studio fix powder/foundation user. Since I have very oily skin, liquid foundation tends to cake on me easily. With my powder products, I have been using my MAC 182 and coastal scents black duo stippler brush. However, I like more sheer-light coverage so I needed a brush to provide that feel. I like the stippler brush but I love using it for blush rather than my foundation. I found that it gave me coverage in some spots and missed important ones. So instead of forking over my hard earned money to MAC once again, I decided to try this brush. I have always wanted the MAC 134 but since it's so pricey, I wanted an alternative. I am so happy with my purchase!! I have used this brush ever since I bought it for my mineralized skininish natural and studio fix powder. This grabs the right amount of product and lays it on the face flawlessly. It is so soft. The first wash bled a little and had a turpentine sort of smell. But it did not shed as much as the coastal scents stippler brush (which still sheds till this day!) It is a big fluffy paddle brush which glides the powder on the face for more sheer coverage. Still I can't compare to the MAC 134 since I have never used it. I think in the near future I'll probably budget it in but for now I am completely satisfied. For $9.95, you can't beat that. It is a little long but the paddle shaped bristles give it five stars. Also, you can benefit from using one side for one thing and the other for another product. I highly suggest this if you're looking for a brush to set off foundation, give sheer-light coverage and just an overall luxorious powder finish. I found that the kabuki brush with the mineralized skinfinishes give me more coverage than I want and made my face more orange looking than tan. Try this brush if you love mineralized skinfinish natural or use studio fix powder. Or any loose powders. You will love it.EDIT 9/10/08: I DON'T LIKE THIS BRUSH ANYMORE. SHEDS LIKE CRAZY AND HAS BECOME SCRATCHY. AFTER MANY WASHES, IT S T I L L BLEEDS BLUE AND YUCKY BLACK CRAP! NO WONDER I HAVE BEEN BREAKING OUT! DON'T BUY COASTAL SCENTS BRUSHES UNLESS YOU WANT WHAT YOU PAID FOR.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2008 2:31:00 AM More reviews by nzgal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

OMG! I love this brush soooo much! It is so soft and thick and Luxurious. This brush applies powder like a dream and also works well to buff and blend out foundation, blush, etc.

Amazing price for a brush this big and beautiful. Comes wonderfully packaged and with a free sample. I'll definitely be going back to CoastScents for more brushes ;)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2008 8:16:00 AM More reviews by KarmAttack

The website says this is comparable to the MAC 134 brush, but since I don't have that one I can't say how accurate that comparison is.
It says it is made of natural hairs but I am really not sure. It might be natural fibre hair bristles, but it smells synthetic, although that could be the dye they used. It's not quite as soft as the Italian badger brushes, but it's note poke-y either. This had a weird very synthetic smell to it when washing it with baby shampoo and it did shed a bit when washing. I think it is the dye that gives off the weird smell, but I'm not sure. It bled a little bit when washing the 1st time but did not stain.

The brush hairs are cut into a contoured, slightly chiseled tip at the top. You could use this for finishing powder, translucent powder, or dusting away spillage. I've also used this for applying blush or just blending it out a bit.

I am undecided if I would re-purchase.