October 24, 2014 | 1590 users online

Conditioner - Dr. Bronner's - Organic Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2014 7:18:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I actually love this product and really like hair rinses. I don't shampoo with Bronner's because it's not good for coloured hair, but my hair is naturally blonde and this rinse and hanging in the sun is making my hair blonder. I love it for my length I use 2 capfuls yes, it looks gross but my goodness does it make my hair shiny and blonde. I love to use this at the pool. I'll lightly wash the chlorine out then do a rinse with this. I hang out by the pool slathered in sun block and by the time I get home the citrus really makes a difference. My hair is very thick and very long down to my behind and this allows me to get a brush through it. My hair is shiny and not frizzy at all.

My hair behaves really well with this and I also use this after conditioner. The mix of citrus works really well. I thought it would dry my hair but not even close. It is soft smooth, and I don't need styling products. I always let my hair air dry in the summer and this with some Argan oil is lovely for me. The rinse is very natural and that is what Dr. Bronner's is about so I dig that. It amazingly works on my long hair and the citrus makes it blonder and shinier.

It's not hard to mix either I put a capful in a cup fill with Luke warm water and rinse. I massage it through my hair then rinse with cool water till clear. A little argan oil and that's all I need! Hair simplicity is something I love and need with hair this length and thickness. I think this is a very good product and since I am a fan of rinses I will repurchase. For me natural products seem to work best for my hair. Everyone is different but if you like the more natural route and enjoy rinses this is a good one to try. Recommended!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2012 6:55:00 PM More reviews by talialovesdogs

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really like this product. I usually don't ever use conditioner because it makes my hair greasy, but this stuff is amazing!

I start by washing my hair with Black African soap in the tangerine scent and then put a cupful of this stuff into a cup and fill the cup with water and pour over my head. The bottle says to then rinse, but I like to scrub it into my scalp and then sit for about 3 minutes while I wash my body before rinsing.(And I rinse for a while)

I don't blow-dry my hair or use any other products on my hair. These two products together make my hair sooo shiny and manageable! Without drying my hair out or making it greasy. I wash my hair with Black African soap twice a week and use this everyday.

I would recommend this to anyone! It smells like the chewable vitamin c and it does wonders for your hair. I don't really understand why the concept of putting a cupful into a glass of water is such a hard task for so many people. I keep a plastic cup in my shower and pour about a cupful in. It's not messy and it's just one extra step....I think it smells nice and its so cheap! $7.99 for a whole bottle! And it lasts! That's way cheaper than any other natural conditioner I've seen and most of those "natural" conditioners are still filled with synthetic ingredients!

Pros- makes hair shiny and manageable, smells nice, is cheap and easy to use, has no synthetic ingredients.

Cons-It doesn't have any silicons in it. For me this is a good thing, but if you are using a silicone based conditioner and are thinking of switching to this your hair may feel dried out due to the lack of silicone. Silicone binds over the hair causing the hair to become brittle and dried out, but because the silicone is over your hair it seems soft. But once you stop using silicone that layer of plastic(aka silicone) will go away. But if you stick with it and use non silicone for a few months your hair will be much softer than when you were using silicone. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2011 7:59:00 PM More reviews by kdelossantos

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Im not sure why people complain about this product. It was designed to work with the castil soap. I got my order in today. I washed my hair with the Almond castile soap (which left my hair goopy before).
Then I delutied as stated and then rinsed into my hair. Then I rinsed with water. Like magic all the castil soap goopy feeling was gone and I have soft shiney hair. It isnt as conditioning as regular conditioner. But this is to be expected with all natural products. As far as the smell I think it smells like lemons. The smell leaves as soon as you dry your hair. I think its an awsome product and Im glade I tried it with the castil soap for my hair. It s a great alternative to bathing if you are like me and cant use synthetic products do to sensitive skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2011 11:38:00 AM More reviews by Kelly9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Sorry, Dr. Bronner's. This was not good. I give it credit for being all natural, and the first commercial conditioner I have seen meant to be used after soap washing (instead of concocting your own lemon, vinegar, or other acidic rinse).

I did like the scent. If you made a cup of lemon juice and coconut oil, that is what this would smell like. Very natural.

I wasn't bothered by the process of using it. The directions say to take a capful of the (brown!) liquid and mix it into a cup of water. That doesn't strike me as difficult or inconvenient. Surely safer than keeping that glass bottle of ACV in the shower...

Pouring it over my hair in the shower, I could feel the lemon on my scalp, but I could also feel the coconut and other oils clinging on my hair strands. It felt soft when I rinsed, but my hair also felt coated when it dried. I have fine hair, so maybe it just didn't work for my type. I also noticed my hair smelled dirty faster than usual.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2009 2:23:00 PM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

If you're crazy enough to use Dr Bronners liquid soaps as shampoo on hair over 1 inch li=ong then you're crazy enough to buy this in the hope that it will repair the horrible tangled mess the soap left behind.
I bought it, used it and uninpressed waited for the soothing, detangling efects to happen. All I got was the most stinking smell, a consistency and colour of brown bean diarroeah and NOTHING ELSE. I used the 2 capfuls - Nothing. 4 capfuls still nothing. 6 capfuls adn I felt it a little, washed it out and after my hair ahd dried it still had that horrible smell and didn't od much for my hair.
The next time i tried it I had a scrathc on myscalp and boy did that stuff BURN. This time it left my hair hard feeling and the smell was so overbearing. I threw it in the back of the bathroom cabinet.

If you're looking for moisture and coditioning this isn't it. For $10 it's way to expensive for what it is when you can buy a variety of other natural shampoo lines for the less that work better. Save your money. If the cost doesn't make you disturbed the smell will.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2008 11:56:00 PM More reviews by bellapoison

I purchased this product as part of my no ‘poo experiment. Previously I was washing my hair with baking soda and rinsing with diluted apple cider vinegar.

The rinse is brown and grainy, with a liquid consistency. Recommended use is dilution of 1 or 2 capsful in 1 cup of water. This sounded like a hassle to try to do in the shower every time I wanted to condition my hair, so I pre-mixed 2 cups of water with 2 capsful of rinse in an empty bottle. The scent is strong and lemony.

Over the past couple of months, I have used the rinse consistently as a conditioner, following a wash with Dr. Bronner’s liquid castile soap or Burt's Bees shampoo. (Application of the rinse from a squeeze bottle is much easier than trying to pour from an open cup.) My hair is short, about collar length, and I used about 3/4 cup of mix per wash. Rinsing thoroughly with water is important because, just as with apple cider vinegar, an incomplete rinse may leave your hair with a waxy feeling.

The rinse had an instant detangling effect, making my hair feel sleek and thick. My hair was easy to style following this conditioning treatment; the detangling was as significant as with one of my favorite conditioners, Origins’ Knot Free. I noticed a lingering lemon scent on my hair which dissipated after a few minutes (or after application of styling products).

PROS:

* Economical (unless you have very long hair, you will use on average 1 capful of conditioning rinse per wash)
* Organic/fair trade ingredients
* Cruelty-free
* Excellent detangling
* Possible anti-dandruff properties

CONS:

* Strong lemon smell during wash (possibly a pro, depending on how much you like lemons)
* Unusual procedure (dilution may be a hassle)
* Requires thorough rinsing with water (possible residue after a quick rinse)
* Lemon juice may irritate cuts or abrasions on scalp
* Messy cap (unless you rinse the cap out after every use, product drips down the sides of the bottle)

VERDICT: After adjusting to unusual dilution/pouring method, I really like the way my hair feels both during and after use of Dr. Bronner’s Conditioning Hair Rinse. It’s easier to rinse and less waxy feeling than apple cider vinegar, but it has the same conditioning/detangling effect as my conventional conditioner. For no/low ‘pooers who are looking for an ACV alternative—or for any organic-beauty lovers— I recommend this product.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/13/2008 2:47:00 PM More reviews by Jeda21

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I found this to clump my hair together and cause scalp breakouts due to a lack of rinsability. Threw this away as soon as I could.

I have colored hair that's naturally wavy with normal scalp.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2008 7:49:00 PM More reviews by Genia1

This product is meant to remove the residue left by natural shampoo before you apply conditioner. I don't use natural shampoo, though, and so I've just been using the rinse in place of conditioner, and I actually prefer it to standard conditioner. As a rinse, you're supposed to dilute it in a cup of water and pour it over your hair, but I just put a bunch of it in my palm without diluting it and apply it directly to my hair. Then I rinse it out. When my hair is still wet, it doesn't feel like it's been conditioned -- it actually feels a little stiff. But once I blow it dry, it's so incredibly soft and shiny that I'm sold.

Ingredients: Organic Shikakai Powder extracted in Organic Concentrated Lemon Juice, Organic Coconut Fatty Acids, Organic Olive Fatty Acids, Organic Hemp Fatty Acids, Potassium Citrate (made with Organic Lemon Juice), Organic Lemon Oil, Organic Orange Oil.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No