November 22, 2014 | 1798 users online

Lipstick - Revlon - Colorstay Soft and Smooth lipcolor in 345 Red Velvet

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2013 12:11:00 PM More reviews by luckylouie

The perfect shade of red for my complexion - light olive skin, dark brown hair. I only look good in warm toned reds, and really only look good in ones that are not too dark or heavy looking. This has turned out to be my perfect red as long as I apply it in the ftollowing way: line lips first to get a really clean outline, fill in,allow to set for a few seconds and then blot. This takes off about half the lipstick and gives me plenty of colour without looking garish. It can be a bit drying, as with all of the longwear lipsticks, but I find that once it has set I can top it with a lip balm. Very happy with this. The only downside is that I have to purchase it off Ebay, but I can live with that.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2012 8:17:00 PM More reviews by equity

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

NC25/30 (yellow toned), black hair and dark brown eyes (Chinese). Combination skin with some shine on forehead and nose.
Shade - A matte red (with neutral/cool undertones). Very pigmented but not too bright/dark.

I loved this red lipstick - it brightens my face so much. It is too pigmented when I wear it straight from the lipstick (without any blotting), so how I wear it is to apply it direct to my lips, and blot over with tissue.

Staying powder was good. I only had to retouch after lunch (and even, only a little lipstick had worn off). Perfect for the price. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2011 6:29:00 PM More reviews by SirenRose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Yay! I was so happy to find this at my local Ulta. I'd been hearing about Revlon's Lip Butters, especially Red Velvet, for a couple of weeks. I picked up a tube and checked out the ingredients. Coconut oil, shea butter, mango butter, jojoba oil, squalane, palmitoyl oligopeptides... woo hoo!

And then I saw... petrolatum. I made a very sad face. Petroleum jelly has a bad habit of sealing skin like plastic wrap and causing dryness over time. However, I decided to buy two tubes. This would be the only lip product containing petroleum jelly in my collection, and I was planning on always applying balm underneath, so the small amount of petrolatum wouldn't be a problem.

I am very, very glad I bought this. Red Velvet is absoloutely gorgeous: A very deep, highly pigmented, neutral dark red. I have very fair Mediterranean skin with neutral to yellow undertones, and Red Velvet works with my complexion perfectly. It's a very "bitten" red, kind of bloody and blush-like. It's similar to my favorite upscale red lipstick, Nars' Shanghai Express. I would say, officially, that Revlon's Lip Butter in Red Velvet is now my favorite drugstore lipstick, alongside Black Radiance's Sheer Lipstick tint in Crimson (which also contains peptides).

I think that for people who don't like petrolatum but would still want to wear Lip Butter, it's best to always apply a natural balm like shea butter, cocoa butter, coconut oil, etc, before they apply the lipstick. I find it slightly absurd that Revlon would include petrolatum in a product that already has plenty of moisturizing emollients, but it could be for glide and texture. Regardless, I adore Red Velvet!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2010 6:18:00 AM More reviews by 34lenorexena

This is a gorgeous lipstick and I wear it daily and often receive compliments about it... My tip is to layer a similar revlon creme lipstick over the top - I swear it lasts for 8 hours!! I use #675 Volcanic red and it looks and feels great. Keep your eye makeup simple though otherwise you might end up looking a bit 80's.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2010 10:48:00 PM More reviews by jenniviva

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was so impressed by this red lipstick! Usually I don't like Revlon but this lip colour...

~Had amazing pigmentation...the red was so rich!
~Stayed for a very long time
~Didn't look too orangey nor too dark
~Application was smooth, and didn't dry out my lips.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2010 1:26:00 PM More reviews by MaxFun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

The staying power of this lipstick is amazing. Revlon really stays faithful to the colorstay promise.
It goes on a lot thinner and more liquid than I thought it would, but after getting used to it, it's fine.
I'm not sure if it's just me, but I feel that this product is very drying on the lips. It doesn't give me any moisture and makes me quite uneven if that makes sense.
The colour is great, it's very well pigmented.
It would be a really lovely product if it would just be a tad more moisturizing.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/20/2010 8:38:00 PM More reviews by KimberlyDoll10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was disappointed and did not like this product. I got this color because it can be bold for a night out, but if you pat it lightly it is a more subtle red. I was fine with the color though Im sure its too bright for many. It just didnt last long for me even with lipliner, and sometimes made my lips a bit flaky. It faded like normal nonlongwearing lipsticks do, not worth it for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2010 7:27:00 PM More reviews by hodgam8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Amazing! I love the color and it has pretty good staying power as well. Application is easy - it just needs a few minutes to dry to prevent smudging. This was my go to red lipstick before I bought Russian Red so its definitely my favorite drugstore red lipstick - absolutely worth picking up

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2010 3:49:00 AM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Whenever I use this lipstick, I always lament the OG Colorstay red I used to use in the 90's. Vivid matte red... sigh... This one lasts but not as long as the original, and it's not as matte, either. But it's still a vivid glam red I often wear.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2010 1:33:00 AM More reviews by bailuli

First, I have to say that I really really really adore the Revlon Colorstay Soft & Smooth lipsticks. I went and hunted down Cozy Coral and Smooth Nude after watching a youtuber wearing it, and have loved both since. A while back Walgreens had a huge sale of these l/s for $2.49 each, and I was lamenting over missing it (both CC and SN were bought at bogof prices, which is higher than the $2.49 sales price). When I saw these l/s go on 75% off sale at CVS ($2.49 each again), i totally jumped on it. Granted not all the colors I bought were things I normally would wear, but because I love the texture and lasting power of these so much, i just HAD to buy them.

These goes on super smooth and creamy, and for the most part, each of them are medium to highly pigmented. No sheerness anywhere here! Some are higher in pigmentation than others, however, such as Red Velvet. It is a gorgeous neutral shade of red. I'm NC25 asian (yellow) so I wouldn't have looked good in most cool toned colors, but this looked great on me. It went on super smooth, and it was also very easy to apply and not get it all over the place. Red lips are known to be difficult to apply (due to the precision of the lines) but i was able to apply this in a couple of swipes, and had almost perfectly shaped lips.

note that these lipsticks require a bit of setting time. When you first apply these, they go on smooth and VERy creamy, and during this period it is easy to get it off (like blotting or if you happens to drink or eat). About 20 seconds later, it will set onto your lips. At this point if you blot, unless you press really hard at your lips, it actually won't be coming off. I noticed even when I DO blot hard, the color still stays (though some transfer onto the paper towel). The only sure way to get it completely off is to wipe at your lips harshly (I don't recommend this!) or mu remover, or let it come off naturally over time. However, unlike the colostay ultimate and overtime liquid lipsticks, these do NOT become flakey and dry.

I don't know when i'm going to wear this red color, but it is definitely a very gorgeous red and hte texture and lasting power is awesome.