December 19, 2014 | 1123 users online

Nail Tools - OPI - Crystal File

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2014 7:52:00 AM More reviews by mellouise

It's a really good crystal file. My 2 bugbears are that 1. The case is really flimsy and has cracked after 3 years - this may seem picky, but when the file has the potential to last forever l reckon the case should too. 2. I still have to use my metal file to get into the corners where my nail meets skin, otherwise l end up with messy corners and a layer of nail that hangs on. It's good for taking length down quickly. To clean it l scrub with my dish washing brush and soap.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2014 2:29:00 PM More reviews by HookedM

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

What I really like about it is the feather light touch you can use, in fact must use. It's strange to use in it removes nail like its a 10 grit sanding machine yet it leaves such a smooth surface. Use a light touch and pay attention otherwise you'll end up removing to much to fast. It's a good file. Now if they could just solve the never ending problem I have filing with my off hand...

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2014 8:37:00 PM More reviews by jenikeni

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

this glass nail file has saved my nails! I bought it out of curiosity since one of my customers purchased a hundred dollars worth of them to give out as gifts. I thought it was a bit pricey at first but after searching online all about glass nail files I learned a few things that helped me make a reasonable purchase and to avoid all the phony files out there that are floating around and wearing away that still cost a ton and put shame on a good product.

Heres what I learned from a bit of research:

glass/crystal files are different terms for the same item
your file will never wear away only if the grit is acid etched and it is truly one piece of glass
most glass files grit is sprayed on and will easily wear away
all of the ones that are made in the Czech republic are a sure shot because of the standards there and the small family companies that make them
they seal the free edge of your nail so it soaks up much less water and overtime the layers of your nail hold together much better which stops all peeling and chipping of the nails completely
files much faster and more effectively no need for traumatizing clippers
may even be used on pets!

I have previously tried glass/crystal files from: nail tek, Avon, Amazon, Kbshimmer and they were either too squeaky, rough, or thick so I couldn't file the sides of my nails or the grit wore away! Soooo glad I gave opi's a try and will never need a new one unless it breaks! I've dropped it and everything so far it hasn't broken and it's put away when not in use so it will really last me. Nothing will ever touch my nails again as they are so much longer and stronger I have to cut them before I hurt myself!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2012 1:09:00 AM More reviews by leGingbot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This was the first crystal nail file I bought, and while I now alternate between it and my NailTek file, this one will always be my favorite.
I have very soft, weak nails that tend to peel into layers at the tips, and the metal files I used to use just seemed to exacerbate the problem (granted, they were not even close to high quality nail files). So when I bought a treatment to strengthen my weak nails, I tossed the nail file in, thinking it couldn't hurt.
The texture was the hardest to get used to. Filing my nails with metal was bad enough, but crystal...oh god, the first weeks I dreaded it because it just felt like nails on a chalkboard to me. It took a while for me to transition from metal to crystal because of the texture alone.
I'm happy to report, though, that the state of my nails greatly improved with the use of the file (although the strengthening system also has helped)-the splitting and peeling of my nails has gone down drastically, and the ends of my nails are smooth, strong, and the texture hardly bothers me anymore.
The file is pretty durable, although it is glass and care should be taken. I store mine in a little box with other nail implements on my bedside table. The end of it is somewhat pointy, so be careful not to jab yourself. Other than that, it's great.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2012 8:18:00 PM More reviews by prettykitty80

I lurrve my OPI file! We're very limited as to the brands we can buy here in Australia, so to be able to find a quality crystal file made me pretty happy :)
It's gentle but efficient and doesn't make that horrible squeaky noise ;/ I use it weekly to smoothe out my nails and shorten them a little. I keep it in the tube thingy as I've heard they can be fragile, and haven't had a problem. I'd consider buying another one for my purse, but I only really file my nails at home anyway...unless God forbid i broke one, eek!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/21/2011 6:34:00 AM More reviews by Perfumefan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought 3 of these expensive OPI crystal files because of all the raves. I'm on my third now, they're sooo fragile. And I've always been very careful with them, go figure.

I don't notice any difference with a regular diamond file, except the OPI breaks so easily. And the tip is extremely sharp; much sharper than regular files. I've pricked myself with it more often than I'd like, and drew blood every time. As soon as this last one breaks, I'll be going back to a diamond file.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2011 9:19:00 PM More reviews by dyanp989

Love, love, love this! I'm on number 2 (it is crystal and is definitely fragile ...if your S.O. Is anything like mine, don't expect it to last very long under harsh conditions). I bought my second and have since bought two more - one for my mom, and one for my 94 year old grandmother. Expensive fir a file, but so gentle it's worth every penny.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2010 12:15:00 AM More reviews by ashleydutta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

My gosh, why am I the only one who doesn't like this? I absolutely hate this file! I thought that glass crystal files were supposed to be more gentle on the nails and file them more smoothly -- NOT this. it is as bad as any cheap emory board or bad metal file. I started with long nails, and had nubs after using this once. It ground them completely down! the surface is very coarse. i couldn't shape my nails at all without the file eating them all away :-(. TERRIBLE file, and to think, I bought 2 of them! :-(.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2010 9:54:00 AM More reviews by Xarina

This is my first crystal nail file and I like what I see! Compared to emery files, this files more with less effort. I also did a little test where I filed one index finger with the OPI crystal nail file and my other index finger with a normal emery file and I could feel the difference, the crystal nail file is much more smooth and sleek whereas the emery felt kind of rough in comparison. Some people complain about the feeling, I couldn't understand so I filed my bf's nails and he cringed and was like "it feels like I'm scratching a chalkboard" and I was like wha? I don't feel like that... and then he goes... "When I was in middle school, I would purposely scratch the chalkboard to make that annoying sound to piss ppl off..." So unless you know the feeling of scratching your nails on a chalkboard I doubt the feeling should bother you. NO it doesn't make the chalkboard sound when you file your nails! I guess the "feeling"? But I wouldn't know what it feels like.. since I never did that during my high school career.. anyways! I love this nail file... though I keep looking at Nail Tek's crystal file case... with envy.. but other than that it's awesome! I too will probably never go back to using emery boards... :)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2009 9:17:00 PM More reviews by baxy8

I bought this file recently at Winners for only $4.99! Deal of the century. It didn't come with any directions or anything and I threw away the packaging! Oops.
I've never tried this kind of nail file before, but I love it. It is gentle, and doesn't leave my nails ragged after filing. The only thing I don't like is the smell of my nails being filed away. Maybe its just me?