December 22, 2014 | 1778 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 85

rated 1 of 5 on 9/15/2014 12:45:00 AM More reviews by camenzind

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Broke me out instantly. Put it on in the morning, and by noon I counted about ten little tiny whiteheads across my nose and cheeks. That was last week. This week, and I am still trying to get rid of the little bastards! Didn't get burned that day, and it didn't leave a white cast (which I'm grateful for, though maybe a white cast might have helped to camouflage my new "friends"...), but this stuff is terrible and absolutely unsuitable for acne-prone skin. A shame, because it was recommend by my dermatologist.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/21/2014 1:54:00 AM More reviews by AllyDean

From past experiences, sunblock just doesn't agree with my skin. It gets greasy fast sitting on top of my moisturiser and makeup slips off fast sitting on sunblock. Plus I hate the feeling and smell of sunblock on my skin. But since I needed to add sunblock to my daily routine, I decided to try this product based on the MUA reviews.

I was quite impressed with the "dry-touch". The product sinks into the skin immediately as you apply it and doesn't leave skin feeling greasy, oily or sticky. There is an evident layer of sunblock similar to the feeling of foundation/ bb cream but it's not heavy or noticeable unless you touch your face. It doesn't have the sunblock smell which I'm quite happy about and I've found that it reduces the amount of oil that accumulates on my skin when I go to reapply. The sunblock only mattes my skin for a 1-2 hours, so I still need to use blotting paper before I reapply sunscreen.

I haven't had any breakout issues or clogged pores, although I do use this product on top of moisturiser which may or may not have provided a layer of protection between my skin and the sunblock. I've also had no issues with removing the sunblock that I've seen on some reviews. Overall, will repurchase unless I found something better.

*UPDATE*
This product is clogging up my pores on my forehead even though its supposed to be non-comedogenic. I didn't notice before but it's definitely getting worse the longer I use this sunscreen! Other areas of my face are surprisingly fine, but this product is just not agreeable with my forehead.

Also noticed that if it gets in your eye, eg from sweating or rubbing, it stings A LOT and you will be immobilised from the stinging. Prepare to have tissues with you for such an event!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/21/2013 5:26:00 PM More reviews by Biioniic

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this, nice high protection but you need to use moisturizer before put the suncream or IT WILL BREAK YOU OUT. Only bad thing about it it takes absolutely forever to blend in

rated 2 of 5 on 10/8/2013 7:18:00 PM More reviews by Stishy

I'm really disappointed by this sunscreen. I had high hopes- it's got relatively high ratings, and its cousin (spf 30 Ultra Sheer) has been raved about in almost every sunscreen article I've read. Here's my take on it:

Pros:
- Absorbs quickly
- Non-greasy
- Doesn't leave a white cast

Cons:
- Broke me out
- Doesn't deal well with sweat
- Can't be used well with certain makeup products and other products (especially benzyl peroxide).

Overall, not very pleased. If you have to wear makeup on top of your sunscreen, and your skin is prone to breakouts, do not use this on your face. I will have to use this on my decollete and hands instead. What a shame!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/5/2013 2:36:00 PM More reviews by kweeket

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This sunscreen is not greasy or whitening, unlike many I've tried. I haven't noticed any breakouts, but it does cause my mineral makeup to slip off my face after 5 or 6 hours, and generally I think I look worse with sunscreen on. But, this is true for all sunscreens, and this one doesn't make me look super shiny (unlike Bioderma Photoderm). My main concern is with all the chemicals - especially for daily use. I think I will be switching to a physical sunblock once this bottle runs out. Or, save it for days when I know I will be out in the sun all day, and use a less toxic product for my everyday.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 5:11:00 AM More reviews by ncho022

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I haven't found another suncreen that I can trust to give me the same amount of protection. I use it every morning and it doesn't melt off. I find it hard to wear makeup on top of this though- it doesn't last. I'm not too fussed about that though because I hardly ever wear makeup during the day.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by doristam

I use this on my body during hiking and it holds up pretty well. If I put on 1 layer then it's "dry-touch" but reapplications will make my skin look shiny.

I would not recommend this for the face - I've used the product once or twice during hikes and the sunscreen will streak with your sweat down into your eyes - sting city! Also, sweat also creates major white cast. I think the chemicals are pretty intense so it'll break your face out if you apply a lot.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2012 3:03:00 PM More reviews by amnahp12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this. LOVE. I didn't expect to, but okay, here goes.
A few years ago I used Neutrogena SPF 70 as my primary sunscren during an entire Florida summer [sigh, I don't know how much good it did since I tanned a lot - I prefer not to tan, skin damage and all, plus I get pale blotches on my face and look really sallow, yayyy] and recently started using SPF 85 on my face again, during the last several weeks. I know, not a very long time to base a review on. BUT, keep in mind that prior to this I was on an all-natural regimen for my face, and moisturized with oils. Well, after a few months of this, I noticed that my pores were getting clogged. Breakouts I relegated to other causes, but the clogged pores? That had to be the oils. I started taming it with ACV, and eventually identified the culprit and cut out straight oils for my face altogether [though I have no problem using Herbal Choice Mari oil-based creams on my face, and straight oils around the eye area] - I just haven't found my magic oil yet. I digress ....anyway.

I stopped using the oils, and decided it was high time I start listening to what everyone says about using sunscreen every day, so as I had a bottle of this laying around, started using it as my primary moisturizer every morning [I know, I know, it's bad and I should use 'real' moisturizer. But whatever lol.] After a few weeks, my clogged pores are MUCH better [yay ACV!] and my overall tone seems more even. Every time I put this one my face, it gives me an instant brightening boost. Win! Additionally, even though it's been winter/early spring, my complexion seems to have lightened just a touch.

I don't consider it greasy at all, though it might seem that way for a few minutes after you put it on. It hasn't broken me out or clogged my pores at all, and I have fairly sensitive skin these days. Do I care about all the chemicals in here? Or that higher numbers don't necessarily result in better protection? No ... not really. Physical sunblocks give me an even nicer brightening boost, but smear and always leave white patches throughout the day, as I usually wear glasses and have a bad habit of touching/scratching my face. At this point, the results don't lie. I'll be wanting to try the 100+ spfs next. Will it make a difference? Probably not, but if it's all in the psychology, I'll take it anyway.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/18/2011 12:01:00 PM More reviews by sjg1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I normally use Clinique City Block SPF 25. After a series of big breakouts on my face (on my cheeks), a friend recommended this. I have mixed feelings - more like 3.5 stars.
Pros:
-absorbs fast
-minimal white cast (espec compare to City Block)
-no big breakouts - a few minor red bumps around jaw
-broad spectrum
-pretty good price

Cons
-not very dry touch - often gets oily, filmy on skin
-whitish areas can appear after a few hours
-eye are irritation
-has fragrance - wish they had left this out!
(Except for the eye irritation none of these are specific to Neutrogena - with Clinique I have similar issues).

My inclination is to keep using this because it doesnt make break out on my cheeks and it is broad spectrum. It seems that no matter what, if I put sunblock on my face I get breakouts and this seems to so far cause minimal skin issues for the sun protection. But I will keep a look out for better products.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/24/2011 5:50:00 PM More reviews by kamagi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have mixed feelings about this product.

I think the name of this title is TOTAL BS. "DRY-touch" ?? Not really, this sunscreen's kinda on the oily side. (Surprise surprise..) Espacially when you're almost done with it, sometimes just OIL comes out .. But whatever. I have normal-oily skin and I don't really break out that easily so I still continue to use this because it does a pretty good job of keeping myself from getting tan. But I don't like how it kind of makes my face a bit shiny when I put it on (I guess the shine goes away a little later..but I don't know this stuff is pretty greasy for me compared to some other sunscreens I used). I guess it won't be much of a problem if I had some oil blotting papers.

All in all, I guess I'll repurchase this(since I can't find any other better sunscreens at the moment) and just because it keeps me from getting tan and doesn't really break me out and the packaging is pretty good. It's slim so it fits in your bag or whatever. I only need to use a little bit of this due to how oily this stuff is. I don't recommend this for VERY oily skin people (people who have to blot their skin often and has a shiny face) but I think this product would be great for people with dry skin. ... Since I have normal/oily skin I'm okay with using this (I skip moisturizer though). ...