August 30, 2014 | 1137 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Dream Blonde

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2013 4:03:00 PM More reviews by EL2016

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This product did pretty much nothing for my hair. I have medium brown hair, and I tried to do an ombre effect. This product barely lightened it and now it looks slightly orange. I bought this in the "glistening magnolia" color. I would not recommend this. For a $15 box color, it should work much better.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2011 5:08:00 PM More reviews by Laudes

FIRST, the problems: "...Would I buy this product again?" - Sure, I DEFINITELY would - assuming I could find it! As of this month (July 2011) I can't find L'Oreal Superior Preference Dream Blonde ANYWHERE, & I've used it for about 3 years. (I have an earlier review of it here, I think.)
You can get it from the L'OREAL site, but their source is AMAZON, & AMAZON's boxes of it come from various liquidators of discontinued items ( - BTW, is that something to worry about, quality-wise? If you know, perhaps you'd email me on MUA?).

REVIEW: I have dark blonde/light brown hair, & this haircolor (I use #11, "Glistening Magnolia") gives me a light, gorgeous, ashy blonde. My hair, which is curly, tangled, fine & dry, comes out soft, silky & conditioned. It doesn't give me a PALE ashy blonde, which is what I'd hoped for, but it really is beautiful, and MUCH lighter than my natural hair color. With #11, I'm definitely a BLONDE: no half-way results, & no need to fix the color!
I've found that my hair looks very brassy when it's been dried but weirdly, this lasts just 1 day. I guess the Haircolor Fairy comes during the night, because the next day, I inexplicably wake up with perfectly ashy, light blonde hair.
DREAM BLONDE isn't the quickest, cheapest or simplest haircolor to use, but it's well worth it!

One last thing - I don't know for sure whether L'Oreal has discontinued DREAM BLONDE, but if you decide to try it & you get hooked, like me, good luck! I've found 2 FANTASTIC L'Oreal coloring products over the years (1 FERIA shade that made me the pale ash blonde of my dreams, then another which was nearly as good) and they've ALWAYS discontinued them! If anyone knows a really good brand of color to take light brown hair to light, truly ashy blonde hair, I would love to hear about it, but 'til there's something else, I guess I'll be stocking up from liquidators (& crossing my fingers!).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2011 10:09:00 PM More reviews by Fire00

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I would love to buy this product but can't seem to find it in the stores anymore. I like the way you hair feels and looks after using it. I think it is a great product.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2011 3:50:00 PM More reviews by jassygirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was my first at home hair colour job and I have to start by saying it was the most stressful thing I have EVER done. I'm writing this review because like many I read every review I could find for suggestions and results, so I'm paying it forward.

I have natural dark brown hair. I have been getting it highlighted at salons for years, but they never go as blonde as I want because I have damaged thin hair and they just wont do it. My roots were starting to grow in and like many cash was short, so I took the plunge!

I used the dream blonde 100 bleach. I started with roots because they are the darkest and the rest is already a nice highlighted blonde. I waited the max around 45 minutes.. i could see it was still orange, but i hear bleach stops working after around 45 minutes. I have to say for me it was applying the product was the hardest. I should have looked up more on how to do that, because without a friend it's hard. My job was very patchy. Some places got to the light orange.. other parts didn't.. so oddly enough where i had brown lowlights they are still brown :S but i actually was glad cause it still looks like i have nice highlights..

ok so now to the orange! I bought natural insticts by clairol in sahara light blonde to try and tone out the orange (i was expecting orange from reviews) - this lightened it a bit, but also darkened a few of my platinum blonde streaks.. still overall blended everything nicely and gave me a pale light orange root

so onto the purple shampoo! i used john freda sheer blonde's purple shampoo (all i could find at shoppers drug mart) and ive used that twice now and definitely see an improvement.. the orange is coming out slowly.. it will be a long process

the one thing that stressed me the most was the WET hair.. i panicked everytime i came out of the shower from taking off the dye.. it looks waaaay worse wet then it does dry.. when i dried i was didnt mind it much

if you have dark hair like me you wont get blonde from dream blonde.. unless you did it 2 times (i didnt have another box and i found it was really harsh on my already damaged hair but im sure 2 times would work)

get a friend to help apply it cause that part sucked for me.. dream blonde WILL strip the colour to orange.. and then lots of toning and purple shampoo should get rid of it

i currently still have orange root hair.. but with sometime i hope to fix that

note i already had highlighted hair.. the bleach took beautifully on my already highlighted hair.. just not the roots!

good luck everyone.. dont panick like me! dry it and you might like it more than the wet version that makes you want to call your hair stylist immediately (oh i did call and they were booked for the day so i decided to dry it and see what i can do with it lol)

also for damage wise.. hair didnt fall out.. after bleaching it did feel like straw on my already highlighted hair, but with several deep conditionings its doing fine and back to a soft feeling.. the clairol natural instincts actually made it super soft

k rant done! would i do it again.. id say no now.. but MAYBE end result is not so bad

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2011 12:37:00 PM More reviews by thechick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this on sale at my local drug store for 9 bucks the picture was how I wanted my hair to look like a light baby blonde. I will say that it has some nice conditioning treatments but thats it.

I am naturally dark blonde was very light blonde as a teen. My hair turned out yellow not like the picture at all. I had it on for 60 min but it was still really yellow.

I went to my hairstylist and had a toner put on for another 30 bucks. You can still see the yellow : (

If anyone knows of a good box of blonde please pm me.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/6/2011 8:48:00 PM More reviews by punkgurlly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I used this in Extra light blonde and my natural color is probably a 6 cool or 7 natural. I was impressed with how it didn't damage my hair and all the goodies that can with it. I just used it for a root touch up since the rest of my hair is fairly light, I bleached it the month prior, the roots got to a nice bright brass goldencolor. I left the color on longer then the suggested time around 45 minutes. I even used Brass Banisher, which helped a lil, but the issue was the dream blonde just didn't lift my natural color that much. I wouldn't buy it again because I am sure I can find another product that will lift my roots. I don't want to waste the money on this product just to have gold roots again. It may have been my fault for not using a product meant for my natural shade, but this isn't a natural color. I am new to the coloring hair at home so I will eventually find something.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/5/2011 10:47:00 AM More reviews by babythequeen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

This is not a very good dye. I tried it out by putting a few streaks throughout my hair. It did not even change the hair color whatsoever.. Not even on my roots that are light dirty blonde. It left me with very dry, brittle hair. Luckily I did not do my whole head. I would rather buy professional bleach, then use a toning shampoo to get that beautiful blonde color. Not recommended!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/31/2010 9:30:00 PM More reviews by smuggie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Oh, when will I learn? L'Oreal, you shouldn't be making hair colour. Or if you insist, please find a way to not have your blondes turn out so brassy! Even with the level eight ash shade, my 7N virgin hair turned into a brassy, blotchy mess - and I'm no stranger to hair colour. Lightening was minimal, and what did happen was, again, super brassy. Possibly the only way the Dream Blonde line would work is if you're already super, pale blonde, or you go all the way and bleach the heck out of your hair and use this to add colour back. Clairol came to the rescue again.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/14/2010 9:48:00 AM More reviews by pungalina

This was NOT a dream but WAS a NIGHTMARE. I Sent for the guarantee refund only to have my envelope returned unopened marked
REFUSED so apparently L'Oreal does not honor its guarantees . So please save yourself and your hair a big problem and skip this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/5/2010 6:17:00 PM More reviews by iluvfob

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

this didnt change my hair color atall it turned my roots orange...i cant believe i paid 15 bucks for this crap!