Burt's Bees Chemical-Free Sunscreen SPF 30 Non-Whitening

1.9

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 3/6/2012 7:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

One of the worst sunscreens I have ever used. I'm heading towards using more natural, paraben-free skin care products so when I saw this I instantly purchased it. I should have read the reviews on here first.

It claims it's non-whitening, but it's really not. At least it isn't unless you have a really light skin tone, mine is tan. It also beads horribly upon application, and while I don't have the type of skin that burns easily, after reading the reviews here, I'm not sold on it's sun protection claims.

The smell is pretty bad, it's a type of chemical smell. I only tried this on a small area, so I can't comment on whether it lasts or is over-powering. I won't be using it again, so that'll remain an unimportant mystery to me.

on 12/15/2011 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure

It's definitely not non-whitening. It made me look like a ghost. I didn't notice the bad smell though.

on 4/20/2011 4:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This was the first physical sun block I have tried. It leaves a white cast and it is very hard to rub in. It is thick and pasty. my skin didn't like it either. It left red irritated bumps under my eyes and felt itchy. I only put it on once and will never use this product again.

on 7/25/2010 9:00:00 PM

It smells like toilets :(

on 7/4/2010 11:21:00 PM

This sunscreen is proof that even companies with a reputation for excellence aren't immune from really bad ideas, or a really bad execution. I bought this sunscreen because I liked everything else I bought from Burt's, and it was a letdown in almost every way. It's difficult to put on, has a crumbly texture and stays on in odd splotches with a sickly yellowish cast (as mentioned in my previous reviews I don't mind a white cast at all, but a jaundiced look is another matter entirely). Two stars for safe ingredients and not making my skin worse.

on 5/29/2010 10:48:00 AM

I love this sunscreen and I am sorry that it did not work for most of the reviewers. I LOVE that it dries matte, and I think it makes my skin look healthy while protecting it. Smell also doesn't bother me as it dissipates quickly.... Great product.

on 4/22/2010 12:33:00 PM

hmmm...not sure about this one. I bought this because I am looking for a cruelty-free, chemical free sunscreen. its hard to rub in and it smells like a doctor's office. i have noticed it does ball up on the skin a bit and leaves it feeling "grippy." I felt like I needed to wash my hands after I put it on. I think I am going to just shell out the money and try the california baby brand. this stuff kind of sucks. if it were cheaper, it would be different and more tolerable, but for 15 bucks, its kind of a waste of money. it gets 2 lippies for the fact that it is chemical and cruelty free.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I felt pretty smart when I found this on clearance at Target, but when I got home and removed the safety seal, I found out why it was marked down: it smells awful! I put some on my hands despite the smell; shortly my spouse walked into the room and said, "what smells like urinal cakes?" He's right, it smells just like toilet cleaner! Nasty!

Other than that, the active ingredient in this is titanium dioxide - so how exactly is this "chemical-free"? I usually like Burt's Bees products but this one was a big disappointment.

on 10/28/2009 10:38:00 PM

I want to start off by saying that I love Burt's Bees. Especially their lip balm products.
BUT...I ABSOLUTELY HATED THIS SUN SCREEN! I didn't know about this site when I bought it, and I really wish that I did.
It's great that the sunscreen is so natural, but OH MY GOD...this was by far the worst sunscreen that I have ever tried. It was so freakin' hard to apply. The product kept crumbling up on my face as I applied, it was almost like I was using a scrub (like how your "dead cells" crumble...hope I'm explaining okay). I hated the smell, too.
I tried oh-so-hard to keep using this product since it was expensive, but I had to give up because I hated it so much. I threw it away even though there was a lot left, and I don't do that often.

on 10/18/2009 1:12:00 PM

I should have read the reviews on this sunscreen before I purchased it. It is just terrible! I really wanted a chemical-free sunscreen and this sunscreen was a major FAIL in so many ways.
It leaves a yellow/white film on your face. I'm pale so my face looked sickly yellow. It's runny. It sheds (you can rub it off easily). Smells bad. STAY AWAY! I returned it the very next day.